Sign in to follow this  

F1 2021 Career Mode Ideas

It's getting late in the development to add anything not already being worked on; and frankly 2021 will be the next game I get of the franchise unless something mind blowing comes out in the 2020 game. (I'm still not very far in 2019, but loving it.)  But anyway since other threads are full and talking 2020 I thought I'd start fresh with and with mostly ideas for career mode.

• Give the player options of a Short-Medium-Long career mode play through.

Short- straight to F1 and player chooses any team.

Medium- Basically the 2019 career mode with the story mode F2 season with more scenarios. (5 vs. 3 or something) Have the players results in the previous scenarios effect the final Championship scenario                            instead of coming in tied on points regardless of the players results in the previous 2 events. Player can pick any F1 team; contracts affected by performance in the story mode.

Long- Career starts with a story mode rookie year of F2 with 6-8 scenarios where players results affect the next scenario.  At the end of this story mode the player will then run a full season of F2.  Results                        from that season and driver academy will then affect what rides are made available; but you are basically guaranteed to not be with a top team.

• Cut scenes extended throughout the career in Medium and Long careers.  Interaction with Weber and Butler (or whomever if character names are changed with I'd be pro so there's one less element of just repeat process from previous games.
        In long career you should have several cut scenes during your full season of F2
        In both medium and long careers you should have a "good number" of cut scenes your rookie year of F1 to keep the banter going and make the player care about the story more.
        In both medium and long careers there should be sporadic cut scenes all the way throughout career mode whenever there is a direct battle or incident with the story mode drivers; not 100% replacing the        news clippings but adding to. (Makes news clippings more interesting in your mind when you know real interaction is still a possibility.)

• Cut scenes with real F1 drivers.  Perhaps set up a few to use in F1 rookie year, with an interaction with your new F1 team mate before FP1 in Australia, and a few drivers throughout with encouragement or frustration depending on your driving style.  Then after rookie year, be much more rare but possible if there was an incident that caused some sort of major damage.

• Player getting a voice and getting to choose between different lines of dialog in the cut scenes with the story mode characters. (To decrease amount of dialog needed to be recorded from real F1 drivers, maybe make only dialog options for player in confrontation with real world driver is at end of the scene to be apologetic or passive. 

• Calendar changes.  Allow dates to swap between tracks in career mode to reduce some of the repetitiveness of multi seasons in career mode.  Make an option for there to be track swaps and if player selects yes, then maybe a (recent) historical track may replace a race on the calendar.  Like maybe Hockenheim comes back on the schedule and replaces Russia.  Or maybe Malaysia replaces China, etc.  Additionally maybe it could be an option that even if the player selects yes, they can still pick their 3-5 favorite circuits and those circuits will then become safe from being replaced in their career mode.

• Practice programs.  I know that some are complaining about how they have been the same for several years; but as a first year player they are great and I'm not sure how you could make those better.  HOWEVER perhaps in your 1st year of F1 you have the full current practice modes; but in future season you actually simplify them in parts check, Q run, race pace as the mandatory sessions to get full R&D points.  Have the Track acclamation, separate fuel run, separate tire run, all be 100% optional with no penalty for failing to complete after season one EXCEPT, when their is a new circuit then perhaps all programs become mandatory in order to get full R&D points. 

• Fast forward glitch.  This has been a legacy glitch that the AI, especially later in career modes, find extraordinary speed during sim times of when the player fast forwards or ends a session early or even just in the garage.  This needs to be addressed in the next 2 games 100% (hopefully fixed for 2020) Make their sim times match what the cars are actually able to do when played through in real time!

• Custom weather.  I personally love realistic and random weather; but unfortunately the random isn't always realistic as sometimes the player gets hammered with lots of rain races in a row.  So giving the player the option that can be adjusted for each weekend to change the weather to 'Realistic, Random, Dry, Wet, Mixed' to adjust some of that out of the game would be great.  And it also gives an option to some players (perhaps younger) that just want a dry career.  Maybe some want punishment and want to be wet all the time. (Note in my mind the difference in Realistic weather and Random weather in the menu would be Realistic would be a weight number generator based on location and time of year of what the weather most likely would be.  Random would be an even chance number generator for any weather event to occur.  So Bahrain could be heavy rain as easily as clear and sunny; while realistically chance of rain vs sun is incredibly low)

• A different Lead Engineer for each team (different Jeff's).  It's a small thing that breaks immersion of realism that no matter where you go Jeff tags along.  I know it would be a pain to have 10 different voice actors do the same engineer lines; but it would certainly add something for the player as you would feel more like you truly moved teams. (Maybe if you can hire a voice after that does... well, voices, that actor could voice 5-6 different accents and characters for the game and not be the cost of hiring separate actors..)

