Sign in to follow this  

Devs, why is there no wheel spin in Dirt Rally?

This has been bugging me since release so I figured I would bring it to the devs attention.  With Traction Control turned off the game still doesn't model wheelspin properly.  This is especially noticeable when applying WOT at the starting launch or applying WOT when mid drift through a corner.  The drive tires never break traction at WOT and allow the engine RPM's to raise freely.   It's most noticeable on the RWD vehicles.  The cars slide sideways beautifully and that portion of the physics seems to be modeled well but traction loss due to overpowering the throttle is not currently possible.  I'm not sure if this is a "too much grip issue" or just not programmed properly into the physics engine.

Here is an example of what SHOULD happen at WOT during corning in Dirt Rally. RPM's rise during traction loss and then drop once traction is regained.  Please watch between 1:25 - 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=117&v=H88hZz6h_Vs

It is a known topic. Please look at
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6029/does-the-game-have-too-much-grip/p1

SamRWD said:
It is a known topic. Please look at
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6029/does-the-game-have-too-much-grip/p1

Well I'm not exactly 100% sure.  I believe the physics are working realistically and properly when sliding/drifting the vehicles but there is still traction control being applied.  I believe the devs just forgot to turn the Traction Control completely off when it is set off in-game.

It is not traction controll. Sliding inside of the corner is okish, but braking and accelerating is not. Not gonna discuss the same stuff over and over. If You believe it is some kind of assist, then OK.

Well there is definitely a problem with the physics then.  Excuse me for not reading your thread first.  The more threads the devs see pop up concerning the matter then the more chances of it being corrected.  I voted in your thread so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Well there is definitely a problem with the physics then.  Excuse me for not reading your thread first.  The more threads the devs see pop up concerning the matter then the more chances of it being corrected.  I voted in your thread so let's keep our fingers crossed.

The more threads the mods see pop up about the same thing, the more they have to go through and move/lock/delete. The best way to show you want a change is through the suggestion box and getting a bunch of votes to change things. They'll be paying attention to whats getting a ton of votes and (hopefully) make that a priority.

FlakHound said:

The more threads the mods see pop up about the same thing, the more they have to go through and move/lock/delete. The best way to show you want a change is through the suggestion box and getting a bunch of votes to change things. They'll be paying attention to whats getting a ton of votes and (hopefully) make that a priority.
I've been more than patient and I've been approaching everyone on this board with as much respect as I do on other boards. Everything changed the moment I realised I am the only side in discussion that was using that principle. As soon as people started to suggest I need to turn assists off , or that I am wrong, because I lack a driving technique without seeing a single onboard of my etc. I started to use the same language. This is the only post I've come rude and I apologised in my very next post. Please look back further, You might notice  how my approach has changed. I am not going to be the only polite person in discussion. Also I cannot keep researching in order to prove something obvious since I've been doing so and no one seemed to care. I am not violating forum rules (well, this post might be flagged as OT), and if I do, then other do even more.

I agree with @SamRWD that the Scooby has too much grip, not much mind.  I haven't tried the looser tyre though.

SkiddyMcCrash Please try that low grip tyre. It really changes a lot when sliding a car. I am curious what Your impressions would be.

@FlakHound why are you all over any thread where people make critical comments about this game ? Mind your own business and let people give feedback, good or bad, as they were invited to do. Where they post or how they want to post is their choice, not yours !

@FlakHound why are you all over any thread where people make critical comments about this game ? Mind your own business and let people give feedback, good or bad, as they were invited to do. Where they post or how they want to post is their choice, not yours !
I don't mind critical comments about the game. I would love for it to improve from player feedback. What bugs me is seeing a ton of the same threads over and over, in the wrong places, and people putting it in the wrong place and making low effort posts. By making more than one thread about the same thing, the discussion gets split and you don't have all the same information available without having to read through both. What and where is actually guided by community guidelines not wherever people feel.

SamRWD said:
SkiddyMcCrash Please try that low grip tyre. It really changes a lot when sliding a car. I am curious what Your impressions would be.
How do I do it? I know there is a post somewhere that tells you how, but I can't find it.

SamRWD said:
How do I do it? I know there is a post somewhere that tells you how, but I can't find it.
mickeeiemouse said:
hello folks

you can change the grip levels of every car. i changed the subaru to 'low' grip tires and the difference was subtle at 1st, but it make a huge difference once you get down to the nitty gritty

cars>models>(select you car of choice, mine was impreza, so '555') >tuning. inside here we have 3 default tuning setups for each country. open each 1 and change the tire grip value at the bottom from 'med' to 'low'

try it out, i think its much harder now, much looser feel to things without having to drive too slow

MM"

I know what you mean but I don't think a video from another game is evidence that this game has a problem. It does seem a little too hard to lose grip in a straight line, but I have no problems in obvious places like corners and crests. I'm no expert though.

SamRWD said:
mickeeiemouse said:
hello folks

you can change the grip levels of every car. i changed the subaru to 'low' grip tires and the difference was subtle at 1st, but it make a huge difference once you get down to the nitty gritty

cars>models>(select you car of choice, mine was impreza, so '555') >tuning. inside here we have 3 default tuning setups for each country. open each 1 and change the tire grip value at the bottom from 'med' to 'low'

try it out, i think its much harder now, much looser feel to things without having to drive too slow

MM"
Cheers @SamRWD I'll give it a try in the morning