Sign in to follow this  

Please release Dirt Rally on PS4!!!!!!!

they can wait is what they can...and bow down to the superiority of pc. muuuhhaahahaha....
don't care for the *new* consoles they failed even before they it the market. in terms of technology they didn't come with any thing serious and therefore should not be taking serious anymore ...
but we all know this will happen anyway ;)

rødelyn said:
they can wait is what they can...and bow down to the superiority of pc. muuuhhaahahaha....
don't care for the *new* consoles they failed even before they it the market. in terms of technology they didn't come with any thing serious and therefore should not be taking serious anymore ...
Do you own a PS4? Have you ever played on one? Do you know why consoles are actually better for games?

JZStudios said:
rødelyn said:
Do you own a PS4? Have you ever played on one? Do you know why consoles are actually better for games?
i owned about every consol worth buing the last 15-20 years playstation 1 and 2 and 3
xbox the first and 360...
had the old sega the old atari had the dreamcast consol. and a couple of minor ones... so year id say om qualified to tell you with so called next gen consoles don't have anything next gen about them.... the graphic cards manufactures are already working on gpu for the next couple of years that will make the xbox one and ps4 look like a commedore 64.... 

but then again don't see the point of the question really... we all know this is gonna happen :D money money money

As of my post today, I see that the current poll results stand at 54% to 45% against a release of Dirt Rally on PS4 (and other consoles). I think the reason for some players arguing against a console port is because of the historical 'dumbing down' of several games offered on both PC and consoles in two areas: graphics (advanced lighting models, soft shadows, particle effects, reflections, 4k screen resolution, etc.) and physical realism (i.e. in-game physics, damage, etc.).

As some players have already commented during the past several months of this poll, I personally don't have a problem with a console port as long as development continues primarily on the PC for the best possible simulation. In fact, I welcome optimized console ports of Dirt Rally once the game is ready for final release. Big sales numbers for a game title means future versions will continue to be offered. That would be a win-win for everybody.

rødelyn said:
JZStudios said:
rødelyn said:
i owned about every consol worth buing the last 15-20 years playstation 1 and 2 and 3
xbox the first and 360...
had the old sega the old atari had the dreamcast consol. and a couple of minor ones... so year id say om qualified to tell you with so called next gen consoles don't have anything next gen about them.... the graphic cards manufactures are already working on gpu for the next couple of years that will make the xbox one and ps4 look like a commedore 64.... 

but then again don't see the point of the question really... we all know this is gonna happen :D money money money
Okay, so no, you haven't played the new console then. I'd like to sum up real quick here.
1. No, consoles are not $2000 gaming rigs. Point taken. Stupid point, but point taken. The next gen consoles are a huge leap over the old ones and that makes it a next gen console. Not a PC.
2. Consoles are cheaper, quicker and easier, and sell to a larger community. This is for multiple reasons, being
      1. Consoles are mass made in bulk, as such, Microsoft and Sony probably get a nice discount for the sheer number of product their buying, bringing down the retail cost, of which is now $350 for both. I can tell you that a $350 PC really kind of sucks, but "PC master race" guys are okay with crappy PC's but not consoles. For some reason.
      2. Console players don't have to worry about compatibility. This is a major point. This alone is the reason so many Dev's turn to consoles. Every single one is the same. With the next gen consoles also being pretty near identical. Having to create for only 1 platform is quicker, easier, and cheaper than working for PC. They don't have to worry about all the different OS's, CPU's, GPU's, RAM, graphics settings, it's all the same for every single console.
      3. Going with the above point, optimization for consoles therefore goes way above what's available on PC. MGSV looks fantastic on PS4, and many people are calling the best optimized game of the year, or probably last few years. Guess what? While the PC port was really good, it wasn't perfect because there's just so many different PC's that can't all be accounted for.
     4. I'm one of those guys that likes physical copies, as are many console players. I hate Steam, and I don't like digital downloads. It's nice knowing that if at any point you feel like returning a game, you don't have to return all your games in bulk and rebuy the ones you didn't want to return, without questions asked. Stupid Steam made me pay like $20 extra bucks buying back games I already had. People also share games, trade, or bring them to a friends house, which is easier than carrying a PC, I would know.
      5. Graphics. Most people seem to only attribute this with resolution and AA, which is irritating and wrong. That being said, most console games run at 1080 and being console, you can't really tell the difference between 900, 1080, or 4k from 10 feet away. You also don't really notice it while playing.
     6. All of these bring down the cost of producing games for console. Yes, Forza can be ported to PC, they've done it using DX12, but then they would have to rework almost everything behind the scenes to get it to run on PC up to their own standards, as well as Master Race community.

