F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

If there’s a DiRT Rally 3, what features do we want to see?

VR: Please get help from the Sligtly mad studio to do vr. They know there stuff. And make it work from day one.

Tracks: Can some of the people from Evolution make some fantasy tracks. 

Graphic setting: please explain what they do, and what the need to run good.

Dlc: Please ad more locations throu dlc.

Editions: Please dont call any editions for Ultimate edition or somethings like that. Then people will whine everytime you ad a paiad dlc. Call it Dirt rally 3:Free dlc for 6 month edition🙃:classic_smile:

51 minutes ago, kellemann said:

VR: Please get help from the Sligtly mad studio to do vr. They know there stuff. And make it work from day one.

Tracks: Can some of the people from Evolution make some fantasy tracks. 

Graphic setting: please explain what they do, and what the need to run good.

Dlc: Please ad more locations throu dlc.

Editions: Please dont call any editions for Ultimate edition or somethings like that. Then people will whine everytime you ad a paiad dlc. Call it Dirt rally 3:Free dlc for 6 month edition🙃:classic_smile:

It is funny because you are the first person, who mentions VR. Don't you really believe that Codemasters will not add VR from the beginning? Especially after what they did with that while making 'DiRT Rally 2.0'? I think they learnt something, didn't they?

Fantasy tracks??? What fantasy tracks???

And when it comes to locations, they should add more locations from start, not through DLC.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

It is funny because you are the first person, who mentions VR. Don't you really believe that Codemasters will not add VR from the beginning? Especially after what they did with that while making 'DiRT Rally 2.0'? I think they learnt something, didn't they?

Fantasy tracks??? What fantasy tracks???

And when it comes to locations, they should add more locations from start, not through DLC.

I dont trust codies to have vr from day one. It took a massiv amount of complaining to get vr in dirt 2.  There is no vr in f1 or grid.

Fantasy track are tracks not based on real roads, but real locations, like driveclub.

They should have more locations from start, and new throu dlc to keep the game alive and fresh. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kellemann said:

I dont trust codies to have vr from day one. It took a massiv amount of complaining to get vr in dirt 2.  There is no vr in f1 or grid.

Fantasy track are tracks not based on real roads, but real locations, like driveclub.

They should have more locations from start, and new throu dlc to keep the game alive and fresh. 

I don't care about VR and there are not so many players, who use that. Besides, VR is not a priority for Codemasters while making new game. There are lots of more important things.

I agree that they should offer to us more locations from start and add something as DLC.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

With PrCars3 on the way maybe we won't even see a new DiRT for a long time to come.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, chukonu said:

With PrCars3 on the way maybe we won't even see a new DiRT for a long time to come.

And what Project Cars 3 has got in common with DiRT if these are completely different series of games? The team responsible for DiRT series is not responsible for PrCars series. As it was said, Codemasters acquired SMS but CM are divided on teams, each responsible for particular series. DiRT, GRID, F1, etc. Last year 'DiRT Rally 2.0' and 'GRID (2019)' were released. One team wouldn't rather be able to make and release both these games in the same year.

'DiRT Rally 3' should be around 2021, 2022.

• Agree 1

Rallycross is featured in both games for one, if they decide to represent the coming seasons in Pcars for a while then they might just not bother competing against themselves with another DiRT title. There's no real indication a new DiRT title is on the cards at all. It's a niche genre and thus this franchise is fragile. Competition in the form of the WRC games is heating up and it's not like DiRT is making recordbreaking sales...

• Sad 1

I'd say, if you want to keep the My Team Online mode, then put everything in the competition side of things in there, like the World Series.

My Team felt totally useless after Clubs, and one way to revive it would be with the esports being introduced in the there (which i thought it was going to happen). My Team has a big potential to become something bigger, the game simply has to get all the systems and features connected.

Even Clubs should have some kind of integration possible with My Team, like DR1 had the possibility to use Career Engineers and cars.

You also should be able to properly pair surface degradation with Clubs and Lobbies, thats why Clubs needs to be fully integrated within the game. For this to be even better, we need to have access to the running order parameters, otherwise we'll never be able to make surface degradation work properly, as everyone will race in the same conditions.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

For Dirt Rally 3.0 I hope an improvement on the slick tires with a better transition. I don't ask for tires as complex as in rfactor2 but the feeling must be improve. It looks like the weird performance of the slick tire was solved adding more grip, but the problem is still there.

The RWD cars need work to solve the odd way they lose the rear almost without advise and without return when it starts. Maybe this is directly connected with the slick tire, but on the gravel the RWD cars act the same.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:39 AM, kombajnkoszoncy said:

I don't care about VR and there are not so many players, who use that. Besides, VR is not a priority for Codemasters while making new game. There are lots of more important things.

