Jump to content Jump to content

What features do we want to see in a future DIRT Rally game?

• 3 weeks later...

#1 - VR

-More of a campaign.  I like the unlockables of better performance for the community challenges, along with the Colin McRae scenarios.  Somehow combine all of that for single player.  Also, money was given out too easily and unlocking cars was basically not a concern.

-Community Event Rankings - going with how the dr2.today site has top X%, you should take the last ~ 10 events and give a Rank based on average top X%.  something like: Top 1% Master, Top 10% Elite, Top 25% Professional, Top 50% Clubman, Top 75% Rookie, The Rest X% - Amateur.  Throw that rank + an Icon next to the player's name that shows they can improve their rank, it would help competition in the community events overall, since saying "I got Top 100 in X Event" can mean nothing if there are (exaggerating) only 100 people who do an event.  There would have to be separate rankings for Dailies, Weeklies, and Monthlies because of how the strategies are different.  Maybe even throw in a rank based on time trials too based on how many times people actually complete a stage versus getting a good time, or just rank based on average time in time trials.

-Suggestions to Improve Driving - Use patterns in telemetry, penalties, and car damage to suggest how to improve driving.

-Also, with the campaign, I preferred the bespoke Historic rally vs the randomized Career, but having both is always nice for the options.  It's more fun talking about the 1991 McRae challenge at Scotland, since it's the same for everyone, than it is saying "I beat Master level in rally."

-Ability to explore stages off-track more to make each location feel like an open-world if we wanted to just mess around, or even some "open world" achievements that don't rely just on times.  "Longest air," or "speed trap," etc.  I think the Mcrae Series dove into that idea a bit and was fun.

-Some made for VR foliage/trees/rocks/track.  Aliasing is everywhere unless using some strong MSAA to blur it out.  Some stages are so distracting, especially at night, with the light bouncing off the rocks and aliasing searing into my eyes.  Aliasing is the worst thing for VR.  I wouldn't mind super simple trees/foliage/pebbles that are crisp and simple with no aliasing, it would help performance too.  iRacing has great performance and still looks good with crappy trees.

Bugs:
-The in cockpit wheel and player model does not move smoothly, it seems like it's at 30FPS.  Very jarring in VR.  Make it smooth.  

-In addition, let the in-cockpit player model move with the DOR of my IRL wheel.  It's jarring when I want to try out a car with its "natural" DoR, since everything over/under 540 does not line up with my wheel when using the in-cockpit player arms, so I play with no driver.  I'm guessing it's not done now because it would look ridiculous using a controller with super fast hand/arm movement.  The in-game wheel movement/playerhands should be fixed to work with all DoR somehow, like every other racing game has.  Simply changing steering saturation changes the DOR, so that's not a fix.

Either way, 2.0 is great, any of these added features/fixes would be awesome in the next one.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 4:26 PM, xcAzx said:

Use patterns in telemetry, penalties, and car damage to suggest how to improve driving.

Oh boy are you in for a treat with some of the future planned features... 

Check out the Beta site and sign up for more details - https://racenet-beta.codemasters.com/

On 7/10/2021 at 4:26 PM, xcAzx said:

going with how the dr2.today site has top X%, you should take the last ~ 10 events and give a Rank based on average top X%.  something like: Top 1% Master, Top 10% Elite, Top 25% Professional, Top 50% Clubman, Top 75% Rookie, The Rest X% - Amateur.  Throw that rank + an Icon next to the player's name that shows they can improve their rank,

Take it one step further - give out special badges for finishing top 10 in a daily or taking P1 in an event. Give us customizable calling cards we can have show up on the leaderboards when looking at times. They can be mild/subtle, but maybe let us badge our favorite manufacturer on our entry or pick an unlocked badge to be by our name on every leaderboard.

Edited by StockTunesOnly
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, StockTunesOnly said:

Oh boy are you in for a treat with some of the future planned features... 

Take it one step further - give out special badges for finishing top 10 in a daily or taking P1 in an event. Give us customizable calling cards we can have show up on the leaderboards when looking at times. They can be mild/subtle, but maybe let us badge our favorite manufacturer on our entry or pick an unlocked badge to be by our name on every leaderboard.

How about unifying Racenet and dirt rally profile names so it's one or the other...so annoying to try and figure out who you are playing against online, even when they are people you know. Lol

• Like 4
  • Social Media & Community Team
On 7/19/2021 at 5:51 PM, Bullpupguy said:

How about unifying Racenet and dirt rally profile names so it's one or the other...so annoying to try and figure out who you are playing against online, even when they are people you know. Lol

One of the challenges with that is that with RaceNet you can link multiple platforms to a single account.

Let's say you make a Codemasters RaceNet Account and call it Colin.

• You connect your Steam account, which is called Sebastian.
  • You connect your PlayStation account which is called Petter.

What name should the boards, website and such use?

Bear in mind that in some places, Sony must display your name as Petter, and if somebody is on PlayStation they can't be told that your Steam name is Sebastian. Likewise on the other platforms.