I'd also like to throw in framerate. It may be just because I don't have a high Hz monitor, and the TV is really old, but I don't see a big difference between 30 and 60, However, it is more evident on PC, again because your so close to the screen.

This vote is hilarious. The yes votes are the ps4 owners who want it and the no votes are the pc players who already have it. Surely the no votes should be ps4 owners who don't want it? 

This vote is hilarious. The yes votes are the ps4 owners who want it and the no votes are the pc players who already have it. Surely the no votes should be ps4 owners who don't want it? 
As my post above might point out, I really don't understand their mentality of it suddenly being converted into GTA for the console. I still have no idea what pop-corn player even means. I guess when AC and PCars got ported, all of sudden the drivers are leaning out of windows and shooting everyone to protect their hoards of popcorn in the trunk.

I signed up here just to come in and vote "yes" for this. Personally, I'd hope for an Xbox One release, but either would be fantastic. I understand the game is still in development, but I think it'd be great to have a more realistic rally game be a success across platforms.

Okay, so no, you haven't played the new console then. I'd like to sum up real quick here.
1. No, consoles are not $2000 gaming rigs. Point taken. Stupid point, but point taken. The next gen consoles are a huge leap over the old ones and that makes it a next gen console. Not a PC.
2. Consoles are cheaper, quicker and easier, and sell to a larger community. This is for multiple reasons, being
      1. Consoles are mass made in bulk, as such, Microsoft and Sony probably get a nice discount for the sheer number of product their buying, bringing down the retail cost, of which is now $350 for both. I can tell you that a $350 PC really kind of sucks, but "PC master race" guys are okay with crappy PC's but not consoles. For some reason.
      2. Console players don't have to worry about compatibility. This is a major point. This alone is the reason so many Dev's turn to consoles. Every single one is the same. With the next gen consoles also being pretty near identical. Having to create for only 1 platform is quicker, easier, and cheaper than working for PC. They don't have to worry about all the different OS's, CPU's, GPU's, RAM, graphics settings, it's all the same for every single console.
      3. Going with the above point, optimization for consoles therefore goes way above what's available on PC. MGSV looks fantastic on PS4, and many people are calling the best optimized game of the year, or probably last few years. Guess what? While the PC port was really good, it wasn't perfect because there's just so many different PC's that can't all be accounted for.
     4. I'm one of those guys that likes physical copies, as are many console players. I hate Steam, and I don't like digital downloads. It's nice knowing that if at any point you feel like returning a game, you don't have to return all your games in bulk and rebuy the ones you didn't want to return, without questions asked. Stupid Steam made me pay like $20 extra bucks buying back games I already had. People also share games, trade, or bring them to a friends house, which is easier than carrying a PC, I would know.
      5. Graphics. Most people seem to only attribute this with resolution and AA, which is irritating and wrong. That being said, most console games run at 1080 and being console, you can't really tell the difference between 900, 1080, or 4k from 10 feet away. You also don't really notice it while playing.
     6. All of these bring down the cost of producing games for console. Yes, Forza can be ported to PC, they've done it using DX12, but then they would have to rework almost everything behind the scenes to get it to run on PC up to their own standards, as well as Master Race community.

I'd also like to throw in framerate. It may be just because I don't have a high Hz monitor, and the TV is really old, but I don't see a big difference between 30 and 60, However, it is more evident on PC, again because your so close to the screen.
JZStudios said:
As my post above might point out, I really don't understand their mentality of it suddenly being converted into GTA for the console. I still have no idea what pop-corn player even means. I guess when AC and PCars got ported, all of sudden the drivers are leaning out of windows and shooting everyone to protect their hoards of popcorn in the trunk.

