F1 2019 FOV values

Hello, I’ve searched around to see if this has already been answered, but I can’t find any reliable answers so hopefully y’all can help.

When adjusting camera settings in F1 2019 (PS4), what is the relationship between the FOV slider and actual FOV in degrees. I have my comfort zone setup in PCARS2 and would like to establish continuity, but I’m struggling to understand whether 1.00 means 100deg or what. 

Thanks for any help 

2 hours ago, rheckart11 said:

Hello, I’ve searched around to see if this has already been answered, but I can’t find any reliable answers so hopefully y’all can help.

When adjusting camera settings in F1 2019 (PS4), what is the relationship between the FOV slider and actual FOV in degrees. I have my comfort zone setup in PCARS2 and would like to establish continuity, but I’m struggling to understand whether 1.00 means 100deg or what. 

Thanks for any help 

In which camera mode are you running? And can Codemasters explain if it differs between views or why the value isn't in degrees? Great question.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

In which camera mode are you running? And can Codemasters explain if it differs between views or why the value isn't in degrees? Great question.

I’m running cockpit personally. Thanks

3 hours ago, pedrosdt said:

I use this calculator, hope it can help you

https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/

I’ve found this as well, though I haven’t even found any follow-up information from Codemasters that verifies it. My understanding is that the creator of that particular calculator did his/her best to approximate what he believed the numbers should be.  Thanks for the response regardless 

Hi mate.. 

I had my settings customised by myself and i feel a big improvement in my lap times and overall performance.. 

I had the fov / field of view values in - 0.50 and had adjust the vertical height to 0.20 and the horizontal to 0.60 

Clip pane in 1.00 and shake câmera on 50.. 

Angle on 0 (default) 

I am pretty happy with these settings. 

I am running on Xbox One in a single screen of 32" and 155 cm away from the screen. 

Hope helped you 

I've been looking at FoV as well.  It occurs to me that the starting point should be when the horizontal FoV matches the human eye cone central vision where the best 3D from binocular vision occurs.  This is between 50-60 degrees horizontally, to include the near peripheral vision.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_vision

So at https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html, I've moved my monitor, 27.5", until the horizontal angle is 55 degrees.  This equates to a monitor distance of 58.5cm.  I can't quite get that close due to current set up, but it is not too bad.

Having tried near 58.5cm, it is just too "busy"  So now at 70cm eye to screen, wheel rim to screen 25cm.  So although the central vision cone is 55 degrees, I reckon the actual cone that that you look at without eye movement/refocusing is quite a bit less.  Perhaps with age the central cone becomes narrower??

With cockpit view, I've moved horizontal so that the outside edges of the wing mirrors are on the edge of the screen and added a little vertical height as I think 0 is too low in cockpit in relation to halo rim.

Near Clip pane doesn't seem to do anything!!

• Thanks 1

So, been looking at this more. For my screen, 16:9, 27.5" and at 70cm from eye:

https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/ has for F1 2016/2017/+: -0.75. Is F1 2019 the same? 

If I use that I seem to be unnaturally well forward in the cockpit and only see the inside edges of the mirrors and tyre tops. 

And

https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html has for F1 2019: F1 (2019+) - 2.2. Which is impossible in the game settings!!

Well confused?? 

2 hours ago, thisdisplayname said:

https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/ has for F1 2016/2017/+: -0.75. Is F1 2019 the same? 

If I use that I seem to be unnaturally well forward in the cockpit and only see the inside edges of the mirrors and tyre tops. 

And

https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html has for F1 2019: F1 (2019+) - 2.2. Which is impossible in the game settings!!

Well confused?? 

For me the Best i found was - 0.50 of FOV.. After i setted the horizontal.. For me the 0.60 matches perfectly.. After increased a little the vertical to 0.20 and this week i put a - 0.20 angle.. I had drive a FRenault Car and the immersion its very similar with the settings i am using 

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 10:43 AM, Pin6all_Wizard said:

And

Well confused?? 

My calculator (the andyf.me one) shows -1.5 for the screen size and distance you mentioned here. As far as I know it's correct for F1 2019, as the values need doubling compared to 2018 and earlier. Did you uncheck the 'inches' box next to the distance slider?

As for the 'unnaturally well forward in the cockpit', that's to be expected when you use a 'realistic' FOV with a single normal-size 16:9 screen. Imagine that screen on your car's dashboard - what you see through it should match what you'd see in a game, and as you'd expect, it's quite limiting.

This makes me think I should add an option for different car types to use on the preview diagram, as it'd clear up some of this confusion. Maybe an F1 car and a rally car or something, in addition to the GT3 it has now?

screenshot-2020-05-29_13-34-39.png

Edited by caerphoto
  • Thanks 1

After further thoughts.  I understand that to get an accurate FoV the screen size should be the same in proportion as real world size. So a 2m high vertical post 10m away is approx 120mm high on a screen at 60cm away. A simple drawing can confirm that. Do these FoV calaculators achieve that??