VR has become far more mainstream even just a year after DR2.0's launch.   During the holidays, the flagship HMDs (Vive, Index, Rift) completely sold out.  To say not so many players use it is probably misinformed.  The other important thing to note is that a large slice of the VR userbase are simracers who care passionately about VR support in their racing games.  Soon enough, if not already, VR support in sim racing is almost as important as wheel support, as there are probably a comparable number of users that have racing wheels to the number of users with VR.

• Agree 2

The people who do care about VR swear by it. It's a definite and sharp edge DR has over anything that doesn't.

ultimately, when it comes to VR being in the next game or not (including PSVR) this is the only question that matters.

does the revenue gained from sales to people who would only buy it because it has VR offset the cost of developing VR (and not forgetting the cost of using Oculus' platform, services etc.)?

I do not know the answer to this, but I'm going to guess that the (profit) margin was relatively thin for DR2.0

Edited by ianism

VR users are a tiny fraction of any playerbase, even including VR-friendly (aka not vomit inducing) games such as driving.

I can totally understand why Dirt Rally is the prime candidate for VR support, even though I don't own VR myself. However, I would sacrifice VR over basically any other feature on my list - deeper singleplayer, deeper multiplayer, more content or better graphics - especially if VR will "come later".
Even within features that only apply to additional hardware, I'll take a working FFB over VR support.

• Agree 1

I, however, would sacrifice pretty much anything else for VR, particularly Rallycross.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Just thought about something that would fit in the "nice but not mandatory" category :

Driver helmet and suit customisation (for the helmet, i'm talking about helmet style mostly, either full-faced helmet, open-face with a mic(like in the 90s), or the current half-face one that we currently have in-game

• Agree 1

-ACAT (any car any track)

-AWAT (any weather any track)

-ATAT (any time any track)

-new FFB

-new graphics, not a downgrade blurry engine......

-more rallies

-better AI for rallycross, I'm firt in the first turn, and at the end the AI is +30 seconds behind me (at 100%)

First of all, all current content should return, so all cars/locations. It would be a shame if they were just made/updated for one game and after not will return. 

A photo mode is definitly needed. Not only for the players, but it is basically free marketing for Codemasters as well (more/better ingame images will be made and shared on different socials).

The career mode needs certainly a new approach. It should be seperated from MyTeam (which is basically an online kinda career). The career mode should be offline and should have a tier system as kinda in Toca Race Driver or games like MotoGP / Nascar Heat. Starting in local short events in lower classes. Also check out the career modes of for example MotoGP, Nascar Heat. There is a lot of possibility here with trying to secure budgets with sponsors, the choice of arrive&drive or build your own team, working with driving licenses (starting in club/national, and growing towards international), updates of car mechanisms, historic events implemented in the mode, a calender implemented (so maybe also need to make a choice which events you take part in and which not, or full programs, or partial programs, trying to build a social base (I think the Monster Energy Supercross games have this, but they not do much with it) which is important nowadays to secure budget and attract sponsorship (this would be also the base for less good players, they still get their growing social base for more money to grow in the tiers), a good team (A status, highly trained, repair faster, better engineer recomendations, less mistakes) or good car (A status, good condition, latest updates) is more expensive to pay that go for small amateur team (E status) or less good car (E status, no updates, bigger change on issues during an event), etc.

A livery editor is also something that despirately needs to come, together with a database as for example https://www.tradingpaints.com/ is for iRacing. People can post and share their liveries with others and easily import it into their game (not limited if that is PS, Xbox or Steam). Next to that this is also needed if Codemasters wants to go serious with e-sports and leagues (even if they not organise it themselves). E-Sport teams and league drivers want to show their partners also on the car, and that is totally not possible now.

Btw, follow the template style of iRacing, you not put on numberplates, but this will be added by the game automatically. On for example the RX cars in iRacing, the numberplates will be added, but also the name of the driver will be added automatically on the windscreen banner. The same can be done for Rally cars. 

A improved Broadcast mode for online, again to get e-sport, leagues more serious) with for example timing, overlayed ghosts (for rally events like WRC games have), etc.

Possible to upload a Series logo for online events. Possible seperated in a series logo and event logo. This will be shown on the broadcast in a corner, but also on the numberplates of the cars. If not uploaded, than automatically the DiRT Rally logo will be shown. 

The amount of drivers on a server should be increased from 8 to minimal 16. Higher would be even better. Also this would be needed for e-sport, leagues and better multiplayer. It's strange it is not possible now, as the F1 game can host 20 players online.

An improved website which uses elements of Raceroom, so you can check leaderboards, drivers ranking, you can filter the leaderboards well (location, nationality, rank, class, etc), competitions (clubs) organized by partners with prizes for competing, etc.

