Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

[F1 2019]- [LEAGUES]- De-Sync and Multiplayer Performance Issues

Dear codemasters and @BarryBL

So yesterday we had the first race of our new league season. 
Hype was high. 80+ viewers in the stream. Don't know what we were thinking.

Once again we couldn't start in the end cause the game just didn't let us. 
Sometimes it desyncs, often the game crashes for people, but yesterday it was your reliance on steam that killed our fun. 

If you guys are serious about this game in a multiplayer perspective, it is of the UTMOST importance that you stop being reliant on the wacky steam servers. That you stop the game from crashing at random whenever we try to play multiplayer and that people don't get desynced on starting the session. 

These things happen almost every race. 

Platform: PC
When does this issue occur: Almost every time we play online
Severity of issue: Ultra severe, you guys should be ashamed that it isn't fixed yet. 
Solutions:
-Take your own game serious enough to make real dedicated servers that don't fall apart if the hosts game crashes or gets that horrible fps glitch. And don't be reliant on steam. 
-Fix the crashes. 
-Fix the drivers being desynced with eachother. 

Once again we got 'stability' updates in the patch that seem to have made it all worse.
Also when you do stability 'fixes' can you maybe specify what exactly got fixed? cause honestly we don't see it. 

Edited by Bicarda
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Hi @Bicarda

I've edited the titled and moved to Technical Assistance as its more suited to here 👍

Just a few technical questions really to help me identify the problem:

•  With replication, could you tell me the exact steps so we can try and replicate it here please
  •  Do the same players have the issues?
  •  Do all players have issues or is it just some?
  •  Can you provide video with the issues on?
  •  Have you all checked basic connectivity settings individually to ensure that there is minimal chance of user-specific issues?

Many thanks. If there is issues, we need to be able to accurately replicate these.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:58 AM, BarryBL said:

•  With replication, could you tell me the exact steps so we can try and replicate it here please

Thanks for answering @BarryBL
Startup f1 2019. Get 19 friends to play with you. try to start a 50% session with quali without any of the 20 drivers' game crashing in the lobby, during loading, or being desynced or whatever. 
You'll find it's impossible to do this reliably. 

Steam dying on you during a league race is, of course, only replicable at certain times. 

•  Do the same players have the issues?

some players have it more than others but it can happen to litteraly every one. in my experience the host seems to be a bit more at risk of stuff going wrong. 

•  Do all players have issues or is it just some?

regarding crashing it can happen to anyone. it doesn't happen often per person but with 20 people waiting there's almost always people crashing out making the wait longer. crashing happens in the lobby a lot. 

regarding desync where everybody is waiting for one person to tell they're done loading i think connection plays a part but it can still happen to anyone. apart from this ruining the flow of 5 lappers in league racing this usually requires a restart or that person just doesn't get to drive. 

regarding steam dying, yes, it affects everyone. and steam dying is very surely outside of your control but being reliant on them isn't. it doesn't work well. if you're at all serious about this game we need dedicated servers already with downtimes that are announced beforehand. 

•  Can you provide video with the issues on?

regarding crashing i think you know what a crashing game looks like. the screen goes black and you get asked to send codemasters info so they can fix the issue. (lololololol)
it doesn't happen consistently but it happens consistently if 20 people are involved to 1 of them. 

regarding the desync there have been countless video's posted... mostly one person holds up the entire lobby. sometimes he can start the race while the rest is waiting.. sometimes it's perpetual black screen.  depends on what check is missed i suppose. Here's an example during open lobbies. 
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/543230380?t=02h04m02s
Sometimes we get to race but 2 cars are desynced with eachother as can be seen here. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/500096120?t=00h04m52s

Steam dying i don't think we need a video for. sometimes it's totally dead sometimes it's half dead and some people are able to get in lobbies... 

😐

•  Have you all checked basic connectivity settings individually to ensure that there is minimal chance of user-specific issues?

It's incredibly consistent, happens between people with good connection (close to eachother) too. 
and even if the connection isn't the best the game deals with it incredibly badly. i even suspect some of the crashes are because of network issues. people joining, leaving. 

People joining a session causes a screenfreeze for everyone too, sometimes someone leaving causes the host to get horrible freezes. it's abysmal.
(if you want to replicate just play online and you'll see. no hard extra steps necessary. just run steam, run the game in dx11 cause dx12 WILL crash your game the first chance it gets,  and play some lobbies. everytime someone joins you'll get a screenfreeze. ) 

That advice goes for all issues. they're not hard to replicate. the game is crawling with them. just play your game. organize some races between the boys. all these horrible issues and more will be very obvious within an hour of playing. 

On 2/2/2020 at 12:57 PM, Bicarda said:

-Take your own game serious enough to make real dedicated servers that don't fall apart if the hosts game crashes or gets that horrible fps glitch. And don't be reliant on steam. 

Yeah, that would be nice.

HI @Bicarda

We have begun to run online unranked lobbies on a Friday as a way to test settings and stability, and I have personally not ran into any major issues as of yet so far. Maybe other people from the same lobbies have experienced things differently. Improving stability within the game is something we want to be the best it can. Is your league performing better after 1.21?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BarryBL said:

HI @Bicarda

We have begun to run online unranked lobbies on a Friday as a way to test settings and stability, and I have personally not ran into any major issues as of yet so far. Maybe other people from the same lobbies have experienced things differently. Improving stability within the game is something we want to be the best it can. Is your league performing better after 1.21?

