Sign in to follow this  

Please release Dirt Rally on PS4!!!!!!!

I think  it would be foolish not to port to ps4 and Xbox one. I own neither by the way.

As long as it doesn't sacrifice a single PC feature I see no problem.

Not everyone  has a full on gaming  PC here anyway and these 2 console's are good enough to match a low to avarage gaming PC. If by the end Codies or another team can't port it, Then so be it. But I find that unlikely.

I think it's an interesting approach to do an early access release on PC-only but once the game is finished CM should definitely release it on consoles. I'd be interested in buying the PS4 version.

After more than a decade of console gaming ruining many PC franchises, introducing DLC and monthly subscription services as a norm, dumbing down gaming in terms of content, graphics and control schemes - its nice to see PC gaming is yet again in vogue.

The technical advantage never changed, just consumer behaviour; It's good to see the masses are yet again returning to the best platform, and all though I am not vindictive, it's important to realize this is still a war:
 - we have regained most of the lost ground as PC gamers, but we still need to protect our platform.

Evilsmurf said:
As I've previously said, I want the assetto corsa of rally games, just on Xbox one

I read some ware that they were thinking of porting Accetto Corsa to new gen consoles.
Yep

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-03-assetto-corsa-confirmed-for-xbox-one-and-ps4

Although I voted 'No', I do believe that D:R will come out on console(s). There isn't porting as such any more with this generation of console (XB1/PS4), they were designed with that in mind. It's not that D:R is that much of a beast to run anyway, a few tweaks here and there and they're good to go on console as it's not using any PC exclusive technologies. After all, I think all games developed exclusively for XB1/PS4 are developed on a PC anyway. For instance, haven't Microsoft and Sony both been caught with their pants down by their ankles demo-ing console exclusives at shows which were actually running on PC's? Dummy console on table and PC running the game hidden behind a tablecloth.

I will even go as far as to say that they are already working with early builds for consoles. From a business perspective, it'd be stupid not to.

Reminder: I voted 'No'.

P.S. The problem perceived by many a PC player, rightly or wrongly, is when a game is developed for all platforms using the lowest common denominator as the basis for all visuals/technology/etc. Yes, the PC is usually capable of more than a console and this will become even more realised with the release of DX12. That's when the real discussions of downgrades will start.

Rapster said:
P.S. The problem perceived by many a PC player, rightly or wrongly, is when a game is developed for all platforms using the lowest common denominator as the basis for all visuals/technology/etc. Yes, the PC is usually capable of more than a console and this will become even more realised with the release of DX12. That's when the real discussions of downgrades will start.
DX 12 will not be a revolution for the PC by any stretch of the imagination, its basically a glorified mantle implementation, that has better multi threading, technologies implemented in consoles a long time ago.

(Mantle has not revolutionized anything for all but a few amd users.)

DX12 reduces cpu overhead, so there is some performance gains for people on a low end CPU`s coupled with a high end GPU, which is a minority.

It does however play catch up with the consoles in as much as cross platform development will be easier due to the closer proximity to the hardware in the API and the only real possible end user benefit will come from of cross platform matchmaking in an online scenario.
This has been attempted before and the console players hate it due to their less than stellar peripherals.
FPS is probably out, RPG are out and we are left with arcade / action games.

Now the reason for the appallingly bad PC ports we have seen this last decade has more to do with lack of funding causing almost no PC specific development and optimisation, paired with no thought on GUI, the different input peripherals and the different hardware present.
The PC was regarded as a dead platform for gaming by the suits.
Ports was subsequently done as an afterthought with very small budgets.

Now the PC market is picking up and we are yet again loved by the very same moneymen that fxxed us over for so many years, due to the belief that the consoles would stay the platform of choice among the masses.

It will be years before DX12 will have any significant effect on our gaming, but by that time the war will hopefully be over and the PC will reign supreme both as a battle station and as a living room PC - I.E steam machines.

