Why rain effect has been downgraded in cockpit view ?

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

I think some of you are blowing this completely out of propotion... Using the words "insane" and "disgusting" to a minor graphical bug seems a bit weird... Especially as next to no one cares about the major black hole issues that are seen in F1 games for example :3

It's not out of proportion, we had the game one way and than changed for the worst. I am not going to start talking about money, but I purchased it based on how it was presented and now it's different from what was presented and how it was at launch (and not in a positive way). This is also the Grid forum and not the F1 forum... so yeah stay on topic please.

Downgrading the game few months after launch is indeed a disgusing thing to do, specialy when they don't mention it! trying to pass this low key as if we wouldn't notice and than act supprise...

I don't want to start "conspiracy" theories, but I have a feeling they downgraded it for stadia and receiving a nice check for it from google, filling up their pockets at our expense. That's just a "darker" tought on the matter. I just wish they would acknowledge this, say something about it and revert to what it used to be.

• Agree 1

@UP100 Taking into account the greater context of how terrible this game looks overall (vs CM's own other properties or other racing titles in the market), this is a very bad bug.

1 hour ago, lastbreath said:

Minor? Water effects were almost the only visual effect GRID could be proud of. And now even it is gone.

Though it's still minor, even if it was the only good thing in the game 🙂 Every game has graphical bugs as small as these, such as rF2 had heat haze broken for ages which meant that you had to go and disable it completely if you didnt want to look at a horrible circular thing.

It's great that you worry for the game, but I think there are significantly more important issues than this, though that is obviously only my opinion

E: And no, it doesnt mean you're not allowed to speak about it. It's just weird that this has somehow caused people say this is somehow insane 😁 Also I can't remove that grin... 

Edited by UP100
See E:

1 hour ago, Tr3voRR said:

It's not out of proportion, we had the game one way and than changed for the worst. I am not going to start talking about money, but I purchased it based on how it was presented and now it's different from what was presented and how it was at launch (and not in a positive way). This is also the Grid forum and not the F1 forum... so yeah stay on topic please.

Downgrading the game few months after launch is indeed a disgusing thing to do, specialy when they don't mention it! trying to pass this low key as if we wouldn't notice and than act supprise...

I don't want to start "conspiracy" theories, but I have a feeling they downgraded it for stadia and receiving a nice check for it from google, filling up their pockets at our expense. That's just a "darker" tought on the matter. I just wish they would acknowledge this, say something about it and revert to what it used to be.

Yeah, i don't agree with things being released & then downgraded without the option to upgrade them again !

But i also don't give a rats ass about rain, i actually hate it & those damn sun effects which i would love to remove.

Let's just get back to racing & FooGhetabou teh fancy shmancy !

Racing 1st in SP & MP

then TRACKS TRACKS TRACKS !

i still LOVE my old racing games without all the WE Need ray tracing BS, that stuff is like 5-10yrs before common effect !

Also i don't care for 4k, it's a gimmick & a useless 1 at that for hardware sales................1080p for me or the middle ground i say !

is 1440p middle ? IDK cause i don't have anything to run it..............& i don't care to unless it's affordable.

$ 2k video cards for 4k ?   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THX !

i am not an idiot !

the "system" of things should learn from steam, most have potatoes, lets make french fries !

Edited by OugaBooga

1 minute ago, OugaBooga said:

Yeah, i don't agree with things being released & then downgraded without the option to upgrade them again !

But i also don't give a rats ass about rain, i actually hate it & those damn sun effects which i would love to remove.

Let's just get back to racing & FooGhetabou teh fancy shmancy !

Racing 1st in SP & MP

then TRACKS TRACKS TRACKS !

i still LOVE my old racing games without all the WE Need ray tracing BS, that stuff is like 5-10yrs before common effect !

Also i don't care for 4k, it's a gimmick & a useless 1 at that for hardware sales................1080p for me or the middle ground i say !

is 1440p middle ? IDK cause i don't have anything to run it..............& i don't care to unless it's affordable.

$ 2k video cards for 4k ?   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THX !

i am not an idiot !

4k is not a gimmick, not only you get a crisp image with popping details but it also helps to get rid of aliasing.

it IS a gimmick especially on console DUDE !

my xbox 1 X i bought to test out my belief PROVES it's all scaled & Not true native !

Maybe next gen but even then i think MOST will be scaled ! or some "trick" pony used !

Sorry................but you are like 1% that can afford a TRUE 4k full out "PC" system.....................

i am Not going with this especially when refresh rate matters more like old CRT monitors did.

