Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

FFB- T300 and Various Wheels

On 2/11/2020 at 7:26 PM, steviejay69 said:

Not convinced that that option would work without a recovery partition, it's a little untested by me. 

Personally I was a fan of 'Refresh My PC' in Windows 8.1 but MS threw that one under the bus. Cloud reinstall is coming in v2004, don't hold your breath....

You could try a VM, that would prove whether a reinstall would work. In-place install would be no loss of data but you would have to reinstall software (I don't group apps with applications - they are UWP apps and Win32 (or WOW6432) code). But it tends to fix broken dependencies or runtimes. It's your choice, I can't certify either, I'm afraid.

I thought I'd had replied... But obviously it doesn't appear here...

The FFB works in the VM. But I don't know how to use the GPU there so I had like 3 FPS...

Any ideas what that means (that the FFB works in the VM but not on my PC)? And more importantly how to fix it?
Is it possible to use the GPU etc. in the VM aswell? This wouldn't be optimal but at least kind of a solution.

Other topic: I had a windows update and hoped this might clean things up, but sadly it didnt.

13 hours ago, Canry said:

I thought I'd had replied... But obviously it doesn't appear here...

The FFB works in the VM. But I don't know how to use the GPU there so I had like 3 FPS...

Any ideas what that means (that the FFB works in the VM but not on my PC)? And more importantly how to fix it?
Is it possible to use the GPU etc. in the VM aswell? This wouldn't be optimal but at least kind of a solution.

Other topic: I had a windows update and hoped this might clean things up, but sadly it didnt.

My guess would be some kind of Windows corruption somewhere, so it looks like a reinstall would be the best solution. 

Normal monthly security patches and/or quality updates are unlikely to fix anything other than what they are designed to fix, its the version upgrades that are somewhat more likely.

Hate to say it but a reinstall seems the way forward.

Edited by steviejay69
Auto correct doesn’t hate

11 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

My guess would be some kind of Windows corruption somewhere, so it looks like a reinstall would be the best solution. 

Normal monthly security patches and/or quality updates are unlikely to fix anything other than what they are designed to fix, its the version upgrades that are somewhat more likely.

Hate to say it but a reinstall seems the way forward.

Ok... Using the built in function to reset the pc it says that there was a problem resetting the pc and that no changes were made...

But I won't have time to reset it completely after I return from vacation in early march. Or do you have any other idea how to make this work easily?

2 minutes ago, Canry said:

Ok... Using the built in function to reset the pc it says that there was a problem resetting the pc and that no changes were made...

But I won't have time to reset it completely after I return from vacation in early march. Or do you have any other idea how to make this work easily?

Well, that may hint towards software corruption but at this stage it might be wise to eliminate hardware issues. 

If as suggested earlier you ran the Samsung and Crucial drive diagnostic software, then it would seem to eliminate any drive issues if you have the game installed to C:\ (certainly your system drive) or D:\. If you have installed to E:\, then the Seagate Seatools can be run from Windows.

Memtest86 will allow you to create a USB stick to test memory (best done with single sticks at a time). Not quick, but can be run overnight or during otherwise downtime.

In short, no I don't have a quick fix. Sorry to be almost proven correct about the non-guaranteed performance of the Windows reset options. 🙁

On 9 February 2020 at 8:36 PM, UP100 said:

I believe PCARS2 somehow modifies the Windows registry, but I was unable to find the thread about what those registry keys were... I don't know how good of a job the installer does in terms of modified registry keys 😕 

Up100 is correct, wheel users

for wheel users and don't know if it's a bug but a lot of people have experienced it,

when going from f12019  to PCARS2 it somehow resets or keeps wheel rotation and settings to Pcars2 ,thus making Pcars2 almost undriveable,

the trick here is either unplug you wheel from ps4 USB port then replug in again which works or simply restart your ps4 ,

i think it was related a long time ago to project cars 2 ,

not really an an issuse just annoying if you forget to reset before playing Pcars2 

15 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Well, that may hint towards software corruption but at this stage it might be wise to eliminate hardware issues. 

If as suggested earlier you ran the Samsung and Crucial drive diagnostic software, then it would seem to eliminate any drive issues if you have the game installed to C:\ (certainly your system drive) or D:\. If you have installed to E:\, then the Seagate Seatools can be run from Windows.

Memtest86 will allow you to create a USB stick to test memory (best done with single sticks at a time). Not quick, but can be run overnight or during otherwise downtime.

In short, no I don't have a quick fix. Sorry to be almost proven correct about the non-guaranteed performance of the Windows reset options. 🙁

Alright... Samsung wouldn't let me run the diagnostics because the drive ist "not supported" which according to the internet may be the case because it is connected by M.2 and not SATA. The rest of the Drives (including D, where the Game ist installed) seems fine.

