DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

What features do we want to see in a future DIRT Rally game?

3 hours ago, bn880 said:

I think this is an interesting point for developers.  I have a similar story, not about VR, but I stopped playing WRC9 almost immediately because they don't offer a narrow enough (realistic) FOV, at least on a super ultrawide monitor.   Complete deal breaker to me, and they don't even have a support forum so, hear no evil see no evil for them.

Point is sometimes stuff that seems small, blocks certain people from using the product. (not that VR is that small 😄 )

It's a shame really. The game is really good but stuff like that can completely break it. When researching VR compatibility I also saw a post from one of the devs (on Reddit, I think) pretty much shrugging it off. So, I don't have any hopes for the next installment unfortunately. I'm guessing they're aiming at the console market primarily.

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Handling and feeling are clearly the most important thing to get right, and DiRT Rally 2.0 almost nailed it; I am sure (because it's been discussed at length) the dev team is aiming to get that 100% spot-on in future projects.

That being said, you can have the best physics in the world but if there's nothing to do in a game then it's all for naught; GRID (2019) had this problem as the driving was great but activities were lacking.

Contrarian as I am I think there's a lot of work that needs to be done with the physics. However, I also think the most important thing is that the devs have the ambition to go in (what I think is) the right direction. DR2 made good improvements on it's predecessor so I hope they keep going down the path towards more realism.

Isn't driving something to do? I mean, rally is essentially going from point A to point B, seeing who does it in the shortest amount of time. The rest is sort of fluff.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see a more engaging career mode and the challenges can be a bit of fun, but fundamentally it's just about driving like a loon taking the more scenic route. 

Many players need more motivation than simply "here is a car, go drive" 😉 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Many players need more motivation than simply "here is a car, go drive" 😉 

Maybe they don't actually like driving, or they would like it more if the physics were better? 😉

As long as it's not at the expense of realism I don't mind fleshing out other game modes. I hope, however, that you don't do an SMS. They downgraded their game and tried to make it more "fun", I suppose because racing wasn't fun to them, and it turned out to be an utter failure. I would hate to see the same thing happen to DR.

2 minutes ago, Gregow said:

I hope, however, that you don't do an SMS. They downgraded their game and tried to make it more "fun"

You need not worry about that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Gregow said:

Maybe they don't actually like driving, or they would like it more if the physics were better? 😉

Disagree, you're not grasping the market and people.  I love driving and handling, realism to the max including damage, broken steering, suspension bits, leaking coolant etc.  But the game would be pretty ***** if it only had sandbox mode and a timer.  The sim part is a foundation for the game, the actual game becomes the campaign, online components incl TT, customizations, achievements etc  etc.   You're looking at this from a very limited user perspective.

• Agree 3

yes true @bn880 , i want real damage car model, hardcore mode on Dr 2.0 is bad , and how is possible to drive with very hard setup and you drive easily on off-road part ( finland australia ....) same for the brake when player drive only front brake but he have never problem with brake. exemple on PCars 2 if you drive with only front brake your car have problem ( hot brake you have bad effect on braking ...)  , if you drive with very hard setup on bumpy road you have very bad effect when you driving , if  you push your motor in max, the motor have problem ....  

personally i want really damage for DR3 

for info i drive in brutal  mode on PCars 2 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, gk9147 said:

yes true @bn880 , i want real damage car model, hardcore mode on Dr 2.0 is bad , and how is possible to drive with very hard setup and you drive easily on off-road part ( finland australia ....) same for the brake when player drive only front brake but he have never problem with brake. exemple on PCars 2 if you drive with only front brake your car have problem ( hot brake you have bad effect on braking ...)  , if you drive with very hard setup on bumpy road you have very bad effect when you driving , if  you push your motor in max, the motor have problem ....  

personally i want really damage for DR3 

for info i drive in brutal  mode on PCars 2 😉

More less yes I agree.  I think DR2 has a few of these things with hard/low suspension, but it's not extremely apparent, it just degrades the suspension faster I believe.  Meanwhile a lot of the huge jumps should do serious damage to the classic cars on landing IMHO.

Definitely no problems with overheating brakes in DR, no issues with abusing/over revving the engine, etc as you mention.  I do hope these things are improved. (and please give us engine coolant temperature readouts 😛 )

Edited by bn880
  • Like 2

I've only been playing Rallycross whilst I learn each circuit to whatever my limit is at that time.  Some things that I'd like to see adjusted or explored.  No doubt everything I say will have been mentioned numerous times and I haven't explored online much.  I had a quick look but only saw handful online on xbox which I get is the smaller platform.