& that will also be expensive AF !

Edited by OugaBooga
needed more umph !

Tr3voRR, just stop it !

Bragging that you're able to afford a nice system WHEN it's NOT needed is Foolish!

the MAJORITY is why this games spec's are what they are !

Most likely YOU the "bragging elite" have problems & complain MORE or the opposite potatoes land !

you're both the same, too high....... too low !

You DON'T need the BEST to enjoy the game.......................that's my FINAL to this !

middle ground is where it's been for a LONG time !

stop bragging................

Edited by OugaBooga

As for 4K I think 4k destroyed modern games in terms of detalization and physics. I played Control and hell how it was cool to play with all that physics!!! I felt like I was child again! Games could be so cool and fun, instead we have lifeless worlds with empty locations and static scenery because all resources are eaten by 4K. I'm ready to play even in 640x480 if a game will be any cool as Control! Detalization and physics - that's what makes games ALIVE while with 4K you have non-pixelized but dead worlds... CMs could make distant LOD, packed locations, amazing weather conditions, instead we have terrible visuals BUT IN 4K!!!!

Edited by lastbreath
  • Agree 3

On 2/9/2020 at 10:34 PM, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

- Not aware of a purposeful downgrade to any visual aspect of the game. As shown by the comments in this thread: why would that occur? 

- The examples shown all use either very different, or completely unknown, platform specs. Impossible to assess and investigate without info such as this

Taken from X1X (with known platform specs and non-adjustable settings), with the only difference being that the first four were grabbed straight from the 'factory' physical disc version with zero updates...

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046353

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046439

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046535

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046667

....and these four were grabbed after the 12gb of updates were applied

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046773

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046847

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87047080

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87047169

You may notice a slight difference in the weather intensity on the front/side glass as well as on the track itself.

My only question to Codemasters is why did the X1X version of Grid get visually downgraded when it seemingly didn't need to be?

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Agree 1

*** _BorisTheFrog_,   those 1st 4 are soooo cool looking, i had no idea that cockpit looked sooooooo good. you change the fov ?

BTW i hope i get a free copy for my xbox 1 under the same PC account cause that adds replay value................THX CM if you do that !

i MUST disagree, i like the last 4 clips, i am not crazy for all that rain effect or smoke, it just obscures my view & detracts me from racing the other cars.

i guess each to their own view, but i like your FOV ! & that side window i never remember seeing.

Edit: just saw that it was the x1x version & yes i agree why was it downgraded ?

i still like the last 4 rain reduced versions ! if in options i'd reduce it if i could !

i have the PC so unless CM does a microsoft "play anywhere" i ain't getting it for the x1x

BTW, i got the xbox 1 X last blk friday mainly cause of forza fm6-7, fh3-4

Edited by OugaBooga
updated...spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Taken from X1X (with known platform specs and non-adjustable settings), with the only difference being that the first four were grabbed straight from the 'factory' physical disc version with zero updates...

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046353

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046439

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046667

....and these four were grabbed after the 12gb of updates were applied

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046773

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87046847

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/boris-the-frog/video/87047169

You may notice a slight difference in the weather intensity on the front/side glass as well as on the track itself.

My only question to Codemasters is why did the X1X version of Grid get visually downgraded when it seemingly didn't need to be?

Awesome nice job Boris, no excuses for them now.

Edited by Tr3voRR

6 hours ago, OugaBooga said:

Tr3voRR, just stop it !

Bragging that you're able to afford a nice system WHEN it's NOT needed is Foolish!

the MAJORITY is why this games spec's are what they are !

Most likely YOU the "bragging elite" have problems & complain MORE or the opposite potatoes land !

you're both the same, too high....... too low !

You DON'T need the BEST to enjoy the game.......................that's my FINAL to this !

middle ground is where it's been for a LONG time !

stop bragging................

Yeah I didn't brag... I don't know why you're making stuff up. Please stay on topic. I don't complain, I am pointing out a dowgrade they did to us all, you complain more in your post than anyone else.

1 hour ago, OugaBooga said:

*** _BorisTheFrog_,   those 1st 4 are soooo cool looking, i had no idea that cockpit looked sooooooo good. you change the fov ?

BTW i hope i get a free copy for my xbox 1 under the same PC account cause that adds replay value................THX CM if you do that !

i MUST disagree, i like the last 4 clips, i am not crazy for all that rain effect or smoke, it just obscures my view & detracts me from racing the other cars.

i guess each to their own view, but i like your FOV ! & that side window i never remember seeing.

