What features do we want to see in a future DIRT Rally game?

Does a racecraft rating mean much in a rally game, where you never meet another car? The stopwatch is the true ranking system there.

(Maybe in RX, but still, contact is encouraged in that sport)

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

just let me leave this video here in hoping for to see it in dr3.0

Edited by PJTierney
Embedded video.
  • Like 1

if there is full blown damage and loads of mud yeah would be cool elephants animals in the back grounds maybe even running across the road at certain scenarios. if its like earlier dirts kenya not really. its was just wide open floor it.

there is so much that could be done. thats what i hope for the most and best you can put out not just enough.

Playing 2.0 heavily right now, it strikes me the next game could really do with a big shift towards photographic style graphics.

The current game is held back by texturing and palettes that look 'drawn' rather than realistic. Poland for example looks so cartoony especially when the sun is shining. It feels like such a lost opportunity when playing.

Hopefully the split between Dirt and Dirt Rally will allow for this change.

Remember Codies, a 'realistic' look is way more transporting than a 'moody' cartoony style of graphics. Import those photographic textures!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

One thing I'd really like to see in a hypothetical Dirt Rally 3.0 is UDP support on Xbox One (and PlayStation). I think the chances to get that in Dirt Rally 2.0 are quite low now that it's mostly "complete" but I'd be happy to be proven wrong 🙂

The PC version has it, and AFAIK nothing prevents console games from providing data over UDP (F1 2020 on Xbox One has it, among others).

Nice things that console racers would be able to enjoy if UDP was added:

• Dashboards such as DashPanel (iOS/Android), physical rev stripes and more
  • Bass shakers with real UDP data instead of game audio-based signal (granted, it would require a PC to run the bass shaker software, but any dirt-cheap (ha!) mini-PC would do the job).
  • Wind simulators (same)
  • Motion platforms (same)
  • Maybe support for advanced features of various hardware (such as vibration motors on Fanatec pedals)?

Some of these things might seem overkill for a console player, but at the same time, why that preconception? The game is the exact same as the PC version (same physics, etc), it supports mid-to-high end steering wheels like the Fanatec belt-driven and direct-drive stuff on Xbox and PlayStation, etc. Why shouldn't it support other simracing hardware too, even if it requires a bit more fiddling from the user's point of view?

Why it makes sense to enable it on Xbox and PlayStation:

• Other Codemasters game have UDP support on Xbox One (F1 2020 and earlier)
  • Dirt Rally clearly focuses on simulation and will in the future, with recent announcements that the Dirt and Dirt Rally are now two separate teams with different goals. Dirt Rally should enable as much "sim" stuff as the platform allows.
  • With the upcoming Xbox One Series X being a very powerful console (at a price almost guaranteed to be much lower than a comparable gaming PC), the PC is becoming even less necessary for high-end gaming, including highly realistic racing titles. What's more, it will even become hard to replicate in a PC, with exclusive storage technologies and more. It would make sense to enable as much power features as possible on it, IMHO. Consoles have a "it just works" quality to them that makes them very attractive, at least to me. No drivers, no fiddling, etc. Just sit on the couch (or in the cockpit) and play. Makes simracing much more approachable by removing layers of complexity, among other things (yes, I know that the "real" sims like rFactor 2, iRacing and company are PC-only, but DR2.0 comes pretty close to a "real" sim to me!)
  • Enables tons of hardware integrations.
  • It enables one to purchase sim racing gear first instead of starting with a costly PC and having no money left for a cockpit, steering wheel, etc. Having more upgrade paths to simracing nirvana is good.
  • Please do it, I implore you! 😉

@PJTierney I don't know if you have any say on this internally, but I'm sure you can understand the motivation for all Dirt Rally players to have access to this, having a great simracing setup yourself :)

Please +1 if you agree!

I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

Edited by michaelf
Add "telemetry"

DR2, not happening.

Future games, would be nice 🙂 

I'll merge it with the wishlist thread.

Posted (edited)

Would love to see some additional features to the career mode. 🙂

I really enjoy the aspect of money management and unlocks, so there is a goal to work towards and things like damaging the car actually mean something.

Edit: in comparison to going maximum attack in TimeTrial and resetting over and over again; I miss the aspect of risk management and planning there

Sadly for me personally the gameplay starts getting repetitive in career mode without the option to adjust the number of stages in the events or excluding locations i really dont enjoy at all. 

Doesn't have to be full custom, but some options would make the career mode way more interesting and motivating for players like me.

- Greets, Kama 🙂

Edited by Kamatrix

Something that would be a big boon to the clubs/leagues scene would be a good API to handle clubs. 

