If there’s a DiRT Rally 3, what features do we want to see?

Does a racecraft rating mean much in a rally game, where you never meet another car? The stopwatch is the true ranking system there.

(Maybe in RX, but still, contact is encouraged in that sport)

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

just let me leave this video here in hoping for to see it in dr3.0

Edited by PJTierney
Embedded video.
  • Like 1

if there is full blown damage and loads of mud yeah would be cool elephants animals in the back grounds maybe even running across the road at certain scenarios. if its like earlier dirts kenya not really. its was just wide open floor it.

there is so much that could be done. thats what i hope for the most and best you can put out not just enough.

Playing 2.0 heavily right now, it strikes me the next game could really do with a big shift towards photographic style graphics.

The current game is held back by texturing and palettes that look 'drawn' rather than realistic. Poland for example looks so cartoony especially when the sun is shining. It feels like such a lost opportunity when playing.

Hopefully the split between Dirt and Dirt Rally will allow for this change.

Remember Codies, a 'realistic' look is way more transporting than a 'moody' cartoony style of graphics. Import those photographic textures!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

One thing I'd really like to see in a hypothetical Dirt Rally 3.0 is UDP support on Xbox One (and PlayStation). I think the chances to get that in Dirt Rally 2.0 are quite low now that it's mostly "complete" but I'd be happy to be proven wrong 🙂

The PC version has it, and AFAIK nothing prevents console games from providing data over UDP (F1 2020 on Xbox One has it, among others).

Nice things that console racers would be able to enjoy if UDP was added:

• Dashboards such as DashPanel (iOS/Android), physical rev stripes and more
  • Bass shakers with real UDP data instead of game audio-based signal (granted, it would require a PC to run the bass shaker software, but any dirt-cheap (ha!) mini-PC would do the job).
  • Wind simulators (same)
  • Motion platforms (same)
  • Maybe support for advanced features of various hardware (such as vibration motors on Fanatec pedals)?

Some of these things might seem overkill for a console player, but at the same time, why that preconception? The game is the exact same as the PC version (same physics, etc), it supports mid-to-high end steering wheels like the Fanatec belt-driven and direct-drive stuff on Xbox and PlayStation, etc. Why shouldn't it support other simracing hardware too, even if it requires a bit more fiddling from the user's point of view?

Why it makes sense to enable it on Xbox and PlayStation:

• Other Codemasters game have UDP support on Xbox One (F1 2020 and earlier)
  • Dirt Rally clearly focuses on simulation and will in the future, with recent announcements that the Dirt and Dirt Rally are now two separate teams with different goals. Dirt Rally should enable as much "sim" stuff as the platform allows.
  • With the upcoming Xbox One Series X being a very powerful console (at a price almost guaranteed to be much lower than a comparable gaming PC), the PC is becoming even less necessary for high-end gaming, including highly realistic racing titles. What's more, it will even become hard to replicate in a PC, with exclusive storage technologies and more. It would make sense to enable as much power features as possible on it, IMHO. Consoles have a "it just works" quality to them that makes them very attractive, at least to me. No drivers, no fiddling, etc. Just sit on the couch (or in the cockpit) and play. Makes simracing much more approachable by removing layers of complexity, among other things (yes, I know that the "real" sims like rFactor 2, iRacing and company are PC-only, but DR2.0 comes pretty close to a "real" sim to me!)
  • Enables tons of hardware integrations.
  • It enables one to purchase sim racing gear first instead of starting with a costly PC and having no money left for a cockpit, steering wheel, etc. Having more upgrade paths to simracing nirvana is good.
  • Please do it, I implore you! 😉

@PJTierney I don't know if you have any say on this internally, but I'm sure you can understand the motivation for all Dirt Rally players to have access to this, having a great simracing setup yourself :)

Please +1 if you agree!

I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

Edited by michaelf
Add "telemetry"

DR2, not happening.

Future games, would be nice 🙂 

I'll merge it with the wishlist thread.

Would love to see some additional features to the career mode. 🙂

I really enjoy the aspect of money management and unlocks, so there is a goal to work towards and things like damaging the car actually mean something.

Edit: in comparison to going maximum attack in TimeTrial and resetting over and over again; I miss the aspect of risk management and planning there

Sadly for me personally the gameplay starts getting repetitive in career mode without the option to adjust the number of stages in the events or excluding locations i really dont enjoy at all. 

Doesn't have to be full custom, but some options would make the career mode way more interesting and motivating for players like me.

- Greets, Kama 🙂

Edited by Kamatrix

Something that would be a big boon to the clubs/leagues scene would be a good API to handle clubs. 

At minimum, easy to use system to get results from events. 

But preferably a fully exposed API so we could do automated setups of events and control things more in detail. 

If this was in place, a more rudimentary club page could be made officially, but the community could set up different special events by using the API if we want to. Long durability events with 30-40 stages, custom point systems, custom car selection and stuff like that.