Sign in to follow this  

#FeedbackFriday 15/05/15 - UI Special

This week it is a menu and UI special, don't feel like you have to answer all the points (I know there is a lot!) but it would be really useful to find out what you love and hate about our UI.

Before you get that far though we want to know how you're feeling about our 3rd week of Early Access.

• How do you feel about the game this week?
  • How do you feel about us? Are we talking enough? Too much?
  • Are we talking about the right things?
  • What could we do better?

UI Special Questions

• What is your Number 1 biggest frustration in the UI?
  • Do you use the Quick Select to navigate the UI?
  • Is there any extra information that you would like to have available to you in the Service Area or is it ok?
  • Is there anything missing or misplaced in the UI?
  • Does the UI identify Rally Stages clearly enough?
  • How do you feel about the way rewards are presented and the end of an event?
  • What works or does not work on the UI for Vehicle Selection?
  • Do you find the Team Management part of the UI easy to understand and navigate?
  • What is your favourite thing about the UI?
  • Do you prefer screen hot buttons or actual screen navigation?
  • Does the UI allow you to get into the race quick enough
  • Where do you most often go when you return to the UI from a race

I've already answered first part, here goes UI section:
None. I really like it! Clean and nice, no fireworks etc.
Not nearly often enough. It is great idea and I like it. I am sure I will be using it once I start using my muscle memory to navigate.
  • Is there any extra information that you would like to have available to you in the Service Area or is it ok?
I would like the weather to be a bit random, so there is weather forecast, no 100% sure information about upcoming stages. I would like to see a "news flash" text on the bottom of the menu with results, and news from the stage (ie. leading driver X had a puncture which cost him two minutes, and dropped him to 5th place etc). I also wish I could repair the car beyond service time limit and recieve penality for doing so. Team manager advice/ team orders would be nice as well for those running SP, but multiplayer teams could also have one of drivers acting as team manager.
No.
Could include stage lenght.
I've won Monte once, wish there was a podium decoration animation going on. Nothing fancy Ken Block style, but simple champagne etc at the end would be a nice reward.
Everything works fine for me. Community textures thumbnails could be supported though. Also I wish my most recently used skin would be a default one next time I choose the same car. Also car category thumbnails could use real life photoes, not ingame shots IMHO.
  • Do you find the Team Management part of the UI easy to understand and navigate?
I don't use that feature much, so I won't comment.
It looks "professional", clean, and is really easy to navigate. Fits genre perfectly well.
Sorry, I don't understand :(
Yes.
Another custom event creation :smiley: 

You need you have individual stage results after the Monthly Event(B Series).
Now it goes to rally thus far time results or friends times, but not current stage time?
Unless I missed it?  Oh and no, I don't use the quick buttons, not in a hurry, important to set up car.

If you set up a car setup and name it, the next time you race, itwill call that setup default but it says none, so when you go to load it it won't , because it already is, Just saying it needs to say that in setup instead of just none. Cheers,
Gene

Alright, let me attempt to answer these as best I can.

How do you feel about the game this week?

No differently from the previous one. Still think it's, overall, a great game, just need a few tweaks and additions that I've already mentioned.

How do you feel about us? Are we talking enough? Too much?

Definitely enough. Maybe the only thing you're missing is listing which of suggestions you are planning to implement on the next update, but at the same time, you know, it can spoil the surprise. I'll leave that up to you.

Are we talking about the right things?

Question pretty much answered above.

What could we do better?

Already answered in part. In general, you're doing pretty good.

What is your Number 1 biggest frustration in the UI?

Nothing comes to mind that I would call a frustration.

Do you use the Quick Select to navigate the UI?

Not really.

Is there any extra information that you would like to have available to you in the Service Area or is it ok?

Current classification.

Is there anything missing or misplaced in the UI?

In Career and Custom Event, cars are underpowered, unless they're upgraded. An actual weight and power figure should be present, in the selection area, with the max power and minimum weight in parentheses in front. This is not necessary for Custom Event, if you intend to have the upgrades already installed on that mode, like I have been suggesting, in which case that part of the interface can remain the same.

Does the UI identify Rally Stages clearly enough?

Could use a stage map and needs stage distance.

