Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

[F1 2019]- AI levels of aggression

One of the cars hits mine during the start, and it's been a long time, because F1 2019 is more aggressive than F1 2018.

F1 2019 AI in offline mode is more aggressive, including very often one of the cars hits mine, takes my car off the track at the start, following the course of the start naturally, and even sends a warning: "You caused a collision com ... "This is very annoying.
I have already sent screenshots and videos to the Steam forum, knowing that there is a member of the Codemaster developer team there. I don't know why my screenshots and videos are deleted from the Steam forum.
After months I decided to post here for Codemaster to fix this annoying problem.
If F1 2020 continues with these problems I will not buy the Codemaster F1 anymore.

Please, Codemaster fix this problem.

Even though I have some nice little battles with the Ai, from what I can tell is they lack some general awareness in some scenarios. Sometimes they abruptly close of space that is not theirs and if you don't get out of harms way you are done for the day. I like aggressive Ai as I do not like Ai that drive around single file and like a train, however I believe for a developer it is always that ongoing quest to find the right balance between aggression, intelligence and realism. I do not underestimate the complexity of this task. 

What concerns me more is the collision model. It is alarming when I have been hit in the rear by the Ai and the front wing fails. This type behavior should be on the list for development.  

Edited by Coanda

Hi @edsonnery5 and @Coanda,

I've edited the title to make something a little more precise. I've also moved this to 'Technical Assistance' for now as this is a game performance related query.

If you would like to report a problem, please complete the below information. We need this to replicate any issues so I can pass them to the Developers to investigate. Regards your issue, comparisons between the two in very similar situations would be important. 

• Description of the problem:
  • Platform: 
  • Game version:
  • Game mode:
  • Players:
  • Lead up to problem: 
  • Can you replicate the issue?

Please note on this subject, the AI was designed to more responsive and reactive to situations on track. If you feel there are repeat, erratic incidents in-game, please post a video onto this thread.

• Agree 1

Problem is when they take you out YOU are given the penalty & damage and not them.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ridefree77 said:

Problem is when they take you out YOU are given the penalty & damage and not them.

I have this same feeling when i race and in battle with the AI. I am only wondering if Codemasters would do anything to fix this with F1 2019, because i am not sure if we will receive any patch left for F1 2019..

@BarryBL maybe you can let us know with all the extra provided issues like SC, VSC, AI issue as above etc, if we still will receive any patch for F1 2019 or is it closed? 

And I don't know if anyone did mention that if you are in Practise programme and you cross the Speedtrap, the speedtrap text on screen on the right above corner will get mixer up with the Practise programme info. Let me know so I know if i can let Codemasters know with an bug report with a picture.

Edited by GioProductions
Text

Posted (edited)

Problem 1. The AI get no penalties for damage and drive accordingly, they don't care if their car gets damaged.

Problem 2. The AI REFUSE to cede a place until COMPLETELY OVERTAKEN. They will race you into half a car width of a corner on street circuit even though you're 3/4 of a car length ahead.

Problem 3. The AI driving against other AI ignore the player or each other. If 3 wide and you're on the outside, the second car keeps racing the first and ignores you. Often results in the player being pushed off wide or spun even when the player is marginally in front. If you're in the middle, even in front, they will attempt to sandwich you. Not intentionally, just because they both race you and ignore each other.

Problem 4. The AI is "perfect" and therefore any collisions caused are the players fault.

Edited by glenmack

At this moment in time, I cannot confirm anything with the F1 2019 cycle. 

However, I can take the AI feedback and pass it on to the handling team for development moving forward.

Posted (edited)

@BarryBL

Please do pass this along as evidence.

This happened this morning, as if F1 knew I could do with some proof of their bad AI. Or maybe it just happens A LOT. I nailed every complaint in the space of 2 corners, enjoy.

1. (No penalties for damage) Lewis smashes his front wing into my front and then back wheels, takes no damage, spins me off and retains 2nd place. (Damage level:SIMULATION).

2. (Not ceding places) Lewis can fight for corner 1, but by corner 2 has lost the place, but refuses to brake OR take a penalty for going over the kerb, so spins me instead. In slow mo, you can SEE him turning into my back wheel.

3. (AI ignoring each other) Bottas is on my outside and we are racing for places, yet Lewis is still racing me like I have somewhere to go on the outside, trying to force me wide. In a corner which he has no intention of going off the track for.

4. (Not AI's fault apparently) No notification of what should be a 2 second penalty for Lewis causing a major accident.

Edited by glenmack
Video embedding

Hi @glenmack

In my opinion, that's up for debate. I think a key thing for examples like this is that its player interpretation.

If you look at 0:50 in your example, LH still has a front wing alongside your rearwing. However, the door is slammed shut (FYI I would more than likely do the same) and he has nowhere to go. He has cars directly behind him, so if he brakes and lifts he causes a major accident. Running 3 wide in T1 at Spain, imo, can be done, its just very difficult to do. 

There was also lots of space on the outside near VB, so, to play devil's advocate, you could have not taken the apex and ran in the middle of the track, like you did in T1. In you pause at 0:08, VB ends up very wide and 2 into 1 apex doesn't go. With my 'race steward' hat on, I'd say there's 2 parts of small contact in T1, and a cut across in T2 which makes the chance of an incident pretty high. 

However, again, its all opinion. I'd be interested to see what others think.

You can call it a semantic but I think it's a question of the AI being stupid, not being agressive. The AI will just follow its racing line, no matter what, which is kinda dumb. I believe this is what was showcased in that video by glenmack. Hamilton is not ramming him, he's just going back to it's line even if it means crashing into the player. And, in slow mo, as they touch, it pushes the AI off track and at that point the AI should just yield and accept putting the wheels off track. Instead, the AI just pushes in the opposite direction to stay onto the track (which makes it look like intentional ramming). So again, in summary, it's just the AI being stupid and keeping its line no matter what.

And, while we can all argue that this is what racing is (fighting for the optimal line when overtaking), real drivers don't stupidly crash into one another. Whenever they have nowhere to go, at worse, they'll put both wheels off the track in order not to crash.

It is true though that the video from glenmack is not the best example ever and I can agree with BarryBL, since it's very debatable, since everybody was stuck together. By that I mean, it would be OK if the AI "SOMETIMES" tries to keep its line and causes crashes. It does happen in real F1. But, in F1 2019, AI will always keep its line (say 99% of the time, just for the sake of not saying "always").

I had numerous races where AIs completely ignores me overtaking them and just drive as if I don't exist.

As for the penalty, it is true that you will ALWAYS be the one getting a penalty against the AI, even if it's their fault. But, in my F1 2019 career, I have seen AIs getting 5s penalties for things that didn't happen with me. So I guess they can get penalties??? But clearly, not when it happens with against a player.

An aggression level slider, just like the one in AC, would be very nice as a new feature. Issue is that they give you good amount of space on the outside but the inside is a no no.

Seriously getting fed up with this and hope this gets fixed. I'm tired of getting ambushed by the AI, especially when they have zero repercussions. It's absolutely absurd that they don't even spin whatsoever, and most infuriating when they hit you. I just turned off and walked away after Kvyat just rams me coming out of town two in Baku, gets me a bit sideways then floors it into my side until I'm at 90 degrees to the track and continues to keep his pedal down, making it impossible for me to even correct my car. All this after fighting for 95% of a race, fully investing all the time of a full race weekend for this to happen.

Getting close to abandoning this game with this ridiculousness.

Edited by SeagMRT