Jump to content Jump to content

What features do we want to see in a future DIRT Rally game?

caerphoto

I personally can't see the point of driving a sim with a keyboard. I mean, the whole point is to simulate the real experience and it's not like the career modes in these games are very compelling. With that said though, I don't think it's an issue directly related to physics but rather tweaking the input from the controllers and maybe adding some assists. At least that's what I think would be the right approach.

What I really don't want to see are things dumbed down in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience. By that I don't mean exclude players with controllers. Rather, don't try to make it as approachable as possible with simplistic physics and dumb gameplay in an attempt to appeal to the most casual gamers who barely know what a car is. Like SMS did with Project Cars 3.

I hope Codemasters dares to make a demanding and challenging hardcore rally sim - one that takes realism (in physics first and foremost) to the next level.

That doesn't mean unrealistically difficult, but rather that things that are difficult in reality should be difficult in the game, and things that are easy should be easy.

"Unrealistically difficult" is not so common for modern sims though. Only one I can think of is Asetto Corsa with some cars and how it sometimes reacts to putting a wheel on a curb or touching grass. Seems like they improved quite a bit with ACC, but I haven't tried it as the cars don't interest me. Making cars behave properly on and over the limit seems to be a bit of a challenge but modern sims handle it pretty well.

I think Rfactor 2 is a good example as it's pretty much as hardcore sim as it gets. I mean, it's pretty much only about being a sim and that's all it does. Yet, if you have well made cars (quite the variation there) you can drive them easily and FFB communicates well what's going on. The challenge is driving fast and if you make stupid mistakes you will get punished. Like, you will have to think about how you shift the weight around, how you load the suspension, being smooth with the inputs, don't think high curbs are just an extension of the road and so on and so forth. 

Richard Burns Rally often gets mentioned and it's a common misunderstanding that it's difficult to drive. The cars are actually very easy to drive, as they should. With the NGP mod there are cars, like Group B, that are more than a handful, as they should. What's difficult is thinking you can drive like Richard Burns. Another aspect, adding to that, are the stages. 

There's sort of a narrower windows for the driver inputs, as compared to other titles like DR2. You have to be on point. Getting it sort of right is not enough. It means for example that you need better car control in order to slide it around without parking in a tree. You also have to do that on stages that sometimes are very narrow, bumpy and punishing.

I'd say that's how it should be. With the caveat that I've mostly played with the NGP mod and not the vanilla game in a long while. You can also see that when comparing real footage with the game. RBR is the best match for the real thing I've seen, especially for the driver inputs. 

Dirt Rally 2.0 makes it very easy to rotate the cars and slide around. Sure, they're supposed to be easy to slide around but it's almost like all you have to do is turn the wheel and push the throttle - even i fwd cars. Feels to me that this is due to the center pivot - the cars really like to turn and slide. Then the weight shifting, throttle and brake only need to be sort of right. That sort of "window" where you get the car to really perform and you control it sliding through twists and turns is much wider. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Social Media & Community Team
On 11/26/2020 at 9:22 PM, Gregow said:

I mean, the whole point is to simulate the real experience

I thought the whole point of a videogame was to have fun 😉 

Some people are more comfortable with pad, keyboard or other unconventional setups and just want to drive the way the like and enjoy the experience.

That's not to say that having as authentic a rig as possible isn't fun, it certainly is, but how others enjoy games shouldn't impact how you enjoy them. 🙂 

DiRT Rally has always been challenging and I imagine future titles will continue to be so, though that won't limit what peripherals people can use. It's possible for a game to be difficult and accessible at the same time 😉 

• Like 2

I think this is a good reference vid for developers working on the DR3 damage model https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/k8ztmw/surprisingly_i_was_able_to_shave_off_a_second/ that car should be smashed at the front left (suspension, cooling package etc) and be unable to continue. There are dozens of similar collisions where the car just barrel rolls instead of getting it's suspension and body trashed.

Then again there are a few spots occasionally on relatively smooth roads that have random collisions as if you drove into a hinckelstein , those are some kinds of bugs.

