DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Patch Notes for 1.20 - Deep Dive & General Discussion

Hi @GioProductions @WiiMoritz,

As a fan of the sport and the game, my opinion is that it would be a nice idea, especially for the committed fanbase who want more control of their races.

I can certainly put the idea to the Developers and see what their opinions from a game and technical point of view would be on this. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

@BarryBL Backup does not work !! it’s us to plant our league! The backup is well proposed after the free trial session, then Q1 and the game does not offer to move to Q2! .. impossible either while waiting for the end of the qualification or by giving up the session ... the game remains blocked on the times table ... we even redid a new league and we had the same problem! I am disgusted ! It stays on "awaiting player"IMG_20200204_220627.thumb.jpg.538d6247d90d7d0cc39c014712607a88.jpg

Edited by Dehel

Second league race since the patch. (Singapur is unplayable for leagues under this conditions) 8 Safety Cars so far. EVERY!!! crash resulted a SC. Cuts (that dont result in winning time) behind a sc give 10 Seconds time penalty which means alot when everybody is stacked. Numerous drive through penalties because missing delta-displays for driving too fast behind the sc.

Nice patch... 

Edited by iosis
  • Agree 1

Hi @iosis,

Is there 8 SC deployments over 1 race. What is the length of your race? Can you provide a video on this for our investigation please. 

8 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi @iosis,

Is there 8 SC deployments over 1 race. What is the length of your race? Can you provide a video on this for our investigation please. 

4 SCs each race. 50%.

Edited by iosis

Hi @iosis,

Is this just SC or VSC and SC combined? Please see below notes from the Deep Dive:

"Safety Car Updates:

·         25%, 50% and 100% race distances have identical deployment rules, except maximum number of deployments which are 2, 5 and 6 respectively. This is designed so that you would still get most of the race session being at racing speed, rather than spending a large proportion under Safety Car conditions."

Also, can you timestamp key moments in the video please. From your feedback, it sounds like the game behaved, in terms of deployment, as limited from the patch notes. 

Just SCs.

it sounds like the game behaved, in terms of deployment, as limited from the patch notes. 

oh it did - but it isnt fun anymore when you prepare hours for a race and then every crash results in a SC and then the results are completely random. We have to switch off SC for the next races or people wont participate anymore.

Also consider this: "Cuts (that dont result in winning time) behind a sc give 10 Seconds time penalty which means alot when everybody is stacked. Numerous drive through penalties because missing delta-displays for driving too fast behind the sc."

I can give you video examples after our steward inquiries are finished.

• Agree 1

On 1/31/2020 at 3:41 PM, sloppysmusic said:

We don't always agree but I do here. If you go for realism in a game you have to have full realism. By this I mean the safety car should not just have a higher chance of coming out, it should either come out or not DEPENDING on the track situation itself not RNG. IRL after a car is on or off the track in such a way as to be possibly hit by cars still racing then a swarm of marshals invade the circuit as well as a crane or two and this is the cue for the safety car as there are now multiple safety concerns. In the game after a crash or spin out the debris vanishes much quicker than irl because thats what games DO, keep the action flowing with minimal interruption. I read that post patch it is now more probable that the safety car would come out (there should be zero 'probability' at all involved!) and it can come out up to a maximum of 6 times. 6 times may be a good target to aim for in a full length race but not a short one and the reason it has only happened a max of 6 times in irl is that pro F1 drivers are not inherently morons, shunters or totally incompetent. Hence the stringent racing super license they MUST achieve before they are allowed to even compete at all. In the game anyone with a few spare bucks and zero talent can play, rightly so, but their circus like behavior should not ruin the race for everyone else. Their behavior already does enough damage as it is without a higher chance of the safety car. For example is there anything to stop buddies teaming up in an online race with fixing the result by whoever trails after a certain amount of time deliberately crashing on track and causing havoc just to bring an SC out to guarantee a victory for his chum? 

I believe the SC and the marshal /crane circus SHOULD be accurate to real life but not available in a 5 lap online sprint, only in 50 % or 100% races for example. The league racers are self policing. If the SC came out every time it should the disruption would be investigated and the offending drivers warned and banned if necessary. 

The safety car rules post patch are IMO almost, ALMOST another assist or even cheat /exploitation to be used by certain people who wish to win at all cost. 

Please tell me there is NO SC available when there damage is turned off? If not what's to stop me when leading the race ramming the first tail ender in a short race and sitting smugly while I lead the pack train like until the end of the race?

I believe the SC work done by devs in this patch is a shortcut. Instead of better coding reflection action on track, all that has been done is changing a few constants and /or variables to make the SC come out more often. This code better not be used for the next years game, I'm watching you Codies! 

👀📺😎

I agree 100%. You should revert this part of the patch.

• Agree 2

Agreed. To what I have been reading this far it seems to me that the SC part of the patch has focused too much on bringing out the SC by popular demand and lost track of the real life situation. Having a race with highly competend drivers will probably result in a more real life simulation were a race with novice or less competend drivers will result in the maximum SC appearance were it eventually becomes irritating. The balance probably lies in between post- and after patch situation. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

@BarryBL 

Did you see the problem I mentioned above? For info my league works like this 

Free pratice 90min Real time qualification Race 50% 

Whether it's my current league or a new league .. impossible to move to Q2, "Waiting for players" for all players in the league and no proposal continue

There were some points I'd like to talk about

On 1/31/2020 at 4:41 PM, sloppysmusic said:

I believe the SC and the marshal /crane circus SHOULD be accurate to real life but not available in a 5 lap online sprint, only in 50 % or 100% races for example.

