DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

What features do we want to see in a future DIRT Rally game?

18 hours ago, somethingthing said:

More setup slots. As it is now you can not even have one for each country and it would also be nice to have enough slots for both wet and dry stages.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but also being able to see about penalties in the leaderboard (clubs).

Dont force us to set manual clutch override in assists when driving cars that has a clutch.

When driving trough water puddles let us feel it in the FFB. Now its theres only a couple that actually affects the car.

Im sure this been up but let us see in the leaderboards what kind of assists others use and if they on a wheel, gamepad or keyboard.

And get rid of that fake-ass cattle grid baked-in effect feeling. 

On 6/23/2020 at 6:47 AM, Drummeer said:

The most important thing for me is Full triplescreen support, just like in all other true sims. We must be able to correctly adjust the FOV, adjust the correction to the bezels and angle of the side monitors to get the most correct picture without distortion.

+1

iRacing does this with native support, ACC works fine with Eyefinity and has a "triple screen" box to tick if you are running 5760x1080 which fixes the distortion. It's really noticeable and a decent amount of your audience is the hardcore type who would be more likely to opt for triples.

I suck at quoting, but everything Mike Dee says here! Even just the basic stuff - I run a daily WRX event and afterwards I have no idea of seeing what my lap times were, just the total. More stats, more records, more stuff to geek out about.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:00 PM, Mike Dee said:

Have we already listed "Better player stats" on this wishlist? What do I mean by this?

1. The odometers in Time Trial cars should work. Some people spend literally days in there over the life of the game chasing down different WR's, let me see how many miles I've ended up putting on the different Time Trial cars. Keep it completely separated from My Team, that's fine, but why don't we have more stats about what we do in Time Trials
  2. Give us just STATS about each game mode. How many miles/hours driven in My Team. How many in Time Trial? How many in online MP lobbies? How many in Colin's Challenges? That's literally 1 stat that I'd want to see in at least 5 different filtered styles; My Team, TT, Customs, Colin's, and Total. Expand on that; which car is used the most per location; per mode; classes, etc. These are all the cool little details car enthusiasts can eat up and love to do it. This is what let's people "bond" with the cars. You feel connections to them. 
  3. You have all of this online stuff, WHY AREN'T ANY OF THE STATS FROM IT AVAILABLE. Why can't I see how many total Daily events I have entered? Where is the stat showing my % of top tier placements compared to entries.
  4. Stage records should be easily available to see; we should be able to compare across cars/classes, against our own times in other classes/cars and compared to friends or the online community as a whole. If I pull up Sweet Lamb, Wales in a records/leaderboard style menu I want to see my fastest PB, and then be able to see my PB for every class below it too - let me then select the class and select a specific car to see that PB.
  5. We do cool things, let us obsess and go OCD over stats.

• Like 1

Here is my Dirt Rally 3.0 wish list that I will add to, elaborate on and edit over time:

Let me start by saying that I really love the Dirt Rally 2.0 game. I bought it shortly after release and have been playing it ever since. It is my favorite modern racing game to date. Just as in real racing, things can almost always be improved. These are some suggestions and ideas that I think would be really nice to see implemented in the next Dirt Rally game. I realize that these are just my opinions and do not represent the views of everyone in this community and I fully expect people to disagree with some of these things. That is completely fine and I welcome it because I think it works towards generating better ideas when done in a productive manner or at least showing what the majority of people would like to see even if those views differ from my own. Please read this knowing that I wrote this not to attack anything in Dirt Rally 2.0 but to try and get people talking more specifically about things or solutions that might make the next game even better.

A new game engine that supports 30+ km stages that is not held back by previous gen hardware constraints (Xbox Series S/X, PS5 and similar PC performance only). Designing a game that supports the old hardware will definitely constrain what can be done and hold the series back significantly. New hardware doesn't matter as much if software capabilities aren't advancing with equal progression. I would really love to see at least two 30+ km stages per location. You can chop those up and reverse them for more variety but I would love to see stages that are 2-3 times as long as they currently are. It's time to move away from the current EGO engine, into something with less constraints. New console (PS5 & Xbox Series X) and PC GPUs can read textures directly from high speed NVMe drives allowing for much greater detail and much longer stages. If you choose to support older hardware with slow storage it's going to be a huge compromise and hold the series back. Please do something really innovative and blow us away with rally immersion. I hope the next Dirt Rally and WRC games from Codemasters doesn't use the Dirt 5 engine, unless it is highly modified to suit stage rally and rallycross. Please maintain the focus on true to life rally simulation and don't water it down for the masses. I want to see more simulation aspects added along with the graphical improvements. People call Dirt Rally 2.0 "the Dark Souls of rally games" and I absolutely love it. Since the numbered Dirt and Dirt Rally teams are separate, there should be a big difference in the resulting experiences.