• Like 1

Well for me I think the career mode needs to be harder and longer, its not to hard to jump straight through the ranks and have a top end car in no time. Need to bring in entry level rallys such as a 1 day event in a junior category as most national event do. Being able to modify road cars into rally cars,  eg building a evo 8 from road car to rally spec but It taken time to complete. Be nice to have a calendar with events so you can choose to compete in a certain championship or do one of events as test days for an upcoming championship. Rewards should be lower also need to make it hard to get the top cars in career with money. Having different tyre manufacturers to choose from and pay for tyres or try get a sponsor deal .pay to enter events . Unexpected parts failure and changing weather conditions too like dirt 4. Have stages that can be cancelled or blocked by crashed cars.  Be able to catch cars in stages or be caught if to slow/fast. Car category shouldn't be by year should be changed to power , drivetrain and modifications made to it. More interaction. Tyre wear needs to be improved and cold tyres at the start of stages too,  also stage degradation should be more simulated eg more gravel and roots on the stage that effect grip. More varierty of cars .Eg 106.l,civic,twincam, evo 8, sunbeam, mk2 2.5 Millington engine, darrian t90 and some more nationally used wrc cars like the fiesta,  imprezza s12b , mini Cooper, ds3 etc. New locations that haven't been used previously,  like ireland (yes I'm biased), belgium , France, azores, Hungary etc. Be great to see Toyota and hyundai back too but not sure if that's possible with wrc game rights. Yea so more of a national event feel to the game then progress to international level.but saying that codemasters are dominating the motorsport market at the minute.

• Agree 1

On 12/7/2020 at 4:17 PM, PJTierney said:

I thought the whole point of a videogame was to have fun 😉 

Some people are more comfortable with pad, keyboard or other unconventional setups and just want to drive the way the like and enjoy the experience.

That's not to say that having as authentic a rig as possible isn't fun, it certainly is, but how others enjoy games shouldn't impact how you enjoy them. 🙂 

DiRT Rally has always been challenging and I imagine future titles will continue to be so, though that won't limit what peripherals people can use. It's possible for a game to be difficult and accessible at the same time 😉 

Well sure, the vehicle (pun intended) of fun in a sim title is primarily the quality of the simulation. It's the idea of getting into the car and "actually" going McRae on a good stage that makes it fun. Then of course you have other aspects like competition, but surely that's secondary as you could compete in any old game.

And so, that's why I don't see the point of playing with a keyboard or controller. It's so... disconnected, and it's not like DR offers much in terms of career mode, story or other gameplay mechanics. All it's got is pretty much down to the driving experience, and you don't experience much of it through a keyboard. 

Now, obviously there are some who still see a point and if they're having fun then that's great. I'm just saying I don't get it. Thankfully I think it's possible to make the game drive well on both controllers and wheels without making compromises to the realism of the game. With keyboards I'm not so sure though.

I surely hope you're right that future titles with continue to be challenging. And I hope future titles will go further in the direction of realism, developing that as far as possible. Perhaps with the boom in sim racing even the suits could be convinced it's a good direction to take. Otherwise things often go in the opposite direction, where they get watered down.

16 hours ago, Gregow said:

I surely hope you're right that future titles with continue to be challenging. And I hope future titles will go further in the direction of realism, developing that as far as possible. Perhaps with the boom in sim racing even the suits could be convinced it's a good direction to take. Otherwise things often go in the opposite direction, where they get watered down.

Given that there are now two DIRT studios and one is going very much in the opposite direction, I think there's a bright future ahead when it comes to Rally 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 8:45 AM, ToMythTo said:

I think going in the opposite direction will not work that much, number don’t lie 😄

D30A529B-7953-4C54-8375-933CFD5557B9.webp

I guess that's promising. I don't mean to hate on Dirt just because it isn't my cup of tea but it's good to see more serious sims making financial sense. Seems like it could be the way the market is headed as well, which is great for everyone who loves sims.

2 hours ago, ZipZapKaZoom said:

Driving on ice in Monte Carlo is unrealistic. 

In real life, spinning your tires on ice brings your car to a smoking standstill, you need to slow down and get grip and focus on momentum. 

In the sim, the faster you spin, the faster you go. 

Not to say that Monte Carlo is realistic but it's an old myth that you shouldn't spin your tires on ice. That's in fact exactly what you should do, especially with AWD or RWD (FWD is trickier as you understeer a lot). Sure, you need momentum as well but if you don't spin the wheels you're not going to generate much force to push the car anywhere. 

I used to work at an airport many years ago. We were driving trucks, lorries and different machinery with trailers and heavily loaded wagons every day. In winter you always got stuck. Not like once in a while, but all the time every day. The old wisdom of feathering the throttle just doesn't work, at all. What you do is you floor it and when you get a little movement going you let up, so you rock back and forth - getting a little momentum going - while digging the wheels down until you find enough grip. 

Having driven on frozen lakes and many winters with a RWD car you pretty much find a sweet spot where you get the most speed, going comfortably sideways. 

Though I suppose patches of black ice on tarmac, like some places in Monte Carlo, would be more like "keep it steady and pray". 