It's all subjective at the end of the day over what is truly a "next gen" console. Unrelated to this thread and honestly doesn't really matter at all.

2. Consoles are cheaper, quicker and easier, and sell to a larger community. This is for multiple reasons, being Consoles are mass made in bulk, as such, Microsoft and Sony probably get a nice discount for the sheer number of product their buying, bringing down the retail cost, of which is now $350 for both. I can tell you that a $350 PC really kind of sucks, but "PC master race" guys are okay with crappy PC's but not consoles. For some reason.

Okay, no one can deny the pricing and benefits consoles have over PC's. However, no one ever said that we are "okay" with crappy PC's. While developers keep in mind the type of computer hardware accessible to the PC gamer demographic, it hardly effects the quality of future games. Consoles ≠  PC'S for many reasons. They cost more because you are paying for a fully functioning, unrestricted platform. PC's are designed to do almost all types of work, consequently this means they need more hardware that is suitable for all applications that consoles don't include/need to run games.

2a. Console players don't have to worry about compatibility. This is a major point. This alone is the reason so many Dev's turn to consoles. Every single one is the same. With the next gen consoles also being pretty near identical. Having to create for only 1 platform is quicker, easier, and cheaper than working for PC. They don't have to worry about all the different OS's, CPU's, GPU's, RAM, graphics settings, it's all the same for every single console.

True, console gamer's don't need to worry about compatibility. As with developers going for the console market due to ease of accessibility and less variables compared to the PC market. Diversity is a problem for the PC, although its not as big of a deal as it used to be. It's not like the 80's or 90's anymore where you practically had completely separate PC platforms with entirely different CPU/RAM/GPU architecture and company proprietary standards that no one shared compatibility with. Modern PC's are extremely standardized now days. Granted compatibility issues are still very common place but they are much easier solved.

While consoles do rival their PC counterparts right when they launch, they quickly fall behind since the PC world is always moving at a quick pace unlike consoles that only get refreshes every couple of years or more. Again though, PC's aren't consoles and have different objectives. You aren't paying for a dedicated gaming platform and thus have to accept the nature of upgrading parts/drivers every so often on a PC platform to run other types of applications and software.

ALSO what many people don't realize is that once you build your PC, you will almost never be required to make another one. You pay a hefty initial price to buy/build the PC but after that all you need to do to keep up with current gaming standards is just replace few individual components (namely the graphics card, RAM, or storage space) as you go along. It's actually extremely surprising how long certain components will last, you aren't replacing parts ALL the time nor do you need to either. The majority of PC games on the market don't need extremely powerful hardware to play. Quality of the gaming experience is another issue... obviously if you use cheaper components it won't be as good. 

The problem I have with this statement is that its completely dependent on whether the developers originally had the PC or console preferred in their mind. There are *plenty* of counter examples of  games on the PC that both looked and performed better than the console version. Again it all depends on the developers and their desires/restrictions. Either platform can be capable of outdoing each other if a game was optimized for that platform.

Preferential and subjective. Personally I actually prefer digital copies since I don't like have a bunch of disks everywhere. Even if hard copies of games exist most companies just link the disk to steam with a activation code or something similar since they are worried about piracy or exploits. All of gaming is eventually just going to transfer over to a digital service in the future, that's just the way it is.

As sad as it is that we can't trade and share copies of games anymore that's what most digital gaming services like Valve/EA want and what the rest of the gaming industry wants. It just means more money for them. I agree that Valves return policy does need a little fine tuning and it would be nice to transfer games you bought for a console onto steam or maybe some sorta discount at least.

Honestly tho? LAN parties are pretty fun, if you wanted you could just build a custom LAN gaming PC with a small portable case.

I actually agree with you on this statement, people get way too hyped about resolution and AA for consoles and PC's. I think PC gamer's are more preferential about this because we are sitting very close to our monitors compared to a TV so resolution and AA standout more and can be an eyesore. Some people just have higher expectations that consoles can't deliver. Textures and graphics though PC's can easily upend consoles given you have good hardware, although I could really careless as long as they aren't atrocious. Game play is more important for me.

