DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

What features do we want to see in a future DIRT Rally game?

a simple solution that works for cuts being taken that shouldnt. many events are brilliant yet become hated just because of cuts available.

make it so leave the track road by more than a car width and you are penalized. im sure people at codies can sort this out and its time to do it. no more cutting whole sections or driving across fields. please.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'd prefer whatever solution maintains the freedom to actually keep driving the car, avoiding artificial resets as much as possible. This was a great improvement DR2 showed over DR1 imo. (It's even worse in WRC 8.)

Plus I'd agree with the approach of continuing more towards reality's restrictions.

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, ApexAzimuth said:

I think the solution to egregious cuts could be solved by having a damage model that's more strict.  If there are rocks/stumps/bushes/ruts where those cuts exist, and the damage model is realistic, you'd run a severe risk of critically compromising your car by taking cuts.  At the very least you could end up with a bent wheel, steering arm, axle, etc. This wouldn't eliminate cuts, but it would seriously discourage them.  Afterall this is what keeps real life rally drivers from making big cuts as there's not a steward at every corner ready to mark someone down for corner cutting.

The problem with using penalties is that the system won't differentiate a mistake from an exploit.  If you lose control and slide into a corner and off the road, you suffer not only the time lost from damage to your car and the crash itself, but salt in the wound by being punished through a penalty on top of it.  That would be amazingly frustrating and unrealistic at once.

i think thats probably too much work or too complicated. look at what we have had to stop cutting over the years its barely changed. so to think a super duper over the top system with depth might get added i cant see it. i think the devs maybe want it but there just isnt the time to do that allowed.

id love to see it myself. i just cant see that much time and effort being plowed into it.

it deffo needs sorting. many events are ruined by stupid cuts which shouldnt happen. hopefully we get to some proper solution in the next game.

56 minutes ago, dgeesi0 said:

i think thats probably too much work or too complicated. look at what we have had to stop cutting over the years its barely changed. so to think a super duper over the top system with depth might get added i cant see it. i think the devs maybe want it but there just isnt the time to do that allowed.

id love to see it myself. i just cant see that much time and effort being plowed into it.

it deffo needs sorting. many events are ruined by stupid cuts which shouldnt happen. hopefully we get to some proper solution in the next game.

I think you're overthinking it a bit. It doesn't need to be that complicated - if there's a proper damage model in place already, then just making the roadside extra bumpy, or extra gloopy/muddy/snowy, would be enough to discourage cuts, because of the risk of damaging the car or getting it stuck.

14 minutes ago, caerphoto said:

I think you're overthinking it a bit. It doesn't need to be that complicated - if there's a proper damage model in place already, then just making the roadside extra bumpy, or extra gloopy/muddy/snowy, would be enough to discourage cuts, because of the risk of damaging the car or getting it stuck.

im only over thinking it as if it was this simple to achieve im sure it would of happened already. so there must be reason/s to why it isnt already in the game. people do come up with creative ways to ramp jump rough terrain so while it may seem like the best idea i still think personally having the game detect when you are too far from either the middle of the road or edge is the best way of going about it. how you penailize that i will leave up to them as this often creates lots of conversation about whats right or wrong.

if you know the car cant leave the road more than one or two car widths then you know they cant drive across any terrain or make big cuts.

with rough ground or trees in the way or whatever at some areas this obviously will not work correctly or people will find ways to still cut. if the car cant be within say 2 car widths unless they hack this you cant cut.

its great seeing peoples reactions to this and all feedback is welcome. whatever works im down for it ! :classic_cool:

Edited by dgeesi0

45 minutes ago, dgeesi0 said:

im only over thinking it as if it was this simple to achieve im sure it would of happened already. so there must be reason/s to why it isnt already in the game.

Like I already said, it's not in the game now because the damage model is not punishing enough to make it work. All of my suggestions are predicated on there being a realistic damage model.

• Like 2

Even if cutting penalties are applied, just don't always make penalty and a reset the same thing. Sometimes penalties could be applied while allowing a player to keep driving (with risk of more penalties) or reset by their own choice. Working out a cool dynamic penalty system would be a lot cheaper than damage and terrain work.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, XenialJ said:

Working out a cool dynamic penalty system would be a lot cheaper than damage and terrain work.

True, but imo a proper damage system is so important, it kind of needs to be in the next game. Moreover, it's a major part of real rallying, and the balance of risk vs reward currently tips too far away from 'risk' in the game as it is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Auto clutch needs to go. If you spin the car and you’re using manual transmission (or semi auto) then the car should stall. I also shouldn’t be able to pull away in 6th gear or something stupid. 

• Agree 3

I forgot to mention one thing: I want physics that does not turn the car 180 degrees when it comes into contact with a fence. Because that's not physics.
The same applies to road edges that appear to have been made of reinforced concrete (New Zealand, Wales)

• Confused 1
  • Agree 3

Console FoV slider

Off-line career mode with substance (as mentioned by others) 

Realistic graphics colour palette and photographic textures (as mentioned by others) 

Sure, improve the fidelity of grip conditions, but please don't lose the playability with a console controller. 

