Sign in to follow this  

Wheel vs. Pad users on Singapore

I am a wheel user and I feel wheel users like me have a HUGE disadvantage when it comes to pads users on street courses. The amount of time that it takes for me to move my wheel from far left to far right takes so much more time then on a pad. This even applies to pedals too. With the short throw distance a pad has to be hurting my lap times. There is 23 corners at Singapore, if I’m loosing time in every corner, I’m screwed. I’m last weeks “classic weekly event” I could setup a offline GP at 110 & still be gapping the rest of the field. When I setup a offline GP at Singapore I’m the one who’s being lapped. I have to turn down the AI a lot. Too embarrassed to say how much. Anybody else seeing this too or is it just me??? Now I’m starting to think wheel users & pad users should be separated in weekly events, ranked races & TT or at least identified so we know who’s using what. 

First of all theres no need to be embarrassed about what AI you use especially using a wheel as you do. A good idea is to share what wheel you are using as there maybe someone on here with the same one and maybe could share there settings for ffb and inputs to help you out. I'm a pad user myself so i couldn't help you any further in this. Hope you get the right answers matw. 

Whatever wheel you use dialing down the max rotation in setup will help. That way you turn less to get more actual turning in game. You definitely should never need to crossover hands for sure. You'll never turn faster than a pad though unkess you have superpowers! The laws of physics/inertia are stacked against you.

@smudger1982

I appreciate your feedback but my point is more towards a simple math equation. Full left to full right on a pad is like an inch to an inch & a half. Full left to full right on my thrustmaster T—GT wheelbase with Ferrari F1 wheel is something like 10 or 12 inches of distance. It comes down to time over distance. It takes me much longer to travel from full left to full right then with a pad. Since I am an electrical engineer, my minds starts to wonder if the “travel time” between the two is a problem for me on street courses, time wise. Now go to Monza, much less corners so I don’t see the “travel time” an issue here. Now I do have more precise control of my steering input here & can get in & out of corners on my preferred line. I’m just wondering if wheel users are at a disadvantage street courses???? 

Posted (edited)

If you feel Controller is faster, then try to play with a Controller ... 

Edited by UP100
Edited out a possibly provoking part of the message

Let me tell you where you are wrong. Yes the pad may have a 'shorter distance' for switching direction but it doesn't switch instantly, it slowly switches from left to right or right to left. Also the pad at places like Singapore, Monaco, Cota, France all have pretty bad tyre temp problems, which makes the pad on those tracks unfair compared to wheel as we have overheated tyres on the same setups as wheel users.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TheSerbian said:

If you feel Controller is faster, then try to play with a Controller ... 

That's a little harsh man! That'd be be like saying all wheel boxes should state clearly "this product will make you so slower than regular pad users." Plus going back to the pad after using a wheel is just depressing, better to solve the problem than just make everyone use the same input device.

Edited by UP100
Reply possibly a bit out of topic. Edited out a part of the quote for it being possibly provoking.

@Speedy862

so you are saying that the game is programmed to slow down the steering reaction time when a pad is used??? Which I can believe. It would so hard to catch it when your rear tires are stepping out on you if a pad reacted so fast.  I also have had some trouble with over-heating my tires with my wheel/ car setup. Sorry if I caused anybody to get upset but my mind just got to thinking about how much more time it takes me to turn my wheel compared to pad. Thanks for your input too, it is appreciated. 

Hey!

Just letting you know that I've hidden some messages that can be considered provoking and not on topic, which may mean that some of the remaining comments may feel a bit off-topic 🙂 

If in any doubt on what you can do and what you cannot, the link to the "official" forum rules can be found from the "Introduce Yourself" subforum

Now for my own opinions about the topic, which no one wants to hear anyways 😁

I think that on street circuits it'll most likely be the wheel user that has the advantage, as it's easier for them to learn how much you need to turn the wheel and how much can you press the pedal down.

These are a bit harder to do on the pad with the same amount of training I'd say. Usually it isn't really about how quick you can get your wheel to turn but how accurately you can control your wheel rotation and pedals, that will give you the advantage on a street circuit 🙂 

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Getts0388 said:

@sloppysmusic

thank you for your support  & feedback. 

Thanks and no problem! Which part of my reply helped you? The section that's still there or the part that was deleted for being 'possibly a bit out of topic' and /or 'being possibly provoking' ? I can't remember what I typed this morning sorry. If it WAS the part that was deleted sorry everyone else for not knowing what was helpful to OP as it's gone now.

As regards the deletion/censorship (sorry editing is correcting and improving not simply cutting paragraphs out completely ) I have to state that the day I stop writing material that could never possibly be provoking in any way I will quit writing completely. I'm here to change things for the better and you don't effect change for the better while portraying the world and everyone in it as perfect.

EDIT :Can the devs access 'hidden messages'? Just clarifying whether text is ghosted in some way as to still be available for admins to read and review (and unhide maybe) or whether hidden means actually deleted?

Edited by sloppysmusic
Hidden messages question

On 3/1/2020 at 3:54 PM, Getts0388 said:

@Speedy862

so you are saying that the game is programmed to slow down the steering reaction time when a pad is used??? Which I can believe. It would so hard to catch it when your rear tires are stepping out on you if a pad reacted so fast.  I also have had some trouble with over-heating my tires with my wheel/ car setup. Sorry if I caused anybody to get upset but my mind just got to thinking about how much more time it takes me to turn my wheel compared to pad. Thanks for your input too, it is appreciated. 

Plug a controller in and do something like maggots and beckets or the esses at suzuka, the change of direction on a pad is very slow, that's literally the main advantage of a wheel... is the ability to have really fast change of direction. If your slow at turning your wheel that's either your settings being wrong e.g degrees of rotation or your just not very good with the wheel.

Wheel = good at change of direction, tyre wear, tyre temps and easier ers mapping
Pad = easier traction due to having feedback in the triggers, optimum slip angle through high speed corners.

I like coffee.  I can drink tea.  They are both different and have different advantages and disadvantages.  A bit like pad and wheel.  However everyone just accepts that tea isn’t coffee and visa versa.  Let’s move on

2 hours ago, Acerees said:

I like coffee.  I can drink tea.  They are both different and have different advantages and disadvantages.  A bit like pad and wheel.  However everyone just accepts that tea isn’t coffee and visa versa.  Let’s move on

For a second I thought you were a bot 😁

• Haha 1