Jump to content Jump to content

Power, upgraded vs non upgraded?

bogani

That's true, but somehow I suspect that the AI competitors in this game don't benefit or develop in the same way. If they did, and sometimes you were left behind by improvements to the competition then maybe, but I don't think that's how it's implemented here, it's intended to be more of a Forza/GT-esque grind.

To be honest, I thought the idea that RBR had with teams, managers and unique driver skills/personalities worked very well; it enabled me to create a very realistically tuned set of drivers to match real life championships. Could have done with some 1/2/3 car teams and a few more of them, but what was there worked really well.

I think the premise of the Career is that the AI use fully upgraded cars and it's your mission to develop your team and the car, your skills so that you can begin to win championships.

In my view though the cars in the Custom Events should either be with nominal or fully upgraded power as that's when the cars in the game are at their best.
On a sidenote, I'm still a little puzzled why we have a '84-spec Quattro Vs. '86-spec all other Group-B cars (maybe a bit '85-ish If we count the S4). That's quite a difference, and the only exception which prevents us from having an almost-complete, uniform starting grid from a single World Championship season.

I  never played previous DiRT titles, maybe it was just a question of re-using 3D models from the third one?
heres the difference in my pug between stock pug on sweet lamb and upgraded times.

stock last week my best time was 6:21. then slight upgrade 6:15

fully upgraded i can do it in 5:56 now. so quite a lot of difference. 
If you're using Upgrades you should really stick to "realistic" values.
A stock WRC Car does not produce 230 hp when you buy it as a privateer. Also engine development mainly focuses on torque increases, as peak power is more or less limited to around 315 (!) hp.
With cars like this i think they should more or less have that kind of performance from the start and focus on shedding weight (to improve weight balance with ballasts, as the teams need to obey the minimum weight of course) and suspension and downforce improvements giving better grip. It feels terrible to drive a WRC car that takes more than 5 seconds from 0 to 60.
I also don't really understand why the team decided to stick to the official, way too low Group B manufacturer power figures.
It's well documented these cars had much more power than 430-450. If you're improving those cars, which makes much more sense than doing so with regulation-limited modern day vehicles, those manufacturer values should really be the baseline.
The only vehicle i've come across that feels rather powerful from the start was the 205 T16 Evo 2, even though it was given an unrealistically low initial power figure.
A stock WRC Car does not produce 230 hp when you buy it as a privateer. Also engine development mainly focuses on torque increases, as peak power is more or less limited to around 315 (!) hp.

Really?.. and do you actually believe these 'official' figures?  

All the WRC manufacturers are guilty of this little decption. They quote a power figure near the maximum usable rpm & everyone assumes that this is the maximum power because the figures look like powerful road car numbers. What they carefully hide is the huge mid-range torque gives them more power at 3500 - 4000 rpm than they have at 5500 - 6000rpm, and well in excess of the notional 300HP FIA power limit.
  • 5 weeks later...
FlakHound said:
sfcpaulo said:
Why on earth can cars in a sim be 'upgraded'? Surely the car is the car? Maybe a works team has better parts than a privateer, but I'll never understand 'unlocking' something that gives you a few % extra power or similar.
Works WRC teams are constantlydeveloping and upgrading their cars often from event to event chasing every small gain possible if they have a sniff at the champoinship. Not much different from F1 except maybe the budget lol
Yeah but they're not picking up an extra 40hp out of nowhere because they drove further is what bugs people
True..

Archived