Neutral gear is incorrect in all F1 games by CM

Somehing that has always bothered me over the past 10 years, in Codemasters F1 franchise, is the incorrect use of the Neutral gear.

In reality: 

-Neutral gear can not be accidentally selected, if the driver is "spamming" the gear downshift pedal

-Neutral gear can only be selected if, the driver presses the allocated button for it, to make sure that the gearbox does not take damage.

In Codemasters F1 games:

-If you "spam" the downshift gear too fast, you will always end up "accidentally" selecting the Neutral gear.

-Selecting Neutral gear in such a quick manner does not damage the gearbox.

What i'd love to see is that Codemasters fixes this issue, to finally bring a little bit more realism for the gearbox and gear shifting procedure in the game.

How can that be achieved?

One possible solution would be to make Neutral gear only available to be selected if you are in 1st gear and hold the downshift button/pedal for at least 1,5 seconds, this way it will be impossible to "accidentally" select Neutral gear in tight corners such as "Loews" in Monaco.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 6

This is usually done in purpose in most racing games. Even rF2 will only disable this behaviour if you go and bind the neutral gear to some other button. Soo...

Let's give people the option to bind neutral gear to some button, which will then disable this behaviour 🙂 

• Agree 5

Funny I never see this mentioned, I just started F1 recently and the first thing I was looking for was to map neutral to a button.

• Like 1

This seem to be an easy to fix issue, please @BarryBL think about It for future patches

Thanks,

• Agree 1

I agree that you shouldn't be able to get neutral by accident.In real life it won't damage anything but it could cause a crash due to differences of how the car behaves with and without the engine braking effect.Also,if the driver selects neutral and thinks he has 1st,when he gets back on the gas exiting the turn,the car won't accelerate and could get rear ended by the trailing car because that driver expected the car ahead of him to accelerate and it didn't.That's why neutral is locked out in real life as a safety feature.It should be set up so you have to be stopped with the brakes on just as you do to get reverse because after coming to a stop with the brakes on,selecting neutral is the first step to engaging reverse and thus neutral should only be able to be selected as part of the process to get reverse.

• Like 1

Ah, it's been a while since we've had a good "this idea sounds simple, so it must be easy to fix" post 🙂

• Haha 1

Well, regarding rF2, there is also a setting to downshift to neutral if you press "Shift Up + Shift Down" at the same time - so the lowest gear normally you could select is 1st, if you want to reverse you have to get to neutral first then downshift to reverse. Upshifting to 1st is fine.

I guess a similar behavior could be implemented in Codemasters F1 games...

• Like 1

Yeah its so annoying catching a gear and going into neutral, it should be a separate button process like realise, but even then I can't think of a reason you would actually need the neutral gear in the game to be accessible by the user 

• Agree 1

I guess the majority is playing with automatic gearbox and nobody has ever think about this topic, neither do I.

But thats a really good point, especially for people who drive without driving aids.

There are so many little things that could make the game better.

• Agree 1