A better lighting model where headlights and light pods illuminate further and in a more realistic manner both at night and during the day in dim areas. As it is there are areas in multiple locations where even though it is quite dim, the headlights barely do anything. It would be pretty cool to have ray tracing but done in a way to limit the performance hit.

Dynamic weather or being able to set weather intervals to trigger during the stage could be cool if done well. It would be neat to start and half way through it starts to rain. The following stage could start with rain and then gradually dry out as you exit the edge of a rain shower. If not dynamic weather, then more weather options per location. Please do not lock weather or conditions to locations such as fog. Fog as an option is great but no other options is not good in my opinion.

Dynamic Surface Degradation 3.0 where the the road surface is more detailed and options to make road order even more meaningful. It would be amazing to actually be able to alter rally location surface types and surface subtypes. (I.e. small, medium and heavy gravel, smooth, medium and rough asphalt, add rocks, water puddles, muddy sections, etc)

It would be really cool if there were stage editing tools where you could create your own stages and share them like in Dirt 5. I feel like being able to create the road section of a stage, being able to alter width, elevation, camber, surface type and surface texture throughout the stage and then have it generate the location around it could be interesting if given the tools and items to modify it to your liking. You could add muddy sections, water puddles, rocks, trees, fog conditions, dust conditions and tons of other hazards and details. Instead of a random stage generator it would be a semi-custom stage generator.

A better physics model that does away with the center pivot model and includes HUGE improvements to asphalt handling. This would be really cool if it included a model where the tires are actually interacting with the road surface. Along these lines, I would love to see tire choice be more meaningful and to have remaining tire tread represented in a graph or percentage for each tire so we can see the wear at the end of each stage. It would be neat to see tire pressure and stage temperatures come into play as well. A partnership with Michelin to get proper rally tire engineering data would be amazing since they will no longer be the WRC tire supplier, focusing more on national/regional rally tire supply. I learned that the new Forza Motorsport game will have a new tire pressure model, new heat interaction with tire pressure, dynamic track temperatures, rubber-in on tracks, new suspension system with new modeling and a new atmosphere pressure system affecting air density, dynamics, and power. The game is also rumored feature off-road and rally locations. It would be great to see some or all of these things incorporated into Dirt Rally 3.0 in meaningful ways.

An improvement to AI times and consistency versus my skill level. The new consoles have much more powerful CPUs and GPUs so these can definitely be put to good use. A dynamic AI that adjusts based on previous stage performance might be something that could be done. I realize this idea is a little out there. A more practical solution would be balanced AI with a slider to adjust pace.

A color palette that was geared more towards realism and less stylized would be nice for future stages.

A more realistic damage model and a drop down menu with different levels of severity for the
damage model.

It would be nice for players that drive in a cockpit view if the weather effects were more balanced as to not penalize players more for using an interior view. It is very difficult to see in Sweden using an interior camera. Also, it would be nice if the rain effects on the side windows were toned down because a properly prepared rally car with rain-x or other hydrophobic coating would repel water buildup rather nicely on all of the windows that it was applied to. As it is now, there is way too much water accumulation on the side windows. Since quite a lot of time is spent with the car sideways, it makes it very difficult to see even in conditions that would not warrant that type of visual impairment in real life (expected incoming pictures of rain conditions showing that it is difficult to see out of side windows...but in vehicles where no hydrophobic rain coating or anti-fog chemicals have been applied).

