Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

What features do we want to see in a future DIRT Rally game?

I'm sorry if this has been said before but I would like for whoever the co-driver is in the next game (hopefully still Phil) to sit in an advanced full motion rig and have a perfect computer driver go through the stages while Codemasters records Phils vocals for the pacenotes.

To add to that, perhaps record 3 different speeds so his vocals (and urgency) change depending on the speed the driver goes and dynamically change between the multiple recordings as the driver goes faster or slower throughout the stages.

Im not sure how the last vocals were recorded since you can occasionally hear a bit of a warble in Phils voice but they don't seem to correspond to any bumps I feel while driving in my full motion rig.

As long as whoever the co-driver is, can stand VR, they should also photoscan each of his written pacenotes and have the co-driver be able to flip pages somehow as the new notes come into play while in VR. Not only would the vocal Recording be more convincing since he or she will feel more there in the vehicle but the same notes could be used for a dedicated co-driver mode in the game, similar to how WRC is doing it but this would be in VR.

I have been thinking about this for a while and it seems it would be very simple to accomplish, hopefully it will add to the realism of the vocal performance.

Edited by Bullpupguy
Grammar

Apologies if raised before - I've not read all 17 pages.

We should be able to visit each others houses by the time Dirt Rally 3 is out, so what's the chance of having an offline multi-player rally option for when friends come round to visit? I'd like to set up a Rally with several players all taking turns at the same stages.

Think Multi-player from the original "Colin McRae Rally".

• Social Media & Community Team
22 hours ago, Bullpupguy said:

I'm sorry if this has been said before but I would like for whoever the co-driver is in the next game (hopefully still Phil) to sit in an advanced full motion rig and have a perfect computer driver go through the stages while Codemasters records Phils vocals for the pacenotes.

To add to that, perhaps record 3 different speeds so his vocals (and urgency) change depending on the speed the driver goes and dynamically change between the multiple recordings as the driver goes faster or slower throughout the stages.

All of this is already done.

• Agree 3

what it would be really very good also is a real support of the triple screen because the current version (ego engine) does not support the triple screen of more the slider which allows to adjust the field of vision only allows adjustment of 5 degrees in 5 degrees which is really too much when you want to refine at best to have a very simulation rendering

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

All of this is already done.

Well damn...lol that's both great and odd. I guess I'm just not exactly where whoever did the runs originally were to have the bumps match up with the recordings.

Do you agree with the added co-driver mode? I think that is a pretty logical step going forward.

• Social Media & Community Team

It doesn't matter if I agree or not, but rather that everybody else posting in this thread agrees 🙂 

• Agree 1

in Dirt 2.0 the crowd is very dense and enormously animated which consumes a lot of graphic resources if you watch carefully a rally video like that of Sébastien Loeb some post above in the WRC you can see that the people on the side of the road are relatively static, there is in reality very little movement, I speak to you knowingly because I myself have done rally, maybe we could save a lot of resources or have the possibility of having a crowd adjustment very very low, static, so as not to consume graphic resource settings

• Confused 1
19 hours ago, DTSShiny said:

We should be able to visit each others houses by the time Dirt Rally 3 is out, so what's the chance of having an offline multi-player rally option for when friends come round to visit? I'd like to set up a Rally with several players all taking turns at the same stages.

Came here to make a few suggestions and this was one of them. Also would be great if when racing in VR the option to show the live 3rd person view on monitor for spectator viewing was possible.

Apologies if some of these have been mentioned before but other improvements for the next instalment:

1) more tracks or if possible, a track creator. Track types could be based on the existing ‘themes’. I know the community would make some amazing tracks and would bring the game closer to the spirit of rally in which the routes don’t become as memorized (because there would be so many) and paying attention to the co-driver is essential. A rating system for tracks would be needed. The course creator in the Golf Club / PGA Tour 2K21 golf games would be a good reference for how this could be implemented. This feature has really contributed to the success of those games. 

2) improved tarmac physics and FFB. I recently tried the Trento Bondone tarmac rally stage in Assetto Corsa with the Toyota Celica and Audi Quattro and the car feels much more connected to the ground and the FFB is more ‘detailed’ (?). Of course I’ve never driven a car like these but it feels closer to how my daily driver feels on the road. 

I’ve put 120 hours into playing this game since January and it’s so good, I’m having a blast learning how to drive the cars across all the stages. Upgraded from a Logitech to Fanatec setup in that time. Just wanted to chime in while the next game is in development. 

• Agree 1
10 minutes ago, Bullpupguy said:

Do you agree with the added co-driver mode? I think that is a pretty logical step going forward.

A dedicated codriver mode has been suggested here somewhere, who knows if it will happen (likely not for 3.0).  But your ask for rendering actual notes on the notepad in VR as well, I think that's really far fetched.  That sounds like something for a 4.0 if it ever happens.

Edited by bn880
14 minutes ago, bn880 said:

A dedicated codriver mode has been suggested here somewhere, who knows if it will happen (likely not for 3.0).  But your ask for rendering actual notes on the notepad in VR as well, I think that's really far fetched.  That sounds like something for a 4.0 if it ever happens.

I think it would be relatively simple if the notes exist in real life, why not have the co-driver actually turn the pages. It can be an infinite book and the notes can be blown up to be larger so the lower resolution vr headsets can still clearly see and read them.

Or like an app on the phone where you could take a picture of your own pacenotes and load them into the game to change the pages at your own discretion. Just have the page change mapped to a single button but you could hold the notepad as close to you as needed with the vr controllers.

I just feel like it would be cool to have a legit co-driver mode so you could meet across the country and they could have a similar experience as the driver.

