Sign in to follow this  

I've been your DiRT community manager for the last two years - Ask Me Anything

Oscar97 said:
Azoresst said:
justbiglee said:

Cars - looking at the list I like to think we've got pretty much everything most people would ask for. It's not impossible to add new cars it all boils down to the licensing and time really, building it is one thing, us being allowed to use it is another.
Is there any chance to put different names on the cars like RUF (Porsche)? Or it's beyond that?
RUF is a real manufacturer.
RUF is being widely used as a Porsche replacement in all kind of racing games. EA doesn't own their licence.

Azoresst said:
justbiglee said:

Cars - looking at the list I like to think we've got pretty much everything most people would ask for. It's not impossible to add new cars it all boils down to the licensing and time really, building it is one thing, us being allowed to use it is another.

Can you tell us more about this tweet?
https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/581604724631302144

And what about the #108?
https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/585790677734260736
The top tweet was our times up the Tarmac version of Pikes Peak, I did not have a good run.

The bottom one was part of our hours till launch countdown that we bottled when @GentleNameMVB clocked it.

@justbiglee Will we see Landrush in the future abd ive already mentioned it in the feedback thread :)
Again that's kinda up to you guys and where the game goes, we're focusing on Rally, Hillclimb and Rallycross for now but should the game have a future nothing is off the cards yet.

Hello, i just would like to ask how big are chances that, you guys will make a PS4 version of this amazing game. 

Thanks in advance ! 

Pinowrc said:
Hello, i just would like to ask how big are chances that, you guys will make a PS4 version of this amazing game. 

Thanks in advance ! 
Only if the game is successful.

How directly do the dev guys see the forums usually? Like, I do Q/A and testing for a software company, so I know that it can be really frustrating for the programmers when all they hear is "what about this? this is terrible. can you add in [this feature that sounds easy but would take months to implement].", etc. And to be honest I see a LOT of that here, which I feel bad about and try to avoid doing personally, but it still happens of course, so I'm just curious if they read a lot of it and get kinda frustrated, or if because it's Early Access and you expected this, it's easier to swallow. 

One more question: what are the odds on livery support in the finished game... 50/50? I'd take 50/50 :smile: 

WHAT IF you created a thread asking everyone to submit any car they like, noting down every single one, then set up a poll allowing everyone to vote on the their favourites?
Maybe 10 votes each or something so they don't just pick everything and choose their actual favourites. This would let you and the team know exactly which car the community actually want.

Obviously state that its not a guarantee, since you can't get license for everything, but it might help in a theoretical situation where you have a budget for say 1 more car, but 5 to choose from; this lets you know the one to choose :)

Maybe its a silly idea...
What if you guys did it?

Is there any chance of a Xsara, a Focus, a 307/206, a Lancer EVO, an i20 or a Polo R? Kinda vague, but I'd love to see at least a Polo R, an i20 and a DS3!
Few of them are on the production line already... I won't say which ones. ;)

Could you give us an idea how many people worked on DiRT Rally (and its previous incarnations) at various stages of the project

Top of my head I can't think of a number - few hundred, I would suggest watching the credits, they are all there I think (and you'll get an achievement)

And how many guys do you have working on it now? 

errrrr again I don't know, pretty much everybody in Southam is bar the Overlord Studio. Then their is our art studio in Kuala Lumpur but they work on all our games - few hundred? 

Are any new cars or stages being modelled right now?

Yup, Pikes Peak is getting its finishing touches this week. Germany is being worked on... They are kind of all being worked on to be honest. Sweden is in the earliest stages of development and I had a go on that yesterday. It's a lot faster than I was expecting and very cool. As for cars again yes, I can't name names yet but there are some good ones.

Will the orange DiRT Rally notebooks be available for order? :)

I suggested that we should be selling stuff like this on our Codemasters Store rather than copies of the games, maybe one day. Those of you who got your name in the credits will all be getting a swag bundle as soon as I can find the time to sort it all out. 

How would you describe the overall reaction of the players to the DiRT Rally and what would be your favourite/most trusted source of player 'reviews'? Or would every channel of communcations matter the same?

Overall reaction has been amazing, couldn't be happier. Most trusted source of reviews... You guys, don't get me wrong we are over the moon with how well its gone down but ultimately we built this for you.

How did the DiRT team celebrate the launch and the positive reception of DiRT Rally? DiRTy Loves?

We did a livestream :P - Still yet to go out for DiRTy loves :/ 

@justbiglee - you're the Beyonce of the gaming industry! :O 

Beyonce is the justbiglee of the music industry 

What other marketing/promotion ideas did you have that didn't come to fruition? What was in the previous versions of the DiRT Marketing Master Plan you were presenting to the team?