5 hours ago, Gregow said:

Not to say that Monte Carlo is realistic but it's an old myth that you shouldn't spin your tires on ice. That's in fact exactly what you should do, especially with AWD or RWD (FWD is trickier as you understeer a lot). Sure, you need momentum as well but if you don't spin the wheels you're not going to generate much force to push the car anywhere. 

I used to work at an airport many years ago. We were driving trucks, lorries and different machinery with trailers and heavily loaded wagons every day. In winter you always got stuck. Not like once in a while, but all the time every day. The old wisdom of feathering the throttle just doesn't work, at all. What you do is you floor it and when you get a little movement going you let up, so you rock back and forth - getting a little momentum going - while digging the wheels down until you find enough grip. 

Having driven on frozen lakes and many winters with a RWD car you pretty much find a sweet spot where you get the most speed, going comfortably sideways. 

Though I suppose patches of black ice on tarmac, like some places in Monte Carlo, would be more like "keep it steady and pray". 

The science for this is pretty clear for a uniform ice surface under rubber tyres.  And that is that you get very slightly more friction if you don't completely spin the tyres on ice but stay close to the optimal slip ratio.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Friction-coefficient-versus-wheel-slip-curves-for-various-surfaces-with-exaggerated_fig1_267941440

another reference under braking (similar to rally cars accelerating)  https://gyazo.com/e9af34c279668f4f7dca113b9e480104

However in reality several factors come into play, in most situations in the following order:

1. The surface will likely not be perfectly smooth hard ice.

2. The surface will likely not be uniform and icy under every wheel.

3. With a partially locked differential (s) the above 2 are bigger factors.

While driving a regular road car with an open diff, onto a small patch of ice you will be best served not to completely floor it, especially FWD, the story changes with partially locking diffs and varying road surfaces under each wheel.

What is true however; is that the ice in Monte is not slippery enough by a long shot, I think I've mentioned this in the past and it should be corrected/improved if it should be realistic.

Edit: If you look at all the slip ratio studies and charts, it is clear that the only place where significant slip ratio is helpful is on very loose surfaces like gravel or loose snow.  Otherwise you always lose grip if you exceed your optimal ratio.  So the initial post was basically correct, especially for older historics with open diffs, and 2wd if the wheels are on pure ice.

Edited by bn880
Gravel notes
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

* After crossing the finish line, it would be great if player stays in full control.  If player does something unreasonable, runs into stewards or does not stop - disqualify him/her, but it would be great if there's no AI control/"guiding hand" ever.  EDIT: F2C corrected me - this works exactly as I want it to  if "Time Control Braking" set to off.  Amazing stuff.

* Codriver shouldn't praise driver, especially after 2 roll overs.

* VR: allow mouse

* VR: allow moving UI closer/further and curving

Greaty enjoying DR2, pleasant surprise.  Huge thanks.

Edited by TheIronWolf

1 hour ago, TheIronWolf said:

* After crossing the finish line, it would be great if player stays in full control.  If player does something unreasonable, runs into stewards or does not stop - disqualify him/her, but it would be great if there's no AI control/"guiding hand" ever.

That's how it is in DR2.....

Except in time trial, because, hot lapping.  Though i much prefer the way it was done in DR for the time trial, allowed for some nice exterior shots - it's so rare you see the beautiful car exteriors during normal running unless you're running chase cam.  Any way i can see my car from the outside (as i would if i were really driving it) during the rally experience is a plus.  Hopefully that can be worked in without extending the time you're waiting (it's why i liked the end of the time trial in DR as it switched to a slow-mo external view while it displayed your time)

38 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

That's how it is in DR2.....

No it is not.  In freeplay, my own championship, once I cross the finish line car is braking on its own (AI takes over, not entirely but to some extent).  All assists are off, hardcore damage on.  I know how to stop and properly park the car myself. Maybe I am missing some setting?  Are you saying that's how game works after finish line in offline sessions only?

Edited by TheIronWolf

8 hours ago, TheIronWolf said:

No it is not.  In freeplay, my own championship, once I cross the finish line car is braking on its own (AI takes over, not entirely but to some extent).  All assists are off, hardcore damage on.  I know how to stop and properly park the car myself. Maybe I am missing some setting?  Are you saying that's how game works after finish line in offline sessions only?

It's an option in the menus.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 12:43 PM, caerphoto said:

Stats, stats, stats! (@Mike Dee, @Philigula)
All the numbers! How many miles we’ve driven (in each car, and in total); how many times we’ve rolled the car, most popular stage, most popular car, how many posts we’ve knocked over, how many spectators we’ve killed avoided at the last second. And so on. Related to this, per @michaelf, is UDP support on consoles. It’s already on PC, and allows for cool things like bass shakers, external dashboard displays, and @bn880’s RDA application, so having it on consoles would be great too.