At minimum, easy to use system to get results from events. 

But preferably a fully exposed API so we could do automated setups of events and control things more in detail. 

If this was in place, a more rudimentary club page could be made officially, but the community could set up different special events by using the API if we want to. Long durability events with 30-40 stages, custom point systems, custom car selection and stuff like that.

Something that would be very very useful for RX imo would being able to turn on a virtual mirror, especially when running lower FoV the closest of the 2 dashcams, the arrows just aren't sufficient to be aware of where other cars are around you imo.

Posted (edited)

What I miss most in DR2 is the hill climb mode of DR1. I really hope it will return in DR3 with some new locations (unfortunately, Codemasters don't have the license for Pikes Peak anymore).

Otherwise, I'd like all the DR2 locations to return without having to buy them all separately again ...

Also, I'd like locations with sand tracks (Africa maybe?).

I'd also like a livery editor as in DiRT 4 (preferably a bit more sophisticated). Also, the game should be more mod-friendly with user-made liveries actually appearing in the car selection menu.

But most of all, I'd like DR3 to become a sustainable long-term platform that will be updated and expanded for many years (like Microsoft Flight Simulator, for example) instead of throwing it all away and making a new game every few years.

Edited by Laserjones

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Laserjones said:

What I miss most in DR2 is the hill climb mode of DR1. I really hope it will return in DR3 with some new locations (unfortunately, Codemasters don't have the license for Pikes Peak anymore).

Otherwise, I'd like all the DR2 locations to return without having to buy them all separately again ...

Also, I'd like locations with sand tracks (Africa maybe?).

I'd also like a livery editor as in DiRT 4 (preferably a bit more sophisticated). Also, the game should be more mod-friendly with user-made liveries actually appearing in the car selection menu.

But most of all, I'd like DR3 to become a sustainable long-term platform that will be updated and expanded for many years (like Microsoft Flight Simulator, for example) instead of throwing it all away and making a new game every few years.

Dirt Rally 2.0 does have hill climb mode with Pikes Peak.

Edited by Bullpupguy
  • Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, Bullpupguy said:

Dirt Rally 2.0 does have hill climb mode...with Pikes Peak. Lol

No, it doesn't. Hill climb mode was part of DiRT Rally (1) only, not DiRT Rally 2.0.

Just now, Laserjones said:

No, it doesn't. Hill climb mode was part of DiRT Rally (1) only, not DiRT Rally 2.0.

You mean in career mode?

2 minutes ago, Bullpupguy said:

You mean in career mode?

No, Hillclimb was a separate game mode in DR1. I never played career mode, so I'm not sure whether it was included there as well. But in DR 2.0, it's completely missing.

1 hour ago, Laserjones said:

No, Hillclimb was a separate game mode in DR1. I never played career mode, so I'm not sure whether it was included there as well. But in DR 2.0, it's completely missing.

ImodeI just checked and couldnt find it...I suppose I was thinking of a different game altogether...

But yes, I enjoyed hill climbing as well. I hope the add like 3 or 4 hillclimb events in the next dirt rally.

My idea for future dirt rally game after dirt rally 1 about track deformations was listening and useful so I have some new ideas

Ofcorse proper sim rally game 

Game loook like event rally wekkend so :

Recce with public car and makes notes by yourself by all stages in the event ( somethings like pacenote editor) 

Maybe some garage tuning stuff and car tuning base of the stages then event starts. U have hardcore damage one try but u have yours notes and this is proper rally sim not repeating stages all the time like circuit. 

Ofcorse there will be difficulty slider for not hardcore sim fans and single player stages and clubs u may drive with your own notes 

For me, online racing and the community is the two most important things. 

So i hope we get more online features. Leagues, spectating, broadcasting and stuff like that on consoles aswell. 

OK this is the place to said this:

I have been watching videos of "D5 playgrounds" and it looks great, I would like this feature of track creation to be applied to the next dirt rally game. As we have seen, "D4 yourstage" did not work as it should, but if you a tool like the one "D5 playgrounds", applied to natural settings, with different species and sizes of trees, shrubs, mounds of earth, stones, different surfaces, sections, which can be manipulated for example to the length and width of a straight section, or curve, and you can add one by one the vegetation as well as all kinds of things can be added in "D5 playgrounds", it could truly bring infinite life to a rally game with good physics and cars. 

I'd really like to have hillclimb in a DiRT game again.

And VR for the playstation would make it much easier and more fun to drive.

