DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Tyre strategy

Posted (edited)

Hi, I'm just looking at tyres again. Most of the threads related to when the game first came out but there have been many patches since then and I'm not sure if the whole tyre thing has been updated as when first released it was pretty much bland when it could have been a great feature.

I get that in career with only 2 runs before a service that softs is a no brainer but does surface temperature come into play? For example, irl, softs are fast unless they overheat so is there a difference running softs in say wales where it's cold against running softs in Australia or Spain? Would you get a time advantage running meds in a country where the track is hot against a soft?

This feature could have been so cool but it's just half cocked and only really has any bearing in a club championship or a custom one. Even then, without temperature effects and pressures it's still not much of a gamble.

Has anyone had any enjoyment from the whole tyre feature? I have no idea why they made such a fuss about it and video's explaining the feature then put service stations every two stages in career. This alone was ripe to be patched, even randomising it would have brought some sort of strategy into play. 

Looking at the WRC site for the upcoming Mexico rally it says:

Expect to see both medium and hard compound tyres, the latter more likely in the afternoons when drivers face higher temperatures and hard-packed roads.

and for others that are in the game:

Finland:

Packed gravel roads mean medium compound tyres will be the template choice, but soft compound rubber is also available.

Argentina:

Both medium and hard compound tyres available, with the focus likely to be on medium.

Germany:

Hard compound rubber available for hot and dry conditions, with soft option for wet or cold weather. A full wet tyre is available in case of very heavy rain.

All I read is that everyone uses softs and never hards which alludes to a failure when implementing the whole tyre thing which is a massive shame.

Edited by DozUK
addition
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think that tires uses any temperature value, it looks more like it uses wear values that's a lot easier to implement. Temperature is closely related with tire pressure, and there is no tire pressure to adjust or to check.

I think tires are the biggest debt on this game. I don't ask for something too complex, but tires should work better, they should have a better transition from grip to slide, it would bring better feedback to the driver.

About the compounds, they current ones seem wasted as everybody uses the soft. There should be less difference about grip between different compounds, and wear should must be a bigger factor than today. In example, a soft tire should last only one stage, so you should choose the medium compund for those events when there isn't asistance between stages.

Edited by damianbaldi
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

From what I remember talking about right after launch, the issue with how similar tire degradation feels and the lack of need for Hards is more involved than just adjusting the wear models. If I'm remembering the conversation correctly, and this would have been like 6-8 months ago so it's a bit hazy, some of the team who worked with earlier builds actually said the tire degradation models we want were fully implemented. Softs were defintely limited in their use, and mediums/hards were used a ton during internal testing events. But somewhere near the product going Gold (basically the 1.0 production build) they found a bug that could have some pretty serious side effects related to the tire wear models. Relaxing the models a bit to an earlier version with less dramatic wear fixed those issues, but left us with the current problem of hards being useless.

Sadly, in the current form we are still left with Softs being the only viable choice in My Team events and Mediums being reserved for Clubs that do 35+ miles (7+ sprints) between service stops. I don't think this will ever change as it is a dependency built around something in the current game engine that is pretty much done seeing any major changes. Hopefully they can bring over the tire models from PC2/F1 and include those in the future titles so we can build on this potentiall awesome mechanic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

Hopefully they can bring over the tire models from PC2/F1 and include those in the future titles so we can build on this potentiall awesome mechanic.

It could help for the tarmac tires, but CD should do a gravel tire as they are in real life, that means a tire with a very very stiff carcass (almost like a truck tire), and that's a base for a lot different sensations on the steering wheel. Gravel tires have a taller sidewall too (at least in modern cars), so the way they flex is different than the tarmac tires, both kind of tires should lose the grip in a different way in concordance with their construction, material, dimension and tread.

Here is a video that explain some characteristics of gravel tires.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

From what I remember talking about right after launch, the issue with how similar tire degradation feels and the lack of need for Hards is more involved than just adjusting the wear models. If I'm remembering the conversation correctly, and this would have been like 6-8 months ago so it's a bit hazy, some of the team who worked with earlier builds actually said the tire degradation models we want were fully implemented. Softs were defintely limited in their use, and mediums/hards were used a ton during internal testing events. But somewhere near the product going Gold (basically the 1.0 production build) they found a bug that could have some pretty serious side effects related to the tire wear models. Relaxing the models a bit to an earlier version with less dramatic wear fixed those issues, but left us with the current problem of hards being useless.

Sadly, in the current form we are still left with Softs being the only viable choice in My Team events and Mediums being reserved for Clubs that do 35+ miles (7+ sprints) between service stops. I don't think this will ever change as it is a dependency built around something in the current game engine that is pretty much done seeing any major changes. Hopefully they can bring over the tire models from PC2/F1 and include those in the future titles so we can build on this potentiall awesome mechanic.

That would have been great, such a shame as it's a big miss.

I had taken a break from the game but I've since now bought seasons 3&4 to complete the line up and loving it again. Just a shame about the tyre strategy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Today I decided to check how long hard compound will last in Spain. It took about 60 km until they were completely worn.

So, for such distances it must be more useful to choose hard tyres over mediums.

...right?

11 hours ago, danielofifi said:

Today I decided to check how long hard compound will last in Spain. It took about 60 km until they were completely worn.

So, for such distances it must be more useful to choose hard tyres over mediums.

...right?

have to try doing 60 Km on the mediums to see just how bad they end up by that point. I'll note that various RWD cars, (or maybe it's the stupid suspension alignments i try to use) go through tyres like crazy, think i had the Porsche 911 Grp B get Mediums to Worn at or before 25KM on gravel?

14 hours ago, danielofifi said:

...right?

I think a better test would be seeing how far you can go on Softs before they get Worn, as Softs are the preferred choice for pretty much anything under 20km between Service Areas.

Also, places like Argentina and Greece will (I believe) destroy tyres faster due to the heavier gravel.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I think a better test would be seeing how far you can go on Softs before they get Worn, as Softs are the preferred choice for pretty much anything under 20km between Service Areas.

Also, places like Argentina and Greece will (I believe) destroy tyres faster due to the heavier gravel.

Thats correct. Its not only the lenght of the stage but im not sure if its actually depending on which kind of gravel or if its because Argentina for example has a lot of sharp turns?

Edited by somethingthing

Likely both. Argentina has the roughest gravel in the game.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Likely both. Argentina has the roughest gravel in the game.

Maybe you can ask the developers this, it should be easy to answer. Let us know what affect the tyre wear. Like is it worse if we really abuse the tyres going sideways a lot, different gravel types, locking up the brakes etc etc 🙂  

Edited by somethingthing

3 hours ago, nbates66 said:

have to try doing 60 Km on the mediums to see just how bad they end up by that point. I'll note that various RWD cars, (or maybe it's the stupid suspension alignments i try to use) go through tyres like crazy, think i had the Porsche 911 Grp B get Mediums to Worn at or before 25KM on gravel?

Well, I used exactly this car in my test, Group B Porsche. :)