Jump to content Jump to content

G25 Clutch issues

RacerRune

I have no idea if the powers that be reads these forums,. or if these issues that has been raised before, but here goes:

Set up: Logitech G25 with manual H pattern and clutch

First of all  - cars drop out of gears, seemingly at random - I can see no in game event that correlates to my car going into neutral, but it happens quite frequently, both with H-pattern with or without clutch.
(these are the only modes I have tested extensively thus far)

Secondly there is no dead zone adjustment for the clutch, thus I tend to miss gears a lot as the clutch pedal must be at maximum depression for the new gear to engage.
If it fails to engage I am stuck in neutral which is detrimental.

This is counter intuitive to every car i have ever driven; any pedal will have a progressive engagement, and it should be possible to engage a new gear without flooring the clutch 100 percent.
Granted this can be alleviated by setting up a new axis in the Logitech software, but it should not be necessary to have the customers fiddle around that much for a work around to a flaw in development.

To paraphrase: The window for a new gear to engage is to small on the clutch pedal axis, causing a lot of frustrating mis-shifts
(It seems likely that other wheel user are also affected by this, but i would not know as my "momo" is retired, and I have only one wheel to test with)

Adjust the default values or better yet, implement a dead zone to the "bottom out" value of the pedal.

For now I have given up on using the clutch altogether,  as I can see no tangible benefits to it and only the above mentioned drawbacks.

That being said, I think you have a great little game on your hands here and I hope it will become very successful for you.

Yours,

Rune Løkke

I always wondered about these gear drop-outs, whether they were related to gearbox damage after my numerous mishaps or not ;). A bit annoying but I wouldn't say they happen often, when I don't damage my car, I get them once every few stages at most.

Agree about the clutch - as of now, despite possibility of assignment to axis, it still works as a on/off button with no adjustments implemented whatsoever, making quick downshifts with heel & toe difficult. Peculiar thing is, the clutch engagement "window" seems to be wider on upshifts than downshifts, so You can upshift much faster then in sequential mode. That's why I decided to keep using it after all and I encourage You not to give up on clutch yet! During the first hour day after installing the game I was unable to downshift at all, because of problems You mention, but after a couple of days I got used to it. Just remember to keep the clutch pressed a bit longer than in other sims. 

A better implementation in the future will be welcomed, though!
Thanks for the encouragement and consensus JellyDriver - Ill try it again, but I feel my driving is better without the clutch overall, even powerslides / scandinavian flicks seems actually easier to accomplish without clutch, and I feel I still miss so many crucial fast gear changes that the speed bonus is more then lost after a few mis-shifts.

That being said, I am still an absolute noob at the game with only a few first place finishes and only 4 cars bought thus far.
RacerRune said:
Thanks for the encouragement and consensus JellyDriver - Ill try it again, but I feel my driving is better without the clutch overall, even powerslides / scandinavian flicks seems actually easier to accomplish without clutch, and I feel I still miss so many crucial fast gear changes that the speed bonus is more then lost after a few mis-shifts.

That being said, I am still an absolute noob at the game with only a few first place finishes and only 4 cars bought thus far.
So You're still much better than me, 'cause I've never managed to get higher than 4th against these Pro-AI bastards ;). ScFlicks or any cool techniques are a no-no for me at the moment as I'm too concentrated on clutch during slow downshifts :D. A mis-shift or two on a stage is good enough for my level, but for anything better, fast and reliable shifting algorithm is needed. Lets' wait and see what CM can come up with.
Agree, old fashioned H-shifter cars do  gear drop a lot more, and agree  The window for a new gear to engage is to small. Devs should set a higher value by adding a few-hundred milliseconds
  • 2 months later...
Unfortunately the RX update has fixed the clutch and H pattern issue, but has introduced the bigger issue of missing a gear and then having to shift into neutral and hold it there for about a second before you find any gear again.
Dropping out of gear randomly was slightly annoying but didn't bother me much before, because you could hear it and instantly shift.
Sitting in neutral for that long before you can shift into gear again is actually a bit frustrating.
  • 2 weeks later...
Clutch and H shifter is now working post RX;
This is a huge improvement, and I can live with the issue Cainn23 describes, even if its annoying, its a lot better then the random dropping out of gear, which is also fixed.

After a few stages, my misshifts were all but gone, and when I on occasion need to reacquire a gear due to a misshift, it can be done without loosing to much speed, since you can hear it happening.

Personally I would love to be able to use the clutch with sequential as well ....
Yes, since this old thread has been bumped and people might read it, I would love to be able to use the clutch with sequential too. Actually think it's pretty necessary in some of the cars for hairpins. As it is you end up doing stupid shit like trying to stay on the throttle while you handbrake to keep the revs up. On the surface it seems a simple change to me, but maybe all the auto clutch stuff with sequential makes it more difficult to implement idk.

Archived