Rallycross track editor, i have explained this in my suggestion topic. Basically a RX version of the MESX or MXGP 2019. Also would like to have a rally stage editor, but I think this might be a bit to complex.

More suggestions I have:

Two more things, not needed but could be gimmicky

recce mode. For me it is not really needed, but I notice a lot of people would like to change/edit notes. So a outside mode where you can drive a location slowly and edit/change notes to your liking.

navigator app. (also this is not something I want, but could be a funny gimmick) So a app for a tablet, where the pacenotes are being shown on together (of possible) with a minimap. The sounds of the navigator and the icons in the game can be turned off and a friend can read the notes from the app. As the real co-driver would not feel the movement of the car, something need to be figured out the timing of the notes.

• Agree 6

Few more ideas that I don't think have been mentioned here.

Tyre change limits for clubs. It would be awesome if we could limit the tyre changes so that we couldn't change tyres on every service. This would add more strategies to the game.

Improved "Stop by marshal" spots. Most of the stage have enough road from the end of the stage to the marshal where you stop at. Some stages have issues with this. Especially Jagodno where the marshal is too close to the end of the stage. And why the jump on Abies Koilada is after the stage and not in the stage? There needs to be enough distance to the marshals so we don't have kill them or damage our cars and if there's any jumps, they need to be in the stage.

Alternative rallycross layouts need to come back. They were fun in DR1 but why aren't they in the game now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

26 minutes ago, nPiipo said:

Few more ideas that I don't think have been mentioned here.

Tyre change limits for clubs. It would be awesome if we could limit the tyre changes so that we couldn't change tyres on every service. This would add more strategies to the game.

Improved "Stop by marshal" spots. Most of the stage have enough road from the end of the stage to the marshal where you stop at. Some stages have issues with this. Especially Jagodno where the marshal is too close to the end of the stage. And why the jump on Abies Koilada is after the stage and not in the stage? There needs to be enough distance to the marshals so we don't have kill them or damage our cars and if there's any jumps, they need to be in the stage.

Alternative rallycross layouts need to come back. They were fun in DR1 but why aren't they in the game now.

I would add to that some things

For RX there also need to come a limit of tyre sets during a (full) weekend.
- So also tyre wear need to be implemented here;
- And the choice for normal and wet tyre choice;
- Choose if you want to use one, two, three or four new tyres, and on which location of the car.

For Rally you should be able to
- choose a cross mix of tyres, for example for Monte Carlo, where they some choose 1 or 2 studded tyres and 1,2,3 soft or super soft tyres; 
- choose also the type of spare tyres;
- and also be able to change the tyres between stages

About the alternative rx lay-outs, I agree. Though it should be real lay-outs like at Lydden Hill or Hell or Holjes. But rather no fake/crappy alternative lay-outs what was at Montelegre, and also I am not sure if Loheac had correct alternative lay-outs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

An engineer to help you with the set-up. In MotoGP games called "Track engineer" - "Guided set-up".  With a few simple questions the set-up changes are being adviced (and if confirmed, also applied).

This is more for players who (A) have less time to focus on set-up, or (B) have no knowledge and need help (and also learn with that 🙂)

Now in MyTeam there is an engineer, but it not do anything really... Also in combination of the skills of the engineer it could also make mistakes. 

The engineer could have an potential + experience parameters, depending if how good he is, or that he can give better advices through his experience. A young engineer has a lot of potential, but due to less experience he possible makes more mistakes. When competing at more events, he gradually will become better and makes less mistakes.

Edited by JorritVD
  • Like 4

I very disagree the wheather physics are fine. They are way off. Driving in cockpit view and heavy rain is much to difficult and with VR you cannot see anything throughvthe side windows which is compkete unrealistic.

The difference between cockpit view and for instance bonnet cam is with this physics so large that bonnet is the only option to go fast and that is just wrong.

2 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

I very disagree the wheather physics are fine. They are way off. Driving in cockpit view and heavy rain is much to difficult and with VR you cannot see anything throughvthe side windows which is compkete unrealistic.

The difference between cockpit view and for instance bonnet cam is with this physics so large that bonnet is the only option to go fast and that is just wrong.

These are not physics, but has to do with graphics/visuals.

• Agree 1

On 2/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, JorritVD said:

About the alternative rx lay-outs, I agree. Though it should be real lay-outs like at Lydden Hill or Hell or Holjes. But rather no fake/crappy alternative lay-outs what was at Montelegre, and also I am not sure if Loheac had correct alternative lay-outs.

I agree: I never used the alternative layouts and prefer just having the real layouts in game. 

Tyre wear for rallycross would be a brilliant addition as it would add the tactical tyre element that drivers have to contend with now.