Hopefully this explains why RaceNet and platform names can differ depending on where you view them. It's a bit of a juggling act.

• Confused 1
Just now, StockTunesOnly said:

Man why can't Sony and Micro just keep it simple and let us display whatever names we want 😒

Because they are bean counters.

• Like 1
On 7/27/2021 at 7:38 AM, PJTierney said:

One of the challenges with that is that with RaceNet you can link multiple platforms to a single account.

Let's say you make a Codemasters RaceNet Account and call it Colin.

• You connect your Steam account, which is called Sebastian.
  • You connect your PlayStation account which is called Petter.

What name should the boards, website and such use?

Bear in mind that in some places, Sony must display your name as Petter, and if somebody is on PlayStation they can't be told that your Steam name is Sebastian. Likewise on the other platforms.

Hopefully this explains why RaceNet and platform names can differ depending on where you view them. It's a bit of a juggling act.

Perhaps there should be an option to select just one name that is displayed for the game with some kind of disclaimer attached to it. 

Something like "By selecting this option, you are agreeing to go by ONLY this name throughout all of our services" etc. 

I see why it can be an issue but there needs to be a way to correct this as it is very confusing.

I’m driving a lot in MyTeam, and for the most of the time, as an average driver, I always get red split times on the progress bar to left on the screen (except for «Delta Daylies»). To make the progress bar more interesting, instead of just having On/Off, I would like to have three settings in the «OSD settings» for «Progress bar»:

(1) Red/Green for times compared to the leader (this is how DR2.0 works today)

(2) Orange/Blue which works as number 1, but instead of all players, your times are compared against players from your friends list on PSN/Steam/Xbox

(3) Yellow/Purple which compares the times with my own personal best on that very stage

I would also like the Yellow/Purple setting to be used also for all other modes as well, and not only MyTeam, of course. 😉

Maybe I'm late on this, but I've been thinking of realistic ways to discourage corner cuts, without resets or time penalties being applied. Resets are perhaps the most annoying and immersion breaker solution possible, and a time penalty system wouldn't work in my opinion because it wouldn't be possible differentiate a driver mistake from a deliberate cut.

That being said, I think the ideal solution would be some "soft surface" tech (or whatever you guys call it in English) as we see in games like Spintires/SnowRunner/MudRunner. It doesn't need to be as advanced as in those games, it could be a simplified version, maybe something like the snowbanks we have in Sweden, but with more drag to simulate mud. This soft surface can be placed at strategic points on the stages (like the red marks in the screenshots below), so drivers won't see this surface (which will be hidden by grass) until they try to cut through the fields and get stuck.

c01.jpg

c02.jpg

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

I would like to have super realistic damage mode. That way you would have to drive more realistic way or otherwise car would broke. Example if you cut and hit something, you would lose a tyre and not just jump unrealisticly. Realistic physics offcourse (very hard to do) and more stages to old rallyes. Would be interesting if every rally would have a normal map with roads and you could draw a stage from those roads. You just use junctions to decide which way to go. Different type of roads to the map and maybe two maps to location. 

On 7/29/2021 at 6:39 PM, Von4wd said:

Maybe I'm late on this, but I've been thinking of realistic ways to discourage corner cuts, without resets or time penalties being applied. Resets are perhaps the most annoying and immersion breaker solution possible, and a time penalty system wouldn't work in my opinion because it wouldn't be possible differentiate a driver mistake from a deliberate cut.

That being said, I think the ideal solution would be some "soft surface" tech (or whatever you guys call it in English) as we see in games like Spintires/SnowRunner/MudRunner. It doesn't need to be as advanced as in those games, it could be a simplified version, maybe something like the snowbanks we have in Sweden, but with more drag to simulate mud. This soft surface can be placed at strategic points on the stages (like the red marks in the screenshots below), so drivers won't see this surface (which will be hidden by grass) until they try to cut through the fields and get stuck.

c01.jpg

c02.jpg

I have heard they were considering this already for 2.0 internally.  And they have also heard about support for this from me and other members on a discord server.  I think its a no brainer that they need to add a bit more friction off road, but this does have to be coupled with time penalties for a smart overall solution to all the possibilities.  It is actually possible for them to determine in a very coarse way if you are just having a huge moment/crashing or are cutting.  They can analyze the time loss which you would have from a big crash and not apply a time penalty (in general).  If you have a moment and end up taking a huge cut at a very good pace, you are likely to still get a penalty, just like IRL.

I hope that dr3 can add a painting editor, add a road book editor to allow players to use their native language road book, and more online features, such as adding a game mode, allowing players to hold their own competitions, and hope that the audience will not occupy the quota of the room

• Agree 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Correct pace note because dr 2.0 have very bad pace note 

Reallly rain tyre  

Upgrade tarmac physics

good strategy tyres and strategy tyre for Rallycross

Historic tyre for Historic car because the tyre is very grippy on DR 2.0

Edited by gk9147