Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×

Codemasters please change ERS

F1 2019 been a really good game but changing the ERS on almost every corner and lap is a joke! 

F1 drivers don’t do this they have overtake button. Surly they don’t change it every corner!?

I can’t concentrate on driving and changing ERS all the time. I use to race in leagues but got frustrated with saving ERS all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Disagree 1

Agreed, 

I still think I must be missing some hotkeys somewhere, so that I can switch quickly to 'low' or 'overtake', but I'm glad it's not just me.

• Agree 2

I'm actually okay with how it is atm, but I get why a lot of people dislike it.

Good and much requested idea would be to have a pre-mapped ERS strategy with an Overtake-button able to be used as an override

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I like it, it provides another layer of strategy in races especially online, esports etc 

Its easier if you use a wheel, especially new wheel rims with thumb dials, you can also make/buy  F1 wheel rims with thumb dials 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

ERS has been in the game for 2 iterations now and should have been improved for 20 19 but sadly was not. It's better to have it than not have it but the 2 options available are both miles from real life. Auto is just annoying, will lose you races online and only works in Career if you turn the ai down. Manual is WAY too much manual. For sure it's easy to map buttons with a wheel to fuel mapping and ERS and with practice its second nature to switch through settings its just hyper unrealistic and distracting for sure. In fact auto would work more realistically if you had manual override control. Either with buttons or voice activation. Just 2 extra commands would useful imo, CHARGE and HOTLAP. The first would be useful if you have a good lead on the person behind or if you are slipstreaming someone and want to build up charge for an attack. HOTLAP for obvious reasons. These could be switched back to AUTO when the charge is either full (CHARGE) or empty (HOTLAP) so the driver wouldn't forget to switch back, or manual switch back with a button press. 

For maximum flexibility you could keep the present system but just add CHARGE and HOTLAP commands plus HOTLAP on/off toggle during the race. Wheel users would love this extra control and pad users would probably be using auto and the manual overrides to keep it simpler yet still way more realistic. 

AUTO could be improved too and be TEAM MANAGED. Jeff would chime in (if you wanted him to!) and say WE'VE NOTICED A PASSING OPPORTUNITY SOON SO WE'RE CHARGING YOU UP /YOU'RE KILLING YOUR TIRES SO DROPPING ERS BEFORE YOUR IMPENDING PIT STOP. Or YOU'RE APPROACHING A LEADER /PACK OF CARS WE ARE GIVING YOU FULL POWER BEFORE THE FINAL TURN INTO THE STRAIGHT. In each case you could also have a PRESS TO CONFIRM OR IGNORE TO CANCEL. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

For maximum flexibility you could keep the present system but just add CHARGE and HOTLAP commands plus HOTLAP on/off toggle during the race. Wheel users would love this extra control and pad users would probably be using auto and the manual overrides to keep it simpler yet still way more realistic. 

Yep, this would do it for me 🙂

Well there is always the ERS assist if you don't want to handle it yourself... as technically it's an assist they use in real life 🙂 

I don't think I lose that much by having the assist on, though I tend to forget about it completely. Usually when I lose it's more due to my poor driving than the ERS 😁

• Agree 1

Hi everyone,

I've added this revised ERS format as a suggestion to the developers for consideration for future titles. 

• Thanks 8
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

Hi everyone,

I've added this revised ERS format as a suggestion to the developers for consideration for future titles. 

Good news, but:

Will F1 2020 have this revised ERS feature or will it be patched in after release at a later date, or should we expect it for F1 2021+?

Imo, the sooner, the better.

Hi @TheEmpireWasRight,

I currently cannot comment on future titles at this time, however, the suggestion of a more realistic ERS system is something that the developers will take into consideration moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I agree 100%. The ERS needs changing. It'd be nice to be able to map it out before the race so it automatically deploys lap after lap the way you set it up, unless you override it with like a 'push to pass' button.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I'll add my comment from another topic here 🙂

There should be a New setting in Setup menu where u can map up to for example 3 ERS modes per track on your own how you want it. And then u can use the overtake Button surely on track and u can Switch between your premapped modes. That would be how it works in real, but a little bit a Light Version of it. I think this would be much more realistic than the actual up and down every corner.... I mean its easy and not Hard to handle but for the official f1 game just unrealitic!

PS: and it would be pretty cool, when u have the fanatec formula wheel because u can use the encoder switches for changing your premapped mode 🙂

Edited by Exodium

On 2/19/2020 at 11:19 AM, BarryBL said:

Hi @TheEmpireWasRight,

I currently cannot comment on future titles at this time, however, the suggestion of a more realistic ERS system is something that the developers will take into consideration moving forward.

This is great to hear. Currently ERS management isn't hard to do, although just isn't realistic. It does need to change, however it is much more manageable with wheels such as the Fanatec Clubsport F1 rim where you have actual dials. This allows you to change through modes with just a thumb movement, but still not idealy realistic. I look forward to seeing Codies new implementation of ERS hopefully in game!