How do you feel about the way rewards are presented and the end of an event?

No problem with it.

What works or does not work on the UI for Vehicle Selection?

The overall design and organization of vehicle selection is good. For more details that could be added, please refer to the answer of the 4th UI question.

Do you find the Team Management part of the UI easy to understand and navigate?

I'll say yes, but I don't use it much.

What is your favourite thing about the UI?

Its simplicity, the clean style of it. Nothing flashy, very organized and straight-forward.

Do you prefer screen hot buttons or actual screen navigation?

Screen navigation mostly. But will use button shortcuts occasionally.

Does the UI allow you to get into the race quick enough?

Yes.

Where do you most often go when you return to the UI from a race?

Custom Event.

Still loving this game! over 24 hrs of drive time. Keep going this direction! SIM

Good communication but you need to add what your list of project priorities are or have been selected from the community.

Number 1 frustration is having to use the wheel buttons to navigate the UI. I have learned what is what now with the buttons but a mouse would stream line this a ton.

Extra info in the service area should include # of stages remaining for engineer contracts, you should include a limited set of tires and a choice of tire type with how many sets are remaining.

Use the same button (as the continue button) to load a setup as opposed to using the same button for continue to overwrite a setup. I have overwritten a setup with the default when I wanted to load my custom setup due to clicking to quickly. Cars should keep the last used set up each time they are driven.

You need to include stage length for all stages. I would also like to see heavy gravel % listed first (left to right) followed by medium and light gravel especially when the % of heavy gravel is greatest. It just makes sense to have a logical order of stage conditions.

IMO the reward is finishing the stage/rally and your time. I do not require extra work on your end being put into a celebration screen.

I have no input on the team management - seems to be working for me now that I figured out what was going on.

I like that the UI is straight forward without a whole lot of unnecessary flash. I also like that everything is available without a whole lot of backing out of menus

Hot buttons would be helpful

The UI allows me to enter a race quickly enough.

The first place I go after exiting a race is team management for contracts  and the garage to look at upgrades or to select a new vehicle to drive.

If I have my wheel set up, changing liveries and quick nav menu fall under the same bind, the right paddle shifter.

Same thing as above but this time it's the contract renewal button.

The lack of stage lengths.
Not yet: stage length and map should be in the Stage Information sidebar of the Stage Selection menu (personal best time would be great too). Stage length would also be welcome in the loading screens. It's not feasible to memorize which all go where or are the reverse of whichever other ones.
Again, stage length and map in the stage info sidebar.
Easy to understand, especially the reminders about expiring contracts.
How clean and fast it is! Love the look of it.

Enjoying the game still. Seeing the on-line timings makes me feel bad and uncompetitive, certainly not likely to keep going with the on-line stuff. FFB hasn't got any easier to drive with after three weeks.
Feel you've got the balance of info/updates about right.
Yes.
Keep going as you are.

|-o-|

UI Special Questions

No user definable hot keys.
No.
OK.
Not that I've noticed.
Yes. Stage length would be nice.
It works OK, but nothing special happens if you do get a top 3 finish. 
Works fine for me. Maybe add a 3D viewer for the cars.
It works and is easy to understand.
Clean and simple. Though the music is starting to irritate me.
Hot buttons, user definable ones would be nice.
Yes
  • Where do you most often go when you return to the UI from a race.
Team Management or out of game completely.

Loading a controller preset and changing advanced pad settings every time I start the game is an annoying hassle.

N/A.

N/A.

N/A.

Losing all changes to controller settings every time I close the game client. Not a write permissions issue.

No.

N/A.

- Saturation, deadzone values for axes in controls. Currently requires manual editing of XML file.
- There appears to be no way to create and save controller presets in game, requires manual XML manipulation.

Haven't felt as if anything is missing, not looked hard though.

N/A.

I would like to see more of the class choices at once. Currently three classes are properly visible for me, but all six could be shown at once with slightly smaller selection boxes. E.g. in two rows. If more classes are added, scrolling the list while not seeing how far I need to do so could prove to be tedious.

The one time I tried it, it was clear enough.

Clarity, i.e. big text and icons

Using a pad, the current system is fine. Tbh, I'm not sure I understand what is meant by those two methods.