I love time trials. My wish would be that all driven miles / km with all cars used would be counted. Even if I restart a run because I had an accident or was just too slow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We are now in the "sim age" with games always more realistic on all aspects. For the future, I would suggest a rally game that is more realistic than ever. 

So I guess the most important feature to have need to be related to physic engine and dynamic of the cars. Force feedback on different grounds is something that on rally games has been always too "simple" and games resulted too "arcade" oriented.

All other improvements are just details. I loved dirt rally 2.0 and only thinking to have a new one in the future with more realistic dynamics and physics of cars and with realistic force feedback it's just amazing. 

1 hour ago, Trenissimo77 said:

All other improvements are just details. I loved dirt rally 2.0 and only thinking to have a new one in the future with more realistic dynamics and physics of cars and with realistic force feedback it's just amazing. 

I was with you until you said this bit.  It's discounting the importance of gameplay and also thousands of players and that's not really kosher.  The fact is that it needs to be a sim but also needs a lot of feature improvements and fixes.  The first post in this topic has the list of features people have requested/suggested and if they ignore 99% of that and hit only physics, well, that's going to lead to very poor reception and client dis-satisfaction.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, bn880 said:

I was with you until you said this bit.  It's discounting the importance of gameplay and also thousands of players and that's not really kosher.  The fact is that it needs to be a sim but also needs a lot of feature improvements and fixes.  The first post in this topic has the list of features people have requested/suggested and if they ignore 99% of that and hit only physics, well, that's going to lead to very poor reception and client dis-satisfaction.

Yes probably you are right. The meaning of my message is that I noticed on dirt rally 2.0 very poor use of feedback even if I think to have a good hardware (fanatec DD1) and a physics that need to be improved.So let’s say that physics and force feedback feeling is the top priority (from my point of view) and all other suggestions and improvements are obviously welcome and appreciated. But I don’t know how many improvements codemaster can put on future release. The more the better.

49 minutes ago, Trenissimo77 said:

Yes probably you are right. The meaning of my message is that I noticed on dirt rally 2.0 very poor use of feedback even if I think to have a good hardware (fanatec DD1) and a physics that need to be improved.So let’s say that physics and force feedback feeling is the top priority (from my point of view) and all other suggestions and improvements are obviously welcome and appreciated. But I don’t know how many improvements codemaster can put on future release. The more the better.

Sure, I agree that the physics/handling/realism is top priority to me as well.  I think that quite honestly most dedicated DR2 players (and possibly most overall) want the next version to be as realistic as possible, with some options to back things off to their liking. (so for example ability to use a gearbox without a clutch, or use sequential in a car that had manual h box, or to be able to use low DOR, keyboard, etc etc etc)

I have no doubt that this time they have the ability to flesh out a lot of the features we had in DR2.0.  And definitely hope they listen to at least the majority of the points made in this thread and prioritize it somehow.

• Like 1

For me the biggest drawback of dirt rally 1.0 and 2.0 is the career and the custom championships offline.

For example starting the carreer with some R2 cars owned by the player or make a contract as paid driver then get contracts for a higher much faster categories! Make teams with overall points that could go up and down forwarding seasons! the AI drivers will switch teams and make contracts. Add historic categories that you can take part and need to have your owned team and bought car.

As for the custom championships offline: make it possible to make a fantasy one, for example i could make a championship with cars from different categories like having a EVO X N4 categorie, a subaru impreza from 2000' and a ford fiesta  from 2010 and pick teams and drivers from career or anything we want! Adding 4 player hot seat mode in custom championship (passing the controller to another person) is always a good thing!

Last thing i would love to see is: make it more simulation to other things except driving! Example: Flipped car can not respawn just like that! make it like a scene that crowd comes and flip it like in real life and get more time penalty both player and AI! Add more random problems and situations from the past from real life wrc seasons for both the player and the AI ! transmission failures, constructor car parts failure and such. Make the cars start the stage every 1 minute and actually see the cars on stage if you catch up or they catch up to you due to problems. Or make it so that you can watch the entire drivers line-up before you and after your time. Not bad simulations and impossible times!

Racenet clubs: Add more specifications on rules of the championships like past dirts limiting cars choice by horsepower and the ability to have AI in the championship.