Hi @BarryBL

Thanks for the reply.

Oh wow that's amazing!
Can you please provide us with more info as to how you were able to achieve this amazing feat? So the rest of the community can replicate it too? 
-What platform did you play on?
-How many friends did you manage to muster? 
-Who was the host and did he really not have issues? for how long a time? 
-Did people frequently leave/join session as would happen in a real-world scenario? (even in league races cause of desyncs and crashes)
-Are you playing on lan? using dx12? 
-Where there people in the lobby from a few countries away? 
-Can you show us a video of the game reliably not screen freezing when people join your lobby? 

The rest of us plebs want the same working game you are playing right now!
So please! don't be so mysterious. Tell us what steps you took to have the game work as intended. 
Almost all the people trying to play the game online are getting fed up with it and now it looks like you have found a way to get it working!

As to your other question: The safety car is a lot better after patch 1.21, and while it is unbelievable that it took years for you guys to get around to doing that, credit where it's due. 

The reliability in terms of:
-Fps glitch for the host (Which requires rejoining the lobby and passing the risk of it happening to someone else) 
-Screen freezes for most people driving when people join the lobby (i think the moment they press "ready up" in the lobby menu)
-People crashing out while waiting in the lobby or loading the track
-People getting desynced while loading in or out of a race, or on the grid and then they can drive and the rest has to wait until they leave
-Cars being invisible to each other and the rest having to deal with them glitching in, out, and over each other
-Not perfectly synchronized start light procedure 
-Timings (gaps) not correct for the first few laps as a spectator (i have a suspicion some people being dsq on formation lap is to blame but not sure) 

And more have all not been improved. I haven't noticed an RPM glitch over the last few days, but then I would eat my hat if you guys would have finally fixed that. 

Last Saturday's league race went reasonably fine. Steam didn't die on us this time. Although the risk is there for every league until the time you take responsibility for it in your own hands and start to provide a reliable service for your customers. So yeah.. "performing better" is not something I would call it lol. Let's just say we all got very lucky steam didn't go down on us again. 

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Bicarda said:

Hi @BarryBL

Thanks for the reply.

Oh wow that's amazing!
Can you please provide us with more info as to how you were able to achieve this amazing feat? So the rest of the community can replicate it too? 
-What platform did you play on?
-How many friends did you manage to muster? 
-Who was the host and did he really not have issues? for how long a time? 
-Did people frequently leave/join session as would happen in a real-world scenario? (even in league races cause of desyncs and crashes)
-Are you playing on lan? using dx12? 
-Where there people in the lobby from a few countries away? 
-Can you show us a video of the game reliably not screen freezing when people join your lobby? 

The rest of us plebs want the same working game you are playing right now!
So please! don't be so mysterious. Tell us what steps you took to have the game work as intended. 
Almost all the people trying to play the game online are getting fed up with it and now it looks like you have found a way to get it working!

As to your other question: The safety car is a lot better after patch 1.21, and while it is unbelievable that it took years for you guys to get around to doing that, credit where it's due. 

The reliability in terms of:
-Fps glitch for the host (Which requires rejoining the lobby and passing the risk of it happening to someone else) 
-Screen freezes for most people driving when people join the lobby (i think the moment they press "ready up" in the lobby menu)
-People crashing out while waiting in the lobby or loading the track
-People getting desynced while loading in or out of a race, or on the grid and then they can drive and the rest has to wait until they leave
-Cars being invisible to each other and the rest having to deal with them glitching in, out, and over each other
-Not perfectly synchronized start light procedure 
-Timings (gaps) not correct for the first few laps as a spectator (i have a suspicion some people being dsq on formation lap is to blame but not sure) 

And more have all not been improved. I haven't noticed an RPM glitch over the last few days, but then I would eat my hat if you guys would have finally fixed that. 

Last Saturday's league race went reasonably fine. Steam didn't die on us this time. Although the risk is there for every league until the time you take responsibility for it in your own hands and start to provide a reliable service for your customers. So yeah.. "performing better" is not something I would call it lol. Let's just say we all got very lucky steam didn't go down on us again. 

It's not great, that is for sure. I understand the frustrations. But there is only one person on your side here and this reply isn't helpful.

Over the years we did some stuff that has improved our Multiplayer experience. It's basic stuff mostly, but I'll share it anyway:

F1 2019 is highly reliant on the players individual network connection (which sucks btw, therefore: gib dedicated servers app pls😭). So make sure your Network is as good as it can be. The following steps are (mostly) proven to have helped me and my friends: 

- Don't play on wifi, use an ethernet cable connection instead (Bonus: Use a good cable, a good switch, a good router, ...);

- turn background stuff off, especially if your pc is on the weaker side (check Task Manager to see if something is using up resources);

- tell your mom to maybe not use the internet to stream that stupid show again (seriously though, if your network is maybe not so great, make the best of it by being the only one or the only thing (!) using it while playing);

- the one with the best hardware and network should be the one to host the game, although I can not confirm if this really helps, but we do it anyway as part of our Ritual to the gods;

Following these steps, F1 2019 has been pretty solid for us so far. AI is an absolute sh*tshow still and is constantly ruining games, but that is another problem area I guess.

My guess is that the more people you are playing with, the higher the chance to get one of those nasty problems you described.

Anyway, I hope it helps.