If there’s a DiRT Rally 3, what features do we want to see?

more stages, better dynamic weather system, more options for force feedback especially with surface weariness. I wish there would be a signifcant influence on the wheel's force feedback when driving on worn out stages...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HoksuHoo said:

Those of us who play in cockpit view look at the display quite a lot so it's not unimportant

It is nice to look around in the car before the start, but 'quite a lot' is not really the case, during the stage I look quite a lot on the road ahead 😀

Dynamic and/or patches of different weather on the same stage for sure.

Climbing into a cloud bank, or hitting snow patches in a forest when you've made a climb, maybe a corner has iced up, high in the forest, combined with stage deg, the first runs through would hit the ice, maybe the latter runners would have it worse as the surface is polished.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

A small multiplayer thing I think would be cool for streams and such, staggered starts for rally lobbies.

Could potentially have options ranging from "Start at 1 minute intervals" to "Start when previous driver has finished".

Would make livestreaming rallies a little more interesting than switching between live views, although the way that WRC8 shows all the ghosts in real time is neat too. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)

Make it possible to see what kind of penalties other drivers have gotten i leaderboards. "+10 went off track/hit a bystander". If driving with all UI off its not even possible to know it yourself how much of a penalty you got when you get a reset. Also let us know what damage we have (and maybe other cars too?) as we are able to see in single player.

Edited by somethingthing
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

This may be a small thing (and could even be added to 2.0 with a patch 😉😉) but in custom championships I think you should be able to choose specific cars in a class, not just the whole thing. The Historic championships have this already. For instance, in the first championships, there's an H3 RWD series featuring the 240Z and the Stratos. Then in the 80's ones, there's a series with the rest of that class' cars.

Something like this in custom championships would be really nice (for me, at least). Makes it easier to create a more authentic series.

EDIT: Another I thing I just thought of (sorry if this has been mentioned before) is that the specific gearbox/transmission (might be misusing the term) and existence of racing handbrake should be authentic to the car. For example there are plenty of cars in the game that don't/didn't have handbrakes you could actually use while driving, but you can handbrake in every one of them. Another example is that the Mitsubishi Lancer R4 (I read this somewhere) has a dogbox manual, but in the game it's a traditional manual.

Edited by jonjarv
added a another thing
  • Like 1

This is a quite small thing, but more driver customisation when it comes to helmets, balaclavas, gloves, suit etc. 

I just don't dig the driver models. Sorry Jon and generic dude :classic_ninja:

During DR2 beta testing we had an integral helmet for example.. 

• Like 1

ooh, and back to a fully upgraded car for the dailies.

I'd like to see the return to a set car, instead of set class, for the dailies, maybe a mix of both?  but love being "reminded" to use other cars i wouldn't remember to choose.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Dynamic and/or patches of different weather on the same stage for sure.

Climbing into a cloud bank, or hitting snow patches in a forest when you've made a climb, maybe a corner has iced up, high in the forest, combined with stage deg, the first runs through would hit the ice, maybe the latter runners would have it worse as the surface is polished.

What about including some specific wet corners in dry gravel stages? Is it a good idea?

IMG-20200414-WA0002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, RGgiac said:

What about including some specific wet corners in dry gravel stages? Is it a good idea?

IMG-20200414-WA0002.jpg

Yes, this is exactly what i'm talking about.  Again, could potentially be tied to not only stage degradation, but perhaps also random moments.

Whilst watching the VHS Rallies, '85 and '86 RAC rallies, this prompted my comments, they come across all of these things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe it's mentioned, but a recce mode or a way to edit existing notes would be sweet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

I just had an idea on the career mode calendar of events on my drive to work: the WRC used to be 13ish events but only a certain number of scores counted towards your season tally, also the ERC used to be just about a rally every single weekend (sometimes more than one per weekend) and drivers chose their most favourable events to compete in and score points.

How about the career mode features all 13 locations (in a logical order as well!) in a Project Cars-style yearly calendar. Only 6 rallies count towards the championship (as they do in 2.0) so you only need to pick your 6 favourite/strongest events, as do your competitors. If you have the budget or if you’re driving for a factory team then you can do 2, 3, 4 etc. more rallies for a better chance at getting 6 good strong points scores.

It would mean if, for example, some of us can’t stand driving Argentina, Australia and Poland and really want to do Wales and NZ every single season then you can have some say over which rallies you do and which you avoid.

For me....

DLC - The level of DLC in this game is great and worth it, however accessibility is not. Rally classes such as Group B RWD and F2 kit cars & Up to 2000cc are exclusively DLC and then further in RallyX with Group B RX and RX 2019 as well are all DLC. i think DR2 could benefit by having at least some free cars, especially in the aforementioned classes even if it is the worst vehicle in each class too at least give people a taste of what they are missing out on. 

Career - Career in DR2 is lacklustre in the sense of progression, the first championship you're dumped into a 6 event rally with 4 stages(including some long stages) in each, but considering its your first championship wouldn't it make sense to be one event with just 2 or 3 short stages and then working your way up to longer stages/events ?