In terms of steps, yes. However I would prefer that the fade-in/out screen animations would be optional or non-existent. Overall, the UI would feel snappier if I felt that I wasn't waiting for an animation to complete.

Custom event -> main screen -> repeat. Currently I lose all career progress every time I close the client, so no career screens for me.

Focused feedback; good idea. Difficult to reply on this on a mobile though, so bear with me. Answers in italics below.
  • How do you feel about the game this week? Same; great game, just needs more content, and offline environment could do with being more life-like, but I'll save that for another feedback.
  • How do you feel about us? Are we talking enough? Too much? No complaints. Feels like 'we' is predominantly you though, maybe other team members could post occasionally (and it be obvious who they are!). The latest Road Book blog was a good example though, thanks.
  • Are we talking about the right things? Mainly, yes.
  • What could we do better? You could be more negative or clarify what huge amount of work some of the 'suggestions' (demands) in that forum are, to avoid some repetitive debates.

UI Special Questions

• What is your Number 1 biggest frustration in the UI? Lack of stage info. Minor though, on the whole it's great, although it does lock about 50% of the time for me after the new content check (I'll post a bug report after I research more)
  • Do you use the Quick Select to navigate the UI? Nope, because the rest is easy to use.
  • Is there any extra information that you would like to have available to you in the Service Area or is it ok? I would prefer the service area to replace components and do away with % points, but I suspect that's not what you mean here.
  • Does the UI identify Rally Stages clearly enough? No, very difficult to avoid the cut up versions of stages in a custom event.
  • What works or does not work on the UI for Vehicle Selection? All works for me, now that I've worked out how to change livery. Maybe livery select could go both ways, not just cycle.
  • Do you find the Team Management part of the UI easy to understand and navigate? I've tried to avoid it, but it seems to work fine.
  • What is your favourite thing about the UI? Simplicity and unobtrusiveness. Sorry, I know that's two.
  • Does the UI allow you to get into the race quick enough? Yes

Unfortunately this week the game began returning to the old habbit of stuttering after the patch.It was less noticeable in the 03.2 version but in the 03.3 is becoming a major downside.The UI could be improved by adding stage leghts first of all.Then it will be nice if we can see the 3D models of the the cars in the menus and not just photos.Lastly a small introductory video with the stage and the car arriving at the start during loading will be pretty nice.Thats all for now.

• How do you feel about the game this week?   -  Enthusiastic and waiting for next developments
  • How do you feel about us? Are we talking enough? Too much?  -  All good :)
  • Are we talking about the right things?  -  I think yes
  • What could we do better?  -  Let the community know what you think about the community feedback; have more actual conversation about the key issues/developments so both sides can be sure to understand each other (feedback on out feedback and so on).

UI Special Questions

• What is your Number 1 biggest frustration in the UI? -  Non-mappable hot keys and lack of mouse support (I keep pressing the wrong button because I can never remember what is button number 17 on my steering wheel...)
  • Do you use the Quick Select to navigate the UI?  -  Not really
  • Is there any extra information that you would like to have available to you in the Service Area or is it ok?  -  If by service area you mean between stages, yes, the car setup window needs numerical values for various settings, not simply blank sliders: imagine how hard it is to share a setup with a friend if you have to measure with a ruler how far the slider is set. Also gear ratios should be shown individually.
  • Is there anything missing or misplaced in the UI?  -  mouse support would be very nice, or at least a function to use arrow keys on every menu (the "replay", "continue", "restart" window for example
  • Does the UI identify Rally Stages clearly enough?  -  Yes but stage length should be shown (and as a nice touch, personal best time shown too maybe)
  • How do you feel about the way rewards are presented and the end of an event?  - It's fine but for winning a championships something special happening would be nice (such as a visual trophy)..come to think of it, a trophy cabinet would be fun in the team management window
  • What works or does not work on the UI for Vehicle Selection?  -  Not UI as specifically, but each car's actual power should be shown on the info and not just maximum upgraded power. I like how the car classes are divided and the menu system is nice.
  • Do you find the Team Management part of the UI easy to understand and navigate?  - At first I didn't understand I have to separately hire an engineer after unlocking the space for one. Also menu choices would work better for most functions rather than just hot keys alone
  • What is your favourite thing about the UI?  -  Simplicity and visuals. The menus and the like, they look very nice and there's not useless clutter there which is good
  • Do you prefer screen hot buttons or actual screen navigation?  -  Actual screen navigation 100%. Remember, we're on PC now :)
  • Does the UI allow you to get into the race quick enough  -  Most certainly yes
  • Where do you most often go when you return to the UI from a race  -  If it was possible,I would go to see my stats for the race that just finished. See my split times, see difference to my best-ever times and any personal records I might have broken. That would be nice. Now I just go team management or quit the game, depending if I want to drive more or not.

