Sign in to follow this  

[improvement] animals and spectators running on the course

we all know the good thing about rallies is they are unpredictable with track conditions and if animals come out onto the track (happens regularly) and drivers having to dodge crazy fans trying to get the perfect photo etc. i feel this must be an option that has to be included into this game but must also have an option to be able to turn it off for the more casual gamer much like project cars has gone with its weather and time shift system in their game. all this adds is realism to the game and god knows we really need a realistic modern rally game to trash around in.

You do realise that those two options are the absolute same thing, right? It would be 'fake and unrealistic' to have those things in a modern rallying environment (which this game captures the atmosphere of perfectly). The realistic option is NOT to add in these gimmicks.

A ) animals requiring dodging is very rare in top line rallying; I watch a lot of WRC and ERC coverage and I can count the number of times I've seen it on a single hand. And even then, they specifically make a point of showing it in the coverage because of how rare it is. If this was happening frequently it would feel like a classic arcade game to me.

B ) spectators crowding out the road is a thing of the past and isn't part of modern rallying, fortunately. Don't get me wrong, I miss being a dangerous lunatic when stageside in real life, but stages will get cancelled if people are jumping in front of cars to take photos. Things have moved on from there and now the biggest threat is people (especially untrained pro photographers) standing in spots where they're in danger IF the car goes off the road.

So this is another poll with leading options that make no sense. It should read something like 'I'd like to see more if this' or 'keep it the way that it is' and, for the record, I'd still prefer keeping to the latter seeing as that is more realistic.

I agree with @RodgerDavies - this doesn't happen much anymore. Plus I feel like it would make more of your top time based on luck rather than skill - "ooh nothing jumped across my car this time so I got my best time yet" or "darn that deer, I would have broken my record if it hadn't been for that". That crosses the line from "fun sim" to "frustrating as all hell" to me. 

These posts that only give you the same option are getting pretty annoying. Having someone standing in the middle of the road to take a picture would make the game cheesy and cheap. We just got away from the Flashbacks, and this would add back in some of that cheesy gameplay. Also, @RodgerDavies is right, it doesn't happen that much.

This post is as opinionated as it gets, and while i do like the idea of having animals running across the track now and again, they already have it, and more than that is not actually realistic like you claim (they are extreme rarities) and wouldnt add anything to the game. 
Do you seriously think a game is going to simulate a person "taking a selfie" or even an animal having to be avoided or otherwise getting hit by a car? i mean seriously?

FlakHound said:
These posts that only give you the same option are getting pretty annoying. Having someone standing in the middle of the road to take a picture would make the game cheesy and cheap. We just got away from the Flashbacks, and this would add back in some of that cheesy gameplay. Also, @RodgerDavies is right, it doesn't happen that much.
You can make it subtly, or you can make it vulgar.

Codemasters shows that they have both class and style.

Check out the small animal crossing the track @ 7:19 (left to right)

https://youtu.be/QModsWuBPZk
Right, That's essentially what I'm saying is the way we have it now is fine. I don't want to see the corny "photographer" in the middle of the track to snap a picture and run back, or see a rabbit sprinting across the road every single stage.

Even if it was realistic (and I'm not sure that it is), it doesn't really add anything to the game. A realistic driving model is what I want, the career and crowd and graphics don't need to be realistic for me, they are always going to be a huge step away from real life anyway.

And how crap would it be to see the same animal or person at the same point of the track every time, that would be immersion shattering. The level of effort that would have to be put into randomization to make it work would not be warranted considering the fun you get from it.

Btw don't bother making a poll if you rig the options to make everyone agree with you. It's a bit childish.

I would like question to be more like "would you like to see random events or not".

For me to see random events like:
-spectator cars change places
-other competitors cars if broken on stage, or even catch up other drivers having difficulties etc. 
-weather / condition changes in middle of stage (as already happens somewhat in monte carlo stages). In real life monte spectators throw snow to some corners.
-natural distractions
-sometimes but rarely see animals and spectators on road. It could happen would make it a scary thing.

-Maybe Paul and Jon T should just make a list of how many times and what distracting things happend to them and use it as reference

And of course this should be an option, something you can choose to be on / off or even more in depth. It could be great thing for single player championship or career and also for online leagues to choose these settings.
but option to turn it off is just as important to some players.

For me these random events would be crucial for immersion and overall feeling!

I've lived in Yorkshire pretty much my entire life and been driving for the majority of that time, yes there is wildlife. And I still have no idea what your point is. Watch a lot of rallying stages... unless you specifically search for animals you won't find them.

Top 3 searches for 'WRC onboard night':

Kris Meeke - Sweden ONBOARD at night!! Citroen DS…: https://youtu.be/2mDDq97tmzk

ERC Jännerrallye / Janner Rally 2014 - Kubica SS1…: https://youtu.be/2ePy2zfTVwc

Corolla wrc onboard at night: https://youtu.be/0vkCld4V9tk

Let me know how many animals you spot or fans running across the stage haphazardly. Actually, I recommend watching the Kubica one anyway because it's an outstanding piece of footage.

On a serious note, I keep saying to myself when driving - "Why on earth would you stand in the OUTSIDE of that curve. Stupid spectators."

