Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Does the Fanatec Podium Wheel work on Xbox? What is the best direct drive wheel?

Hi guys. I'm just wondering what you guys use to drive with? I'm currently using a Logitech G920 and it's OK.

I'm looking to buy a good direct drive wheel, so wondered if you had any recommendations?

I've seen the Fanatec Podium wheel which looks great. Although I don't think it is compatible with Xbox. This review I read isn't clear? Do you guys know if it is or not?

If not do you use any direct drive wheels on Xbox which you'd recommend?

Thanks!

The podium wheel is compatible as far as I know, but all the surplus in buttons is useless since Xbox doesn't support that. So that will be a big investment were you can't benefit from all the extra's. As far as I know, Fanatec is the only one offering a direct drive wheel that works on Xbox.

Xbox One® and Xbox Series X: The Podium Racing Wheel Formula for Xbox One and PC is compatible with Xbox One and Xbox Series X when the included ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2 for Xbox One is attached. Without an Xbox One licensed Steering Wheel attached, the Wheel Base is NOT compatible with Xbox One. (information direct from the Fanatec website)

There are rumours about Thrustmaster releasing a direct drive wheel, but that's all I know for now and this information dated back three years and I still haven't seen one.

At this moment there is no news regarding VR support (allthough a lot of you would be very happy)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Marcel. Do you have a link to the Thrustmaster rumors or a rough date, as I'm thinking of investing in one pretty soonish.

It's a shame about all of the different inputs on the wheel. Does Xbox only allow inputs for the buttons on the controller? Can't you map different buttons from a wheel to functions in game?

On 2/17/2020 at 12:56 PM, RyxProductions said:

Hi guys. I'm just wondering what you guys use to drive with? I'm currently using a Logitech G920 and it's OK.

I'm looking to buy a good direct drive wheel, so wondered if you had any recommendations?

I've seen the Fanatec Podium wheel which looks great. Although I don't think it is compatible with Xbox. This review I read isn't clear? Do you guys know if it is or not?

If not do you use any direct drive wheels on Xbox which you'd recommend?

Thanks!

The Fanatec DD1 is great and it is compatible with Xbox One, but that is probably overkill for racing on an Xbox One.  I own a Fanatec DD1 PS4 wheel and have used it on PS4, XB1, and PC.  It’s a superb wheel and I’ve loved owning it, but I only race on PS4 and PC these days.  There are frustrating limitations with Fanatec wheels in Xbox One racing games.  This is a Microsoft problem that they never went back and fixed.  The Xbox One has a little bit more limited wheel support with Fanatec compared to PS4, and certainly PC.

Most of Fanatec’s nicer wheel options offer several extra buttons that simply can’t be used on Xbox One because the Xbox does not fully implement the Fanatec SDK.  PC obviously gives you the best functionality and ability to map all buttons, but even on PS4 you are able to make use of several more buttons as the PS4 properly supports the Fanatec SDK.  For example, you are free to map L2/R2 to different functions on PS4 because the gas/brake pedals register as unique inputs.  On Xbox Fanatec supported wheels, the LT/RT are hard coded to gas/brake.  In other words, you lose two face buttons.  Maybe not the end of the world depending on your racing preferences but it can make a difference in games like F1 or PC2 where you need the extra buttons on your wheel for pit limiter, fuel adjustments, DRS, etc.  Just something to consider.  The wheel does officially support Xbox so it’s certainly usable but I’d consider the limitations first before spending that much on a wheel and being disappointed with the missing functionality.

There have been a lot of posts on here and other places from people who bought the fancy Formula V2 wheel for their Fanatec wheelbase only to find out that they can’t use any of the extra buttons when racing on Xbox One.  Even worse, those same formula wheels do support all the extra buttons when used on PS4 in F1 2019.  Very frustrating for the Xbox One only racers out there!

1 hour ago, BadFlounder said:

The Fanatec DD1 is great and it is compatible with Xbox One, but that is probably overkill for racing on an Xbox One.  I own a Fanatec DD1 PS4 wheel and have used it on PS4, XB1, and PC.  It’s a superb wheel and I’ve loved owning it, but I only race on PS4 and PC these days.  There are frustrating limitations with Fanatec wheels in Xbox One racing games.  This is a Microsoft problem that they never went back and fixed.  The Xbox One has a little bit more limited wheel support with Fanatec compared to PS4, and certainly PC.

Most of Fanatec’s nicer wheel options offer several extra buttons that simply can’t be used on Xbox One because the Xbox does not fully implement the Fanatec SDK.  PC obviously gives you the best functionality and ability to map all buttons, but even on PS4 you are able to make use of several more buttons as the PS4 properly supports the Fanatec SDK.  For example, you are free to map L2/R2 to different functions on PS4 because the gas/brake pedals register as unique inputs.  On Xbox Fanatec supported wheels, the LT/RT are hard coded to gas/brake.  In other words, you lose two face buttons.  Maybe not the end of the world depending on your racing preferences but it can make a difference in games like F1 or PC2 where you need the extra buttons on your wheel for pit limiter, fuel adjustments, DRS, etc.  Just something to consider.  The wheel does officially support Xbox so it’s certainly usable but I’d consider the limitations first before spending that much on a wheel and being disappointed with the missing functionality.

There have been a lot of posts on here and other places from people who bought the fancy Formula V2 wheel for their Fanatec wheelbase only to find out that they can’t use any of the extra buttons when racing on Xbox One.  Even worse, those same formula wheels do support all the extra buttons when used on PS4 in F1 2019.  Very frustrating for the Xbox One only racers out there!

Such a shame. Hopefully Microsoft will sort this issue with the release of the new console later this year. 🤞

Hi Lads

Im also thinking of upgrading from my thrustmaster setup to the dd1 and fully aware of the lack of button options and compatibility but as an Xbox racer for 10 years now I’ve come used to this but ultimately would like to know what it’s like and how much more of a difference to drive with is the dd1 from the current thrustmaster/Logitech options on the Xbox. 
is it light and day like some people say or do you only really get the benefit if using it in the PC. 

Jon