Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Formula 1 Doritos Spanish Grand Prix

It's Friday and still no thread? Well, not if the Jigmeister can help it.

Don't expect much though. That was a quote from Ron Dennis on McLaren's chances this weekend.

Anyway, we're about to kick off the European season in traditional manner at the Circuit de Barcelona - Catalunya in Spain. This is the Grand Prix where we usually enter a new phase in the season, with various teams bringing in major updates, the battle for the championship taking serious form (although if Hamilton carries on like this, there isn't going to be much of a battle to take form of) and of course, the first in a long line of European races.

Are there any stories worth noting coming into this GP? Well, McLaren just went blacker. Ferrari claims it has made massive steps. But when looking a little bit lower down the pack, the season really should've started now for Force India. The charismatic team were troubled with finances towards the start of this season and failed to collect significant mileage on their new car in testing. Their 2015 car was scheduled to make its debut in Barcelona, but that has been delayed for at least another week, so we're going to have to wait until Silverstone to see the new VJM. It's a shame really for a team that, on paper, has one of the most impressive line-ups on the grid in terms of potential.

The main story will be whether Ferrari will be able to reach for the silver arrow-shaped stars (just work with me here) or that Mercedes will remain dominant at the top without equals. Someone without an equal at the moment is the reigning, defending, undisputed Heavyweight Formula One Champion of the World, Lewis Hamilton. Having won all but one race this season, while starting from pole-position in all of them as well, Hamilton rules with an iron fist. Will he make it 4 out of 5 in Barcelona? Will McLaren break their duck and score their first points of the season? Will Rosberg find a way to deal with Hamilton's slowness by maybe going faster? Will Maldonado find the track in time to start from the wrong grid position anyway?

The answers to those questions will be revealed.........

Right now.

Yes. No. No. HAHAHAHAHA hell no.

I had to look thrice myself. I know the Spanish GP usually is boring, but come on.

Jiggy said:
The main story will be whether Ferrari will be able to reach for the silver arrow-shaped stars (just work with me here) or that Mercedes will remain dominant at the top without equals. Someone without an equal at the moment is the reigning, defending, undisputed Heavyweight Formula One Champion of the World, Lewis Hamilton. Having won all but one race this season, while starting from pole-position in all of them as well, Hamilton rules with an iron fist. Will he make it 4 out of 5 in Barcelona? Will McLaren break their duck and score their first points of the season? Will Rosberg find a way to deal with Hamilton's slowness by maybe going faster? Will Maldonado find the track in time to start from the wrong grid position anyway?
It may be late, but a Paul Heyman reference instantly makes this one of my favourite race threads ever. 

Motions?!

Well I have honestly completely put F1 aside today, I have no idea who was fastest in practice or what today, just been on the go all week! I'll have a look now and watch some highlights or something.

I like the thread title by the way, very funny

Looks like McLaren's new go faster stripes are working!
Not by much, finished about a second off top ten :( Ahead of Force India and Sauber so a little bit of progress. If they can be reliable in the race I think they could challenge for points. They are atleast going in the right direction.

Ah fair enough. Still a bit of improvement though at least, ahead of Sauber and Force India at least in quali. I'm not even gonna count Marussia.

Ah fair enough. Still a bit of improvement though at least, ahead of Sauber and Force India at least in quali. I'm not even gonna count Marussia.
Did you know this new paint job is 2KG lighter than the chrome? :joy: 

Both Toro Rossos ahead of Raikkonen? Really? And Massa 9th as well? What the hell? :D

This might come back to bite me, but I still think Hamilton will win tomorrow. Can't say what @RevolvingPrawn and I said while playing GTA the other night, but we might eat our words slightly if Nico wins :joy: Mind you 1 win wouldn't really change my view on him.

Yeah I think Lewis will still win. But it's amazing to see that from 11th to 20th they're all in two by two, with Lotus, McLaren, Sauber, Force India and Manor. There's a clear order this weekend it seems.

Hughesy said:
Did you know this new paint job is 2KG lighter than the chrome? :joy: 
yeah they mentioned that in commentary all they need is a reliable fast engine from Honda and they'll be good to go :p

Alonso was only 4kph down on Rosberg through the speed traps, yet he was 2.6 seconds down on him in overall time. I know the speed trap is only a reflection of speed in a split second of time at one specific point on the circuit, but they're not figures of a car that will "change Formula 1". 

Think the top-10 looks set in terms of pace, unless the Renault-engines starts to fail again.

Within the first second I could see Rosberg and Vettel got great starts.

Alonso did well there not to hit anyone just then :# I didn't see the front guy move he was that quick, thought he ended up under the car.

Alonso looked like he might have had a decent race, might have had a sniff of the points. But still awful from Mclaren.

Rosberg is the man today... at last! 

Had Mercedes not had a problem at Hamilton's first stop which got him stuck behind Vettel again, I don't think Rosberg would have been the man :p He's a lucky boy lol.