Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Randomly Generated Stages

For those you who own Gran Turismo 5, you'll know the proof of concept that I'm talking about. It would be a huge undertaking and something I wouldn't expect in the release of the game, def as an expansion or major update later on down the road. Randomly Generated stages, that along with excellent navigator, would be great I think. As with any DiRT game I would get to a point where I memorized the course, shut the co driver off, and just treated it like a time attack. A quality generator would drive the replay factor through the roof ontop of the many other reasons to play this game forever! [FOr refrence, GT would build a course based on a number of parameters that were set as well as a theme such as the local. If a generator would be made I would imagine it would be "pick a local" let's say Wales and from there it would generate with a basic set of parameters for what you would typically see in that region, etc. etc.] LOTS of work and thought would go into this, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out they want to do something like this, but only after everything else is done and out in the wild first.

This would be great, because as you mentioned well get to a point where everyone is pretty familiar with the 6 stages and their reverse counterparts pretty quickly. Part of what makes rally great is that its not a time attack, but this can get lost quickly. I dont know how much work it would take but I'd love to see some procedurally generated stages. Im sure its not possible at this point, but if they could put it off I'd love it. Also, the co driver would need a reworking as there's already issues with the calls (dont call a 60 acute right as I'm midair over a right 6 jump!)

GT was able to do it and they had aucj smaller stage banl to pull from compared to Codemasters!

UglyTroll said:
That would be great but seems impossible to me.
UglyTroll is right in that the execution could be difficult to achieve, but Codemasters dos have a large team available.
It really would increase the replay-ability on top of the current genuine rally tracks.

This could be a whole game by itself, but it word be insanely hard to do I would think. I definitely want someone to do it though.

Voted No because I don't think it's possible to realise combined with the right pacenotes, the data that would be necessary to connect the different Corners with the right pacenote AND the right timing of the pacenotes during the stages would blow up the game to much I guess.

Can somebody tell me how the connection between stages and pacenotes is actually realised at the Moment? Is the pacenote recorded for every single stage or are there different clips which the game puts in the right place while running the stage? I'm not right in to this technical part :)

Voted no because i don't think it's the right approach for getting quality tracks.
What i would push for instead is the ability to add tracks by modding.
Looking at the insane amount of tracks available for RBR i'm sure that we can leave this up to the modding community and get some high quality tracks.
Of course it would greatly help if codemasters makes a good tool available for creating tracks. So my vote would go to investing the effort into a track (and car!) creation tool, and let the community take it from there.
Cities skylines did the same. Just add a map- and asset editor and let the community go wild. We're now about 1,5 months after release and as we speak there are 9000+ maps on the steam workshop and a total of 40.000 items.
Succes guaranteed i'd say.

This would be way harder to implement than the payoff would be in the times we live in. Maybe in 2025. :P

Codies if you decide to take this on and make it a foolproof feature, you will have acheived greatness and i would love it, but im doubting the capabilities for such a system at the moment, so I wouldnt bother.