22 hours ago, DTSShiny said:

A hot-seat mode has been heavily requested since DR2 launched, so I am really hoping they include it with any future rally titles. Just like you describe, I used to have 5 or 6 friends over for a weekend game day and part of it was doing some rally inbetween boardgames. Would be so much nicer to have a hotseat instead of writing everyone's times down on a whiteboard.

• Agree 1

A fun feature I think would be to have basic and advanced pace notes. As we know, the current pace note system is quite basic compared to what you get in WRC. I think there's a place for basic calls, but having advanced calls would be a great addition to those who would like more details in their pace notes. Plus, I want to learn what modern rally drivers use these days!

On 4/13/2021 at 10:00 AM, Bullpupguy said:

I think it would be relatively simple if the notes exist in real life, why not have the co-driver actually turn the pages. It can be an infinite book and the notes can be blown up to be larger so the lower resolution vr headsets can still clearly see and read them.

Or like an app on the phone where you could take a picture of your own pacenotes and load them into the game to change the pages at your own discretion. Just have the page change mapped to a single button but you could hold the notepad as close to you as needed with the vr controllers.

I just feel like it would be cool to have a legit co-driver mode so you could meet across the country and they could have a similar experience as the driver.

I don't disagree that it would be cool for a dedicated co-driver mode.

it would be really nice to have an angle based FOV setting and not a slider which is not precise.
Currently in Dirt2.0, in full screen with a triple screen the FOV is really too small and does not allow you to fully enjoy the game.
Support for the triple screen would also be a plus for a game that aims to be "pure simulation". It's a shame that players who have a triple screen, even if they are not in the majority, can feel left out in this aspect of the development of the game. if this feature were developed, I would naturally be ready to be a beta tester 👍

Edited by AlexSchouba
1 hour ago, AlexSchouba said:

Currently in Dirt2.0, in full screen with a triple screen the FOV is really too small and does not allow you to fully enjoy the game.

I know this isn't strictly a discussion thread, but just wanted to clarify:  It looks like the max FOV you can get in the game is about 135 degrees currently with the slider at +5.  You are saying the triple setup provides more than 135 degrees?  (I think it is possible)

i've a triple screen 32"  at a distance of 55 cm from my eyes, so i use 40° vertical FOV (vFOV)

Dirt 2.0 FOV slider middle is 55° vFOV , it decreases by 5 ° in 5 ° if you go to the left and increases by 3 ° in 3 ° if you go right, so an amplitude of 30 ° to 70 ° vFOV

but this value it's right only in single screen 16/9 or 16/10 or windowned, if it's on triple screen full screen 5760x1080 the rendering and distorted, the FOV is much lower. 

Now that Codemasters will have the WRC license, I'd like to have all the WRC stages in Dirt Rally 3.0. I get it that career mode, cars and official events will stay in the WRC game, but at least give us those stages too.

- Proper STABLE VR support for ALL handsets including WMR.

- Focus on great performance for VR, as good as in 2D (2D is really good already).

- Analog handbrake support, as it was in DR1.

- Slight improvements in physics/car handling, especially on tarmac.

- Bug fixes, such as smooth arms and wheel movement and proper brightness settings so that an "VR eye accomodation fix" isn't needed.

- Further improved graphics, especially LoD of trees should be improved.

- And great, extra content; more cars and tracks.

That would be it, that is enough to make DR3 a masterpiece.

• Agree 1
40 minutes ago, GuusHugo said:

- Proper STABLE VR support for ALL handsets including WMR.

- Focus on great performance for VR, as good as in 2D (2D is really good already).

- Analog handbrake support, as it was in DR1.

- Slight improvements in physics/car handling, especially on tarmac.

- Bug fixes, such as smooth arms and wheel movement and proper brightness settings so that an "VR eye accomodation fix" isn't needed.

- Further improved graphics, especially LoD of trees should be improved.

- And great, extra content; more cars and tracks.

That would be it, that is enough to make DR3 a masterpiece.

Vr needs to be a huge priority going forward if they want to future proof their game. Wrc 7+8+9+10 are digging their own grave by only focusing on flatscreen gameplay.

Also, I agree on the arms, have you ever been turning for an extended period and watched that shifting arm go back and forth for no reason like that are is confused as to why you're not shifting?...lol

Edited by Bullpupguy
Misspelled word.
  • Agree 1

I was talking about this last night on stream while we were trying to get into multiplayer lobbies...

We need a "quickplay" matchmaking system that generates a 1 event, 1 stage rally/rallycross lobby with roughly equal participants.

The biggest issue with the current MP in DR2 is how absolutely boring it is to wait to get into matches. If you show up 5 seconds late you are left staring at a lobby screen with almost ZERO indication of what is happening in race. We don't even see split timers or anything.

So lets skip that and make sure everyone ends up in the lobby at the same time. Quickplay matches of 5-8 drivers in a RNG event - maybe have some basic constraints so it only selects from Group A, R2, R5 if you want or leave it completely RNG.

Now let's take this one step further - this is the perfect way to generate a ranking system. RNG events means you can't prep nearly as well and have to do well in all scenarios. This could be a fuzzy/soft ranking and isn't meant to match something like the "ranked matchmaking" of more esport focused games, but I think it would do very well to differentiate players into general tiers.

And imagine how much more fun it would be visually seeing you have your "A License with 980 points" and cracking 1000 points will bump you up to "S License" ranking. You get incentivized. Now start showing those license ranks on the daily challenges too, because it would be so much hype to see your name with a B License next to it fighting your way into the top 100 of your favorite stage.

Basically lets dive in to the competitive part of this game and really make something out of the multiplayer experience with it all

Edited by Mike Dee
  • Like 1