I would like to see my rank along with the total number of people that have completed an event whether it be a daily, weekly, monthly or club event. If I managed to finish 189th in a daily, whether that is good or not depends on how many people participated. If there were only 195 people then suddenly that is not that great. I know there are tiers 1-4 that correspond to percentage ranks but top 10% of 10,000 seems cooler than top 10% of 100 participants. As others have stated above, I would love to see much more data to compare myself with other players such as average stage/event speed, tires used, input type, rank within total number of participants, top 20 ghost replays to see what faster players are doing to achieve times, telemetry data that displays steering/throttle/brake/handbrake/selected gear/RPM simultaneously over ghost replays)

I would love to see fantastic modern and classic cars from Hyundai, Toyota, Volvo and other manufacturers featured in the next game. I would also like to see the new Rally3 and Rally4 cars that should be replacing R5 and R2 class cars if I am not mistaken. Also, I have seen new R4 class cars that look great that would be great to have in the game.

It would be so amazing to be able to do each stage in a recce mode and be able to select/customize your pacenotes. I absolutely love Phil Mills voice and I would be sad to see him replaced but I would like there to be more detailed notes in the next title. If you think that would be too much for some players then make a toggle for advanced or detailed notes where they are scaled back to only the most critical information for less skilled drivers that have less pace or can’t handle/don’t want that much information.

Please don’t go more into managing a team as far as hiring and firing staff members and replacing them with better ones. I like that the Dirt Rally games are driver focused and hiring/firing an engineer is something that the human resources branch of the team would do and not something that I am interested in micromanaging as a driver. Hiring an engineer and upgrading abilities for a focused team (i.e. Dirt Rally 2.0) is one thing but having to constantly swap out engineers and other team members because they are fatigued is not fun to me. I am not looking to be the nap time director. I don’t think you are moving in this direction but wanted to give my 2 cents worth on this topic.

Continued VR support for future titles

Triple screen support that has FOV adjustments, screen bezel adjustments and options for getting the image corrected so that nothing looks skewed/warped.

Will you please add the ability to adjust the two dash camera views? Can a greater range of adjustment be added to the cockpit view that has the steering wheel? It would be really nice to have a toggle to show or hide the steering wheel for wheel users that don't necessarily want to use the dash camera views.

I think a multiplayer stage mode where you can race the stage at the same time as your friends where they are ghosted and vica versa might be quite fun. I think it would so be neat if the game supported sending challenges where you could set up the stage or event conditions and send a notification that would take them directly to the challenge and then you could see the detailed results of those challenges. This could be like a custom daily challenge for your friends.

Clubs 3.0 dailies, weeklies and monthlies with more data, options and modes to get people interacting, competing and comparing stats with each other. When I complete a stage or event, I would really like to see my rank along with the total number of participants, the stage name, average stage/event speed, input type (controller or wheel), amount of time penalties, selected tire compound, selected car, stage time, total time, camera view, etc. I also want to be able to filter by this information. It would be cool to see how you stack up against other controller or wheel players in a more detailed manner.

Ability to be able to turn headlights and wipers on/off before the start of the stage.

It would be interesting to make brake bias mappable to buttons to allow for changes while driving the car.

Improvements to FFB feel, support and adjustment options. It would be fantastic for it to actually feel like you were driving a real rally car and for the wheel to be able to convey road surface, road texture, ruts, bumps, off balance landings, understeer, oversteer and be able to react or make corrections as a result. If the front wheels are pushing instead of turning the car, it would be helpful to feel that. If I am getting the car sideways, I would like to feel that in such a significant way that I can respond in time and keep from spinning. If you don't already, please support pedal sets that have vibration motors on the gas and brake pedals. Basically what you do for impulse triggers but for pedals that have this feature. Please support lower priced wheels all the way up to the best direct drive wheels from Fanatec, Simucube and SimSteering2 by Leo Bodnar. There is so much detail that could add to the experience. I haven't play Dirt Rally 2.0 with a wheel but would really like to get one for 3.0 if the FFB is done well.

A few unexpected moments that could be added to the next game as nonpermanent conditions could be lingering dust, fog in certain sections of stages, etc.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Edit
  • Like 4

I just posted the same thing on another thread, but please please bring back side by side genuine splitscreen racing. Time trial racing (turn based or time only splitscreen) with your mate sitting right next to you is rubbish! 

i would love to see stages that has more scenery. Because the stages now all look the same. There are not much point within a stage that you can really recognize. Look at WRC 9 for example.