• Agree 1

1 DLCs
I would like to do season 1 to 4 again but only if there are completely new tracks and cars, remastered tracks as DLC would not be good.

2 Co-Driver
Tanja Geilhausen again I like female co-drivers.

It was demanded that the tracks should be narrower so I think that they should stay as they are now New Zealand I think I already have very narrow tracks

• Disagree 1

I would like to be able to filter for default / custom setups on the leaderboard like I believe you can on F1 2019. 

I am a noob when it comes to share my opinion on driving physics but I would love to have all the content from Dirt 1 & 2 combined, and most important co-driver calls in Greek!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 1:20 PM, Takeahnase said:

I would like to be able to filter for default / custom setups on the leaderboard like I believe you can on F1 2019. 

I like how you can download anybody's setup from the Leaderboard.

The more competitive esports people might want a toggle that lets them choose if they want to share or not, but for somebody that's not as quick it can be handy to find what rapid guys use.

That being said, a good setup doesn't make you fast, and every setup should ideally be tweaked to suit the habits of the driver.

One thing future Dirt titles seriously need is more testing and a more stable release. Both Dirt 4 and DR2.0 were severely unfinished at release, Dirt Rally was early access but these were supposed to be complete games which they really were not. If you won't release games on early access then at least do a large closed or open beta. And include beta testers who are not pro drivers on high-end rigs, maybe then you won't be surprised to learn many players are not happy with a nonexistent FFB. Even with post-launch additions the lack of testing has been obvious, many content additions include some glaring flaws, like gear indicators not working in Greece, not being able to repair M2 turbo, wrong UI information on lots of cars, Yas Marina allowing farcical corner cutting etc. One in a million bugs are one thing but blatant mistakes really should be noticed before it goes live. Maybe some kind of community test environment like some other games have? I mean, you are already outsourcing testing to paying customers so might as well do it in a better way.

Also a thought: maybe rallycross should be made into a separate title and have Dirt Rally focusing entirely on rally and nothing else. Rallycross as a standalone title rather than a bit of side content in primarily rally game could allow making rallycross with a whole different level of fidelity and detail, and players who have no interest in rallycross could avoid it entirely.

Posted (edited)

Maybe it's time to apply for the beta testing program then and make everything better! There you go, beta testers, you're useless! And you're fired!

Edited by richie

9 minutes ago, richie said:

Maybe it's time to apply for the beta testing program and make everything better! Beta testers, you're useless! And you're fired!

QA positions (essentially professional testers) are open 😉 

https://codemasters.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/2/home?c=codemasters

They tend to come in waves, at certain points of the year more QA staff are required.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

There you go, @HoksuHoo

I'm looking forward to a bug-free game. 

Edited by richie
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I think I've spoken about this somewhere else.

But it would be lovely if the Online My Team career would actual be useful. I suggested having Clubs somewhat connected to My Team in case people wanted to use their custom team and purchased cars like in DR1, as well as future esports events. It makes a lot more sense putting these all inside the multiplayer career mode, otherwise it just sits in the dust like now. I think the only multiplayer modes that can stay out of the My Team would be Timetrial and Lobbies. The other ones can get embraced by the whole My Team module, as the game would feel a lot more connected and relevant, since some of the features now in DR2.0 feel disconnected, irrelevant, sitting in the dust.

Another thing that would be interesting would be pairing Clubs with lobbies, or make clubs somewhat more integrated in-game, so that we could for example load a club on a lobby and race with people from that club, live, so that we could actually broadcast something rather than just set times. I think it's what missing for clubs right now, ability to broadcast it. I won't even mention again the 12 stage limit, the inability to mix cars or classes, the static degradation and static weather conditions for everyone, etc, because that's obvious it needs a fix. You guys have weather forecast probabilities that change throughout a running order implemented on My Team (at least it seems like it), but you don't make use of it at all, which leads me to think it's just there as a decoration.

Having access to the running order, in order to be able to define degradation based on running order would also be awesome, as every player would have a different degradation like in real life. Allows to control the set of tyre changes so that hard tyres become relevant, and these will become even more relevant if longer stages become possible, as well as a bigger stage limit for clubs happens. The running order could also mean we could have a dynamic weather system at last, so that some players may get rain, while others not. But the change can't be so drastic from one weather to another. You need to make it rain gradually. This way we can finally have a weather forecast system that actually works, and we could set the weather as random (the engine simulates one and gives a weather forecast for each stage and running order interval) in our tournaments, so that tyre decisions and gambling can be reinforced.

Basically all of the main systems you made for DR2.0 are brilliant and pretty much sufficient. The main problem is that these system are not being explored to their full potential in DR2.0, and I believe DR3 will be able to connect all of them properly.

Also don't forget about keeping on improving gravel physics. I see everyone talking about tarmac because it's what calls the most attention, but don't leave gravel in the dust 😄 it's good, but can surely be improved further. Any improvement we get in the physics, no matter what surface, is always a plus. It's what sells this game the most.