Is SC enabled in a 5 lap race? Older F1 titles didn't allow you to turn the option on if you had less than 25% race distance.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:41 PM, sloppysmusic said:

it should either come out or not DEPENDING on the track situation itself not RNG.

The reason why randomness is used as the variable is most likely because setting up zones would then be easier. The car's position in a zone just most likely modifies the chance of Safety Car coming out, which I'd say is quite close to how it works in real life. It's just that other variables are significantly harder to include than this one, so I don't really blame the programmers for going a much more stable / easier to manage route... or something 🙂 

Edited by UP100

53 minutes ago, Dehel said:

@BarryBL 

Did you see the problem I mentioned above? For info my league works like this 

Free pratice 90min Real time qualification Race 50% 

Whether it's my current league or a new league .. impossible to move to Q2, "Waiting for players" for all players in the league and no proposal continue

Hi @Dehel

I have yes, it is something myself and the Developers are currently investigating. I'm hoping to have an update at some point next week on the subject.

There should be 2 variables in the lobby settings to change the sensititivity of SC-appearance. Opt 1: Pre patch, Opt 2: Post Patch.

Our league league was totally fine with the SC settings before this patch released.

1 minute ago, iosis said:

Our league league was totally fine with the SC settings before this patch released.

But the SC wasn't working pre patch? I mean the short term solution here is to turn the SC off. 

I agree there should be sensitivity settings, and possibly a setting to reduce the max number of SC appearances as four in a 50% race is a lot. But then street circuits like Singapore and Monaco are going to be mad like that.

Watched your twitch video from above, hard to comment on 3 of the 4 SCs because you can't see the incident, but the very first one shouldn't be one in my opinion, as far as I can see no one retired and there was no blockage on track.

In my first Race with the Patch , we also had numerous SC`s and VSC`s .

Some of them was warrented , but some of them the car would be completely off the track and out of everyones way , but SC still gets triggered.

So just needs to tighten up on when to enable it , surely not that hard to programme it for any part of the car still on the Tarmac etc etc.

17 hours ago, iosis said:

There should be 2 variables in the lobby settings to change the sensititivity of SC-appearance. Opt 1: Pre patch, Opt 2: Post Patch.

I don’t think that’s an option, meaning you would need two versions of the game running. An option to set the max number of SC’s is a better way and probably easier to implement. Best way however is to find the right balance without ruining the actual appearance of the SC. But that’s the most difficult part. 

I think this SC update is pretty good except for the track limits under SC (10-second penalties etc.) which is a complete joke. I'm gonna quote another well-known league racer as I agree with his point completely and can't say it better, "It comes out when there is a crash even as in real life. But in real F1 drivers aren't that stupid and don't crash every lap". The bigger problem is that people can't stop crashing and take way too many risks. I'm pretty sure there would be as many SCs in real life too if people would crash so much...

EDIT: In our league race last Friday on Russia we got one SC and one VSC because people retired on track/crashed in dangerous places

Edited by Mikulitsi
  • Agree 6

Yes exactly i completely agree Mikulitsi.

We have been fighting to actually get the safety car for years and it finally happened. Whatever you guys do Barry, please dont revert the changes in the patch, work your way up from there. Yes, It could need some tweaking, and a little less frequency for not dangerous incidents would be good.

But its just as Miku said... Its the driving that brings it out very frequently, I watched the posted league race, and most of the SCs were justified. Its not like its not reflecting real-life, its doing just that pretty good. Look at 2019 Singapore GP, three Safety Cars. Singapore is kind of Safety Car heavy... And with these accidents in that League race? Its kind of expected to have a few... Reflects real-life pretty good.

Edited by Jimmyslade
  • Agree 3

As I mentioned earlier I don't like artificial limits on game /race rules. If the race is crash heavy there should be no limit on how many times the SC comes out. If the situation warrants an sc it comes out, if it doesn't it does not. I'm not the only one who starts to feel an eery sense of immersion in a game or sim when the coding starts to mirror real life physics and rules. If the players in a race can't drive on track well enough to avoid double digit safety cars then maybe, just maybe, they will learn to drive better or the deliberate shunters will have race bans from league organizers. Like in real life. 

The current coding I believes completely disables safety cars once the 6th has come out. The reasoning for this is to keep the game flowing I believe. This should definitely be an option for the race organizer. A sliding bar in options with the choice of disabled ,2,4,6 or unlimited. That would make everyone happy surely? 

• Agree 2

Hello guys.

Can someone explain, should the drivers make a crashes or not. My AI drivers just run like a train-on-rails on one trajectory and never make a mistakes (sometimes block wheels)

4 hours ago, Enlate said:

Hello guys.

Can someone explain, should the drivers make a crashes or not. My AI drivers just run like a train-on-rails on one trajectory and never make a mistakes (sometimes block wheels)

I made a post on this subject but for the moment I have no answer ... I also find that the AI is horrible in the league, while rather well in career ...

@BarryBL pls help us ! 🙂

• Agree 1

1. In Singapore, I drove 61 laps behind Vettel and He never made a mistake or changed the trajectory!

2. Music does not play during race replays!

Dear creators, please fix these problems!

Edited by Race Squad

11 hours ago, Race Squad said:

1. In Singapore, I drove 61 laps behind Vettel and He never made a mistake or changed the trajectory!

2. Music does not play during race replays!

Dear creators, please fix these problems!

this problem are very important. 😉

• Disagree 2