Ok so my initial thoughts are pls don’t change it however I think there is a meet me half way approach that matches real life and would be a great compromise for the game.  So the way I think that ERS should work is by having to programme it in the practice sessions which then can be manually overridden in the race.  So I think that either the ERS practice program or the race practice program should look at the ERS input from the player and then that should be used as the default in the race.  So let’s say on the practice program you turn it to high in the main straight and then to low approaching the corner the car should then do this as default in the race (without further player input).  If you fail the practice program you have to manually adjust ERS more in the race otherwise you will either use too much or too little ERS (depending on how you failed the practice program).  With my approach you would need to keep online the same as there is no online practice mode that could be used.  This matches what the teams do for each GP with simulation and practice sessions in tuning ERS for each circuit.  When you hear Verstappen complaining about de-rating and the team saying they will look into it that is exactly what they are doing is tweaking the usage throughout the track.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Acerees said:

Ok so my initial thoughts are pls don’t change it however I think there is a meet me half way approach that matches real life and would be a great compromise for the game.  So the way I think that ERS should work is by having to programme it in the practice sessions which then can be manually overridden in the race.  So I think that either the ERS practice program or the race practice program should look at the ERS input from the player and then that should be used as the default in the race.  So let’s say on the practice program you turn it to high in the main straight and then to low approaching the corner the car should then do this as default in the race (without further player input).  If you fail the practice program you have to manually adjust ERS more in the race otherwise you will either use too much or too little ERS (depending on how you failed the practice program).  With my approach you would need to keep online the same as there is no online practice mode that could be used.  This matches what the teams do for each GP with simulation and practice sessions in tuning ERS for each circuit.  When you hear Verstappen complaining about de-rating and the team saying they will look into it that is exactly what they are doing is tweaking the usage throughout the track.

The teams probably have the computer simulations on where to deploy throughout the lap to gain maximum reward based on driver throttle applications and gears from telemetry.

This would then be mapped against the amount of charge to be taken from the store and the amount of regen required for each mode.

e.g. Mode 0 gives max regen of store, some deployment (maximum net charge over 1 lap).

e.g. Mode 1 gives best regen of store with deployment (net charge but slower, maybe takes 5 laps to regen an empty store).

e.g. Mode 2 gives some regen and efficient deployment (net charge over a stint - however that long is depends on a tyre type).

e.g. Mode 3 gives little regen and better deployment (net drain over a stint - can't be used for the whole race).

e.g. Mode 4 gives no net regen and best deployment in overtaking zones (high drain, maybe store will be empty after 5 laps).

e.g. Mode 5 gives no net regen and ultimate deployment over the lap (maximum net drain over 1 lap).

This assumes the battery is working 100% effectively in charge and in deployment. 

I have simplified this to match the game settings, but the teams have many modes and engine maps, so they may use the battery primarily for torque assistance or for extra power to push the ICE towards the revlimiter in the high gears depending on track characteristics, cooling efficiency, fuel saving, etc.

• Thanks 1

I must say that I LOVE the idea with ERS management during racing. It adds a parameter that gives you a little advantage if you become good at it.

And actually, it simulates quite well the fact that real drivers use their wheel to tweak a lot of things when driving, and yes, they do it all the time during a session.

55 minutes ago, xdannil said:

I must say that I LOVE the idea with ERS management during racing. It adds a parameter that gives you a little advantage if you become good at it.

And actually, it simulates quite well the fact that real drivers use their wheel to tweak a lot of things when driving, and yes, they do it all the time during a session.

Depends on the driver, the characteristics of the car. Schumacher was the one for playing with all the tweaks the first technological wave brought. Driving has not been about the seat, wheel and pedals alone since.

Didn't help him a great deal in his comeback seasons. I believe he was always asking for more at Mercedes.

8 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

The teams probably have the computer simulations on where to deploy throughout the lap to gain maximum reward based on driver throttle applications and gears from telemetry.

This would then be mapped against the amount of charge to be taken from the store and the amount of regen required for each mode.

e.g. Mode 0 gives max regen of store, some deployment (maximum net charge over 1 lap).

e.g. Mode 1 gives best regen of store with deployment (net charge but slower, maybe takes 5 laps to regen an empty store).

e.g. Mode 2 gives some regen and efficient deployment (net charge over a stint - however that long is depends on a tyre type).

e.g. Mode 3 gives little regen and better deployment (net drain over a stint - can't be used for the whole race).

e.g. Mode 4 gives no net regen and best deployment in overtaking zones (high drain, maybe store will be empty after 5 laps).

e.g. Mode 5 gives no net regen and ultimate deployment over the lap (maximum net drain over 1 lap).

This assumes the battery is working 100% effectively in charge and in deployment. 

I have simplified this to match the game settings, but the teams have many modes and engine maps, so they may use the battery primarily for torque assistance or for extra power to push the ICE towards the revlimiter in the high gears depending on track characteristics, cooling efficiency, fuel saving, etc.

Agreed that it is not easy to simulate which is why my original reaction is not to change from the current system.  

• Agree 1

On 2/22/2020 at 2:47 PM, steviejay69 said:

THIS, would add so much depth and realism to the simulation of ERS.

Hope Codemasters takes notes from your post and from this thread.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

THIS, would add so much depth and realism to the simulation of ERS.

Hope Codemasters takes notes from your post and from this thread.

Thanks, but I was maybe oversimplifying how ERS should kind of work. The teams may give clues, but CM would be under NDA if they get any hints at all.

I'm glad you like it. I think working for an F1 team on something like this would be fascinating.

• Agree 1

Uhm,

since they are the OFFICIAL game, why don't ask THE TEAMS how it's done in real life. They need to scan the cars anyways, so why not ask how the OVERTAKE button works and how ERS deployment is actually beeing handled. Ofcourse I know it's trade secret, but this way they can make something as close to REAL as possible. 

why brainstorming if you have 10 teams at your disposal?