Sign in to follow this  

New Control Option: Mouse Steering

Hey Codies!

Please please please consider adding mouse steering in Dirt Rally, that's the only thing holding me back from purchasing. Mouse steering is a viable control option that offers more precise handling than a gamepad or keyboard controls. Obviously, it's no comparison to the authenticity of a wheel, but for those who don't have a wheel setup, mouse steering provides a nice, convenient alternative with minimal setup and takedown requirements.

For a recent example, Assetto Corsa has this implemented well and it's allowed me to pour in 200+ hours into the game. It's an old video, but here's something for reference (notice how mouse steering allows for fine maneuvers near the 27 second mark) https://youtu.be/M01Svo9LYK0?t=26s

Thanks for putting such a great effort into Dirt Rally!

EDIT: Reposted to suggestion box thread per mod request

I've used mouse steering in Live for Speed, Netkar Pro and Assetto Corsa for about a decade now and shifted with mouse buttons. It's easier to be more accurate than with a thumb stick and it doesn't incur the smoothing required for keyboard steering. Second best steering solution, right after an actual wheel. If implemented, please for Pete's sake, include steering linearity that goes BOTH WAYS. I.e., turns more easily around the centre AND turns more easily toward the screen edges. See: rF2's linearity curve.

I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would agree to having pad support but be against (i.e. not neutral toward) mouse steering. Would appreciate to hear why from someone who voted against.

xyzzy30 said:
I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would agree to having pad support but be against (i.e. not neutral toward) mouse steering. Would appreciate to hear why from someone who voted against.
I too would like to hear from those against mouse steering.  

To me, it seems entirely okay to not like mouse steering or choose to not use it.  What are the reasons for discouraging a game developer from including it as a control option?

200+ hours steering with a mouse ! ? ?

Pour soul !
Ha!  The struggle is real, that's for sure.  But at least I get to enjoy such a great game, if even on a not-even-close-to-what-it's-like-to-have-a-wheel level of play :)

So it's ok to gamepads support (which is console thing) while the main thing of our pc's the mouse cannot be supported, yea seems legit, what seems more legit is that most people (probably all of them) who voted no are console noobs, please get back there and play your games over there, that's fair enough doesn't it? I own a racing wheel and pedals but I don't always have the times to put them together for use so mouse steering would be a great option for quick racing, (keyboard alone is close to non-playable),
Please rethink your vote people it really effect us sim players like me, adding mouse steering support is like adding an option to change your car, it's that basic but really helpful. 

I can't agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!
sometimes my wheel not aroud,so I only use mouse. I used mouse in live for speed feels good.
I really love DIRT RALLY,PLEASE ADD MOUSE STEERING.
Thank you!