Also i would like to see the stages Kanyia and Japan 🙂 And maybe a little bit longer stages. More stages that go to the 15-25K range.

And last but not least the graphics could really have an upgrade.

No F2MaDMaXX, the rally aspect of DR2.0 is still cool with the challenges and career and all, but splitscreen is just something I'm putting out there that I miss from earlier console games. (Currently I'm on PS4)

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, AngryGPMG96 said:

No F2MaDMaXX, the rally aspect of DR2.0 is still cool with the challenges and career and all, but splitscreen is just something I'm putting out there that I miss from earlier console games. (Currently I'm on PS4)

I mean, if they still hold the RX license by then, a splitscreen rallycross mode 1v1 would be a lot of fun.

Edited by Bullpupguy
Grammar
  • Agree 2

From an online interactive perspective I think three major things will make DR3 and subsequent WRC games a game changer in virtual rallying;

-A live online rally event mode that is Broadcast-able and replicates a real rally experience. Auto-generated (random & new) 15-20 stages, 1 hour to 48 hour rallies. That have 50 car, live broadcasting grids (We currently have 150 player battle royales so this can't be impossible) -This is the ultimate in virtual rallying design surely? I think Codemasters can do this - So instead of daily/weekly/monthlies we have right now we would have live rallies happening. And Cross Platform of course!

-Stage surfaces - The current stage degradation is way too dramatic and disrupts the car's balance too much (floor hitting road a lot) - I would expect stages to be generally smoother but also much more unforgiving if you go off the road!

-A robust anti-cheat software - I think iRacing is the benchmark

• Like 1

Seasons.

By this I mean: the leaderboards reset every so often. Quarterly, whatever. To line up with updates.

Why: 

* Push people to stay engaged

* Allow Codies to change the maps if they have to without invalidating every previous time. If they find out that there's a nasty cut, that will be part of season 1's times, but season 2 will not allow that cut. Whoever did the best on the season 1 version of the map will always have that record, but by allowing a reset, you free the team to fix the problems without worrying about backward compatibility.

Posted (edited)

Anticheat Stage Verifier - (especially for eSports)

I would like to suggest an automated system that can verify a specific run in an esports event as being either valid or suspicious to some level.  The way it can work is to log both the game inputs and the vehicle position/attitude etc (outputs)  each frame when people are doing esports events (or other events). Then when an organizer wishes to verify that no cheating took place in that run , they can execute the Stage Verifier which will: in the background play back the inputs/outputs as required and using the exact same setup/car/stage/weather/tyres see if the result is as expected.  If the vehicle deviates too much from the expected path/velocity based on the built in physics/dynamics then flag the times where this occurred and let the organizer play back the video with a report of the deviation to judge if it is cheating.  Essentially use the game's own simulation to check whether it would consider a specific "advanced ghost recording" as accurate.

To put some icing on this you could draw on the stage the path that the recorded vehicle took, versus what the inputs would make the car do in an un-hacked/un-compromised game session.   And more icing would be a graph area showing what the ghost did and what it should have done with those inputs.

Edited by bn880
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, bn880 said:

Anticheat Stage Verifier - (especially for eSports)

I would like to suggest an automated system that can verify a specific run in an esports event as being either valid or suspicious to some level.  The way it can work is to log both the game inputs and the vehicle position/attitude etc (outputs)  each frame when people are doing esports events (or other events). Then when an organizer wishes to verify that no cheating took place in that run , they can execute the Stage Verifier which will: in the background play back the inputs/outputs as required and using the exact same setup/car/stage/weather/tyres see if the result is as expected.  If the vehicle deviates too much from the expected path/velocity based on the built in physics/dynamics then flag the times where this occurred and let the organizer play back the video with a report of the deviation to judge if it is cheating.  Essentially use the game's own simulation to check whether it would consider a specific "advanced ghost recording" as accurate.