Personal wish! adding more WRC cars from 90's and 2000's

those things could take time to become reallity on a game ..... but i am sure that the fans could wait for a better game that will sell good!
Thanks, a DiRT Rally Fan

Edited by Clockman

After getting an Oculus Quest 2 I have joined the "No VR, no buy"-gang. Considering pervious games have VR support I'd be surprised to see it dropped for future titles, but nonetheless I want to add it here. For me there's no way of going back to a flat panel, and I've entirely stopped playing driving games without VR (like WRC 9, which I think is an otherwise excellent title, up there with DR2). 

As for the VR-support itself though, VRSS would be a welcome addition and it would be nice if the interiors didn't glow.

1 hour ago, Gregow said:

and I've entirely stopped playing driving games without VR (like WRC 9, which I think is an otherwise excellent title, up there with DR2).

I think this is an interesting point for developers.  I have a similar story, not about VR, but I stopped playing WRC9 almost immediately because they don't offer a narrow enough (realistic) FOV, at least on a super ultrawide monitor.   Complete deal breaker to me, and they don't even have a support forum so, hear no evil see no evil for them.

Point is sometimes stuff that seems small, blocks certain people from using the product. (not that VR is that small 😄 )

Edited by bn880

On 1/8/2021 at 1:13 PM, Trenissimo77 said:

Handling and feeling are clearly the most important thing to get right, and DiRT Rally 2.0 almost nailed it; I am sure (because it's been discussed at length) the dev team is aiming to get that 100% spot-on in future projects.

That being said, you can have the best physics in the world but if there's nothing to do in a game then it's all for naught; GRID (2019) had this problem as the driving was great but activities were lacking.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:06 PM, bn880 said:

I have no doubt that this time they have the ability to flesh out a lot of the features we had in DR2.0.  And definitely hope they listen to at least the majority of the points made in this thread and prioritize it somehow.

People know this thread exists, have done for a while 😉 

That doesn't mean that every single post = thing that comes in a future game, but if there are trends or minor tweaks that line up with what the game designers have planned for a future title, then lots of people are going to be happy 🙂 

• Like 2

Exactly, you still need to have stuff to DO , and that's the Game aspect that needs to exist and be fleshed out to make even the best simulation fun to use.

On the features:  Hopefully yeah;  there are a lot of very common requests in here (like tyre deg and management just as a small example) , and a few really good contributions on what is missing or can be improved on the physics side. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, bn880 said:

I think this is an interesting point for developers.  I have a similar story, not about VR, but I stopped playing WRC9 almost immediately because they don't offer a narrow enough (realistic) FOV, at least on a super ultrawide monitor.   Complete deal breaker to me, and they don't even have a support forum so, hear no evil see no evil for them.

Point is sometimes stuff that seems small, blocks certain people from using the product. (not that VR is that small 😄 )

It's a shame really. The game is really good but stuff like that can completely break it. When researching VR compatibility I also saw a post from one of the devs (on Reddit, I think) pretty much shrugging it off. So, I don't have any hopes for the next installment unfortunately. I'm guessing they're aiming at the console market primarily.

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Handling and feeling are clearly the most important thing to get right, and DiRT Rally 2.0 almost nailed it; I am sure (because it's been discussed at length) the dev team is aiming to get that 100% spot-on in future projects.

That being said, you can have the best physics in the world but if there's nothing to do in a game then it's all for naught; GRID (2019) had this problem as the driving was great but activities were lacking.

Contrarian as I am I think there's a lot of work that needs to be done with the physics. However, I also think the most important thing is that the devs have the ambition to go in (what I think is) the right direction. DR2 made good improvements on it's predecessor so I hope they keep going down the path towards more realism.

Isn't driving something to do? I mean, rally is essentially going from point A to point B, seeing who does it in the shortest amount of time. The rest is sort of fluff.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see a more engaging career mode and the challenges can be a bit of fun, but fundamentally it's just about driving like a loon taking the more scenic route. 

5 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Many players need more motivation than simply "here is a car, go drive" 😉 

Maybe they don't actually like driving, or they would like it more if the physics were better? 😉

As long as it's not at the expense of realism I don't mind fleshing out other game modes. I hope, however, that you don't do an SMS. They downgraded their game and tried to make it more "fun", I suppose because racing wasn't fun to them, and it turned out to be an utter failure. I would hate to see the same thing happen to DR.

16 minutes ago, Gregow said:

Maybe they don't actually like driving, or they would like it more if the physics were better? 😉

Disagree, you're not grasping the market and people.  I love driving and handling, realism to the max including damage, broken steering, suspension bits, leaking coolant etc.  But the game would be pretty ***** if it only had sandbox mode and a timer.  The sim part is a foundation for the game, the actual game becomes the campaign, online components incl TT, customizations, achievements etc  etc.   You're looking at this from a very limited user perspective.