Memtest looks quiet complicated tbh... Do you think it will be necessary to do that?

If it is I will try that and completely resetting windows in march. Its pretty annoying...
Is there anything to watch out for when resetting windows?

3 hours ago, Canry said:

Alright... Samsung wouldn't let me run the diagnostics because the drive ist "not supported" which according to the internet may be the case because it is connected by M.2 and not SATA. The rest of the Drives (including D, where the Game ist installed) seems fine.

Memtest looks quiet complicated tbh... Do you think it will be necessary to do that?

If it is I will try that and completely resetting windows in march. Its pretty annoying...
Is there anything to watch out for when resetting windows?

Try Magician 6.00 and Samsung NVMe driver

I have the 970 EVO and it is detected, but I have only Z97 chipset and DMI link 2.0 x2 lanes.

Is the Crucial M.2 or SATA? (If it is M.2, is it NVMe or SATA M.2)

SATA controller should be set to AHCI not RAID (can only change this easily ahead of an install boot).

Memtest is not complex - yes necessary to rule things out at this stage IMO.

When resetting Windows, have a copy of your necessary or clean install drivers and do it disconnected from Internet. Otherwise W10 will try to be "helpful".

e.g. have GFX, chipset, audio and LAN drivers at least. Then connect once installed.

To be fair, I would install the Thrustmaster drivers (2019_TTRS1) too.

Edited by steviejay69

3 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Try Magician 6.00 and Samsung NVMe driver

I have the 970 EVO and it is detected, but I have only Z97 chipset and DMI link 2.0 x2 lanes.

Is the Crucial M.2 or SATA? (If it is M.2, is it NVMe or SATA M.2)

SATA controller should be set to AHCI not RAID (can only change this easily ahead of an install boot).

Memtest is not complex - yes necessary to rule things out at this stage IMO.

When resetting Windows, have a copy of your necessary or clean install drivers and do it disconnected from Internet. Otherwise W10 will try to be "helpful".

e.g. have GFX, chipset, audio and LAN drivers at least. Then connect once installed.

To be fair, I would install the Thrustmaster drivers (2019_TTRS1) too.

Alright, I have tried Magician 6.0 and the NVMe Driver but it still says that the selected drive doesn't support that function.

The Crucial is SATA, should be the MX500 1 TB. I have never enabled RAID.

Thanks for you support and Infos! But I won't be able to use Memtest and/or reset the PC before the end of the first week in march, just so you know.

15 minutes ago, Canry said:

Alright, I have tried Magician 6.0 and the NVMe Driver but it still says that the selected drive doesn't support that function.

The Crucial is SATA, should be the MX500 1 TB. I have never enabled RAID.

Thanks for you support and Infos! But I won't be able to use Memtest and/or reset the PC before the end of the first week in march, just so you know.

I've a feeling this could be because the drive is being misdetected as removable. Do you have the drive listed as an entry to the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray (looks like a USB stick) if you click it?

34 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

I've a feeling this could be because the drive is being misdetected as removable. Do you have the drive listed as an entry to the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray (looks like a USB stick) if you click it?

No, it doesn't. I had to plug an external hard drive in for it to show up.

USB.png

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Canry said:

No, it doesn't. I had to plug an external hard drive in for it to show up.

USB.png

Is the 970 EVO in M.2_1 or M.2_2?

11 hours ago, Canry said:

I mean the slot in the board. There are actually 3 slots, but M.2_3 is too small. M.2_1 is nearest the RAM whereas M.2_2 is at the bottom right edge. Only M.2_1 is labelled as supporting NVMe, so this is where the drive should be located.

57 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

I mean the slot in the board. There are actually 3 slots, but M.2_3 is too small. M.2_1 is nearest the RAM whereas M.2_2 is at the bottom right edge. Only M.2_1 is labelled as supporting NVMe, so this is where the drive should be located.

Ah alright, sorry! I didn't find any info on which slot is which. But it is located between CPU and GPU

SSD.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Canry said:

Ah alright, sorry! I didn't find any info on which slot is which. But it is located between CPU and GPU

SSD.jpeg

Your manual.

Turns out I was looking at the manual for a similar board I'd been troubleshooting on another thread. Both M.2 slots support NVMe and there is no M.2_3 so we can discount that.

But as they do, you could try moving the SSD into the other slot. It might reveal an issue with the slot itself.

Scratch that, it looks like an unsupported configuration.

Edited by steviejay69

8 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

@Canry did you clean install Windows to the NVMe or was it a (ghost) transfer?

It was a clean install. But around 2 month ago I had some issues so I used the built in function to reset the pc (including the deletion of all data).