To put some icing on this you could draw on the stage the path that the recorded vehicle took, versus what the inputs would make the car do in an un-hacked/un-compromised game session.   And more icing would be a graph area showing what the ghost did and what it should have done with those inputs.

i m agree with no cheating race but how is possible because codemasters authorized different setup for controllers and steering wheel ( i no talk for car setup ), because if you change the saturation and linearity  of your wheel or your controllers the car is not same 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gk9147 said:

i m agree with no cheating race but how is possible because codemasters authorized different setup for controllers and steering wheel ( i no talk for car setup ), because if you change the saturation and linearity  of your wheel or your controllers the car is not same 

This is largely independent of this input logic as the recorded data can be in the internal sim format used.  And specific datagrams/packets can be saved for pad/keyboard if required.  It's still an input that the game uses so it's an input it can record and play back in the format it desires.

Edited by bn880

Interactions at service parks:

• open/close any door
  • switch on/off lights
  • start/stop the engine
  • walk around the car

Users should decide before the next SP (racing ...):

• with or without lightbars
  • with or without mudflaps

• Like 2

I'm way deep at the bottom of the thread here, but I'm going to throw in a couple of pennies from a true noob to Dirt Rally 2.0 who's now spent over 100 hours enjoying the hell out of getting pummeled by inanimate objects in a fast-moving car. These have probably been mentioned before, so bear with me.

1. More basic educational resources: The videos and tutorials and car blurbs are great, but there's still a hella lot of information that's difficult to find coming into the game brand new. I had to post on this forum just to find out what a "shakedown" is supposed to be/do? 
  2. Better livery previews: Maybe I'm missing it here, but when I select a livery for a race, I only can see one angle of the vehicle. A couple of times, I've been surprised by the livery once I see it from a different angle. Would be nice to have a 3D rotation for that.
  3. Along with #2, some basic personal livery options. Even allowing players the ability to choose 2-3 colors on a livery would be a step up from the limited options available now.
  4. More groups: An Irish Rally had 12 groups in one race. Maybe add a couple more down the speed chain. *** is Group N, anyway? 
  5. Between stage drives: I only recently learned that the IRL teams do some sort of ceremonial drive from one stage to the next during an event (thanks to watching the 2020 Irish Border Rally wrap-up on YouTube). I think this would be a neat touch for, say, the career mode.

All in all, keep the game to the level it's at - at least. And keep it focused on the single race ecosystem.

• Like 1

Haha, just got to respond to the 'ceremonial' part 🙂

Special stages are sections of road/off road sections that do not start/stop next to each other.  Rally cars need to be road legal to drive to the next stage to compete.

14 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Rally cars need to be road legal to drive to the next stage to compete.

It's pretty wild to think a car like this is allowed to just hop on the road and head to the supermarket:

Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC - Wikipedia

I wonder if anyone has bought an ex-WRC car just to have as a daily driver?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

It's pretty wild to think a car like this is allowed to just hop on the road and head to the supermarket:

Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC - Wikipedia

😄  Depends where you'd drive it, a lot of people would make noise complaints as these things really are excessively loud.  So in some cities you'd get the cops or bylaw harassing you because of complaints.  So putting on a muffler somewhere would be a good idea, even for yourself.  Other than that might be ok. (remember not enough heat for winter, and no AC for the summer)

Edited by bn880

Another audio preset that makes the sound "muffled" like it would be with a helmet on. Same goes for the co-driver, having the pacenotes sound like they from come from a radio, maybe its very good quality nowdays but i doubt it sounds as crystal clear as phill do.

Edited by somethingthing
  • Like 1

I'd like to see your personal race data available online, without going into the game. "What's my personal best in the R5 Polo in Hammerstein in the wet?"
Just look it up. I believe we had these stats online in Dirt Rally. "How does my time compare to the community at large?" Dirt Rally had distribution graphs online.
Make looking up your community and AI challenge, including bonus challenge, performance available, and work more consistently than it does now.

• Like 2

The wish of hundreds of millions of Chinese fans

Hope to update Chinese phonetic Guidebook

I'd be interested to know if anyone else shares my wishes for each unique stage variant to receive a number identifier, within a given location.  It would make things so much more simple, particularly when you're playing with VR.

Currently in order to replicate a club rally for a practice session in a custom rally you need to write down all the stage names, weather, time of day etc.  If there were numbers you'd possibly be able to just remember them and not need to write anything down.  

How are REPLAYS not mentioned on page 1?  The game just needs to save your inputs, replay files should be really small. Why on earth can I not save them to  view them later?!

Edited by Blither