I don't know what Rally you watch but people on stages = cancelled stage, too many spectators = cancelled stage. They are never on stages (unless its for a car recovery). Also animals are very rare as well. Really by shoe horning them in is "fake and unrealistic" not vice versa. 

austinb said:
This post is as opinionated as it gets, and while i do like the idea of having animals running across the track now and again, they already have it, and more than that is not actually realistic like you claim (they are extreme rarities) and wouldnt add anything to the game. 
Do you seriously think a game is going to simulate a person "taking a selfie" or even an animal having to be avoided or otherwise getting hit by a car? i mean seriously?
You prove that you haven't been driving out in the countryside very  much !
I have, and I can tell you there is plenty of animals, small and large running around especially at night.

Do you even have a driving license ?
I do indeed have a license, i also live in a small town surrounded by countryside, so i am entirely entitled to state as such.
Please explain to me why my post was off topic? your response to my post is still on topic therefore how can my post be off topic?
I dont understand your obsession with hitting "disagree" or "off topic" buttons on virtually every comment that doesnt match your opinion. These forums are here for constructive debates, learn not to take it so personally when people dont agree with your opinions.

Hi!
I live in a small size town, I used to drive late at night at least 5 days a week, often times late in the night. I've encountered animals no more often than 5- 8 times a year, always when driving through one of small forests I had to pass (only deers and similar animals, and hogs- not sure if these are right names for those animals, but You get the idea). IMHO- should we get random factor in DR? Yes. Should it happen once every stage, every rally? Probably not. As for spectators- It is a cool idea, but pretty much everyone on RBR competetive scene mods the game so there are no spectators/ marshalls since hitting them applies a big time penality (or disqualification in single player carrer on highest difficulty level). I would like to see more spectators, flashlights, horns etc, but I don't care as much for a guy running across the road. As for random factor I'd rather like to see a random puncture, engine damage and such. For those of You who enjoy RPG element of carrer mode, You could reduce a chance to get a car part damaged with appropate improvement unlocked.

There's something you seem to be missing. He's just asking for random events that have absolutely no effect on the game, like a rabbit crossing the road way before you get near it. You wouldn't have to dodge spectators or things like that.

Animals and spectators? Pah... Why not add a dozy farmer driving his tractor onto the stage... a group of hostile fans egging your car or placing a log in your path.. your co-driver puking over the dash at the end of the stage, a forrest fire in full blaze started off by some stoner who tossed his finished spliff into the bracken, with atmospheric smoke affecting visual range....  or maybe even a couple at it in the woods to test your concentration levels?

:D

I voted yes but on hindsight it should have been no I think..

I've seen this happen quite a few times in DiRT 3 and I wouldn't mind it being in this game, but I'd like more effort on the physics than the little track details. The game already has enough eye candy.

austinb said:
You prove that you haven't been driving out in the countryside very  much !
I have, and I can tell you there is plenty of animals, small and large running around especially at night.

Do you even have a driving license ?
While you may experience it, you're the exception not the rule. Along with the fact that many animals hearing a car as loud as the ones in game will run away from, not towards it. Also, there's no need to be a smartass.

Oscar97 said:
There's something you seem to be missing. He's just asking for random events that have absolutely no effect on the game, like a rabbit crossing the road way before you get near it. You wouldn't have to dodge spectators or things like that.
Im not sure he is though? The OP says "... if animals come out onto the track (happens regularly) and drivers having to dodge crazy fans trying to get the perfect photo etc."
That gives me the impression what hes asking for it to be an extra challenge/obstacle and not simply an extra graphic. They already have that included anyway.

Even if it was realistic (and I'm not sure that it is), it doesn't really add anything to the game. A realistic driving model is what I want, the career and crowd and graphics don't need to be realistic for me, they are always going to be a huge step away from real life anyway.

And how crap would it be to see the same animal or person at the same point of the track every time, that would be immersion shattering. The level of effort that would have to be put into randomization to make it work would not be warranted considering the fun you get from it.

Btw don't bother making a poll if you rig the options to make everyone agree with you. It's a bit childish.
I have seen wildlife . but come on the Core driving part of the game is far more important that any eyecandy.

In case you didn't know, there already ARE animals crossing the road. Spectators are just fine the way they are.
I want a rally game, not a 'hole in the wall' simulator trying to dodge spectators and animals blocking the roads.

Edit: I hate how these polls have such stupid options, stop trying to be a smartass and just say:
  •  add more animals and spectators (on the road)
  • it's fine the way it is

No Problem with some animals crossing the track or something like that but in terms of realism the game is actually very Close to real life. At some points there are spectators in places were they shouldn't be (inside a hairpin or the outside of a fast turn for example) and this is also a sad fact in real life.

Rally Argentina two weeks ago showed that spectator-safety is a foreign word to the most fans. I'd like to see more of the "Safety" as it should be not as it actual is at the Moment. At the moment many of the spectatorareas are highly dangerous and reflecting this to a Rally game is the wrong way to show somebody how to behave on a Rally.

I know, it's just a game but we're talking about realism and in Football games like FIFA are no Hooligans, no pyro on the pitch, no naked runners, etc. because it's not part of the nice side of Football, like Fans in No-Go Areas are not a part of real ralling :)