But it will be touted as a critical upgrade by MS to drive sales of windows 10, as we have seen several iterations of previously.

If anything the console market will have been replaced by handhelds/pads.
 you can educate yourself on DX12 here:
http://wccftech.com/dx12-revealed-compared-dx11/

1. I was referring to perception. DX12 will be seen by many as another thing to use to raise the superiority of the PC. Thank you, I know more than enough about DX12. ;)

2. Cross platform development will only be aided between XB1 and PC, not PS4. DX12 is coming to XB1, too.

3. Microsoft are not touting DX12 to get people to upgrade to Windows 10, at least not yet. DX12 hasn't even been finalized.

4. Consoles will be around for a long time.

Most other points I agree with.

Rapster said:
1. I was referring to perception. DX12 will be seen by many as another thing to use to raise the superiority of the PC. Thank you, I know more than enough about DX12. ;)

I meant no offence, there is so much confusion I wanted to clarify a little what DX12 entails.

2. Cross platform development will only be aided between XB1 and PC, not PS4. DX12 is coming to XB1, too.

Makes sense as it's a windows product.

3. Microsoft are not touting DX12 to get people to upgrade to Windows 10, at least not yet. DX12 hasn't even been finalized.

But as I said, they will. thrust me on this one. :)

4. Consoles will be around for a long time.

This might be the last generation we see in a good while, especially if steambox is a success

RacerRune said:
Rapster said:
DX 12 will not be a revolution for the PC by any stretch of the imagination, its basically a glorified mantle implementation, that has better multi threading, technologies implemented in consoles a long time ago.

(Mantle has not revolutionized anything for all but a few amd users.)

DX12 reduces cpu overhead, so there is some performance gains for people on a low end CPU`s coupled with a high end GPU, which is a minority.

It does however play catch up with the consoles in as much as cross platform development will be easier due to the closer proximity to the hardware in the API and the only real possible end user benefit will come from of cross platform matchmaking in an online scenario.
This has been attempted before and the console players hate it due to their less than stellar peripherals.
FPS is probably out, RPG are out and we are left with arcade / action games.

Now the reason for the appallingly bad PC ports we have seen this last decade has more to do with lack of funding causing almost no PC specific development and optimisation, paired with no thought on GUI, the different input peripherals and the different hardware present.
The PC was regarded as a dead platform for gaming by the suits.
Ports was subsequently done as an afterthought with very small budgets.

Now the PC market is picking up and we are yet again loved by the very same moneymen that fxxed us over for so many years, due to the belief that the consoles would stay the platform of choice among the masses.

It will be years before DX12 will have any significant effect on our gaming, but by that time the war will hopefully be over and the PC will reign supreme both as a battle station and as a living room PC - I.E steam machines.

But it will be touted as a critical upgrade by MS to drive sales of windows 10, as we have seen several iterations of previously.

If anything the console market will have been replaced by handhelds/pads.
 you can educate yourself on DX12 here:
http://wccftech.com/dx12-revealed-compared-dx11/
I found that post really useful, thanks.

Good news for those who want a console release, and those who are worried that a console release will affect the pc version. The article is 3 weeks old, but I only just found it.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/14/dirt-rally-designer-wants-the-game-to-come-to-consoles/

Paul Coleman, lead designer on Dirt Rally, spoke to Red Bull about the change of direction for the franchise and and plans for a console version of the game.

When asked about a console version of the game, Coleman said “ultimately I want players who invested in consoles rather than PCs to be able to experience this game first hand.”

Talking about the early access route they’re taking on PC, he was confident that once the game fully launches, they can “be packaging and curating a console experience from the content and also from the learnings that we had on PC for our console audience… I think it’s something that we should be actively looking to do.”

Do we have a date for E3 2015? It needs about 8 months to translate the game in to ps4 right? Plus an other 3 months to fix balance the game.  it's June next year?