Making hardcore damage a bit more hardcore would also be nice, so people don't exploit setups to their exhaustion. Some setups for certain situations are unrealistic and are making the pros also win time, because the car is still stable and since there's no real damage applied to them, it doesn't matter if the suspension takes more damage or not due to the setup of the car (example stiff setup on Argentina), because the hardcore damage is simply not enough. Setup should have impact on the tyre wear, as well as part wear, specially if you're exploiting stiff suspension and dampers on rough rally. The dampers or the suspension should be more prone to break the more you try to abuse the tuning in certain situations, and this in turn will also help with realism and making things a bit more fair for everyone. You can call it an unexpected moment, but in reality it's just probabilities and accounted risk factoring.

Last but not least, I'd like to leave a note, an obvious one in fact: Please let the normal DiRT franchise in the shelf for now. You could already see for a second time that the DiRT Rally franchise is what the market is asking for, it is no longer a spin-off, as it now became the pedigree of rallying, not only for Codemasters, but for the rally community as a whole. Working on a DiRT5 would be a serious business mistake. Also, it is important that the future DR3 brings something new to the table, instead of "just" more content (for that we could keep with DR2.0). It is expected by the community that DR3 is able to take advantage of the newer technologies, the new generation, and therefore we are expecting that you break some limits. I'm mostly talking about stage length, stitching Route de Turini to Pra D'Alart for one big stage for example, while keeping the other existing versions as smaller variations. This would be utterly important for the current Tyre Wear system.

It would also be important, and another selling point if you could bring 1 more long route to each existing rally in DR2.0. By 1 long route I mean another Route de Turini -> Pra D'Alart, in the case of Monte Carlo the Sisteron stage comes to mind. It would also be important that in this specific rally you give us some more tarmac, perhaps you can start the Sisteron route at its original starting point so that we have more tarmac to play with and actually make the Soft Tyres a bit more relevant in that rally, because the tarmac bits we have in the current stages are not really enough.

Aside from that, there are still some rallies that can be brought to the franchise, in order to sell something new to us. Corsica (tarmac), San Remo (tarmac), Kenya (gravel), Portugal (gravel), Mexico (gravel) comes to mind. There are some fan favourites like Ireland (tarmac), Azores (gravel) and some others, but to be honest it would make some sense pursuing the more public relevant ones first like Corsica, San Remo (if u decide to go for Sardegna it turns to gravel, however San Remo would be awesome as we don't have so many tarmac offerings so far and this one is still historically relevant and is currently not part of WRC, so should make it a bit easier on the legal and design freedom part), Kenya and Portugal, since these have had way more WRC appearances.

I'm not sure how you will deal with the existing rallies in DR2.0, if you're launching then in the base game or re-sell them via DLC like before, but this time not only improving each location (Monaco having random ice and snow distribution like in real life for example), but also adding another big route to the mix (= 2 long stages) for each one. Perhaps it would make sense to give us all the surface types at the base game first, so that the game does not feel incomplete at launch, and to avoid another uproar like we've seen in DR2.0's launch. Or maybe just pack it all to the base game, and launch with the full content, because you'll have more than enough time to work on it since everyone is busy with DR2.0, and we won't stop playing for a long time. So yes, DR3 needs to bring something significant to the table in order for the community to justify the transition to the new game.

Make sure all the possible bugs are ironed out this time. I'm talking about crashes, blatant visual glitches, force feedback, etc. The more you iron out before launch, the better the launch will be. I have to say I was afraid that DR2.0 would go down the drain due to the horrible launch it had and the massive review bomb it received at launch. There is no need to take these kind of risks, take your time, and don't be afraid to invite community members to help you test the game if you need to. If the money men start to make pressure on you guys once again to release an unfinished, unpolished game, just give them the middle finger and rub the DR2.0 launch in their faces 😄 

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

narrow events and different locations.many great places which are iconic places which dont seem to happen like corsica for eg. i sure narrow is seen as a swear word. :classic_biggrin:

ive said this hundred times im sure but...narrow events a car width with no give bring far more excitement , element of danger than most of the events we get for dirt games yet they very rarely happen. the thing is you dont even need to go full deep on tarmac redoing with narrow events as you arent drifting across wide american style motorways like what we have currently with spain. thats why the tarmac handling shows up so bad because the roads events are so wide. imagine a car width event you cant drift two cars wide so you wont notice it ! its all snap darting movements.

with narrow events corsica , ireland, isle of man tt would be a great single event like hillclimb.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

One thing i forgot to mention. It should be also possible for us to see stage times on in-game club leaderboards that have more than 1 stage. Right now we are only given the cumulative times SS2 onwards. I believe we are able to see individual stages times on lobby events, and then there's a tab to check the overall. The same should be available for Clubs 3.0.

Basically, just take this big awesome core and go deep on it for DR3. There's really not much need to enlarge its horizon, now it simply needs depth.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2