Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Dirt Rally - Frequent, seemingly random stutter

Andee67

I've had this issue since release. Essentially, I'm experiencing some issues with stutter, at least 3 or 4 times per stage, perhaps as many as 10-15 on occasions, for varying lengths of perhaps 2/10ths second up to a single instance of around 4 seconds. It happens with all tracks, stages and cars.

In gameplay terms, it makes it extremely difficult to finish a stage without crashing, or at least going off the road at some point.

All drivers are up to date, hdd is regularly defragged, no significant background programs apart from the usual device drivers and software. System spec is i7 3820/16GB RAM/GTX 980, Win7 64bit.

I sometimes get random microstutters but nowhere near 4 seconds, normally on monte carlo. Tried turning things down but still stutters although not as frequent. Then recently i found out that if i run a benchmark (where it never stutters) then race its seems a lot better (still get the odd stutter at end of monte carlo races).

Same as you, drivers up to date, Game is on 10,000rpm hard drive regularly defragged, OS on 280gb SSD. i7 4770k Stock, 16gb ram, R9 280x, Win7 64bit, Creative Sound Blaster Z, XBox 360 gamepad (no other usb devices plugged in).

I still get this too, everything as you described Andee67. I made a thread before, but none of the suggested solutions worked for me, but for the record they were:
Run on minimum everything with multiple monitor software disabled. 
Uninstall GeForce Experience
Use GeForce Experience's optimize feature

If anyone encounters a solution that would be great. It's good to see I'm not alone. Perhaps the devs will have a look if enough people have the issue!

I also occasionally get some micro stutterings (average 1 or 2 per stage) while playing the game and I'm using a pretty barebones laptop but good enough to play the game well.

Specs and settings that I use in this thread:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/5796/missing-effects-when-shader-detail-is-on-ultra-low-updated-dirt-rally#latest

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, check this thread. http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/1/617335934132920537/

I performed fixes one and two (cpu profile change and moving replay folder from ssd to hdd).

I believe my issues which sound identical to yours arose out of the replay writing to the ssd during the game. 
When I tried fix one the stutters became short but still existed. Having applied fix two I have since had no stutters. 

I think this makes sense as the longer races went on the more frequent the stutters were. Complete runs of Pikes Peak were impossible before but it works perfectly now!
K4mOnThen said:
I get this too.  Proabably once every 5 or so racers.  Its a fraction of a second but it enough to stuff up your race!

Brand newly built PC -  AMD 6 core, 8Bg RAM - win 7, 4Gb R9 290X graphics card.
Similar in terms of frequency and also for me it only lasts a fraction of a second. It seems (for me at least) to be when something is writing to the harddrive which is why I think it only happens every 5 or so races and there is no pattern to replicating it.

Setup: Win7 x64, G25, 2.5" drive hybrid drive 1TB capacity with 8GB of onboard flash memory, overclocked AMD 8350 Black edition 4.0ghz, 8gb Corsair Ram, XFX 4gb R290 (think that's a Black edition too).

Kam - just for clarification you're running a Phenom II 1055T 6 core overclocked to 3.2ghz
  • 2 weeks later...
yes, I have also this problem, it is unacceptable from CODEMASTERS, the devs seem to ignore this problem, everyone is not affected, so this is an optimization problem because all the other games run very well (AC, PC ...) they must really take this seriously, otherwise they will lose the world , really, it seem not to listening to the community, a simple answer would be the least, you pay ! NO  .....

THESE PROBLEMS SHOULD NOT LAST, WE ARE IN 2015 !!!

Hi, check this thread. http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/1/617335934132920537/

I performed fixes one and two (cpu profile change and moving replay folder from ssd to hdd).

I believe my issues which sound identical to yours arose out of the replay writing to the ssd during the game. 
When I tried fix one the stutters became short but still existed. Having applied fix two I have since had no stutters. 

I think this makes sense as the longer races went on the more frequent the stutters were. Complete runs of Pikes Peak were impossible before but it works perfectly now!
I tried fixes 1 + 2, 1 worked ok, but 2 seriously screwed up my replays. The game ran smooth until I croosed the finish line and it cut to the slowmo camera, it would slowmo and then suddenly the car would shoot off into the distance and wedge itself between an Ambulance and a flatbed truck and the starting the replay would leave it there, so you got to watch the car going forward and backward, trring to get itself free. Pretty funny, but not what I was after lol.
thank you a lot, but already tried, no resolution.

it's not up to us to find the solution.
it's too easy for devs, they create circuits, cars, but the game is not optimized !!

MONSTROUS. :/

“Il est très important pour nous que DiRT Rally soit le meilleur jeu possible, et ce n'est qu'avec votre aide que nous y arriverons. L'accès anticipé sur Steam est le meilleur moyen pour cela. Nous pensons que DiRT Rally est un jeu que beaucoup de nos fans attendent, et pour le moment, notre projet est de le développer en fonction des retours de la communauté pour proposer une expérience de jeu des plus justes.”

• DiRT RALLY AND THE COMMUNITY: The community is DiRT Rally’s co-driver and their feedback will help shape the evolution of the experience. For players joining DiRT Rally in Early Access and the road ahead, the team want their feedback. They’ll be helping to test theories and providing vital data that will help to refine DiRT Rally.

I have a similar problem, only it's not a stutter I get massive slowdown, the benchmark test average was around 70fps, but in game it'll drop to around 20 or less, making it unplayable. Nothing I've tried resolves the problem. The slowdown happens at the same sections of track every time.
I found another possible solution. Changing Priority in Task Manager.

Start game - Press Windows key+E- scroll down to toolbar -right click mouse - select Task Manager - Select Details - Right Click on drt.exe - Select 'Set Priority' - Change to High.

You have to it everytime you start the game. There are apps which allow you to save your priority settings, but not paying attention to which buttons you click WILL stop your boot disk from booting up next time you switch on your pc, forcing you to reinstall your OS and the many, many updates that come with it. (Which is what I spent Tuesday doing)

Archived