Sign in to follow this  

Should there be more surface detail?

I've noticed while driving in this game that surface texture maps don't really match the response from the vehicle. I don't know if I'm being a huge pedant here, but I feel like there should be a lot more detail going on here, as the surface is the most important detail of rally driving. It's most noticeable on stages in Wales; When I drive through a rut left by other tires, I want to have to fight a little to get out of them, and when I go through little pools of standing water I want the steering to pull a little bit, or even better have the car start to aquaplane. Perhaps even laser scan some stages?

Also I didn't notice an improvement of a grip when following a lines left by previous drivers which is a very common technique in real world.

Whilst ibcertainpy wouldn't argue at their being more different reactions to the surfaces, I don't think laser scanning would be an answer or make sense for a rally game.

Damn, I've missed laser scanning part. Forget laser scanning, it doesn't make any sence.

As many others said, laser scanning is pretty useless to use on deformable terrain in the real world. But we don't really have any deformable terrain in game, so it makes every stage exactly the same. This makes the game feel like its essentially just like every other major racing game, but with different surfaces

What is it now is enough.
What we need though is the proper feedback from each type/condition of surfaces.

If you're starting in the front pack I think their should be more grip and vice versa.
(But that can be done visually too, solid surface for front runner then abit dirty/used surface looking when youre at the back)