Sign in to follow this  

I've been your DiRT community manager for the last two years - Ask Me Anything

Will Sweden have any IRL stage? I hope you nail the speed and high grip studded tires pprovide. Also the leaning on snow banks :)

would it be possible to add Nicky Grist or Derek Ringer as co pilot voices?sorry if allready asked :) just being a bit nostalgic :)

Can you please tell us something more about how many different Hillclimb and Rallycross tracks/locations there will be in the final game? 
Also, do you plan on adding more full stagse to the locations that already exist?
Just one lil' more thing: Pretty please, make DiRT Rally on the PS4!!!
THX!

Can you please tell us something more about how many different Hillclimb and Rallycross tracks/locations there will be in the final game? 
Also, do you plan on adding more full stagse to the locations that already exist?
THX!
Pikes peak is the hillclimb track.

When it will be fixed the problem with changing the livery on cars with a gamepad or steering wheel?With keyboard i can change it but  when i play with a steering wheel i cant change it(i pressed all the button's that exist).I heard that a lot of people have this issue.
Have you tried the paddle shifters? Which wheel are you using?
I own a Hama Thunder V18.I know it sucks but i really enjoy this game playing with it.I tried all of the buttons from it and even paddle shifters and still cant change the liveries.

Job3kk said:
What about this photo? Can we expect these cars in the future? Will be OOOSOM.
http://puu.sh/hOuGG/fe6a46dfb4.jpg 

That was our wishlist/something to just brighten the office up a bit. It's unlikely we'll get all of those cars in but we should finish with a pretty big selection still :)

Well, that's dropped my excitement for this game a bit of a notch. Was hoping that was the list you had in mind. It was so well organized and matched the in-game classes, I thought that was actually your plan. Please do try your best to see it through, I would have zero complaints about the car list if you got what was on that wall in.

Also, as someone already asked, the Mini Countryman you have in-game is nothing more than a concept. Do you have plans to replace it with the actual Countryman WRC that competed (the final version by Prodrive)?

Also, what do you personally think about having all cars fully upgraded from the beginning in Custom Event? I personally feel Custom Event should give the players who just want to drive their favorite cars, the freedom to do so, without spending time they (probably) don't have to unlock said upgrades. You know, give players the freedom to choose how to play. I already posted this on the suggestions forum.

Also, as someone already asked, the Mini Countryman you have in-game is nothing more than a concept. Do you have plans to replace it with the actual Countryman WRC that competed (the final version by Prodrive)?

Also, what do you personally think about having all cars fully upgraded from the beginning in Custom Event? I personally feel Custom Event should give the players who just want to drive their favorite cars, the freedom to do so, without spending time they (probably) don't have to unlock said upgrades. You know, give players the freedom to choose how to play. I already posted this on the suggestions forum.

It's no secret that in developing DiRT Rally the team had to try and use as much of DiRT 3 assets as possible to save on cost. I know it would have been nice to have the Mini WRC as it appeared on stages, but wouldn't you rather have the team spend money and time (both are limited...) on brand new cars/tracks?

What if that time was spend modelling and developing other modern WRC cars such as the VW Polo R, Citroen DS3 or Hyundai i20? Or previous generations of the WRC cars?

To my mind that would add more to the game compared to revising spoilers on the Mini.

As to your last paragraph I agree with you - please give us a chance to use the cars at their best in Custom Events or allow the player to pick the level of upgrades he'd like to play in Custom Events.

It's no secret that in developing DiRT Rally the team had to try and use as much of DiRT 3 assets as possible to save on cost. I know it would have been nice to have the Mini WRC as it appeared on stages, but wouldn't you rather have the team spend money and time (both are limited...) on brand new cars/tracks?

What if that time was spend modelling and developing other modern WRC cars such as the VW Polo R, Citroen DS3 or Hyundai i20? Or previous generations of the WRC cars?

To my mind that would add more to the game compared to revising spoilers on the Mini.
In my personal view, the Mini Countryman that ran the stages is a brand new car. I must confess, of all the modern WRC machines, it is my least favorite, and, honestly, I wouldn't feel it's absence. I would rather them remove any concept cars (like the Mini they currently have) and focus more on cars that actually competed, after all, would you rather have a car designed for a showroom, or ones designed for the challenge of a rally stage?

Custom Championships

Rebalance the difficulty (open is too hard)

In my personal view, the Mini Countryman that ran the stages is a brand new car. I must confess, of all the modern WRC machines, it is my least favorite, and, honestly, I wouldn't feel it's absence. I would rather them remove any concept cars (like the Mini they currently have) and focus more on cars that actually competed, after all, would you rather have a car designed for a showroom, or ones designed for the challenge of a rally stage?
They already had the license for the Concept version from DiRT 3 and so i would guess they couldn't get the license for the newer version and had to use that version instead.

They already had the license for the Concept version from DiRT 3 and so i would guess they couldn't get the license for the newer version and had to use that version instead.
I don't think licensing works that way. Remember, DiRT 3 was launched almost 4 years ago. Considering the average production time of most racing games, it's unlikely they're still using the same license. Just because you've been given permission to use X car in X game doesn't automatically give you authorization to use it in any future titles you may release. Most likely, they had to get the license again.

