Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[IMPROVEMENT] Quantity or Diversity ?

First of all, I wanted to create this poll because almost everyone is talking about new countries and/or new tracks for the ones that already exist in the game. After gathering information around Dirt and Steam forums, as well as from the Community manager himself, I'm now able to conclude a thing or two about the creation of the stages: It is much quicker and easier for them to include new stages in each country than creating a completely out-from-the-scratch new environment - AKA countries -. That being said, we now have two "options"

1) We can get more stages per rally, like, 7 or 8 completely different routes in each contry. This way, we won't have to race again and again through the same forest section in UK, for example. Also, the number of stages would skyrocket! [6 routes x 8 stages = 48 tracks per rally!]

2) Or we can get some more countries, with distinct environments from each other. Every location would have a unique scenery, making each one a unique experience. However, this way we would get only the actual 2 stages per rally, limiting our options to racing through the same snowy section in Monte Carlo over and over again.

I'd like to hear what you guys actually want: a smaller, but varied game, or a bigger one, but with less racing options.
Last but not least, I know the ultimate decision is on behalf of Codies, but we can at least help them in such a hard scenario. Thanks!

More stages per rally.

Both would add to the diversity in different ways but as a rally fan (not so much a driving sim fan) I'm here for authenticity, so I'd rather each rally was as good and authentic as it could be, within development limitations.

Provided the game remains true to it's stated simulation ideals I'd be tolerant of the idea of new rallies as DLC (depending on cost).

I do enjoy this game so much and I would without a doubt throw money at Codemasters to release new locations as DLC Further down the road.

Good poll, a genuinely interesting one for a change - the results so far surprise me too.

I would definitely like the current locations (and planned ones) to be filled out with a few stages.

When I want to run a custom event at the moment, I'm doing 'Day 1' as the two short versions of one stage (morning/midday), a service, the same again (afternoon/night) and then repeating that with the other two stages for 'Day 2'. It would be able to do this trick/structure using the longer versions of stages.

And yes, if there is rally-based DLC after early access finishes, bring it on.

Also, @CheeseGromit - fantastic username sir.

We already know we will have Germany, Sweden and Finland in the game, so having a total of 6 countries for me plus Pikes Peak is more than enough diversity, and 2 unique stages per country falls very short on content compared to other rally games in history, so yeah, it comes without any doubt I'm not surprised by the results of this poll. I will vote too for more unique stages per rally, as it's the only option that really make sense. Why codies would create completely new assets for a new country...something that takes hours of work just to make two stages out of it...

With the upcoming tracks and cars I agree that the focus should be on more stages per rally and more unique stages, because Germany, Pikes Peak, Finland etc. should offer many possibilities to create impressive and fun to drive stages.
There is no need to rush things and if the game is done well I would even be happy to purchase DLCs after the game is officially released, which would be a rare exception for me at least.  

More stages per rally. Longer stages as well, that can be dissected to give some variety and added to the career for early career easier content to the ones that need such, and full lenght when you start entering the powerful RWD and 4WD cars.

More locations; I remember Ubisoft's (pretty bad) Pro Rally 2001, it had many locations but only 2 tracks in each; I liked the variety though, over lots of samey forests.

I think with the content planned, we'd already have a pretty damn diverse spread of surface types and environments. It'd be cool to see what Codemasters can do to expand the existing environments.

I think with the content planned, we'd already have a pretty damn diverse spread of surface types and environments. It'd be cool to see what Codemasters can do to expand the existing environments.
I voted for more locations, but I agree with this just as much. So I guess I want more locations, and more stages. And more cars. And more time to play.

Oh more stages all the way!

Even if we have just 6 environments and 8 stages each, that's 48 stages which is much more like the real rally season experience of 12 rallies each having 16 stages. (okay 192 stages may be a bit too much for Codies but ill take 48)

However having 12 rallies with 4 stages each (still totalling 48) wouldn't be too bad because it would make some diversity in the looks of each country. One could be a desert rally, a hilly and winding dirt road, or a narrow track through a forest in Finland!

I'm split either way and when I weigh up one I like it, but I consider the other and end up changing my opinion.
I think that my definitive answer would have to be more stages in fewer environments.

I vote more stages because like you said it's easier to add more stages then a complete new country. I think a good base of rallies with a bigger variety of stages from codies and based on that the modder can show their skills on creating new countries :)

This is a nice poll could you do the same for Cars, as id vote for more variety in class over quantity within a class when it comes to cars. 
As for stages, I feel like they should deffinately try to get more out of each location before going going to new ones especially if its much more efficient build time wise.

You can still have a variety of stages within one country and have them look somehow different. Even if they're all using shared assets.

More stages first to give a closer to real world  rallying
Depending on class & types over event  , entry level events  should only be a few stage long like you would get at club levels
Then just incress the stage km's & amounts  as you rise through the events.

But we also need more events to give it the season type feel.

Looooooooooonger stages. So, in effect - More longer stages per rally.

I've heard it somewhere that the current stages are maximum lenght and that is why you cannot join both sides of Col de Turini. Pikes Peak disproves that talk and therefore it should be possible to make much, much longer stages, thank you very much.

Rally Championship 2000 was released in 1999 and had upward of 20km forest stages. Nobody, and I mean nobody is telling me that in the year of 2015, renowned racing game company cannot produce stages longer than 10km. :)

Slabator said:

Rally Championship 2000 was released in 1999 and had upward of 20km forest stages. Nobody, and I mean nobody is telling me that in the year of 2015, renowned racing game company cannot produce stages longer than 10km. :)
If you want stages of a similar graphical quality, I'm sure they could make some longer ones ;)

I more want a balance of the two, but I voted more locations because that should be the focus at the moment. There should be just enough stages per location that the environment and surfaces are explored without it getting tiresome, so no more than they have done with the locations they already have really.

Slabator said:

If you want stages of a similar graphical quality, I'm sure they could make some longer ones ;)
RC2000 was graphical wise on the same level in 1999 that DR is in 2015. It is scaleable. And graphical detail/lenght of longer stages shouldn't affect the performance in any way except the loading time.

At the end of EA we should have 6 unique locations, adding 2 more long stages to each location with the split and reverse options would make this game one fantastic challenge. 

At the end of EA we should have 6 unique locations, adding 2 more long stages to each location with the split and reverse options would make this game one fantastic challenge. 
I hope something like that is a realistic target, I agree with you 100%.

Good poll. As stated I think more diverse stages of present locations first. And then more locations as DLC's. Such as Australia, New Zealand, China, France. 

Tho I would quite  like Australia in the the base game if poss. :)

Yep, this is what we should be aiming for to start. Even if it's DLC for future locations 

The Hafren (Mid Wales) stages are easy to link together at Eastern end and at roughly midway through both stages with a real world fireroad. Add in the Old Mine hilltop crossing at the western end of both stages plus a loop around the top of Severn Valley past the meteorological station and you vastly improve the stage combinations with most of the asset work already done.  This would also allow for one massive stage of Pikes Peak proportions.

Something similar could be done in the south of France with the road south from Col de Turini down to Piera Cava but I'd much prefer the road up to Piera Cava from Luceram.

I don't know the area used for Greece well enough to suggest anything there.

I would also be more than willing to pay for DLC by region after the Early access ends as long as it we were to include an similar amount of content to the current countries with something similar to that suggested above.