•How do you feel about the game this week?
I think I've only played it once this week!!! :-o

•How do you feel about us? Are we talking enough? Too much?
Comms are great :)

•Are we talking about the right things?
Not for me. I don't get the the impression we'll not be seeing any time trial leaderboards or 'game modes' any time soon :/

•What could we do better?
Acknowledge a little more those that would like to see some of the accessibility remain from previous titles.

•What is your Number 1 biggest frustration in the UI?
I cannot quit or save when *I want to*

•Do you use the Quick Select to navigate the UI?
No idea what it is, guess not!

•Is there any extra information that you would like to have available to you in the Service Area or is it ok?
I'd like the option to auto-enable my mechanic to do whatever he recommends

•Is there anything missing or misplaced in the UI?
The stage time appears in the middle of the screen when I am driving!!!

•Does the UI identify Rally Stages clearly enough?
Not sure what you mean by that

•How do you feel about the way rewards are presented and the end of an event?
I don't want to see fireworks if that's what you mean!

•What works or does not work on the UI for Vehicle Selection?
Nothing yet. Would love to see this show the modified livery though. In fact, this is one of my biggest wishes.

•Do you find the Team Management part of the UI easy to understand and navigate?
I am not bothered with team management. Just want to drive.

•What is your favourite thing about the UI?
It's quick and simple.

•Do you prefer screen hot buttons or actual screen navigation?
Navigation.

•Does the UI allow you to get into the race quick enough
No. Especially not for custom events where the end of a custom event takes me back to the start screen, even if I just want to change the car

•Where do you most often go when you return to the UI from a race
Back into another race

Nice to drive. Slow championship is bit frustrating, feels like I never get to drive and compete with AWD cars. 

You can talk even more. Its nice that you listen feedback.

Are we talking about the right things? Yes.
What could we do better? Car physics. Too much grip and sense of speed is too heavy vs speedometer. With real wrc fiesta you should sometimes be able to reach speeds about  ~200 kph. In this game its impossible due to lack of power or too low speed according to speedometer.

UI Special Questions
Button number X icons on menu. For example, Logitech does not write button numbers on their wheels, only way is lottery if you want to figure out right button.

No, Quick Select is completely useless.

Is there any extra information that you would like to have available to you in the Service Area or is it ok?
Extra information at service area would be awesome. Maybe more info about track and weather. Track lenght for example.

Is there anything missing or misplaced in the UI?
We need option to change setup when restarting stage. Setups need possibility to enter numeric 
values that move the slider, slider should only be "guide" for values. It is easier to remember (and share) value than accurate slider position.

Gears are set way too long, always need to set it to near shortest possible.
Tyre options and ride are completely missing, for example Monte Carlo is all about tyres. Ride height and tyre pressure adjustment missing.

Stage lenght needed because many people like to drive longer stages. 

LENGHT information because many people like to drive longer stages. 

Some podium, interview and team photoshoot animations would be nice.
It would be cool to drive the car to podium before those animations.

Vehicle selection works ok. Cars could be 3D and vehicle selection could be more visual.

Do you find the Team Management part of the UI easy to understand and navigate? Yes.

Visual quality and real rally spirit.

Does not matter, why not both? Works already fine.

Does the UI allow you to get into the race quick enough? Yes.

Custom event or online events ----> another race.