On 8/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, doeternitoeV10 said:

Something that would be very very useful for RX imo would being able to turn on a virtual mirror, especially when running lower FoV the closest of the 2 dashcams, the arrows just aren't sufficient to be aware of where other cars are around you imo.

I have to agree - the arrows to guess where the opponent is, are to less exact. That causes much crashes and is very bad for RX. Should be a fix with the next patch in DR 2.0 by the way.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, S14Mii said:

I'd really like to have hillclimb in a DiRT game again.

I'll make a counter-suggestion: I'd really like hillclimb to be left out completely. I'd also really like rallycross to be left out completely. No land rush, and absolutely positively definitely no effing gymkhana whatsoever. Rally, and nothing other than rally. So that all developer resources are spent on fine-tuning and perfecting rally and making rally content, what is most certainly the top priority of the game, where the resources are best used. Instead of spending resources on petty side content that only a minuscule amount of players are interested in compared to rally, and that is subsequently treated as worthless side content even by developers themselves, such as that game-breaking issues affecting the side content, such as the broken rallycross AI, are ignored because they only affect worthless side content that no one cares about, instead of rally that the game is all about.

A Dirt Rally game has absolutely no need for non-rally side content because there is more than enough substance in rallying to make the game exclusively about rally. Rallycross and hillclimb should be a completely separate title from rally. Though that most likely will never happen, because like I said, very few players give a toss about them compared to rally. Which kind of begs the question why the hell they should even be shoved into a rally game at all.

Depth, not width. Instead of several half-baked disciplines, make rally the absolute best you possibly can and leave the dead weight out.

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

More setup slots. As it is now you can not even have one for each country and it would also be nice to have enough slots for both wet and dry stages.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but also being able to see about penalties in the leaderboard (clubs).

Dont force us to set manual clutch override in assists when driving cars that has a clutch.

When driving trough water puddles let us feel it in the FFB. Now its theres only a couple that actually affects the car.

Im sure this been up but let us see in the leaderboards what kind of assists others use and if they on a wheel, gamepad or keyboard.

Edited by somethingthing

21 hours ago, HoksuHoo said:

...I'd also really like rallycross to be left out completely...

Well in this case I'll have to rate for Rallycross 😅

It's the one thing I (and a lot of other people) really love on dirt 2.0! It's so much action and fun to race directly against other people with awsome powerful cars ❤️❤️

I'd also only buy a game only with rallycross content. But Codies will only have to watch their servers and they will see if it's popular or not.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, S14Mii said:

Well in this case I'll have to rate for Rallycross 😅

It's the one thing I (and a lot of other people) really love on dirt 2.0! It's so much action and fun to race directly against other people with awsome powerful cars ❤️❤️

I'd also only buy a game only with rallycross content. But Codies will only have to watch their servers and they will see if it's popular or not.

I want MORE Rallycross content! Not only are Codemasters the official license holder of the RX games, they do it very well! 

If you play online multiplayer there are always RX servers going.

I know Rallycross isnt the same discipline but its hard to say RX isnt in the same vein. Its basically where group B cars ended up and continue to be to this day if you think about it...

On 9/20/2020 at 11:46 AM, HoksuHoo said:

I'll make a counter-suggestion: I'd really like hillclimb to be left out completely. I'd also really like rallycross to be left out completely. No land rush, and absolutely positively definitely no effing gymkhana whatsoever. Rally, and nothing other than rally. So that all developer resources are spent on fine-tuning and perfecting rally and making rally content, what is most certainly the top priority of the game, where the resources are best used. Instead of spending resources on petty side content that only a minuscule amount of players are interested in compared to rally, and that is subsequently treated as worthless side content even by developers themselves, such as that game-breaking issues affecting the side content, such as the broken rallycross AI, are ignored because they only affect worthless side content that no one cares about, instead of rally that the game is all about.

A Dirt Rally game has absolutely no need for non-rally side content because there is more than enough substance in rallying to make the game exclusively about rally. Rallycross and hillclimb should be a completely separate title from rally. Though that most likely will never happen, because like I said, very few players give a toss about them compared to rally. Which kind of begs the question why the hell they should even be shoved into a rally game at all.

Depth, not width. Instead of several half-baked disciplines, make rally the absolute best you possibly can and leave the dead weight out.

I would like Rallycross and Hillclimb to be included. Not only do they share many similarities, they mix up the action a lot!

Landrush, gymkhana, etc. Those are Dirt games not Dirt Rally games.

I will say, if they went all in on rally it would be spectacular! Im saying like, replicate it as detailed as possible. It would be cool to drive up to the start line instead of just magically appearing there. Would make the build up a bit more intense.

Edited by Bullpupguy
Added reason for reply