Rally 'School'
Some actual schooling/tips/something to make this feature more than just me doing the same things over and over with no idea of what I'm doing wrong.  Even if it's just the ability to add a P2 in their own car that I can watch from their view or by following in my car.
Multiplayer 'freeroam' on circuits in a similar mode for learning.

An extra level above very hard AI and an option to adjust aggression especially at the 1st turn.

Replays -
A little more control on cameras.  Such as when selecting broadcast cameras and it keeps switching to the A pillar looking towards the rear.  Can't see the point in these at all really.  I'm just learning Barcelona and trying to see what I do going into the gravel and right turn but it kept switching to that camera 3/4 times if not every time.  Then it'll switch to the other side so I can't see how I can improve at the jump.  Being able to orbit around the car would also help I think.  Plus it would help creators with screenshots.  Annoying when you've had a great race with some nice overtakes and watch the replay but can't see any of them unless in cockpit/chase cam which doesn't give much in terms of a change in perspective.
Why no heli cam in RX?  Would be great to see an overhead view of lines taken and distance gained/lost.  How far from obstacles/apexes

Time Trial -
Allow sessions with option to turn off all damage with no time/lap limit and no 3 sec wrong way disqualification but which doesn't record times.  Or just turning off punctures would help.

Is the game mode restricted by license?  ie like ACC, F1?  Just thinking, like others, I like the physics, I like that it's hard but I wonder if there could be more options for customising races or having extra tracks for national series and some form of improved career path.  Even if it's just for the new consoles/PC.  

Edited by MauriceMiller

i want to see painstakingly done and revised pace notes.

both DR1 and DR2 are unplayable at the elite level because of the messed up co-driver calls.

well, unless you know every turn by heart.

More in depth career mode : start from the bottom and try and make it to the top but don't make it easy to buy new cars,eg. Pay for fuel/tyres/entry fee/sponsors ,loose sponsors too if not good enough.

Tyre wear: need to improve how they wear and the effect of cold and over heated tyres.

Damage model: more realistic damage and more wear to parts and unexpected parts failure. 

New events: need some more new events ,be happy to loose a few of the current ones for new ones . Tighter stages and open stages, like wrc were you might start open road but then go to tight sections or vice versa . Be nice to have some more country's brought into the game especially tarmac rallys.

Clubs: need to have all classes as an option rather than just one,its always fun beating a wrc car in a mk2 lol.

Bonus : drive from parc ferme to stages or from stage to stage. Be invited to drive as 00 on some stages.  Choose from different championships like gravel/tar or what class you want to compete in depending on engine size and drivetrain( wont apply to wrc and r5s) more cars in stages,  more debris pulled out on the road depending on running order and it make a difference to grip levels.  Worse weather conditions.  Actually have to que behind cars at stages. Just more realism so you feel involved.

Hey Everyone,

I havent read the whole thread, so its possibly nothing new. But the things I would like are :

An option to select someone on the online leader board as your “Challenger”.

Like 30 position ahead of you to have your times compared to him as popups during the stage. The current feature to compare your self to the fastest guy in game is rather pointless for the majority of the players since they will never see a green sector.

More tracs per country / more country’s from the beginning.

I stopped playing the single player championship because there are at one point 12 stages per country or something like that. And since there are just two tracks per country. Driving every corner so often makes it feel like driving on a track and not driving a rally. So either another track per country, or reduced the maximum number of stages per country and add more countries.

More explanation regarding tire degradation.

To be honest I haven’t found out if there is a deeper model in tire degradation than you drive x amount of Km, your tires have degraded this much. Or if the driving style/ setup are accounted for. If so, I would like a more detailed info during the tire changes to see which tire was degraded how much.

More Setup slots for each car

Steam workshop support to share car setups and maybe some liveries as well

Thanks for reading

Edited by Hallododa
  • Agree 1

Some shorter stages (2- 3km) and the occasional long stage (10km)

More dirt/gravel based country stages

Wider tracks (or smaller car views)

Ability to turn off fog

21 minutes ago, Dribbleworks said:

Some shorter stages (2- 3km) and the occasional long stage (10km)

More dirt/gravel based country stages

Wider tracks (or smaller car views)

Ability to turn off fog

You want the dirt series, not dirt rally.

