Sign in to follow this  

[Improvement] Gamepad support

I prefer using my new wheel, but I was also using a gamepad at the start and would like to see better support for the other gamepad users playing if at all possible.

GardenPT said:
I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but when I move the steering stick from side to side, it doesn't steer instantly, it goes sloooowly, which makes it impossible to make quick turns in the heat of the moment, or control understeer/oversteer. I need it to be completely direct, as precise as my thumb is. Bassically, I just want the steering to behave exactly like it would in a wheel, but using my stick as an input. That's how I play Assetto Corsa, rFactor and Live for Speed.
This is exactly what I'm looking for + eventually some filters to be able to control sensitivity and steering speed

There are options to tweak it, but it still seems a bit odd. I still find myself making lots of little jerking movements instead or one long small movement. I can't remember what I've got it set to at the moment, but whatever setting I'm using for the Xbox one controller appear to be the best solution so far

There are options to tweak it, but it still seems a bit odd. I still find myself making lots of little jerking movements instead or one long small movement. I can't remember what I've got it set to at the moment, but whatever setting I'm using for the Xbox one controller appear to be the best solution so far
Those options only seem to be showing for the 360 controller so far; for Logitech ones they're not showing; not sure about others.

I use a DualShock 3, and was able to configure it to be usable in DiRT Rally after some manual XML file manipulation.

Two curious things I noticed about pad steering:
- by default thumb stick steering is very slow and doesn't even turn to max, but d-pad steering is fast.
- Reassigning steering manually to the left and right motions of a thumb stick seems to fix the above problem. I.e., the first thing I do when I load DiRT Rally is load my pad preset and then reassign the steering to the controls that are already assigned to it. Instantly more responsive steering.

I use 20-50 steering sensitivity and 70-80 linearity in advanced controls and currently my pad preset uses the following for steering, which is the only thing I have had a problem with.

<Action id="Steer Left"> <Axis id="xinput_left_stick_x" type="biDirLower" deadzone="0" saturation="2" /> <Axis id="xinput_dpad_left" /> </Action> <Action id="Steer Right"> <Axis id="xinput_left_stick_x" type="biDirUpper" deadzone="0" saturation="2" /> <Axis id="xinput_dpad_right" /> </Action>

ok so i went to dirt rally\input and made changes to:

dinput_default.xml then run game without inputmapper, set preset as direct input - no effect
xinput_pad_0 then run game with inputmapper, set preset to x360defaul - still no effect

am I doing something wrong ?

Messing with Linearity and Sensitivity will give you what you're looking for  as far as fixing it from having a "slow" response from the thumbstick

I use my ds4 fine. The turning or input is not slow at all and seems to have no deadzone as far I can tell and I havent touched any xml files, Basically I installed input mapper and xbox 360 accessories then start input mapper, connect the controller, start the game and I'm away. It's pretty cool as well because I don't how many steam games support ds4 natively, but all my steam library works with ds4 flawlessly now. And to think just a few weeks ago I was thinking I'd have to bite the bullet and get an xbox controller because I was sick of keyboard in driving/fighting games. THANK goodness because I've never played xbox in my life except at a mates and I'm a playstation controller guy all the way since ps1.

edit: fuck you wheel elitists saying we aren't allowed to play.

FlakHound said:
Messing with Linearity and Sensitivity will give you what you're looking for  as far as fixing it from having a "slow" response from the thumbstick
any settings to suggest mate? i've tried a few different ones but nothing that seems that comfortable to me yet.
I use the default, I played a lot of Forza and GT on consoles so I suppose I'm a bit more used to it. I recently bought a G27 (Had to RMA it already...) and I can tell you they each take a completely different style of driving.

FlakHound said:
any settings to suggest mate? i've tried a few different ones but nothing that seems that comfortable to me yet.
The number to mess about with is the bottom one. Can't really give you a number to try at as it differs from pad to pad. I have 3 different pads and each one handles differently depending on age and wear and tear on the stick, so each one requires a different setting to counteract it.

For me unfortunately nothing works, (inputmapper + ds4)  but just few seconds ago I've tried rFactctor 2 and it has best controller configuration ever ( for me ). If Codies could make something similar it would be dream.

You couldn't properly control a real car with a gamepad. This game, that should properly model the behavior of a real car, should not be controlled with one either. If you want to play rally with a gamepad, go for Dirt 3.