A game should have a "FoV Check". One enters eye distance from screen and game displays a vertical bar on monitor.  The game knows all the details of the monitor from a file held in the monitor.

In this case, representing a 2m post at 10m, the gamer having entered 60cm eye distance, the game would display a vertical bar with the instruction to move a slider until the vertical bar measures 12cm on the screen. Angles, screen size and aspect ratio are then irrelevant.

Of course, on a small screen the FoV might be quite restrictive. 

I ran a much closer FOV for quite a while in cockpit view but after about 2 years ended up going back to the default as I found there was better visibility from the sides to see more of where the AI cars were or just general features around the track for judging braking better. It’s all personal preference but for me if I were to run a much closer FOV again then it would probably have to be on a widescreen or triple screen setup. 

Well on my road to immersion I used the calculators and also got values that cannot be used in game on andys calculator at 1.2. 

The other one had it a -0.55 which is doable but having just bought a beautiful 34 inch ultrawide curve to increase fov it very much decreases it.

Would trackir be a good idea?

As a (noob) player of F1 2019 on the XBox with a pad, do I need to be aware of these FOV values? For FOV should I be thinking about what driving  camera that I use?

I'm missing lots of corner apexes and just put it down to my bad driving technique. Could it be because I am using a bad driving cam or need to set one up?

Tobii Tracker 5 was released last week and I got one. For those that aren't aware, it is a head and eye tracker - so 2 functions and enables one to look past the normal screen and see an extended view.  The 4C was really only a head tracker.

I'm using it with F1 2019 on a Samsung 49" 32:9 monitor, which is bigger than the recommended size of 27-30".
It is impressive: sat in the garage I can look down at my knees and up at the garage roof. Left and right to almost over the shoulder. Just shows how much real estate there is available in the game.
Out driving it again is good but can do an annoying snap shift, so one can miss the apex of a critical corner and hairpin.
I'll try to fine tune it, but my initial thought is with an ultrawide using look to apex, it is probably unecessary but on a smaller monitor it could well be well worthwhile.
Comes with a 30 day return policy, so some fiddling to do.

I've now tried it on a 28" monitor and it is better but still has some annoying snaps.  I've tried sensitivity dialed down to 5,% the lowest setting, and still catches me out.  So on a ultrawide screen with max look to apex, it is unnecessary.  But on a smaller monitor it definitely has a purpose to give an extended view of the playing area.

Worth a look at, but mine is going back.

Haven't tried TrackIR and EdTracker.

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2020 at 10:18 PM, Scrogs said:

As a (noob) player of F1 2019 on the XBox with a pad, do I need to be aware of these FOV values? For FOV should I be thinking about what driving  camera that I use?

I'm missing lots of corner apexes and just put it down to my bad driving technique. Could it be because I am using a bad driving cam or need to set one up?

I think one needs to be in the FoV ballpark to get a reasonably accurate sense of real life perspective.  But I think the brain is adaptable and soon adapts to a not perfect perspective.

On my Samsung TV/Monitor 27.5" at a viewing distance of 60cm the 2019 FoV was -1.2, which is unachievable.  I used -0.25 as a compromise.  The insides of the Mercedes F1 mirrors were just on the screen edge, so 24" apart.

On the Samsung 49", which is essentially a double 27" screen, the FoV comes out at +0.6.  Which is strange as the screen vertical dimensions are the same.  The screen distance between mirror edges is now only 15".  But the perspective looks OK.  Think the mirror distance should be the same for both monitors.  Unless the game has changed the fore/aft position - so I'll check again.

So, I still think there is scope for a simple FoV check as I wrote above on May 29.

But, screen lag would definitely delay turn in and missing apexs, but again until you and brain adapt by picking slightly earlier turn in reference points.

I have found that 100+ FPS and responsive monitor has made a huge improvement - better FFB quality and better apexes.  Unless I'm improving which is unlikely!!

Edited by Pin6all_Wizard
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 3:33 PM, caerphoto said:

My calculator (the andyf.me one) shows -1.5 for the screen size and distance you mentioned here. As far as I know it's correct for F1 2019, as the values need doubling compared to 2018 and earlier. Did you uncheck the 'inches' box next to the distance slider?

As for the 'unnaturally well forward in the cockpit', that's to be expected when you use a 'realistic' FOV with a single normal-size 16:9 screen. Imagine that screen on your car's dashboard - what you see through it should match what you'd see in a game, and as you'd expect, it's quite limiting.

This makes me think I should add an option for different car types to use on the preview diagram, as it'd clear up some of this confusion. Maybe an F1 car and a rally car or something, in addition to the GT3 it has now?

screenshot-2020-05-29_13-34-39.png

Do I understand correctly that the quoted calculator has been created by you? How'd you calculate the values for F1 2019?

I have a 50" screen about 40" away, depending on my head movements. The calculator says I should be running a FOV of -1, but that's just.. impossible. With that FOV the whole view seems completely off and there isn't a chance of seeing the selected gear, ERS or any of that - just the top of the wheel (which is much bigger than my overlapping physical wheel with these settings).