• Agree 3

yes true @bn880 , i want real damage car model, hardcore mode on Dr 2.0 is bad , and how is possible to drive with very hard setup and you drive easily on off-road part ( finland australia ....) same for the brake when player drive only front brake but he have never problem with brake. exemple on PCars 2 if you drive with only front brake your car have problem ( hot brake you have bad effect on braking ...)  , if you drive with very hard setup on bumpy road you have very bad effect when you driving , if  you push your motor in max, the motor have problem ....  

personally i want really damage for DR3 

for info i drive in brutal  mode on PCars 2 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, gk9147 said:

yes true @bn880 , i want real damage car model, hardcore mode on Dr 2.0 is bad , and how is possible to drive with very hard setup and you drive easily on off-road part ( finland australia ....) same for the brake when player drive only front brake but he have never problem with brake. exemple on PCars 2 if you drive with only front brake your car have problem ( hot brake you have bad effect on braking ...)  , if you drive with very hard setup on bumpy road you have very bad effect when you driving , if  you push your motor in max, the motor have problem ....  

personally i want really damage for DR3 

for info i drive in brutal  mode on PCars 2 😉

More less yes I agree.  I think DR2 has a few of these things with hard/low suspension, but it's not extremely apparent, it just degrades the suspension faster I believe.  Meanwhile a lot of the huge jumps should do serious damage to the classic cars on landing IMHO.

Definitely no problems with overheating brakes in DR, no issues with abusing/over revving the engine, etc as you mention.  I do hope these things are improved. (and please give us engine coolant temperature readouts 😛 )

Edited by bn880
  • Like 2

I've only been playing Rallycross whilst I learn each circuit to whatever my limit is at that time.  Some things that I'd like to see adjusted or explored.  No doubt everything I say will have been mentioned numerous times and I haven't explored online much.  I had a quick look but only saw handful online on xbox which I get is the smaller platform.

Rally 'School'
Some actual schooling/tips/something to make this feature more than just me doing the same things over and over with no idea of what I'm doing wrong.  Even if it's just the ability to add a P2 in their own car that I can watch from their view or by following in my car.
Multiplayer 'freeroam' on circuits in a similar mode for learning.

An extra level above very hard AI and an option to adjust aggression especially at the 1st turn.

Replays -
A little more control on cameras.  Such as when selecting broadcast cameras and it keeps switching to the A pillar looking towards the rear.  Can't see the point in these at all really.  I'm just learning Barcelona and trying to see what I do going into the gravel and right turn but it kept switching to that camera 3/4 times if not every time.  Then it'll switch to the other side so I can't see how I can improve at the jump.  Being able to orbit around the car would also help I think.  Plus it would help creators with screenshots.  Annoying when you've had a great race with some nice overtakes and watch the replay but can't see any of them unless in cockpit/chase cam which doesn't give much in terms of a change in perspective.
Why no heli cam in RX?  Would be great to see an overhead view of lines taken and distance gained/lost.  How far from obstacles/apexes

Time Trial -
Allow sessions with option to turn off all damage with no time/lap limit and no 3 sec wrong way disqualification but which doesn't record times.  Or just turning off punctures would help.

Is the game mode restricted by license?  ie like ACC, F1?  Just thinking, like others, I like the physics, I like that it's hard but I wonder if there could be more options for customising races or having extra tracks for national series and some form of improved career path.  Even if it's just for the new consoles/PC.  

Edited by MauriceMiller

More in depth career mode : start from the bottom and try and make it to the top but don't make it easy to buy new cars,eg. Pay for fuel/tyres/entry fee/sponsors ,loose sponsors too if not good enough.

Tyre wear: need to improve how they wear and the effect of cold and over heated tyres.

Damage model: more realistic damage and more wear to parts and unexpected parts failure. 

New events: need some more new events ,be happy to loose a few of the current ones for new ones . Tighter stages and open stages, like wrc were you might start open road but then go to tight sections or vice versa . Be nice to have some more country's brought into the game especially tarmac rallys.

Clubs: need to have all classes as an option rather than just one,its always fun beating a wrc car in a mk2 lol.

Bonus : drive from parc ferme to stages or from stage to stage. Be invited to drive as 00 on some stages.  Choose from different championships like gravel/tar or what class you want to compete in depending on engine size and drivetrain( wont apply to wrc and r5s) more cars in stages,  more debris pulled out on the road depending on running order and it make a difference to grip levels.  Worse weather conditions.  Actually have to que behind cars at stages. Just more realism so you feel involved.

Hey Everyone,

I havent read the whole thread, so its possibly nothing new. But the things I would like are :

An option to select someone on the online leader board as your “Challenger”.

