DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

I need a new screen

Unfortunately my 27” screen is starting to show signs of being on it’s way out, so I’m starting to research a replacement.  I really can’t fit 3 screens in and VR doesn’t do anything for me as I can only tolerate it for brief periods.  So I need a single, decent gaming screen and driving games are all I play on the PC.

So I’ve started looking at the ultra wide, curved screens and wondering if any of the 144 1ms versions of those screens are any good?   Specifically for DR2.0, is anyone running one of these types of screens and would recommend them?   The alternative is I’ll just go for a standard 32”, but if I can get a bit more immersion then even better!

22 hours ago, KolysioN said:

Many may prefer the 5120x1440 version, but even with rtx 2080ti, you won't have a high framerate....

This is the only reason I've held off on the 32:9 ultrawides. I've only got a 1080ti myself, but it has no issues pushing out 3440x1440p @ 100hz+ for me in DR2. I have both versions of the x34 panel:

The Acer Predator version (older) - https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-UltraWide-Widescreen-X34/dp/B016GNX4SE
The Dell Alienware version (new) - https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Monitor-Resolution-Overclocked/dp/B0777RY75V

Both are absolutely gorgeous and I love them. Can't go wrong with these options and if you have a Microcenter near you and an old .edu email address you can typically grab either for ~$650 in the summer with all rebates applied.

Once the 3xxx series drop for Nvidia I might consider upgrading one of the monitors to the super ultrawides but I'm still hesitant cuz I don't think we'll have the real raw performance power for it until the 4xxx series, or at least the 3xxx refresh.

20 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

This is the only reason I've held off on the 32:9 ultrawides. I've only got a 1080ti myself, but it has no issues pushing out 3440x1440p @ 100hz+ for me in DR2. I have both versions of the x34 panel:

The Acer Predator version (older) - https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-UltraWide-Widescreen-X34/dp/B016GNX4SE
The Dell Alienware version (new) - https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Monitor-Resolution-Overclocked/dp/B0777RY75V

Both are absolutely gorgeous and I love them. Can't go wrong with these options and if you have a Microcenter near you and an old .edu email address you can typically grab either for ~$650 in the summer with all rebates applied.

Once the 3xxx series drop for Nvidia I might consider upgrading one of the monitors to the super ultrawides but I'm still hesitant cuz I don't think we'll have the real raw performance power for it until the 4xxx series, or at least the 3xxx refresh.

That's I prefer the 49" 3840x1080p ! with a rtx 2080ti or 1080ti it's very good, and with the new 3080ti, we will be close to max the 144hz :), and if you have spare power, you can use DSR...thatt's why I still prefer the 3840x1080 version.

Anout dirt rally 2, I play at 1440p 144hz gsync, and I use all max (except crow at low) , and MSAA x8 ( i hate aliasing), so with rain and Germany, the fps drops to 65/75 (unacceptable for me) with a 1080ti so I need the power of the 2080ti...My standard are ultra graphics, max anti-aliasing, and the highest framerate, so 2080ti + 49" 3840x1080 is a very good deal.

Edited by KolysioN

Wow..  good advice.  And looks like they’re definitely rated highly.  My limiting issue though by the sounds is going to be my old 980 so I’ll be looking at a fairly expensive upgrade before I can go for one of these types of monitors.

Thanks for all the info everyone.