I did everything I wanted to do, and if you think launch was big oh man you should see what I'm planning for the summer! Since launch I've had this idea that involves Bruce Springsteen, Liam Doran, Petter Solberg, a stage at a convention centre and a butt load of fireworks... I've pitched the idea, we'll see what comes back.

Anths95 said:
How directly do the dev guys see the forums usually? Like, I do Q/A and testing for a software company, so I know that it can be really frustrating for the programmers when all they hear is "what about this? this is terrible. can you add in [this feature that sounds easy but would take months to implement].", etc. And to be honest I see a LOT of that here, which I feel bad about and try to avoid doing personally, but it still happens of course, so I'm just curious if they read a lot of it and get kinda frustrated, or if because it's Early Access and you expected this, it's easier to swallow. 

I'll be totally honest... At the moments I think the devs spend more time looking at the forums than I do these last few week's. I'm so busy with so much on I just can't keep up with everything. 

At any one point in time I could stand in the middle of studio and see most people with this place, twitter, facebook, reddit open looking to see what you are all saying. It's cool because they help me out, I get emails all the time saying "hey Lee have you seen this ...."

One more question: what are the odds on livery support in the finished game... 50/50? I'd take 50/50 :smile: 

This is on you guys, I would love to  see us add mod support and do proper Steam Workshop integration for this and stuff like co-driver calls etc. If you guys really wan't Steam workshop support you need to make as much noise as you can and let us know. Drop it in the suggestion box if you haven't already and get people to vote on it

789ifyz said:
On a more serious note:

Those cars that were tweeted, the one's on their own with backgrounds 'n' stuff... was that you guys getting excited about the new cars/liveries in the new Rally and Rallycross and other chapionship seasons or are you planning on modelling them and adding them to the game?

Also, will the PvP pack include LAN and Splitscreen multiplayer (I think it's safe to assume it does but a confirmation would still be appreciated) and if so, how many players could play together on splitscreen/LAN?
Can't remember off the top of my head, I think its the usual Rallycross grid (6 or 8?) I'll find out for you tomorrow. (if we've even decided yet)

How many more locations are going to be released? Will they be dlc?

WRC Rally on the PS2 had 20 locations with 6 stages per.

And,  finally,  if 42 is the answer,  what is the question ❓ 

(you said "ask me anything".....!) 

Ginginho said:

Did the work experience lad's game mode suggestion make it? ;)

I forgot what is was, he did that stuff with @Hatward  and #RossGowing I think.

xGabe62x said:
How many more locations are going to be released? Will they be dlc?

WRC Rally on the PS2 had 20 locations with 6 stages per.

And,  finally,  if 42 is the answer,  what is the question ❓ 

(you said "ask me anything".....!) 
Check out the timeline on dirtgame.com for details on all the locations :) We've not got numbers to share yet because they are still being built :) (but its quite a lot)

when is there likely to be a decision if dirt rally game is coming to consoles?????????

I keep saying this but again thats up to you guys. If you want it make as much noise as you can!!!!

when is there likely to be a decision if dirt rally game is coming to consoles?????????

I keep saying this but again thats up to you guys. If you want it make as much noise as you can!!!!

fair enough, I been banging the drums since the early access was released but I think a lot of the people on here want it exclusively on pc. cheers for the quick reply tho :-) 

While we do have an idea of how long it takes to make a stage. But how long does it take to make a car?

I also had a question about the sweden rally. Do you know if it will be based on the modern wrc round which includes some stages in Norway? 

fair enough, I been banging the drums since the early access was released but I think a lot of the people on here want it exclusively on pc. cheers for the quick reply tho :-) 
It is an unfortunate tendency with some elements of the hard-core community it seems. Why would the game also being available on console bother them?

Ginginho said:

Did the work experience lad's game mode suggestion make it? ;)

I forgot what is was, he did that stuff with @Hatward  and #RossGowing I think.

l know what it was but not who he worked with. It was related to hill climbs although, tbh, I'm not sure it fits with the game's initial direction!

Ginginho said:

It is an unfortunate tendency with some elements of the hard-core community it seems. Why would the game also being available on console bother them?
It doesn't appear on it's own. It takes resources that sim enthusiasts would rather wish be spent improving the game. Furthermore it limits the PC version- it doesn't make much sense to implement stuff like mod support if consoles won't be using it.

SamRWD said:
It doesn't appear on it's own. It takes resources that sim enthusiasts would rather wish be spent improving the game. Furthermore it limits the PC version- it doesn't make much sense to implement stuff like mod support if consoles won't be using it.

I'd imagine that this would be down to mgmt deciding whether the potential sales would justify the effort over and above everything else. Console-playing Codies fans are rightly concerned.

Regards mods, every other title seems to manage just fine!