I believe the reason why they haven't planned on releasing Forza for the PC is mostly because it's an Xbox exclusive series. If it was released for the PC there would be less reason for people to go out and buy an Xbox One and possibly threaten sales. Microsoft and the responsible companies for Forza have more than enough money and man power to port it if they wanted to.

I really don't understand their mentality of it suddenly being converted into GTA for the console. I still have no idea what pop-corn player even means.

A "popcorn player" is a term to describe casual console/mobile gamer's whose interest is primarily in arcade style games and favors low skill requirements to play. The major concern most PC gamer's here in this thread have expressed is that *IF* DiRT Rally gets ported PS4 or Xbox One before it finishes pre-release status, Codemasters is going to dumb it down or simplify major mechanics of the game to appeal better to console players, which generally have a higher majority of casual type gamer's than the PC gaming world.

Historically this has happened in the past before with console titles bringing down the quality of PC ports leaving us PC gamer's in the dust. HOWEVER, I have pretty good faith that Codemasters will finish DiRT Rally before they release it for the console market and prevent this mistake from happening.

I think it is only logical that this gets scaled back some and given to console users. The money is obviously going to make sense. If only more companies took this approach and built for the PC first and then when perfect scaled out to other platforms, I feel we would have richer gaming experiences. Nothing worse than a game that gets ported the other way, without an entire re-working for the PC, like GTA. New on the game and it is the rally game I have been waiting a long time for. 

lyxer01 said:
Alright, so I'm going to have to shorten this because it's ridiculous. So first off, thanks for a nice intelligent conversation, and for describing what a popcorn player means. Don't know who or why they came up with that, but whatever. Anyways, moving on.

1. I don't know how much of this thread you read, but the topic came up, so I addressed it. It's also a next gen console, not a next gen PC, so it's not that subjective.

2. I fully understand, I have a PC, but the cost issue always comes up and for some reason, PC people always argue that PC's are cheaper. Any PC dedicated solely to a single thing (Like a server) would perform better, like consoles do, or the PS4 anyways, Microsoft crammed a bunch of stuff in the Xbone.

2a. I think I was going to expand on this, hence the a. PC compatibility is still a big issue, but hopefully DX12 will help solve that, but that also might only be for systems and GPUs capable of it. I've seen a few interviews with developers talking about the problems with making a game for PC compared to console. Sure, there's shitty ports both way, but having a shitty port is entirely on the company, not on the user's incompatibility. Yes, consoles do get surpassed technically, but look at most of the early console release games against the later released games, companies strive to produce the best visuals and compatibility on console, and with 5 or so years they can get pretty good at it, while PC is always getting new parts they have to incorporate. This is easily the biggest topic.

3. Again, shitty ports are on the company, and MGSV is a really good port, but being on PC, it doesn't add too much, but it could also be a fox engine limitation.

4. I know this is preferential, but I still like my vinyl records. I also hate the companies that sell discs with steam keys. It's absolutely pointless. It also entirely kills the used game market for PC people, except G2A... I guess... maybe? Also, all of my friends are broke, and can't afford the initial PC cost, so LAN parties go out the window base on location.

5. Agree to agree. I do think I could use a new monitor and/or TV though.

6. Also agreed, Forza is a Xbox exclusive, and as such most likely won't ever be porting, but if they did, I feel like they'd do it right like Rockstar did with GTA5 and redo basically everything, and make the super high end computers really have a purpose.

I was mostly trying to point out that there's a lot of weird misconceptions about consoles. Sure, you can have a better PC, but it doesn't mean anyone is making anything good for it. Almost everything I've seen on consoles so far (except Call of Duty) has been really good. Battlefield 4 on PS4 looks almost identical to me as on my PC at high to ultra, only major difference being the draw distance of some things like grass. Things you wouldn't even notice while playing.

On a note for DR on console, I've played it with a Xbone controller and it works really well, some of the quickest guys are using a controller, so I still don't get the idea of DR suddenly turning into NFS.

JZStudios said:
No problem, these types of threads are doomed to shitflinging regardless. I figured I would respond since you had something to converse over.

