Sign in to follow this  

The single player championship is so difficult!

Which is surely a good thing!  

I've been tackling the single player championship and have finally managed to win it.  It's got to the one of the toughest I've played in a racing game but at the same time so much fun.  Even though Dirt is early access, this really is a great game.

I came 1st in Monaco, 2nd in Greece and 1st In Wales.  I had the assists off except for automatic gears, as I don't think my brain could keep up with manual using the Group B cars! :)

Has anyone else managed to win the championship?  If so did you find it as tough as I did?

Congratulations! At first the initial challenge driving the Mini without any Upgrades was quite tough, but as soon as you unlock advanced setup, fine tune the car and get accustomed to its handling it gets easier.
Now, i've just won the Professional Championship in Group B class using a controller. No assists, manual shifting and launch control.
Wales was quite a challenge, but after some more upgrades and a bit of setup testing it was a walk in the park really.
The high-speed stuff is quite hard to manage with the limited steering range of a controller as you're constantly trailing around the sweet spot. With a wheel i'm around ten seconds / stage faster.

Even the Open division is no push-over. I like that. Even better is how the "trash" starts upping their game as I go up through the ranks, rather than just the leaders getting better. It forces me to stay on my A-game, no matter what division or class I'm racing in.

The challenge is good. It means you actually have to drive your vehicle like a rally car in order to win. You have to take risks, drive over the grip limit and read the pace notes. It's not impossible to beat the AI, it just requires a solid run at 100% effort - and if it was easier, it would get old really fast.

Even the Open division is no push-over. I like that. Even better is how the "trash" starts upping their game as I go up through the ranks, rather than just the leaders getting better. It forces me to stay on my A-game, no matter what division or class I'm racing in.
From what I've noticed from watching names, it looks like each driver has their own strengths and weaknesses regarding what cars they're good at driving as well as overall skill (driving and 'not crashing'). Really cool stuff, it'd be interesting to see what's really going on if anyone from Codemasters is interested in talking about it.

I didn't find the first few championships too bad, but the professional one was very difficult to win and the masters one... very very difficult to win!

I didn't have a chance to win the open championship, as there was one driver constantly on top and I couldn't beat him. But I came in second or third and got promoted. Then in clubman, every one of the topdrivers had at least one DNF and I could have won the championship easily... Of course, I crashed, too. On the last stage... I was so frustrated that in the next championship, I had three DNF's myself. Three! So it was back to open again. Strange, but I have to admit, I kinda like it...

Nice, I won a championship with the 60 Lancia and now I'm trying to win one with the 70s Lancia. It is definitely not easy, which is why it's so fun

its not that hard you just need to practice !

for eg here is a run on monaco professional lvl 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdcXtXGooNc

i ended up winning by 17 secs on one track.when i first played i was a bit like the op but with practice now destroying tracks and times. breaking pb times daily.

The game is hard.In the first week i was driving very slow to avoid crashing and after a week of practice i started to brake less and accelerate more.

I love it, be it I'm on a twitchy controller and not using my DK2 + My sim rig, so I may eventually want a more brutal challenge. Although I've yet to win :)

Yesterday I managed to beat Group B Championship on Elite difficulty, it was quite the challenge, currently struggling on Master, I managed to finish Greece event in 2nd place, but with about 1:40 seconds behind the leader, I pushed the car really hard (although I haven't upgraded it yet) but the only way I can upgrade it is by racing it in career, and since I done all daily / weekly and monthly challenges, I don't see any other way to keep progressing.
So yeah, Master: Greece 2nd / Wales -- / Monaco -- I wonder if I'm able to actually win the championship, maybe the number one might be worse in the other events.

But the game is really REALLY tough, especially on Master.

I think I've won four master championships now, and I'm about to do a 5th. It's a great way to upgrade the cars. I find it's only difficult in the 2010 cars as I lost about 15 seconds on average per stage in Monte. Don't really know why, but I suspect it has something to do with my inability to drive properly in something with that much grip - so I stay away from those cars. They're just silly.¨When discarding the championship for losing so massively, it demoted me back to the previous difficulty... served me right I guess.

I did also only manage a 2nd place in Monte when doing the championship with the grp. A Subaru. I like Monte, but I can't seem to go quick there!

Had a good run with the 2010 Fiesta in Masters last night and ended up in 1st for the Wales championship. Very satisfying it was.

Will take a bite outta Greece tonight, it's going to be rough but wanna have that first complete Masters win now that my Fiesta is fully upgraded.