Please forgive me me if this has been mentioned, I had an update for my siminstruments display which included an update for this game but it doesn't work when i go into the game, is their something i have to turn on in the game options?.

THX!
Yeah man, I kown that pikes peak is coming, but is it the only track to be in the "Hillclimb Season" ? Or will there be another tracks like, for example, Kelowna, Simola or Race to the Sky?

2) Depends what people want and how successful the game is. Adding more stage to the ones we have is easier and quicker than building a whole new location.

5) I'm keeping that stuff close to my chest for now, you'll have to see what I let slip between now and then ;)
I can't believe I'd missed this thread up until now; thanks very much for some of the informative answers in here.

I would be intrigued to know more about how licensing works, especially with regards to reusing one model in two games. Also, are there any manufacturers that you've approached who don't play ball (not asking you to name names).?

Finally about this subject, for now, can you tell us if there are any plans to include rally cars (not RX cars) not previously seen in DiRT games? No worries if not and perfectly understandable if you can't say, but thought I'd ask.

sloty said:
Please forgive me me if this has been mentioned, I had an update for my siminstruments display which included an update for this game but it doesn't work when i go into the game, is their something i have to turn on in the game options?.
As far as we know then yes @justbiglee anymore info regarding different Hillclimb tracks or is it just Pikes peak?

Fixed the problem, I had to change a line in the config file.

THX!
Yeah man, I kown that pikes peak is coming, but is it the only track to be in the "Hillclimb Season" ? Or will there be another tracks like, for example, Kelowna, Simola or Race to the Sky?
As for hillclimb it's just Pikes at the moment

RodgerDavies said:

2) Depends what people want and how successful the game is. Adding more stage to the ones we have is easier and quicker than building a whole new location.

5) I'm keeping that stuff close to my chest for now, you'll have to see what I let slip between now and then ;)
I can't believe I'd missed this thread up until now; thanks very much for some of the informative answers in here.

I would be intrigued to know more about how licensing works, especially with regards to reusing one model in two games. Also, are there any manufacturers that you've approached who don't play ball (not asking you to name names).?

Finally about this subject, for now, can you tell us if there are any plans to include rally cars (not RX cars) not previously seen in DiRT games? No worries if not and perfectly understandable if you can't say, but thought I'd ask.
Licencing is really complicated, i'll be honest I don't fully understand it but it basically works along the lines of (and this is a dumbed down version) us asking a manufacturers if we can use a car, they say yes or no and let us know how much it will cost, we go away and make the car then show it to them, they might ask us us to make changes then the car goes into the game. If we then want to use the car in screenshots and marketing that's a whole other set of approvals. 

It gets slightly more complicated when its something like a the Ford Fiesta WRC because that car belongs to both Ford and M-Sport. Then with the historic cars it gets even more complicated when you start including the real world historic liveries and every sponsor that is on the car needs to be licensed too.

Licencing is really complicated, i'll be honest I don't fully understand it but it basically works along the lines of (and this is a dumbed down version) us asking a manufacturers if we can use a car, they say yes or no and let us know how much it will cost, we go away and make the car then show it to them, they might ask us us to make changes then the car goes into the game. If we then want to use the car in screenshots and marketing that's a whole other set of approvals. 

It gets slightly more complicated when its something like a the Ford Fiesta WRC because that car belongs to both Ford and M-Sport. Then with the historic cars it gets even more complicated when you start including the real world historic liveries and every sponsor that is on the car needs to be licensed too.

I wonder if a lawyer invented licensing like this?  You pay us for you to advertise our product.  Sounds like a roadmap to a political career to me.  :joy: 

Bluestig said:
Does licensing restrict car damage?
Yeah but that's true of all car games. The short version is most manufacturers don't want people smashing their cars/brand up. Which is totally fine. We can't do anything that a car wouldn't do in the real world but then there are limitations too. As a loose rule we're not allowed to smash any further in than the engine block but that differs from car to car.

Personally I think we're one of the best at damage, try and mess a car up in Forza (or any other game) and its rare that you'll be able to smash them up more than you can in one of our games   

You're true about being one of the best at damage. Even project cars has abysmal damage compared to Grid etc.  I also noticed in grid 2 that the audi rs5 used to have kind of scripted damage whereas all other cars had dynamic damage.

Not sure if its been asked before so sorry if it has

1) What was the reason for not including a detailed interior for GRID Autosport

2) And will you ever look at creating a true simulation of grid like you have done with dirt? Would love to see that :) 

@justbiglee Does Codemasters have a target figure for DiRT rally for it to be a hit or not?
The money men will yes (I don't know what it is) but as far as I'm concerned it's a hit already, I'd like to think you guys agree with me on that.

Not sure if its been asked before so sorry if it has

1) What was the reason for not including a detailed interior for GRID Autosport

2) And will you ever look at creating a true simulation of grid like you have done with dirt? Would love to see that :) 
1) Let it go man

2) Don't know sorry, we're not really thinking passed DiRT Rally and F1 at the moment.