The values change with different cars and it's annoying AF. Anyways, my sweet spot seems to be around -0.45 with some positive vertical offset depending on the car. I try to make it so that I would at least see the upper edge of the selected gear from behind my wheel while driving. Such a big help in heavy braking zones.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:20 PM, Pin6all_Wizard said:

I've been looking at FoV as well.  It occurs to me that the starting point should be when the horizontal FoV matches the human eye cone central vision where the best 3D from binocular vision occurs.  This is between 50-60 degrees horizontally, to include the near peripheral vision.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_vision

So at https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html, I've moved my monitor, 27.5", until the horizontal angle is 55 degrees.  This equates to a monitor distance of 58.5cm.  I can't quite get that close due to current set up, but it is not too bad.

Having tried near 58.5cm, it is just too "busy"  So now at 70cm eye to screen, wheel rim to screen 25cm.  So although the central vision cone is 55 degrees, I reckon the actual cone that that you look at without eye movement/refocusing is quite a bit less.  Perhaps with age the central cone becomes narrower??

With cockpit view, I've moved horizontal so that the outside edges of the wing mirrors are on the edge of the screen and added a little vertical height as I think 0 is too low in cockpit in relation to halo rim.

Near Clip pane doesn't seem to do anything!!

I haven't noticed any effect with Near Clip pane either. To be honest I don't even know what to look for. Interesting point you made about eye movements. When I changed to a 50" monitor and adjusted my FOV I noticed I'm moving my eyes a lot during driving, but never thought it really a bad thing. Here's an interesting clip of Keving Magnussen's eye movements while driving a sim:

On 4/17/2020 at 3:32 AM, CarlosSantos87 said:

Hi mate.. 

I had my settings customised by myself and i feel a big improvement in my lap times and overall performance.. 

I had the fov / field of view values in - 0.50 and had adjust the vertical height to 0.20 and the horizontal to 0.60 

Clip pane in 1.00 and shake câmera on 50.. 

Angle on 0 (default) 

I am pretty happy with these settings. 

I am running on Xbox One in a single screen of 32" and 155 cm away from the screen. 

Hope helped you 

What effect do you notice with camera shake? I'd always had it at 35 until yesterday. It's much harder to brake and turn-in from the top of an outside kerb from cockpit cam than it is from the T-Cam, because of the violent shaking of the camera. I thought putting camera shake to 0 would remove that, but it didn't.

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, janbonator said:

Do I understand correctly that the quoted calculator has been created by you? How'd you calculate the values for F1 2019?

Yes, I made it. Honestly, the F1 2019 values are based on reports from other users, who say the values need to be doubled compared to ’18 and prior, so if they are indeed incorrect, I apologise, but I have no means of verifying it myself since I don't own any of the F1 games. (maybe I'll pick one up at some point, so I can be sure)

I have a 50" screen about 40" away, depending on my head movements. The calculator says I should be running a FOV of -1, but that's just.. impossible. With that FOV the whole view seems completely off and there isn't a chance of seeing the selected gear, ERS or any of that - just the top of the wheel (which is much bigger than my overlapping physical wheel with these settings).

Honestly, what you're describing sounds about right for a 34° vertical FOV – it is indeed quite limiting, and you'll have a hard time seeing what's around you. It's merely accurate to what you'd get if you could only see out of a 50” diagonal frame sat on your car's nose, i.e. rather restricting. You can see why sim racers are so keen on ultrawides, triples and VR: they give you the benefit of a visually accurate field of view, without the downside of such restricted peripheral vision. A standard monitor or TV is just not going to give a good experience unless it's really close to your face.

Anyways, my sweet spot seems to be around -0.45 with some positive vertical offset depending on the car. I try to make it so that I would at least see the upper edge of the selected gear from behind my wheel while driving. Such a big help in heavy braking zones.

Even though I made the calculator, I’m not a FOV zealot. Use whatever you feel comfortable with, I only provide the tool if you want to try using a mathematically accurate FOV. If you prefer more spatial awareness, or a more immersive feel, or just like looking at your car’s cockpit, that’s perfectly fine by me.

Edited by caerphoto
fix typos and clarify wording
  • Thanks 1

Hey @caerphoto,

by your above message, do you mean that the values your calculator currently produces are already correct for F1 2019(and 2020), or that we need to double the values as the calculator still calculates F1 2018 values?

On 8/20/2020 at 2:50 PM, Worthingtonio said:

Hey @caerphoto,

by your above message, do you mean that the values your calculator currently produces are already correct for F1 2019(and 2020), or that we need to double the values as the calculator still calculates F1 2018 values?

The value labelled 'F1(2019+)' should be usable as-is, no doubling necessary. The value labelled just 'F1' is for 2018 and earlier.

Now that you mention it, I should really update it so the 2019+ value is just 'F1', and the <2018 one is something like 'F1( < 2018)'.