Hi, I have this problem, randomly the FFB of my T300 loses power in Suzuka after the last patch 1.21, is there anyone who has the same problem maybe in other tracks too? Any Fix?

10 hours ago, biagioduc said:

Hi, I have this problem, randomly the FFB of my T300 loses power in Suzuka after the last patch 1.21, is there anyone who has the same problem maybe in other tracks too? Any Fix?

Check the rim is securely attached to the wheelbase.

Check the firmware of the wheel is up to date (you will need a PC and the wheel in PS3 mode). Please submit a bug report including platform) if you feel this is a bug. If you are just asking a general question, then this post is suited to General Discussion.

Other general advice is with the T300 set the master feedback to 75% and enable the 'always on' fan mode -these can be found on the Thrustmaster technical support pages along with the firmware (or your user manual if you purchased the wheel from new). Yes, "new" wheels ship with old firmware.

Too much is posted in these forums unnecessarily.

If you can confirm the loss of feedback after all the above and at more than one track, then submit a bug report.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:40 AM, Canry said:

It was a clean install. But around 2 month ago I had some issues so I used the built in function to reset the pc (including the deletion of all data).

Do you have 'fast startup' enabled in Start|(Windows System)|Control Panel|Power Options|Choose what the power buttons do|(Change settings that are unavailable)Shut-down settings

If so, disable it and re-test.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:15 PM, biagioduc said:

Hi @biagioduc

I've added this to the T300 thread as it is on the same issue.

On 2/16/2020 at 11:38 AM, steviejay69 said:

Do you have 'fast startup' enabled in Start|(Windows System)|Control Panel|Power Options|Choose what the power buttons do|(Change settings that are unavailable)Shut-down settings

If so, disable it and re-test.

I don't have the "change settings that are unavailable" field. I googled it and I know what you mean and where it should be but I dont see that.

I wont reply until the 6th of March from now on.

• Thanks 1

Can't say that I've noticed a lost of ffb since patch 1.21 ,

using intermediate tyres is now abit off where it's switching from dry to light rain ,

saftey car works very well ,

we seem to have more front end grip but we are using the multiplayer car unranked for league racing,

we still need more ffb feelings coming through the  wheel or maybe my hands are just too sensitive lol,

but clearly patch 1.21 overall feels better even if you didn't mean that to happen,

but in everything by altering one part it always alter something else good or bad , ,

graphics on the halo look crisp again instead of looking pixelated as of last few updates,

i love the f2 part of the game but would rather lose that to gain more of the pie for the F1 part of the game,

we run a f1 league full race distance, full damage , random weather,  only assists allowed is ABS ,  full 3 stage  qualy,

its a very tough league but if you're a hard core sim racer then it's for you , and yes every week someone wins actual money,  

end of season the top 3 also wins real money,

our Saturday night begins with Pcars2 8pm to 10pm  20 minutes qualy and 55 minutes race full damage,

then at 10,45pm to 2 pm it's F1 2019.

most use wheels, obviously ps4,

if this is something that would interest then send me a pm .

Update: I was about to reset my PC, when trying to run the Media Creation Tool from a non Admin-Account it told me to switch to the Admin Account. So I did that and thought why not try if F1 works on this account. And it does!!!

Pretty weird, but it looks like I will just play F1 from that Account from now on.

@steviejay69: Thank you very much for all your help!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Canry said:

Update: I was about to reset my PC, when trying to run the Media Creation Tool from a non Admin-Account it told me to switch to the Admin Account. So I did that and thought why not try if F1 works on this account. And it does!!!

Pretty weird, but it looks like I will just play F1 from that Account from now on.

@steviejay69: Thank you very much for all your help!

No worries! Thank you for feeding back.

I see many players talking about running a game or Steam 'as Admin'. This would explain if those users were actually running Standard user accounts.

Using an Administrator account with UAC is preferable - to avoid software issues.

It is arguably less secure than running as a Standard user (as is the argument about having to disable Protected Folder access to have write permissions to the 'My Documents' folder. Personally, I feel the implementation of Protected Folder access is poor in terms of usability) but unless games are tested with these configurations things are unlikely to change.

Protected Folder access is a W10 security implementation.

Adminstrator versus Standard User accounts have been with us in their current guise (with UAC) since Vista and still have not been resolved. Now XP, Vista and 7 compatibility issues are a thing of the past, hopefully developers can focus on the changes required to enable them when they are usable.

Steam is also culpable in that the minimum platform requirement is W7 64-bit. But gamers can drive that by adopting W10, they can do that for free.

The issue about Steam files being stored externally (not in the user profile area) also needs addressing. Currently, it's a kludge with Steam Cloud and the Steam Backup routine.