Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Dirt Rally: Painted Car

In a poll, I suggested being able to do more than end-race/start-race in the form of paint (just an option). A couple people say you CAN currently edit liveries. It doesn't sound like its in-game and between races, but it could be fun. How? Something about pssg files or something? How can I paint my favorite car?
Go to http://www.rallygamer.com/dirtrally/tools/texture-design-tools.html and you will find a tool that will allow you to edit the paints. Watch a video on how to make custom liveries from dirt 3, it's the exact same process but with this new tool instead.
In a poll, I suggested being able to do more than end-race/start-race in the form of paint (just an option). A couple people say you CAN currently edit liveries. It doesn't sound like its in-game and between races, but it could be fun. How? Something about pssg files or something? How can I paint my favorite car?
Just to add to what mx43racing said, the tool still doesn't quite work entirely the same as it did on DiRT 3 though. Basically I'll just write down the process just to be clear: 

So yes, download that Ryder pssg editor tool. You'll also need Photoshop with Nvidia's DDS plugin or Ifranviewer and paint.net. Using that pssg tool, select "file>open" and
1. go to the steam/steamapps/common/DiRT Rally/cars/models.
2. find the folder of the car you want to edit (the list is on that site he linked, all the acronyms relate to a car)
3. pick a livery you want to edit (if you want to do it from scratch, you're best off choosing one of the last ones with a higher number, e.g. livery_44- those are the ones that are just one color). 
4. select tex_high.
5. select the one that's just called xxx_tex_high_yy.pssg; that'll open the livery in the pssg editor. [where xxx is the car prefix, and yy is the livery number]
6. a bunch of stuff will appear on the sidebar; for exterior edits, you are interested in the ones called xxx_main.tga, xxx_specocc.tga, and xxx_glass.tga. 
7. Select the xxx_specocc.tga, go up to "textures>export", save it somewhere. 
8. Go to xxx_main.tga; it'll say "could not display preview". To fix this, select the "All Sections" tab, and edit the texelFormat value to just say dxt1 instead of dxt1_srgb. This is crucial. 
9. Now the texture should show up, export it; do the same thing again for xxx_glass.tga. 
10. Open 'em up in photoshop (or whatever you're using), make your edits, save them as DDS files using the settings shown on Rallygamer's site, use the pssg tool to open up the same livery, and just use "textures>import texture" to write over ,main, glass, and specocc with the new ones you edited. 

A few tips: the specocc file makes a handy mask when trying to paint in Photoshop; show only the Alpha layer, select whole canvas, and drag it over to the main file as a new layer, and set that layer to "Multiply". It makes painting waaaaay easier. Also, when you've finished with your main, place it on your specocc file, set it to be about 20% opaque, and add a black & white layer, and it's an easy way to give it a more polished look. 

Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...
Expant said:
How do I get the names on the glass were not transparent?
The only way I've figured out to do this - and it's a pain - is to select all of the letters (with a color range selection or something like that in Photoshop), go to "layers", select ONLY the alpha layer and make it the ONLY one visible, and then paint black into the selection area (while still having the alpha layer selected in the sidebar). That's so far the only way I've been able to do it. 
Anths95 said:
Expant said:
How do I get the names on the glass were not transparent?
The only way I've figured out to do this - and it's a pain - is to select all of the letters (with a color range selection or something like that in Photoshop), go to "layers", select ONLY the alpha layer and make it the ONLY one visible, and then paint black into the selection area (while still having the alpha layer selected in the sidebar). That's so far the only way I've been able to do it. 
Thank you. I will try to do so.

Archived