Like 30 position ahead of you to have your times compared to him as popups during the stage. The current feature to compare your self to the fastest guy in game is rather pointless for the majority of the players since they will never see a green sector.

More tracs per country / more country’s from the beginning.

I stopped playing the single player championship because there are at one point 12 stages per country or something like that. And since there are just two tracks per country. Driving every corner so often makes it feel like driving on a track and not driving a rally. So either another track per country, or reduced the maximum number of stages per country and add more countries.

More explanation regarding tire degradation.

To be honest I haven’t found out if there is a deeper model in tire degradation than you drive x amount of Km, your tires have degraded this much. Or if the driving style/ setup are accounted for. If so, I would like a more detailed info during the tire changes to see which tire was degraded how much.

More Setup slots for each car

Steam workshop support to share car setups and maybe some liveries as well

Thanks for reading

Edited by Hallododa
  • Agree 1

Bonjour, à mon tour d'appuyer les dires ci-dessus. Il y a une forte demande de la communauté simraceur concernant le rallye, malheureusement à aujourd'hui les jeux sont accès plutôt sur le mode arcade.

Dirt rallye 2.0 est une bonne alternative mais pas suffisamment aboutie à mes yeux. 

Nous aimerions une simulation de rallye digne de ce nom, comparable aux simulations sur circuit (I-racing, Rfactor, ACC etc), avec une vraie gestion stratégique de course (météo, gestion des pneus, réglages, dégradation etc....). En gros un Richard Burns rallye version années 2020. 

Il faudrait penser un jeu exploitable i-sport et intégrer un mode spectateur pour des retransmissions en direct sur les chaines dédiées, où le spectateur pourrait zapper sur les différentes voitures en course sur la camera de son choix en live commenté type asseto corsa compétizionne, il y a largement de quoi s'inspirer.

Je ne doute pas qu'un tel projet soit ambitieux, mais c'est ce qu'il manque aujourd'hui en simracing, ce serait une vitrine magnifique pour votre firme, l'occasion pour codemasters de montrer ce qu'il sait faire aujourd'hui,  pour les joueurs d'assouvir leur passion et d'attirer encore plus de monde dans une communauté déjà très populaire.

Je ne pense pas qu'un énième jeu d'arcade, lisse et commercial type dirt, WRC, sébastien loeb apporterait quoi que ce soit et puisse séduire d'une quelconque façon notre communauté, je croise les doigts pour que vous nous entendiez.

D'avance merci.  

Fab_lieb   

Edited by secteur18
  • Agree 2

I haven't read all this but I have had a txt file of changes I would like to see. I have about 800 hours in DR1/DR2. Not the most I'm sure but a decent amount. Here is random stuff I have compiled.

General features and changes
Fix Racenet stability. If the game launches like DR2 and I cannot login well that's an issue.

Offline single player campaign, unable to do basic single player campaign because Racenet is down is ridiculous. At least there is the second tab that has a few things I can mess around with but I have already finished all the historics/FIA/McRae DLC.

New/updated locations. Goes without saying I think we all want new locations or updated stages for existing locations. I watched 5 hours of the 2021 WRC Monte Carlo event over the weekend it would be cool to have some of those full stages. I know there is already a giant separate thread on stages they should add 

Add some longer stages like real rally stages. I like the stages in this game but it would be cool to have some of the real life longer stages. Also on the topic of stages I prefer them all to be real stages I do not want some kind of random generator thing like Dirt 4. 

QA the pace notes. Spend more time to get the pace notes correct on all stages.

Option to save replays. Then view replay in either pancake mode or VR mode.

Keep all existing cars but add a few new ones (honestly I don't mind driving the same cars if I have new places and a larger variety of stages)

View full car when choosing livery not some tiny thumbnail.

Small objects like a tiny flag or a small bush should not damage my car or slow it down

Other objects and things should destroy/damage my car. Hardcore damage is cool but make it a bit more realistic it is still very forgiving.

More realism/options in general, sequential + clutch, better physics, tire models, more tire choices, etc

Further refine the physics, DR2 is pretty good but it could be better in areas. 

Bigger Dirt Fish type area and allow up to like 4 players in one area together. I love this area for training and it would be fun to be able to help train my friends.

Add option for modding like AC has. Probably never happen but this only helps the game in my opinion.

Add option to share tunes. I have some ideas of things to change based on how the car feels but sometimes I just want to let a professional handle it. I can go to youtube and look it up but just have a system in game to download other tunes. Even add the option to rate them higher or not so good ones go to top. Can make incentives like money reward if your tune is used a lot.

Add photo mode.

