DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Expanded Information

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see an expansion of the information about the vehicles, more info for the tracks, descriptions for tuning options and descriptions for repair options. I'll go through a quick rundown of what I'm imagining for each category.

==============================

Expanded Vehicle Information - For all the info that's already shown, there are a few things that aren't there that would be useful. Things like the Ride Height, the amount of Torque produced by the engine, and how much the HP and/or Torque is changed when you upgrade the engine. Being a nerd, I could also go for a little more info regarding the Vehicle History, but that's just me.

Expanded Track Information - It seems to me that although there is a lot of useful info, some of it is incomplete. My biggest annoyance is the info about Elevation Change, all it says is the difference between the Start and Finish. There's nothing about whether that change is going up or down, or what the elevation of the Start or Finish lines are. This would be especially useful on the tracks with higher elevations, since it seems like certain vehicles have a loss of engine power on those. I also think it would be helpful to be able to access some sort of 3D model of the track when you look at it's info when at the Service Area or when choosing a track, like for Custom Events or Time Trials.

Description for Tuning Options - What I mean for this is making a few adjustments to how the Tuning Option is presented and expanding some of their descriptions. For example, the way the options for Brake Bias and Torque Bias are represented should be changed from a simple percentage that goes up or down; instead it should be two numbers ( 50/50 ) to show the amount of power going to both the front and rear. The Ride Height option could also be adjusted, because as it is, all you're told is how many millimeters you are raising or lowering it. You don't know if the Ride Height is constant, or if it changes with the different Surface Types. It'd be a little more helpful to know what the actual Ride Height is and have that shown as the stat that's being changed.

Descriptions for Repair Options - When repairing a vehicle, there come times when you just can't afford everything. However, all you're told is how much damage each part has received. You don't know what that damage actually does unless you've been playing long enough to know what each tier of damage (Light, Medium, Heavy) actually means for certain parts. Some things are obvious (if your Engine is damaged, you go slower; if your Transmission is damaged, your shifting is affected; etc.), but I don't like not knowing what does what.

Edited by PoSNameless
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2020 at 8:29 PM, PoSNameless said:

Expanded Track Information - It seems to me that although there is a lot of useful info, some of it is incomplete. My biggest annoyance is the info about Elevation Change, all it says is the difference between the Start and Finish. There's nothing about whether that change is going up or down, or what the elevation of the Start or Finish lines are. This would be especially useful on the tracks with higher elevations, since it seems like certain vehicles have a loss of engine power on those. I also think it would be helpful to be able to access some sort of 3D model of the track when you look at it's info when at the Service Area or when choosing a track, like for Custom Events or Time Trials.

agree with everything you say in your post, but I wanted to highlight this part, as I was thinking about it this morning. it would be nice to have figures for the total elevation gained and lost on a given stage.

as for the 3D model to see what it looks like, Dirt 4 actually had that, and those stages were procedurally generated!

the satellite view in the loading screen with the information whooshing past is really awesome though.

Edited by ianism

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2020 at 12:29 AM, PoSNameless said:

Description for Tuning Options - What I mean for this is making a few adjustments to how the Tuning Option is presented and expanding some of their descriptions. For example, the way the options for Brake Bias and Torque Bias are represented should be changed from a simple percentage that goes up or down; instead it should be two numbers ( 10/90 ) to show the amount of power going to both the front and rear. The Ride Height option could also be adjusted, because as it is, all you're told is how many millimeters you are raising or lowering it. You don't know if the Ride Height is constant, or if it changes with the different Surface Types. It'd be a little more helpful to know what the actual Ride Height is and have that shown as the stat that's being changed.

Descriptions for Repair Options - When repairing a vehicle, there come times when you just can't afford everything. However, all you're told is how much damage each part has received. You don't know what that damage actually does unless you've been playing long enough to know what each tier of damage (Light, Medium, Heavy) actually means for certain parts. Some things are obvious (if your Engine is damaged, you go slower; if your Transmission is damaged, your shifting is affected; etc.), but I don't like not knowing what does what.

These two points are also really good, particularly the repair affects. I usually prioritise repairs based on the indicator, but what you suggest would allow much more informed decisions.

I'd also add that it would be good to have a description of the various assists and settings in the in-game options (e.g. clutch override, SC, TC, launch control, etc). Sure, you probably only need to be told what each of those is once, but anyone who doesn't know has to go find out elsewhere, which seems unnecessary. 

Edited by redrook
  • Agree 1

On 3/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, ianism said:

the satellite view in the loading screen with the information whooshing past is really awesome though.

Yeah that is a very cool loading screen, most racers have something much more boring.