I absolutely love it and can't get enough of it.  <3
Not sure, I spend most of my free time racing but the few times I pop on here you seem like you're doing an ok job.
Sure, asking for feedback is always great. I know some would like to know whether you're actually considering each request/idea or not, but I'm not bothered as long as I know you're reading it.
Not sure, mainly just work hard on getting the bugs patched like error 41 ect.

UI Special Questions

I'd like a nicer background!  :D
Took me a while to even figure out what this was, but am starting to use it now.
Would love to be able to see my best times recorded for the stage in the car/class that I'm in. That would be a real big plus.
I wouldn't mind moving the transmission options out of preferences and into controls. I switch from auto to H-gate to sequential and then back again all the time depending on what or how I'm driving, and right now I have to go to 2 different place to make that happen.
Yes, I think so.
It's ok, get's the job done I suppose. I'd rather it remains how it is than have the COD or Battlefield equivalent of loud explosive in-your-face announcements for everything you've received.
Once you've picked your vehicle you can't go back and select another one, it just goes straight to the stage which has caught me out a couple of times. Apart from that, it seems to be perfect.
I've only used it once, and it seemed straight forward enough.
That after racing on a particular stage in custom events, when I re-enter custom events and select the same country it will remember the stage and weather conditions I had set last time. That's pretty cool for me, as I quite often race the same stage/same weather with different cars to try things out.  :)
I would definitely prefer screen hot buttons when using a racing wheel, and also when using a game pad. And it was a bit irritating when playing with keyboard controls as I wanted to use the mouse, but that's a different problem.
Absolutely, the time from double-clicking the icon on my desktop to letting go of the handbrake at the starting line is super quick, I love it! 
Straight back into another race!  :D

The game is growing on me. I'm experiencing bugs here and there but it's ok, and at the end is not preventing me to enjoy it the core of the game. The bugs I found: 1) the strange appearance of the light pod during the day and only in certain views 2) minor environment imperfections, like poles or other objects sticking over the roof of cars at the margin of the roads.
and
I can't map important buttons of the UI on my Logitech G25, I had to find what does what.
update: the difficulty levels are not so intuitive. Is open the easiest?
Not yet.
Of course not, we need more info like lenght in Km/miles.
  • What works or does not work on the UI for Vehicle Selection?ì
The lack of a 3d view when choosing a car and skin is a huge handicap. Sometime we just want to look at the cars, after all if we bought the game, we are rally enthusiasts. Also it helps a lot when it's time to buy a new car for the career.
Simplicity, responsiveness.

Still feel like a kid on christmas morning! 

Participation on the forum could be better. Don't see devs answering explaining things people worry about. (Coleman is a gem on twitter though) I for one would love to know what Abbrings feedback was and what you are going to work on as a result of that conversation.

UI Special Questions

No.

It's fine.

Length should be obvious. I would love a description of the stage. "This stage starts out in the fast paced lowlands of xx and continues upward the twisty section in xx forrest." I also would like to see your personal leaderboard while the stage loads. That displays your best times and what car you made them with.

Maybe each car could come with your stats. How many KM, rolls, top speed you achived etc.

Do you find the Team Management part of the UI easy to understand and navigate? Yes.

Simple and clean.

Not sure.

Does the UI allow you to get into the race quick enough? Yes.

Hi,
Im happy with a real Rally game, a few answers on your questions:
  • I miss the track layout, that would be great!
Maybe you ask earlier, but this is the first hour that i am active on this forum.
i Would like to choose my tires before the track

The damage model is a bit simple the consiquents and the look of the damage.

Further... LOVE this game!

The UI is ok how ever.
I wold like to have  mouse control usage in the UI , instead of  the current Console style based button system .
I have found lots of functions that were not clear in the first place due to trying to find the correct buttons on my wheel that worked the UI  menus.

But the layout is good but the legacy control methards need to up-dated.
But I still need more time to play & that I do not have at the moment.

Enjoying it even more as I get the hang of things.

I'm new to the forum, cannot really comment. Not immediately easy to find dev posts and official feedback though.

Are we talking about the right things?

As above.

What could we do better?

Too early to comment.

UI Special Questions

No mouse support for navigation. Whilst I drive with a wheel I'd still prefer to use a mouse for the UI. I find it more efficient.

