DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

What features do we want to see in a future DIRT Rally game?

feel the outside of the road on the steering wheel (grass, sidewalk, ...), this info was on dirt 4

Posted (edited)

I think the most important thing would be to rethink the physics engine of the game, because force feedback is also based on it. The physics look good in dirt rally 2.0, but the force feedback is "blurry", which allows me to conclude that the physics calculations are rough, and it's only solved by tricks to make them look good. Users already have fast enough CPUs to be able to do the necessary calculations, no need to trick.

Edited by bredsfx

9 hours ago, bredsfx said:

I think the most important thing would be to rethink the physics engine of the game, because force feedback is also based on it. The physics look good in dirt rally 2.0, but the force feedback is "blurry", which allows me to conclude that the physics calculations are rough, and it's only solved by tricks to make them look good. Users already have fast enough CPUs to be able to do the necessary calculations, no need to trick.

Your calculations went off the rails with the first assumption.

Sorry late to the party and someone may have listed this one already but here goes

Better Rallycross MP event customisation

On PS4 At the moment I can play a single race or a Full Series, but I can do that with 8 friends on ps4! So theres a need to expand the number of players to a private lobby (as I have more than 8 friends wanting to play) and let me set the number of stages in a rallycross event. I only want to play 1 qualifier, or none at all, but I have to do 4!

• Agree 1

Since we are on a Multiplayer fix right now:

Better waiting screens when joining a Lobby that is already in progress.

Man this has to be one of my biggest gripes of the current MP experience. You join a lobby already running a race, you don't mind waiting, but we have zero indication of how the current race is going.

1. Best solution is to let us join the event and spectate the current race
  2. Good solution is to give us a circuit/stage map with active markers on it showing progress, positions, and timings
  3. Acceptable solution is a simple timing board with splits and current running time

Seriously, there has to be a better way than what we currently have to engage the drivers waiting in a lobby. You just sit there for 7 minutes staring at a lobby screen with no feedback, just twiddling your thumbs while you hope the "XXX finished racing" message pops up subtly in the top corner.

• Agree 2

On 5/2/2021 at 9:57 AM, bredsfx said:

I don't agree with this. FFB is great, you can only really feel all the effects good with a DD wheel. The phisics on tarmac could be improved but it's definitely not the most important thing. The most important thing is BY FAR VR improvement.

10 hours ago, GuusHugo said:

I don't agree with this. FFB is great, you can only really feel all the effects good with a DD wheel. The phisics on tarmac could be improved but it's definitely not the most important thing. The most important thing is BY FAR VR improvement.

That's good then if you can afford to pay over a £1000 pound for the wheelbase and the same again for a rig that can hold it in place plus another £1000 for this and that's to complete the package , the proles wouldn't mind a share of the FFB as well ; you know.

How about a ‘Service Budget’ option for clubs? So each competitor has a budget restriction alongside a time restriction in service set by the club organiser. New parts, or part worn parts could be used to save money and things like tyres also eat into budget. Slower cars in each class could have cheaper parts to even up the class. On endurance events this could reward competitors who drive cleanly without taking big risks etc. If you spend all of your budget repairing your car in service 1 then you’d need to keep an eye your driving for the rest of the event.