• Livery updates season to season.  I know this probably something incredibly hard to get approved, but if the liveries of the cars could change, even slightly from season to season the game would continue to feel fresh.

• Deteriorating AI driver attributes.  The AI drivers rankings should change in career mode based on age at start of career mode and then change each year.  Meaning if a drivers peak driving age statistically is 30 (idk if true but find that age best to build into the game) drivers in career mode under 30 should get better each season, peaking at 30 if they reach that in the 10 year career, and then once you hit 30 your AI rankings start to slowly decrease.  With the cars changing performance, and the drivers changing performance each season would be exciting and could drive more interesting driver transfers.  I think the idea originally with driver transfers was to have Lewis and other fall down the field.  But instead Lewis was always the best driver so he transferred to what ever car was the best no matter where it started out on the game. (Before the logic was adjusted)  So if Lewis is getting slightly worse maybe you can't just always stay in what ever the best car is and you can go back a little bit on the logic to get more driver moves.

• Driver retirements.  Have some of the older drivers retire (player choice yes or no) after 2 seasons and then "randomly" throughout the career mode and replaced with real life F2 drivers.

• Driver confidence.  Perhaps have a driver confidence rating that slightly boosts from their total AI rating if they do things like score points in a car in the lower half of the grid, podium in a car not in the top 3 best on paper, or finish above projected position for multiple weeks in a row.  Take away from their total AI rating is they have DNF, have a crash, don't score points in a top half of the grid car, etc.  This affecting their performance would be true to real life, add effect not just tied to the car.  HOWEVER for this to not just end up being an infinite loop of confidence, or loop of losing confidence this feature would need to be tied to:
  • Car-track compatibility rankings.  Each car should not just be ranked overall, but would be ranked track to track and maybe Ferrari would be best ranked car for Monza and Spa, while Red Bull is especially good at the street circuits, and Mercedes is good at both and especially excels at everything in between.  There's already a lot of levels that play into car ranking that should make this easy to tap into, I just think it needs to be more profound so that a driver in the #1 car can't just get the "big head" and become unbeatable.  As their car will eventually mis-match a circuit and likely put an end to their gaining confidence; or their car is good at a track and breaks their streak of losing confidence.  VERY important these 2 would be in tandem. 
Edited by brsteg
Some how thread posted before complete. Is now what I want it to be
  • Like 1

Just want to add a comment to bump this thread since it needed to be edited from it's original state.

Idk if this is frowned upon, but I'm going to bump once more (and I promise only once more) simply because I was hoping to get feedback from other game players.

I know these aren't all new ideas, but some I haven't heard before.. and just wanted to know if you guys liked some, hated some, or just anything in between.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:18 PM, brsteg said:

Cut scenes with real F1 drivers.  Perhaps set up a few to use in F1 rookie year, with an interaction with your new F1 team mate before FP1 in Australia, and a few drivers throughout with encouragement or frustration depending on your driving style.  Then after rookie year, be much more rare but possible if there was an incident that caused some sort of major damage.

Great post. I love the idea of the Long Career mode.  One thing, as much as I absolutely love the idea of existing drivers having cinematics and interacting with the player, it would cost a fortune to get all those drivers to come in and record lines.

And now that 2020 has a create a team mode, it would be pretty neat to have something similar to the long career idea for a create and manage team mode. In it you could interact with other owners/managers and team principals (real or not) as well as the drivers you hire, where they could come with ideas, plans, or grievances based on race results. Such as teammate collisions, under-performing car, and hiring interviews. It would mean a lot of time and effort to put into the acting, but it would add a whole new level of depth that most sports games struggle with. It would put Codemasters ahead in the racing realm and sports games in general.