I've tried it but don't generally use it. There's not a lot of submenus and pushing ESC a couple of times will get me back to the main menu quickly. Only really playing career.

Ok so far.

As mentioned by others, stage length would be nice along with fastest time, both personal and historical (with driver and year).

Simplistic but functional at this stage.

Yes.

I would like to be able to quickly see how a new engineer going into an empty slot compares to existing engineers.

Visually very clean.

Screen navigation for general use. Hot buttons for commonly used features, ideally configurable.

Does the UI allow you to get into the race quick enough

Yes.

Where do you most often go when you return to the UI from a race

Exit game or another race.

team management, vehicle setup, and service area, to me are stale.  Can you really connect with someone (team member) that are just lines on a spreadsheet?  Vehicle setup and Service area, again are again like looking at a spread sheet.  I know everyone likes minimalist anymore (I don't but will comfort) but minimalist doesn't have to be devoid of any 3d modeling of a car (reflecting the custom livery you choose) highlighting tires if you are changing tires, etc.  Team management could have some faces or 3d models of people with clothes of something to represent who they are.  The basic interface can stay, its functional.  

Rather devote more time to other parts of the game?  People animations are already there, they just need to implement them into the interface and change some textures.  Car models are already there too, again just adding them to the interface.

Maybe this would bring more interaction to the team management feature than just showing numbers.

..to enter the the game with the enter key deletes the steering wheel profile...and i had no idea wich botton on my CSR-E is Button 1,2,3...
meanwhile i recognize which button has which function but this is frustrating.

I'm new to this forum, and I want to say that I'm really happy to be there :)
Let's go to my feedback.

It's great as always, even if I'm really impatient to see some new content!
    It's fine to hear your feedback, means that you are working in the game and the development is going well ;)
    Yes sure, Sneak Peaks and feedback about what's going on are always appreciated to me.
    It's early to comment, but you are doing a nice job!

UI Special Questions

Stage length and track (numbers) - It's easy to finish in a "endless loop" in the track selection
    No, the standard selection is fine to me for now, anyway maybe it could work later with new added stuff.
    I'm not using it much for now.
    You probably already know it, but it's missing Stage length :dizzy: 
    Sometimes. Maybe a slide with 3/4 images for every track would work better.
    Track length, Stage number and better time could help to familiarize with the track. (with some more stats)
    I still didn't end an event.
    It's nice, but would be better to be able to see the vehicle with the livery in a 3D View (like DiRT3),
    especially if you support external liveries (Steam Workshop!) or just support, no need for fancy things.
    Yes, it's immediate even if it's difficult sometimes to understand the buttons with a Racing Wheel (1, 2, 3 etc)
    As a Graphic Designer, I like how is clean and does have a professional taste :)
    Screen navigation for now, but that's personal taste.
    Yes sure, but it could be even quicker if you save the last track location into the quick event part.
    To another race, anyway sometimes I miss to watch the replay and I would like to see it, but it's lost :(
    As another side comment for the UI, you could add a feedback button to let us give feedback about the game from the game
    (private or public feedback, you decide!)

UI ??

give us a serius UI SETUP with numbers and toe and everything from Setup.

http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/3643/garage_gen.jpg

UI Special Questions

I really don't know which are the stages that I'm choosing in Quick Event, a map preview should be displayed.
    No, mostly because the "normal" menu is pretty clean and fast to understand/select thing.
    To me, it's OK. 
    Yeah, stage length, stage map and my personal best in that stage.
    Actually, no. I usually pick up the stages by luck, because I can't memorize their name and sometimes I just want to practice a determined stage.
    Quite good, in a rather objective way. No more sparks or flashy stuff are needed. Just leave it as is.
    It's easy to select the class you want, and then the cars are also easily recognized. As well as the stats below, which are pretty neat.
    Yeah, that's one extra point to you guys. Managing a team is usually hard, but in this game you were able to make it easy and enjoyable as well! (Seeing the stats going up and down as you cycle through the available mechanics is awesome!)
    It's fast, objective, clean. No useless, fancy Ken-Blocky stuff. Man, just select the stage and car you want, and you're ready to race!!!
    Screen navigation for sure.
    Yep. 
    Career and Quick Race