Where's Barry - Forum Unranked Lobbies

Also T

E: Eh what? I pressed ALT+SHIFT+S on another window and this happened? 😁

Edited by UP100

Seems like Barry won't be around this Friday... If there is enough interest, I can be the one to host the lobby this week as it'd still be nice to race with other forum members 🙂 

Also here is the link for the Group Chat Barry talked about earlier: https://s.team/chat/OdGIqsXZ

I'll be hosting a "Barry's not here" lobby from 15:00 (GMT) (/3PM) onwards, so feel free to join. You can join the Steam Chat with this link: https://s.team/chat/OdGIqsXZ

Look for lobby which is hosted by UP100 🙂 

Heading off. Thanks all who raced with us!

Info about next week will be shared a bit later on 🙂

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

I'll try to be online tomorrow at 15:00 (GMT) once again 🙂 

https://s.team/chat/OdGIqsXZ for the link to the Steam Chat

Can we try a Discord server? I can create one if you've not used it before and make you admins?

7 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Can we try a Discord server? I can create one if you've not used it before and make you admins?

I dont have a permission to run a Discord server, and I kind of also think that it's easier if everything is kept in the same place for now at least.

We'll probably have a small talk about it when Barry gets back, so maybe it'll happen in the future... Though I can't promise anything 🙂

9 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

What’s the benefit of a discord server? Chats?

It's a little more sophisticated than just Steam chat and it is the de facto comms in a lot of leagues.

Chat channels are of course possible as well as voice. There are bot functions, music, etc.

Thanks for another fun one! For once I decently although I had no clue where the braking zones were so I crashed out my competition 😁

Today was not fun at all. Good part was there were a lot of contenders but that's the downside of it too. Going public is a risk and that turned out to be true today. Killjoy was among us and four out of five races I got thrashed. Besides that I struggled tremendously with grip and setups and finally deiced just to go for the standard which turned out to be the best choice in the end. But being hit at the start ruines your race as there isn't a slight chance of getting back in the pack in a five lap race. So, lets do better next week.

13 minutes ago, 1512marcel said:

Besides that I struggled tremendously with grip and setups and finally deiced just to go for the standard which turned out to be the best choice in the end.

This seemed to be a problem for me as well. Though I may have encountered this issue. I can't say for certain at this stage.

Depending on how many of you guys use the Steam Chat link (now in my signature as well!) to join our chat, we may be able to hold a private race if that's something people would be interested in 🙂 

I would prefer a private race. A full grid is nice but if there one or two who’s only aim is to kill as many as possible the fun for me is over. If only there was a solid system to prevent this....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/28/2020 at 8:55 PM, 1512marcel said:

I would prefer a private race. A full grid is nice but if there one or two who’s only aim is to kill as many as possible the fun for me is over. If only there was a solid system to prevent this....

Damage and longer races usually make people more sensible. 
Or at least the people that are made of dirt crash out, won't wait 20 minutes, and you'll never see them again. 

Playing no damage is basically saying collisions are allowed. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Bicarda said:

Or at least the people that are made of dirt crash out, won't wait 20 minutes, and you'll never see them again. 

You got that spot on! The perfect recipe for destruction (virtual) is a 5 lap no damage all assists allowed lobby. The longer the race the more bored idiots will get, or they won't even join in the first place. Full damage might out them off even entering as they get one chance to wreck and maybe it's race over for them too. If it takes regular forum races to bring this fact back to the planning table before the next game comes out all the better. All the good will in the world stands no chance against permawreckers. Even if the racing in the game was perfect a session would still be ruined this way. Of course private lobbies 'solve' this issue but you lose the excitement of random competition then also, that someone with godlike skills might drop in and raise the bar.

3 hours ago, Bicarda said:

I don't think damage really has a huge part in it. Most if not all of our drivers acted clean around me, but mistakes tend to happen (I smashed into the back of a car twice as I had no clue when I had to brake, meaning that someone now probably thinks I'm a dirty cheater and wrecker)

What damage tends to do is frustrate the driver that crashed even more, as they'll lose even more time due to having to pit etc.

Longer races are something I've considered, but that'd require more people on the Steam Chat 😉 

Posted (edited)

Here's my PoV of the lobby in full poorness. Send this to the devs. Comments on YT show the relevant game-breaking rubbish we endure in MP regularly.

I used Handbrake for re-encoding as an experiment. Be interesting to see if the EasyMovieMaker app does a better / worse job. There are a few glitches and the sound breaks up which is not normal for me.

EMM version

Edited by steviejay69

Posted (edited)

I too would prefer a private race as every time I race with some of you it was really fun with yall!

I'd also like to add this:
In the fighting-game genre it is common to check the players network connection before letting him play online (ranked) matches. My suggestion is to implement some sort of filter option for the host to determine a minimum connection quality requirement, so that people who are using potato network can't join (and potentially ruin) your game.

Speaking of that, dedicated servers would be a nice thing too you know 😉

Edited by LSKone

3 hours ago, LSKone said:

I too would prefer a private race as every time I race with some of you it was really fun with yall!

I'd also like to add this:
In the fighting-game genre it is common to check the players network connection before letting him play online (ranked) matches. My suggestion is to implement some sort of filter option for the host to determine a minimum connection quality requirement, so that people who are using potato network can't join (and potentially ruin) your game.

Speaking of that, dedicated servers would be a nice thing too you know 😉

The game lets people join a session too quickly in matchmaking / hopper before the network connectivity has been established (speed and NAT level). It needs some brakes putting on it. I for one would prefer to wait a little longer before being matched to a session and be warned that the potential for a poor experience lies ahead if connecting. 

Combine this with the host being able to set the initial ping requirements i.e. rejecting those over 100ms ping and identifying those with jitter.