Sign in to follow this  

[improvement] animals and spectators running on the course

Rally Argentina two weeks ago showed that spectator-safety is a foreign word to the most fans. I'd like to see more of the "Safety" as it should be not as it actual is at the Moment. At the moment many of the spectatorareas are highly dangerous and reflecting this to a Rally game is the wrong way to show somebody how to behave on a Rally.

I'd say Argentina is kinda exception. They just cannot behave. I remember them throwing stones at drivers couple seasons back.
I don't have an opinion as for how should DiRT approach spectators. I sure wish to see more of them in some places, but otherwise I don't know... Same about animals.

SamRWD said:

Rally Argentina two weeks ago showed that spectator-safety is a foreign word to the most fans. I'd like to see more of the "Safety" as it should be not as it actual is at the Moment. At the moment many of the spectatorareas are highly dangerous and reflecting this to a Rally game is the wrong way to show somebody how to behave on a Rally.

I'd say Argentina is kinda exception. They just cannot behave. I remember them throwing stones at drivers couple seasons back.
I don't have an opinion as for how should DiRT approach spectators. I sure wish to see more of them in some places, but otherwise I don't know... Same about animals.
Don't forget about Monte Carlo this year or poland last year, next week is Rally Portugal... this are all rallies with big Problems with their spectators. At least Portugal is improving after the waring of the FIA a few years ago. It's good to see fans around the stages in the game, no question but at least the AI should be placed safer then some fans in real life are standing :)

I voted yes but it would depend on how it's implemented. It should be a very rare, once in every 100 stages occurrence perhaps? As people have said, it's very rare for it to happen so that should be reflected in the game if possible, but having the option would be cool!

FlakHound said:
While you may experience it, you're the exception not the rule. Along with the fact that many animals hearing a car as loud as the ones in game will run away from, not towards it. Also, there's no need to be a smartass.
You really haven't got a clue what you're talking about and judging from your previous posts you have absolutely zero knowledge in general, just a big mouth so I urge you to STFU until you know some facts OK.

Now tell me who's a Smartass ?
Play nice, or else I'll play the smartarse

How about the animals dont actually affect you unless you're already off track, like having animals grazing just off the side of the road you can hit when you crash.

@Spacelion good idea! also some leaves etc falling on your front window and more mud etc :).front window could also break more realistic small cracks turning slowly into bigger cracks etc

Spacelion said:
How about the animals dont actually affect you unless you're already off track, like having animals grazing just off the side of the road you can hit when you crash.
Because then we'll just have to wade through videos of people going off track to run over a deer. And how does that benefit the game play experience at all?

FlakHound said:
While you may experience it, you're the exception not the rule. Along with the fact that many animals hearing a car as loud as the ones in game will run away from, not towards it. Also, there's no need to be a smartass.
You really haven't got a clue what you're talking about and judging from your previous posts you have absolutely zero knowledge in general, just a big mouth so I urge you to STFU until you know some facts OK.

Now tell me who's a Smartass ?
Have you ever been to a rally @Magicaldog ?

FlakHound said:
Spacelion said:
Because then we'll just have to wade through videos of people going off track to run over a deer. And how does that benefit the game play experience at all?
Why do you want to kill a deer that badly? It should add to the ambient scenery not be carmageddon. And the fauna running across the road at the moment is good like rabbits. Its just like flakhound mentioned it doesn't necessarily add that much to the gameplay but makes the locations feel more alive and realistic with some nice leaves falling and mud would be good.

Spacelion said:
FlakHound said:
Spacelion said:
Why do you want to kill a deer that badly? It should add to the ambient scenery not be carmageddon. And the fauna running across the road at the moment is good like rabbits. Its just like flakhound mentioned it doesn't necessarily add that much to the gameplay but makes the locations feel more alive and realistic with some nice leaves falling and mud would be good.
I have a thing against deer. Kidding, but I was referring to Spacelion saying you should be able to hit them when off track. I'm in support of more ambient scenery like you described with leaves and such, but more animals isn't going to feel more immersive to me, its going to feel like driving through a zoo if some people get their way with how many animals they want.

FlakHound said:
Spacelion said:
FlakHound said:
Spacelion said:
I have a thing against deer. Kidding, but I was referring to Spacelion saying you should be able to hit them when off track. I'm in support of more ambient scenery like you described with leaves and such, but more animals isn't going to feel more immersive to me, its going to feel like driving through a zoo if some people get their way with how many animals they want.
I definitely don't want a zoo either but in certain locations there is sheep and other animals near tracks its just realistic.

let´s make it very subtle and random.
Maybe even with an option to turn it off for those who do not want their times wrecked because there are suddenly cows on the road in front of them - which happens (it happened in WRC 2014 and WRC 2015  see e.g. ("...Martin Prokop’s Fiesta RS, who encountered a cow in the road and survived... (http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/march/day-2-round-up/page/2260--12-12-.html))- but of course very seldom. But when it happens for sure it will give you a realisitic feeling.

BTW: one comment was about "it doesn´t happen anymore that spectators are on the road". I mean, we can drive rally cars fromt the 70ies in the game if we select them, so then why should we not have the behaviour and crowd (and rules) from the 70ies (if we prefer via an option that we can set in the program)?

Basically it would be fine if small animals maybe up to a deer would occasionally pop up, deer being the least likely, but it needs to be basically entirely visual, if it becomes something you have to actively avoid it would become quite frustrating. as far as spectators go, I think only the Baja 1000 still has people dodging cars.