Sign in to follow this  

Online Racing & Vehicle Progression

Really interesting write up! Plenty of very interesting ideas.

The more I think about it the car ownership and its progression is a fantastic idea. I think it will make many players more wary of damaging the cars and as a result be more considerate of others on the track.

I'm interested to see how competitive can one be when one does not have a great deal of time to invest into racking up XP on a certain car. I hope that it won't be like in GRID 2 when upgrades made a huge difference and disadvantage players with less time invested.
While I think it is a very good move to reward dedication to a certain Discipline or car (and its condition) I would like to stand a chance against others when I have got 2 hours a week to play.

It is also great to see that Codies have listened to player feedback and opened up options for the Custom Cup.

great article! Overwelmed to say at least since I am primary an offline player. Will certainly try this! Any info on the "clubs" @justbiglee ? I thought it would be included in this article.

Didn't Loore say you could set the number of laps online to a max of 10 (or something around that - which I like).  But still trying to get my head around entering a lobby with a race in progress, say with those maximum number of laps (and only 1 gone), choosing my car, then having no idea whatsoever how long I'll have to wait to join the next race.  That is going to be an online game killer is it not(?).

Didn't Loore say you could set the number of laps online to a max of 10 (or something around that - which I like).  But still trying to get my head around entering a lobby with a race in progress, say with those maximum number of laps (and only 1 gone), choosing my car, then having no idea whatsoever how long I'll have to wait to join the next race.  That is going to be an online game killer is it not(?).
What would you like to know?

You'll be able to see what they are up to and how long a race is in the lobby so you won't be sat there with no idea of what is going on.

You'll be able to see what they are up to and how long a race is in the lobby so you won't be sat there with no idea of what is going on.
Can you elborate on that Lee?.

You'll be in the lobby and it will have all of the info displayed as to what the race settings are. If you can see that its a long race and you don't want to stick around you can just back out. - That make more sense?

What is endurance mode? It will have LMP and GT cars? It will be timewise (1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 24 hours)?

You'll be in the lobby and it will have all of the info displayed as to what the race settings are. If you can see that its a long race and you don't want to stick around you can just back out. - That make more sense?
It would be very helpful to know what lap the current 1st place car is on so we have an indication on how long we have to wait for the next race.

Gui1 said:
What is endurance mode? It will have LMP and GT cars? It will be timewise (1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 24 hours)?
It's the arcade version of "endurance." 40 min. max. Or 20 lap max. No pits to repair damage and no penalties to cars that think they are playing demolition derby and ruin your 40 minute race on the first lap. (Flashback is just so artificial). So the tire modding/wear is virtually rendered meaningless in endurance without the ability to change them. That's a major component of any endurance race over, say, 30 mins. where the tires have wear rates (as confirmed that they will in the "enduance" mode in GRID A/S).

Not the best choice for league gamers or even one-off realism. But I suppose we will have to live with it, as Codemasters says. Ironically, they are probably the best at it on xbox. Just look at F1. I know that's a dedicated series, but it's beyond belief that some form of pit repair or penalty system could not be grafted.

It would be very helpful to know what lap the current 1st place car is on so we have an indication on how long we have to wait for the next race.
Yep, sounds so obvious doesn't it.  Its the longer races that some of us prefer, but will we be waiting 1min...5min...20min, we just won't know.  Like I said, a real killer.....people will join then leave, and we end up with scattered low count servers.  With such an obvious/common sense thing, I'm betting its for technical reasons it wasen't included from the start, and that for those same reasons it won't be added after launch either.

Thanks for the reply anyway Lee.

Yep, sounds so obvious doesn't it.  Its the longer races that some of us prefer, but will we be waiting 1min...5min...20min, we just won't know.  Like I said, a real killer.....people will join then leave, and we end up with scattered low count servers.  With such an obvious/common sense thing, I'm betting its for technical reasons it wasen't included from the start, and that for those same reasons it won't be added after launch either.

Let me fire it up tomorrow when I'm back in the office and I'll let you know exactly what info it displays.

Grid 1 also didn't have this information- in lobby or spectate,- but you could ask through text chat and someone would let you know how long till you would be in the race. :-w

LOL! grid 1 always had a spectate option in the lobby, so did Dirt 3, Grid 2 didn't have it just a bright player list slowly moving about till you got retina burn lol.

One of the best features (along with text chat) and it's still missing sadly....

LOL! grid 1 always had a spectate option in the lobby, so did Dirt 3, Grid 2 didn't have it just a bright player list slowly moving about till you got retina burn lol.

One of the best features (along with text chat) and it's still missing sadly....
and they said they have listened fans :)

Just read the blog, It looks great.  

But 2 changes you need to make to put this game into the hall of fame.  

1:  RANDOM grid order Online playlist. 

2:  NO flashbacks ONLINE

The idea of climbing the grid order is great, but why cant you just set it to RANDOM.  Then everyone gets a fair shot at pole position, and last.  

When I read "we've added a few new ideas of our own" I cant help but think......really......why??? Dont you remember Liveroutes? 

Obviously the indepth explanations I have provided for not having flashbacks online have fallen on deaf ears. 

This means T-bone and flashback will work.  Maybe not T-bone, but takeouts and flashbacks are here to stay people.  YEY good job CM.

Yes noobs feel they need them, buts  how long are noobs goin to play the game for? 

CM codies, please come onto xbox live on friday evening,  I can show you why Flashbacks are the route of evil in grid 2.  We could call it "testing"  
:D

But Grid 1 was circuit based, even in spectate there was no lap counter and if you started spectate at the first lap of 12 on Spa (15 minute wait) you wouldn't know where you were timewise, someone usually let the speccy's know the lap and count.
But hey it was good to spectate while waiting than having absolutely no clue as to race standing.

Not really. The length of the race is pretty much irrelevant, all we want to know is how long until it finishes. That’s by far the most important factor in deciding whether to stick around.

Let me fire it up tomorrow when I'm back in the office and I'll let you know exactly what info it displays.
Did you get chance to have a look?

Loggy said:

But Grid 1 was circuit based, even in spectate there was no lap counter and if you started spectate at the first lap of 12 on Spa (15 minute wait) you wouldn't know where you were timewise, someone usually let the speccy's know the lap and count.
But hey it was good to spectate while waiting than having absolutely no clue as to race standing.

Well, atleast you could have something to do instead of just sitting there watching at text, watching a race = fun. watching a non moving screen with some text on it = not fun which instantly leads to re searching for lobbies over and over.

It's a real bummer but it's one of the reasons i'll probably skip this one (along with the non working dash/rearview mirrors and blurred out/low poly cockpit, no replay saving alongside online replays(?), text chat(?), oh and full control of a weather and day/night setting), even if they show laps in the lobby its not enough imo. But we'll see how it pans out at release as it looks really good aside from those things, which is a shame cuz its things i value pretty high.

I mean its freaking fun to join in and just watch some of your friends battle it out once in a while :P.