Edit: just saw that it was the x1x version & yes i agree why was it downgraded ?

i still like the last 4 rain reduced versions ! if in options i'd reduce it if i could !

i have the PC so unless CM does a microsoft "play anywhere" i ain't getting it for the x1x

BTW, i got the xbox 1 X last blk friday mainly cause of forza fm6-7, fh3-4

Yeah, I have the FOV set at 85. I think everyone has a different opinion on rain effects in racing games (I prefer biblical downpours because it creates a greater sense of danger and increases the intensity of the races) but the comparisons were simply for the purpose of putting to bed this "unknown platform / unknown spec" excuse and nothing else. The game doesn't need any more downgrades.

I bought the X1X for Project Cars 2 but now Turn 10 have backtracked on all that homologation nonsense Forza 7 has turned out to be a bit of a bonus and i'm now quite happy with it. 

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

I could be wrong but does the amount of rain not change during a race or am I just imagining that?

The video at the bottom of the mini shows the water effect on the bottom of the windscreen.

@lastbreath @Jay84 you're using a clip from a pre-launch build of Season 1 as an example, meaning it's both outdated and wasn't the final build that was launched for players. 

Quick reminder that things like this can only be investigated when we have the information needed to look into them further and find any potential source of the issue.

I've created a guide to make it as easy as possible for anyone to do this: 

Once we have that information, we can look into it further. That being said, I'm currently in the process of ensuring the team are aware of this, and that I'm awaiting concrete information of what you players are experiencing. Looking forward to seeing that 🙂

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, django|UKMD said:

I could be wrong but does the amount of rain not change during a race or am I just imagining that?

The video at the bottom of the mini shows the water effect on the bottom of the windscreen.

This is also true - rain effect will differ slightly between each track/environment, so examples that use the same circuit, before and after any supposed change to rain effects, would be ideal 🙂

10 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

This is also true - rain effect will differ slightly between each track/environment, so examples that use the same circuit, before and after any supposed change to rain effects, would be ideal 🙂

Please for the love of everything great in this world. Just look at the video I posted of the race in brands hatch and YOURSELF go play Brands hatch with rain and you will see the freaking downgrade! GO SEE for YOURSELF so you can stop talking about different specs, variation of rain between tracks and all those excuses. Thank you.

• Agree 4

15 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Before: The off the shelf disc version you were selling to the public

After: Updated to V1.3

Apart from some obvious differences in the quality of the intro videos and some subtle colour changes both versions of the game play perfectly adequately with and without the enhanced rain effects so it beggars the question as to why the downgrade needed to be put in place. Just to avoid the confusion that you seem to be having; Tr3vorr's argument isn't about the amount of rain falling from the sky, it's about the amount of that rain that's hitting the windscreen or the amount of spray that's been thrown up from from the track surface in identical weather conditions within two separate builds of the game.

• Agree 2

Rain effect seems to be back with most of the cars with the latest update, I say most because the new FXX has got zero rain effect on the windscreen, the Pagani has got zero effect as well, the brabham has got the great rain effect, didn't test the aston yet, the 599evo has got the great effect and I didn't test the new ford gt.

So now all cars should be tested to see which one doesn't have the great rain effect.

Just ran a few tests of the above using the new content. Here's an example of the details we would usually need to conduct an investigation: 

•          A short description of the problem: Rain effects on the windscreen in cockpit cam appear to have changed
  •          Platform you’re on (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Steam): Xbox One - base
  •          Game Version (Shown on the Start screen in the bottom left hand corner): Season 2 update 
  •          Game Mode, including if it was Single Player or Multiplayer (Time Trial, Career, Grand Prix, Custom Game etc): Free Play
  •          If in Multiplayer, how many players and how many AI?: N/A
  •         What happened in the lead-up to the problem? Remember: if a bug cannot be reproduced, it cannot be fixed: Booted up the game, went to Free Play > Seasons > Track Day GT > Red Bull Ring > Ferrari 599 XX Evo
  •          If you get an error message, the exact wording of the error message you're receiving: N/A
  •         Any accessories you are using (wheel, pad, etc.): N/A (standard Xbox One controller, no additional display settings changes)
  •         If you have any videos or screenshots, please share them. If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears: attached

Each test I ran showed that rain effects in cockpit cam appear to working as designed , using different cars and weather conditions. 