Good news for those who want a console release, and those who are worried that a console release will affect the pc version. The article is 3 weeks old, but I only just found it.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/14/dirt-rally-designer-wants-the-game-to-come-to-consoles/

Paul Coleman, lead designer on Dirt Rally, spoke to Red Bull about the change of direction for the franchise and and plans for a console version of the game.

When asked about a console version of the game, Coleman said “ultimately I want players who invested in consoles rather than PCs to be able to experience this game first hand.”

Talking about the early access route they’re taking on PC, he was confident that once the game fully launches, they can “be packaging and curating a console experience from the content and also from the learnings that we had on PC for our console audience… I think it’s something that we should be actively looking to do.”

So again we as PC gamers can work out the bugs for the console people and then they can enjoy the game again, but isn't this always like it should be.before 2005 (x360) pc-gamers always had the newest games.But after 2005 we got the ports wich i can understand there was a huge warez scene in the pc world and i think developers got fed up with AA titles wich got hacked on release on pc.So they turned to the consoles.But newer games and experimental games like warthunder etc got released first on pc so we can try and find the bugs and then the whole game gets ported to console so they (developers)can earn the console sales to.But pc gaming is on the rise again (finally).Personally i think people who play on consoles have a different view on gaming thats why i'm not a supporter of porting, as i said before i have nothing against consoles but the ports we pc gamers got we're horrendous.

I think it's wise for them to stick with the PC version first and make sure that it plays well by the end of the EA period. If it's good enough on the PC, it should be good on a console too.

Good news can't wait :)

mikelt89 said:
No!!!!!!!!!

Consoles are there for all the crap that PC players don't want.

consoles are more for younger people and pc gamers are mostly older (i think) but as i said before pc gamers want realism and consoles have ruined that look at dirt, call of duty went down just like rainbow six and ghost recon even thief, medal of honor etc.I don't have anything against consoles but they should develop games separately  for both platforms but developers want to squeeze out the most money so they start porting...wich i think is bad, for both platforms.

mikelt89 said:
No!!!!!!!!!

Consoles are there for all the crap that PC players don't want.
Did you even bother to read any of this thread?
I don't think many people posting here have read much into the counter arguments, let alone the whole thread. They also seam to forget what early access is, and codies vision for the game, as if in three months time they decide to do consoles and start adding Ken block into everything

The reason why I voted no : 

It's a early access game.
I have nothing against releasing the finished product on console, but WIP ? knowing how much it cost for each patch a company have to send for its games on console ? Not worth it IMO

Do the consoles have a Early Access programs at all? I have seen betas, but nothing like the Steam early access system.

wezel1977 said:
consoles are more for younger people and pc gamers are mostly older (i think) but as i said before pc gamers want realism and consoles have ruined that look at dirt
The name change to DiRT had nothing to do with consoles (the Colin McRae series was originally a console game that got ported over to pc), and the change of direction, from Rally to Gymkhana, had nothing to do with the guys actually working on the game, it was a management decision. The dickhead that made that decision has now left the building.
wezel1977 said:
So again we as PC gamers can work out the bugs for the console people and then they can enjoy the game again, but isn't this always like it should be
You need to pick a side, you're arguing for both. You don't want a port over, but you don't like being a beta tester. You can't have both, it's one or the other.

Ok SkiddyMcCrash i like being a beta-tester.Sorry sometimes  i can't realy express what i mean to say because english ain't my native language i just hope codemasters stays with the realism type of gaming like we are doing now with Dirt, and i just want to say that consoles brought alot of realism games down as the exampels i stated thats all :).And i don't want that to happen again ;)

lol no worries. The guys working on the new DiRT are mostly the same guys that worked on DiRT1,2+3, but the person who changed/wrecked/ruined the DiRT series has gone, to dumb down/revitalise some other games company. The guys at Codemasters that I've talked to are rally fans, and they want to make an as realistic as possible rally game.