Rally 2.0 worth it?

I had the first Dirt Rally and didn't play it much but enjoyed Dirt 4 alot. Since Dirt Rally 2.0 is currently cheap on sale for PS4, I was wondering from the community how good is it? I have a few friends online but none race Codemaster games except one F1 racer (mostly GT Sport for everyone else). Input is greatly appreciated since you can only get so much from a game trailor.

yeah, it's worth it. it's better than DR1 and D4. huge car list now, and tons of rally locations (12) and RX tracks (13). there's one more rally location coming in 6 weeks with two more cars as part of a Colin McRae pack.

just make sure you buy the cheaper option 😉 the sale has resulted in a weird situation on my (canadian) PS store where you can either get

• SuperDeluxe edition, which is the base game and Seasons 1-4 (all DLC) for $66.74
  • Base Game ($24.99) + Year 1 Pass ($26.99) which is also all DLC with Seasons 1-4 = $51.98

so obviously if you want to get everything, option 2 is quite a lot cheaper, and you get the exact same stuff. both of these options will give you the upcoming CM pack for free.

• Like 2

I would have happily paid for DR2.0 and every DLC at full price.   I play in VR and there's no experience like it short of actually rallying in real life.

• Like 1

It’s still my most played game nearly a year after release, so would definitely recommend. There’s no chance of you being disappointed. 

plus most bugs have been fixed and it is probably cheaper now too. 

just be aware, the rally dlc locations/stages (as well as some of the cars are from DR1), but as Ianism mentioned, a fresh new rally of Scotland is coming soon, with 2 new cars that weren’t in DR1. 

the Rallycross dlc is all new though so that’s cool if you like RX too! 

Edited by Pieman99
  • Agree 2

Totally recommend it. It’s also my most played game. Only had a break with SW Jedi Fallen Order during the Xmas holidays. 

imo its more realistic than DR1 and D4, but on the other side easier to handle with just a controller compared to DR1. But overall mastering the game is still on a high level. What is that expression again “East to learn, hard to master”.

yes some cars and locations are from DR1, but overall are updated, new physics and some also new sounds.

you can always start with just the base game and later add the DLC. 

I do have the suggestion, if you are on a controller, than rather start with a FWD or 4WD. Rear wheel drive is very tricky.

yes the game has a few minus. The AI could be better, RWD physics could be better imo and tarmac physics could be better. But this are still better than the previous two games.

you could always join the official clubs and maybe check some PS4 members like me, @tbtstt or @JamesMcAdam and join us for some online sessions in both Rallycross and  Rally. 

overall, I think if you liked DiRT4 a lot, you will definitely like DR2.0 also a lot. The only thing that would cause me to boot up DiRT 4 (just happened twice in the last year) is for the Marklund Polo, DS3 and Focus RS RX Rallycross Supercars. Unfortunately those cars did not make the return to DR2.0 in any way (base game or dlc). (Why not @PJTierney? 😭)

Edited by JorritVD
  • Like 2

I agree with most the guys said. It's an absolute blast and you can get the base game and every single DLC released so far for half the price, so I'd say: Go for it. You can also try it for free and decide whether you like it or not. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, JorritVD said:

imo its more realistic than DR1 and D4, but on the other side easier to handle with just a controller compared to DR1. But overall mastering the game is still on a high level. What is that expression again “East to learn, hard to master”.

Definitely agree with this: I think there was a level of inconsistency with car behaviour in DR1 that was reduced with D4 and has now been eliminated in DR2.0. Cars could snap without warning in DR1 and some of the physics in the air seemed well off. 

Rear wheel drive is very tricky.

...yeah, its still tricky, but definitely less random on the limit now!

overall, I think if you liked DiRT4 a lot, you will definitely like DR2.0 also a lot. The only thing that would cause me to boot up DiRT 4 (just happened twice in the last year) is for the Marklund Polo, DS3 and Focus RS RX Rallycross Supercars. Unfortunately those cars did not make the return to DR2.0 in any way (base game or dlc). (Why not @PJTierney? 😭)

Ditto. I occasionally load up DR1 for PIkes Peak and D4 for the Focus RS RX and DS3...

...would really be helping me out if you could get the DS3 sorted as a final hurrah for DR2.0 @PJTierney:classic_laugh:

• Agree 2

Among the best games ever! I returned back after few months and it's sooo good. Sooo good. Love it. New content is still on the way.

like 22B

• Agree 1

Thanks for all the responses! I did buy the Deluxe edition last night for $17. Has Seasons 1 & 2 with extra cars. If I really like it, I'll get the rest of the DLC for it.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Blackhawks81 said:

Thanks for all the responses! I did buy the Deluxe edition last night for $17. Has Seasons 1 & 2 with extra cars. If I really like it, I'll get the rest of the DLC for it.

A little too late for my recommendations then. But I make my respond anyway in case anyone else is wondering about the same thing. 😊 I’m an average player using the stock Dualshock for the PS4, and have now at least a total of 25,000 km behind the «wheels». So there is no surprise when I say that I really love this game, and still playing it on almost a daily basis. Rally is my favourite, driving in cockpit view with no assist (apart from using automatic gearshifting).

I bought this game as a prerelease, and bought season 3/4 when it came out, so I’ve paid the full price for this experience. It wasn’t because of DirtRally which was quite an underwhelming experience in my opinion. Dirt 4 was better but a little bit too repetitive for my liking. Having played rallygames for more than 20 years starting with the first Colin McRae Rally, I would say that finally, after 20 years, Dirt Rally 2.0 is the real successor of Colin McRae 2.0 That is if you buy the complete edition of DR2.0. You get 13 rally locations and 13 rallycross locations in one package. Finally Codemasters deliver a rally game with a location content that can compete with the WRC-games. 😊

The game has its shortcomings:

- Unbalanced AI like in Poland and AI seems to not be affected by weather or low visibility

- Snow in daytime in Sweden makes it extremely difficult to drive in cockpit view because of bad visibility, I have to change to outside view

- Generally the cars slides a little too much in all conditions, except for taramac which I actually find excellent

- Snow are too slippery, both in Sweden and Monte Carlo, and in this aspect Codemasters really should learn from WRC8 which is much closer to the real deal

My biggest frustrations with the game is:

- DR2.0 doesn’t encourage sim driving. The handling of the cars is excellent, but because of the extremely fast AI, you are forced to drive in an arcade way to beat the AI

- The game offers no sort of statistics, like total km or time driven broken down per location or car model

- Your personal best is connected to Time Trial mode, and can not be seen or beaten anywhere else in the game

But all in all I think this game is worth all the NOK 1000,- I had to pay, and I have no problem recommending this game (the complete edition) to anyone who likes racing games. 😎👍🏻

Edited by Kjell007