When I watched the videos uploaded above last week, there certainly appears to be differences and the effects on the windscreen not working as designed. Without details like platform and/or PC spec, scenario reproduction, devices being use, game version details, it's very difficult to investigate something like this and find the source of an issue. However, I still raised the topic this week with our team. No purposeful downgrade of a setting like this appears to have been implemented, so there are two likely scenarios: 

1) An unexpected issue causing cockpit cam to not correctly show rain hitting the windscreen, in some situations, has been resolved via other bug fixes in the Season 2 update 

2) A specific setup/criteria that a player is using is causing this to happen, which is currently difficult to validate as more details would be needed

If anyone continues to see this occur, feel free to head to Technical Assistance, use the example feedback guide above, and give us what we need to investigate 🙂

53 minutes ago, Tr3voRR said:

I say most because the new FXX has got zero rain effect on the windscreen, the Pagani has got zero effect as well

Maybe the "license" doesn't "allow" rain on the car? 😂

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Just ran a few tests of the above using the new content. Here's an example of the details we would usually need to conduct an investigation: 

•          A short description of the problem: Rain effects on the windscreen in cockpit cam appear to have changed
  •          Platform you’re on (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Steam): Xbox One - base
  •          Game Version (Shown on the Start screen in the bottom left hand corner): Season 2 update 
  •          Game Mode, including if it was Single Player or Multiplayer (Time Trial, Career, Grand Prix, Custom Game etc): Free Play
  •          If in Multiplayer, how many players and how many AI?: N/A
  •         What happened in the lead-up to the problem? Remember: if a bug cannot be reproduced, it cannot be fixed: Booted up the game, went to Free Play > Seasons > Track Day GT > Red Bull Ring > Ferrari 599 XX Evo
  •          If you get an error message, the exact wording of the error message you're receiving: N/A
  •         Any accessories you are using (wheel, pad, etc.): N/A (standard Xbox One controller, no additional display settings changes)
  •         If you have any videos or screenshots, please share them. If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears: attached

Each test I ran showed that rain effects in cockpit cam appear to working as designed , using different cars and weather conditions. 

When I watched the videos uploaded above last week, there certainly appears to be differences and the effects on the windscreen not working as designed. Without details like platform and/or PC spec, scenario reproduction, devices being use, game version details, it's very difficult to investigate something like this and find the source of an issue. However, I still raised the topic this week with our team. No purposeful downgrade of a setting like this appears to have been implemented, so there are two likely scenarios: 

1) An unexpected issue causing cockpit cam to not correctly show rain hitting the windscreen, in some situations, has been resolved via other bug fixes in the Season 2 update 

2) A specific setup/criteria that a player is using is causing this to happen, which is currently difficult to validate as more details would be needed

If anyone continues to see this occur, feel free to head to Technical Assistance, use the example feedback guide above, and give us what we need to investigate 🙂

I tried the game after the new update and most cars I tried had the rain effect back to normal, some of the new cars from season pack 2 has zero rain effect (fxx and aston so far). All tried on PC, at max settings, at brands hatch in free play and on time trial (so same condition for all cars).

If the visual effect is back that's great, it would be better if it was on all cars as intended.

4 months for this to be fix or corrected... that's a problem! and it's not even 100% since some cars hasn't got the effect... such has the new aston am pro and the ferrari fxx (so far).

4 minutes ago, Tr3voRR said:

some of the new cars from season pack 2 has zero rain effect (fxx and aston so far). All tried on PC, at max settings, at brands hatch in free play and on time trial (so same condition for all cars). 

Noted - if you have images or this occurring, this would help a great deal 🙂 after each content drop I obviously compile a list of hot topics and potential bugs that are being reported, and this will be included 

I see a lot of people surprised about that, unfortunately it's been a while since Codamester is loosing credibility with his customers, . CM was one of the best game developpers for PS3, but with PS4 quality got worse. An example? this GRID 2019 has nothing to do with  first GRID, it was fantastic. I don't know if they have new people of just want to save money, what I can see is that this Grid version did not sell so many copies and internet is full of complain about the game. What does it mean?

16 hours ago, Tr3voRR said:

I tried the game after the new update and most cars I tried had the rain effect back to normal, some of the new cars from season pack 2 has zero rain effect (fxx and aston so far). All tried on PC, at max settings, at brands hatch in free play and on time trial (so same condition for all cars).

If the visual effect is back that's great, it would be better if it was on all cars as intended.

4 months for this to be fix or corrected... that's a problem! and it's not even 100% since some cars hasn't got the effect... such has the new aston am pro and the ferrari fxx (so far).

Fxx and Pagani from Season 2 dlc has got no rain effect, all the other season 2 dlc works as intended. I have yet tried every single car.

20200213045426_1.jpg

20200213045344_1.jpg

Edited by Tr3voRR