• Agree 1

Bonjour, que dire de plus tu as tout dit Boba fett, tous ce que l'on souhaite c'est de l'émotion et le plaisir. 

Mr Codmasters écoutez la communauté des amoureux de ce sport fantastique: le rallye. 

Mon playseat Fab Perso 022.jpg

• Agree 2

Bonjour, à mon tour d'appuyer les dires ci-dessus. Il y a une forte demande de la communauté simraceur concernant le rallye, malheureusement à aujourd'hui les jeux sont accès plutôt sur le mode arcade.

Dirt rallye 2.0 est une bonne alternative mais pas suffisamment aboutie à mes yeux. 

Nous aimerions une simulation de rallye digne de ce nom, comparable aux simulations sur circuit (I-racing, Rfactor, ACC etc), avec une vraie gestion stratégique de course (météo, gestion des pneus, réglages, dégradation etc....). En gros un Richard Burns rallye version années 2020. 

Il faudrait penser un jeu exploitable i-sport et intégrer un mode spectateur pour des retransmissions en direct sur les chaines dédiées, où le spectateur pourrait zapper sur les différentes voitures en course sur la camera de son choix en live commenté type asseto corsa compétizionne, il y a largement de quoi s'inspirer.

Je ne doute pas qu'un tel projet soit ambitieux, mais c'est ce qu'il manque aujourd'hui en simracing, ce serait une vitrine magnifique pour votre firme, l'occasion pour codemasters de montrer ce qu'il sait faire aujourd'hui,  pour les joueurs d'assouvir leur passion et d'attirer encore plus de monde dans une communauté déjà très populaire.

Je ne pense pas qu'un énième jeu d'arcade, lisse et commercial type dirt, WRC, sébastien loeb apporterait quoi que ce soit et puisse séduire d'une quelconque façon notre communauté, je croise les doigts pour que vous nous entendiez.

D'avance merci.  

Fab_lieb   

Edited by secteur18
  • Agree 2

I haven't read all this but I have had a txt file of changes I would like to see. I have about 800 hours in DR1/DR2. Not the most I'm sure but a decent amount. Here is random stuff I have compiled.

General features and changes
Fix Racenet stability. If the game launches like DR2 and I cannot login well that's an issue.

Offline single player campaign, unable to do basic single player campaign because Racenet is down is ridiculous. At least there is the second tab that has a few things I can mess around with but I have already finished all the historics/FIA/McRae DLC.

New/updated locations. Goes without saying I think we all want new locations or updated stages for existing locations. I watched 5 hours of the 2021 WRC Monte Carlo event over the weekend it would be cool to have some of those full stages. I know there is already a giant separate thread on stages they should add 

Add some longer stages like real rally stages. I like the stages in this game but it would be cool to have some of the real life longer stages. Also on the topic of stages I prefer them all to be real stages I do not want some kind of random generator thing like Dirt 4. 

QA the pace notes. Spend more time to get the pace notes correct on all stages.

Option to save replays. Then view replay in either pancake mode or VR mode.

Keep all existing cars but add a few new ones (honestly I don't mind driving the same cars if I have new places and a larger variety of stages)

View full car when choosing livery not some tiny thumbnail.

Small objects like a tiny flag or a small bush should not damage my car or slow it down

Other objects and things should destroy/damage my car. Hardcore damage is cool but make it a bit more realistic it is still very forgiving.

More realism/options in general, sequential + clutch, better physics, tire models, more tire choices, etc

Further refine the physics, DR2 is pretty good but it could be better in areas. 

Bigger Dirt Fish type area and allow up to like 4 players in one area together. I love this area for training and it would be fun to be able to help train my friends.

Add option for modding like AC has. Probably never happen but this only helps the game in my opinion.

Add option to share tunes. I have some ideas of things to change based on how the car feels but sometimes I just want to let a professional handle it. I can go to youtube and look it up but just have a system in game to download other tunes. Even add the option to rate them higher or not so good ones go to top. Can make incentives like money reward if your tune is used a lot.

Add photo mode.

Time trial show percentile. I finished 200th, cool. 200th out of what it is meaningless. I have to roughly gauge where I am using the bar in the side. Just show my exact percentile or say 200 out of 1000. Same for daily/weekly/monthly show 200th out of 1000 or whatever the current standings.

Just add more options in general. I play a lot of Assetto Corsa as well and I love all the options in content manager. Give us more graphics settings, more FFB settings, more realism settings.