• Agree 4

8 hours ago, VirtuaIceMan said:

Am I allowed to suggest wrestling the WRC license away from the current holders? :classic_biggrin:

While that would result in a much better game in the WRC series I reckon that would severely limit what Codemasters can dish out to us each time. They’d have to make a new game each year - or presumably have to justify if they wanted to take a year’s break - and they probably wouldn’t be able to include all the extra cars and locations which gives DR quite a lot of USP.

I also think the competition between DR and WRC is healthy - they’ll both be trying their hardest to make the best rally sim so my hope is one day I will buy a WRC game and keep it for more than two days 😅

• Haha 3
  • Agree 6

On 2/11/2020 at 5:50 AM, caerphoto said:

This is mostly true, however for TimeTrial you need a system that discourages un-sensible cuts that is not risk based as that implies a chance you might get through fine.  You do absolutely need something that is 100% guaranteed to cause trouble. like a penalty or slowing you down.   So for the rest of the game I agree with you, but remember that TT people will take all risks until one out of every 50 runs they make it through.

• Agree 1

This might seem a bit nuts but it would be cool to experiment with.

Doing your own Recce and Pacenotes.   It might be tedious and awkward but we know it's possible as there's a mod out there that lets you do this.  If a system like that were refined and put in the game, it could be a cool way to communicate that aspect of rallying in a game.

Multiplayer ride-along/Co-Drive.  This would also be nuts, but it would be really fun to have the game support a co-driver that rides along with you in the stage.  There could be an in-game UI for a co-driver to show pacenotes on screen and check them off as you go.   This would definitely be unusual, but it'd be an awesome option for players to experience being a co-driver.   Clubs that required real co-drivers (AI Co-Driver disabled) could be made that could have a really authentic experience.

At the least, it would be cool to have the option to join someone in the co-driver's seat just to ride along, even if they're not doing pacenotes.

Edited by ApexAzimuth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

53 minutes ago, ApexAzimuth said:

This might seem a bit nuts but it would be cool to experiment with.

Doing your own Recce and Pacenotes.   It might be tedious and awkward but we know it's possible as there's a mod out there that lets you do this.  If a system like that were refined and put in the game, it could be a cool way to communicate that aspect of rallying in a game.

Multiplayer ride-along/Co-Drive.  This would also be nuts, but it would be really fun to have the game support a co-driver that rides along with you in the stage.  There could be an in-game UI for a co-driver to show pacenotes on screen and check them off as you go.   This would definitely be unusual, but it'd be an awesome option for players to experience being a co-driver.   Clubs that required real co-drivers (AI Co-Driver disabled) could be made that could have a really authentic experience.

At the least, it would be cool to have the option to join someone in the co-driver's seat just to ride along, even if they're not doing pacenotes.

Honestly, I also thought of something like that, I mean the first one, own Recce and Pacenotes but in a little bit different way, by computer. I mean, after completing shakedown, when we are fast enough, the co-driver can propose changes in his pacenotes, so for example changing 5 left to 6 left. On DiRT YouTube channel there is even a video about that.

By the way, would like to have got this co-driver. Nicky Grist is a legend.

• Like 2
  • Disagree 1

Must express my undying love for Phil Mills. His voice is like the rally equivalent of sweet, lilting folk music. 

Not to argue against other co-drivers being used, but I hope Mills is retained at the least. 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

20 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

please don't lose the playability with a console controller.

I totally agree! I play on keyboard and the handling is just brilliant! Other simulators are unplayable without a wheel.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

can we remove these black standing objects. often at the start of the rally is a great chance to get some of the best close up pics. also in some events you actually nearly hit them or do on starting.

without them in place it would look better at the starting line aswell.

also on replays could you have fade in and out of the events with sound on starting and ending. this doesnt sound like much but when editing its kinda frustrating 3-5 secs long.

wdwdwdw.png

• Haha 1

There's something from Mobil 1 Rally Championship 2000 that I would like to see again in modern rallygames, in Rally Championship the leaderboards (single stage times & rally times) contained every car class. So when you were driving an A5 car you could see how u competed against the bigger & more powerful A6's & A7's.

And beating them felt hugely rewarding, obviously with an A5 you weren't going to beat every A7 car but still when you were able to mix in the top 5 and beating others of your own class, that felt really good.

So imagine in DR3 when driving an Evo X R4 f.e. and beating some of those R5's and being able to see it in those multi class leaderboards, that would be great.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2020 at 11:39 PM, VirtuaIceMan said:

Am I allowed to suggest wrestling the WRC license away from the current holders? :classic_biggrin:

What I understand if you have the license you need to listen to the holder company.

But money talks and Kylotonn can't do proper 60 FPS game on consoles so they should give it to CM. On Xbox you have now for free TT Isle of Man and it's so bad with 30 FPS. It's like they don't know what they do 😄

• Haha 1

more attention to the GRID problems and the community sugestions 😀

Got a nice flash on there :

Auto-mapping of the real gearbox pattern used for each car, as to keep it as real as possible (real gearboxes pattern can be found in documents there : https://historicdb.fia.com/cars/list )

Also while we are at it, only make actual transmissions and differential ratios that were available according to VO and their erratums in the homologation documents