Time trial show percentile. I finished 200th, cool. 200th out of what it is meaningless. I have to roughly gauge where I am using the bar in the side. Just show my exact percentile or say 200 out of 1000. Same for daily/weekly/monthly show 200th out of 1000 or whatever the current standings.

Just add more options in general. I play a lot of Assetto Corsa as well and I love all the options in content manager. Give us more graphics settings, more FFB settings, more realism settings.

VR specific changes/fixes, I race only in VR, cockpit, no assists, no HUD, so some of this stuff might not apply to everyone.
First and foremost please add VR support from the start.

Option to rename tuning setups in VR, why was this not patched in DR2 I don't know but it's annoying.

View replays in actual VR (not looking at flat screen actual VR replay, Assetto Corsa already has this)

View full car rendered in VR when choosing livery, probably not possible in a multiplayer game where you have to select in 30 seconds but at least allow this when viewing our car in the garage. Pancake players also probably want to be able to see their car better in garage as well I would imagine, something akin to the showroom in AC.

Render the scene where your car pulls up to the start line in VR, I know this is possible because I had it happen once as a bug in DR2 and it was very cool. Similarly render finish line cutscene in VR.

Allow option to render entire car in VR that I can turn on or off as I want. I know this will impact performance so make it an option. Sometimes in VR I want to get out of my car and have a walk around it. (Assetto Corsa already allows this)

Better VR graphics. I get a lot of brush and tree pop in which breaks immersion. Also track surface could look better.

Better weather/effects/lighting. No idea where to start with this so many things. Make it so my side windows are not just a blurry smudge when it rains that would be a start. Just make lighting in general better look at AC with mods for example. At night in Dirt Rally sometimes I cannot see more than 5 feet in front of me. 

Do not add pay to win or microtransactions. Do not turn Dirt Rally 3 into unrealistic arcade game, keep it a pure rally simulator.

Probably more stuff but this is already a wall of text.

Edited by Ion1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Individual split practice
  • Bring back Community Delta
  • More demanding Hardcore Damage mode
  • Manual car recovery without waiting
  • View championship details from within an event
  • Custom pace notes
  • Custom audio for pace notes
  • More stages from other Dirt games
  • Ability to mark cars as favorites
Edited by sgt
  • Like 1

• Clutch enable option for preventing the engine stall is a must for Dirt Rally 3.0. I would really like to use the clutch on hairpins like in reality.

• Also what I wish to see in DR 3.0 is a more realistic sound of the engine when downshifting gears.I want to hear the engine screaming during the braking zone like the Hyundai i20 in WRC.

• And a last thing: At least a career mode like WRC 9 with teams,contracts,targets to achieve and upgrades for the car.Even better an upgrade pack for the car like F1 series career mode would be great!!
Edited by AlexZach

Bonjour, entièrement d'accord avec tout les suggestions du dessus il faudrait aussi enlever la vue extérieure c'est un bon jeu de simulation ! Car pour les joueurs en vue extérieur ils sont bien plus avantagés déjà ils n'ont pas à subir la pluie sur le pare-brise qui est vraiment gênante comme dans des conditions réelles! Ce serait bien aussi de pouvoir personnaliser ses voitures

1 minute ago, laurent87 said:

Bonjour, entièrement d'accord avec tout les suggestions du dessus il faudrait aussi enlever la vue extérieure c'est un bon jeu de simulation ! Car pour les joueurs en vue extérieur ils sont bien plus avantagés déjà ils n'ont pas à subir la pluie sur le pare-brise qui est vraiment gênante comme dans des conditions réelles! Tous sont nombreux à vouloir un jeu de simulation qui jouent dans les conditions réelles des vrais rally et non pas un mode de voiture télécommandée lol

On 1/24/2021 at 5:06 PM, F2CMaDMaXX said:

You want the dirt series, not dirt rally.

Nah, only Rallying for me. I just want the cars to be a realistic size on the track in chase view. Roads are usually 2 cars wide, not 1. More room for sideways cornering. Would like to have a few shorter stages so I can learn the track inch by inch and perfect it like the good old Colin McRae Rally 2.0. 

45 minutes ago, Dribbleworks said:

Nah, only Rallying for me. I just want the cars to be a realistic size on the track in chase view. Roads are usually 2 cars wide, not 1. More room for sideways cornering. Would like to have a few shorter stages so I can learn the track inch by inch and perfect it like the good old Colin McRae Rally 2.0. 

You want the Dirt series.  

Your requests are not the reality of rally, rally stages are commonly lanes or trails, and rally isn't designed to be learned like a circuit (regardless of whether that happens i a game you can easily retry over and over)

You want the Dirt series.

• Agree 1