VR specific changes/fixes, I race only in VR, cockpit, no assists, no HUD, so some of this stuff might not apply to everyone.
First and foremost please add VR support from the start.

Option to rename tuning setups in VR, why was this not patched in DR2 I don't know but it's annoying.

View replays in actual VR (not looking at flat screen actual VR replay, Assetto Corsa already has this)

View full car rendered in VR when choosing livery, probably not possible in a multiplayer game where you have to select in 30 seconds but at least allow this when viewing our car in the garage. Pancake players also probably want to be able to see their car better in garage as well I would imagine, something akin to the showroom in AC.

Render the scene where your car pulls up to the start line in VR, I know this is possible because I had it happen once as a bug in DR2 and it was very cool. Similarly render finish line cutscene in VR.

Allow option to render entire car in VR that I can turn on or off as I want. I know this will impact performance so make it an option. Sometimes in VR I want to get out of my car and have a walk around it. (Assetto Corsa already allows this)

Better VR graphics. I get a lot of brush and tree pop in which breaks immersion. Also track surface could look better.

Better weather/effects/lighting. No idea where to start with this so many things. Make it so my side windows are not just a blurry smudge when it rains that would be a start. Just make lighting in general better look at AC with mods for example. At night in Dirt Rally sometimes I cannot see more than 5 feet in front of me. 

Do not add pay to win or microtransactions. Do not turn Dirt Rally 3 into unrealistic arcade game, keep it a pure rally simulator.

Probably more stuff but this is already a wall of text.

Edited by Ion1
  • Agree 1

Could be cool to see custom grid for semi finals and finals for rallycross tournament instead of it being random

• Individual split practice
  • Bring back Community Delta
  • More demanding Hardcore Damage mode
  • Manual car recovery without waiting
  • View championship details from within an event
  • Custom pace notes
  • Custom audio for pace notes
  • More stages from other Dirt games
  • Ability to mark cars as favorites
Edited by sgt
  • Like 1

• Clutch enable option for preventing the engine stall is a must for Dirt Rally 3.0. I would really like to use the clutch on hairpins like in reality.

• Also what I wish to see in DR 3.0 is a more realistic sound of the engine when downshifting gears.I want to hear the engine screaming during the braking zone like the Hyundai i20 in WRC.

• And a last thing: At least a career mode like WRC 9 with teams,contracts,targets to achieve and upgrades for the car.Even better an upgrade pack for the car like F1 series career mode would be great!!
Edited by AlexZach

Bonjour, entièrement d'accord avec tout les suggestions du dessus il faudrait aussi enlever la vue extérieure c'est un bon jeu de simulation ! Car pour les joueurs en vue extérieur ils sont bien plus avantagés déjà ils n'ont pas à subir la pluie sur le pare-brise qui est vraiment gênante comme dans des conditions réelles! Ce serait bien aussi de pouvoir personnaliser ses voitures

1 minute ago, laurent87 said:

Bonjour, entièrement d'accord avec tout les suggestions du dessus il faudrait aussi enlever la vue extérieure c'est un bon jeu de simulation ! Car pour les joueurs en vue extérieur ils sont bien plus avantagés déjà ils n'ont pas à subir la pluie sur le pare-brise qui est vraiment gênante comme dans des conditions réelles! Tous sont nombreux à vouloir un jeu de simulation qui jouent dans les conditions réelles des vrais rally et non pas un mode de voiture télécommandée lol

5 hours ago, laurent87 said:

Il faudrait aussi des explications plus détaillées sur les différents réglages de la voiture

On 1/24/2021 at 5:06 PM, F2CMaDMaXX said:

You want the dirt series, not dirt rally.

Nah, only Rallying for me. I just want the cars to be a realistic size on the track in chase view. Roads are usually 2 cars wide, not 1. More room for sideways cornering. Would like to have a few shorter stages so I can learn the track inch by inch and perfect it like the good old Colin McRae Rally 2.0. 

45 minutes ago, Dribbleworks said:

Nah, only Rallying for me. I just want the cars to be a realistic size on the track in chase view. Roads are usually 2 cars wide, not 1. More room for sideways cornering. Would like to have a few shorter stages so I can learn the track inch by inch and perfect it like the good old Colin McRae Rally 2.0. 

You want the Dirt series.  

Your requests are not the reality of rally, rally stages are commonly lanes or trails, and rally isn't designed to be learned like a circuit (regardless of whether that happens i a game you can easily retry over and over)

You want the Dirt series.

• Agree 1