1. Yep I understand.

2. I was arguing from an overall view of value each platform offered. Yes a good gaming PC will always be more expensive than a console no doubt about that, I wasn't arguing they were cheaper. I guess you could look at PC's as more of a "jack of all trades but a master of none" kinda deal in most cases. Obviously the experience on an Xbox or PS4 will be much more stream lined and accessible to all people but PC's will always be more expandable.

I'll play devils advocate against PC in this special case, even if one does "specialize" a PC for gaming it doesn't necessarily mean all games are necessarily going to take advantage of the "gaming" hardware" installed. Realistically gaming PC's aren't really specialized at all in any sense of the word. A gaming PC just happens to have some generally beefed up components, hell the only gaming related piece is the graphics card. Everything else that says "gaming" is just demographic marketing for the most part. "gaming" RAM is just RAM at the end of the day, so on so forth. Anyways, I digress...

2a. I totally agree that compatibility with hardware and quality is entirely upon a game developers. However having "new parts" to incorporate isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of what gets created for the PC eventually ends up on the console at some point. I think at the end of the day it just depends on the gamer and whether they are willing to sacrifice stability and compatibility for bleeding edge features.

3. Agreed

4. I just happen to have bad luck with my hard copies getting scratches or lost. Vinyls are sort of different though, they offer a type of analog quality that just can't be recreated in digital applications so its justifiable to keep them around. Almost all of my friends who I game with have their own, even then if you really wanted to get into the PC market its not impossible to budget a $500-$700 gaming rig. Just gotta get the best bang for your buck and know whats necessary and whats overkill.

5. Agreed

6. Rockstar is also another company with enough funds to just entirely rebuild a game from the ground up. Which is honestly the best way but for most companies its a dream luxury.

Misconceptions are thrown around too frequently with this subject I'm afraid. I'm preferential to PC's over consoles (except for my old NES and 2600) since I'd much rather use a keyboard & mouse but I think consoles have their own merits and features. Different strokes for different folks.

Yes I have heard of that weird phenomenon of D:R players doing good with Xbox controllers, personally I play with the keyboard since I have yet to buy a Logitech G27 but I have gotten very good with it in my honest opinion. I think this whole debacle is an overreaction and it shouldn't be of concern, I have faith Codemasters will do the right thing. After all they are quite dedicated to making this near simulator quality so it wouldn't make sense for them to just backtrack like that. 

lyxer01 said:
Weird phenomenon? I mean, it's not like these people are making popcorn float around their heads.
2. I personally got a 960 since I needed Nvidia for 3d rendering, and all the reviews I found were, "Yeah it's okay I guess, but only if you like 1080 at high to ultra settings. But this cheaper, worse performing card is somehow seemingly better, and **** consoles."

I find it really funny, because as long as my game is 30FPS or above I'm fine, I'm not asking for 350, and my 960 runs almost every game at about 60fps at the higher end of high, or lower end of ultra.

I like using the mouse in PC even though mine is... not smooth, but I don't like the arrow keys for movement. In a game like Arma, you have like 5 different movement speeds that all need their own key press to change into, whereas with a controller you get that fine movement.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dirt-rally-listed-for-ps4-xbox-one-release/1100-6432725/

Not very respectful who says No
Why should I have to invest on my pc? if I already know that there is a console out there which costs less and last longer than its equavalent pc.

Besides, I do not want to see a desktop pc on my living room. It reminds me work:)

I have been using my xbox 360 more than 8 years, without being concerned with the graphical drivers, compatibility, operating system etc.. Why should I be concerned with the graphical settings, vga card, pc drivers of accesories, etc on a pc, if there is already a plug and play option. I do get tired all day at work, and I just want to sit and play for couple of hours at most when I come home...

remember RBR was on xbox too. Well, I guess who says no is also willing to invest on my pc :)

To be honest, codemasters is also responsible for some of those games that some of you classify as rubbish arcade games.  

There is a reality like Gran Tourismo (even Forza is not bad) which should actually be an inspiration for the game developers, and they should try to go beyond that.
Cheers  

Microsoft run an early access program for the XB1 now and I don't see any harm releasing a version for it.  Ps4 is more of a pain to port over to though.

Dirt Rally coming to PS4 & X1 on April 5th 2016:

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/673864832668561408