Handling in 2019

Why is the handling in F1 2019 so numb/dead. I bought 2019 and instantly the handling felt numb and dead and felt like the car would understeer regardless of what I did. I put in 2017 and the game felt great and the car did what I asked it too. The handling in 2019 is just garbage.  Just no feel or sensation the car is doing what you ask. It also feel unrealistically heavy too me. 

I am playing with a controller btw. The cars just feel horrible under braking too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/13/2020 at 6:28 PM, maxim650 said:

Have you turned of understeer in the settings 

Are you playing me? haha! The handling plain sucks.

On 3/13/2020 at 3:30 PM, hockeytown1926 said:

Why is the handling in F1 2019 so numb/dead. I bought 2019 and instantly the handling felt numb and dead and felt like the car would understeer regardless of what I did. I put in 2017 and the game felt great and the car did what I asked it too. The handling in 2019 is just garbage.  Just no feel or sensation the car is doing what you ask. It also feel unrealistically heavy too me. 

I am playing with a controller btw. The cars just feel horrible under braking too.

This is sooo true, I literally went on f1 2017 this weekend, and its so much more enjoyable and easy to drive rather than 2019, its way to understeery and just to numb as you said, even the 2018 handling model was and is still way more enjoyable than 2019!

• Agree 1

F1 rules and cars have changed in the past 2 years.

2017 we had the best downforce ever.

2019 during rule change: the downforce of the front wing was reduced and you have smaller wind deflectors....thats why the handling in-game is diffrent from 17 to 19 and you have maybe a lot of understeering.

also the car is heavier in 2019 (740 kg) compared to 2017 (728kg)

13 minutes ago, 2Pacalypse said:

F1 rules and cars have changed in the past 2 years.

2017 we had the best downforce ever.

2019 during rule change: the downforce of the front wing was reduced and you have smaller wind deflectors....thats why the handling in-game is diffrent from 17 to 19 and you have maybe a lot of understeering.

also the car is heavier in 2019 (740 kg) compared to 2017 (728kg)

2018 was better than 2017 because the rules stayed also quite stable and they got maximum return on aero from the cars.

this year is the same. F1 tried to negate the dirty air last year with the front wing rules and stuff, yet still are the 2020 cars the fastest we will ever see them since 2021 is less downforce and more ground effect based. 

based on drivers reactions to the wintertesting and the times they were pulling out, we'll be in for a laprecord breaking season. If it ever starts that is....

but when you come to think of it, V12 era, V10 era, V8 Era, i've seen and heard them all in real life. 

now they drive with a 1.6!!! Litre V6 turbo engine with ERS, and put out more than 1000 BHP. In my time having a 1.6 engine with 100 bhp was already bad ass.

1000+ bhp out of an 1.6 engine, completely bonkers.

Edited by AlexTT
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, AlexTT said:

this year is the same. F1 tried to negate the dirty air last year with the front wing rules and stuff, yet still are the 2020 cars the fastest we will ever see them since 2021 is less downforce and more ground effect based. 

I know that. I just wanted to explain why he has this feeling of understeer...because:

the F1 2019 game was released (and in development earlier) so they (CM) had only the regulation, that the downforce will be smaller. thats why they changed the handling.

But you know the real designer and engineers they dont care about 30% less downforce on the front wing, so they will find these missing 30% somewhere else and the game developers didnt take that in their calculation.

Thats why F1 2020 cars will be the fastest (downforce and cornering speed) ever or like I called them "Hot lap cars" because they are all good in Qualifying conditions but in the race....they have to stay back for 2-3 seconds to avoid dirty air and temperature risig of the engine tyres etc....but thats another topic :D

• Like 1

I can tell you and I live steamed (F12019 senna vs prost legend edition 3 days early access )

The handling was superb. It was sim like and if you took assists off the faster you could go.

We ran a f12019 league and pad vs wheel was equal

Even when you braked your wheel would twitch  .

All the car setups worked.

That was on patch 1.04 .

After that it got worse and worse with every patch.

No one uses the actual f12019 cars but everyone uses the MULTIPLAYER car  .

Good news is that the last two patches something has changed for the better.  

It's a shame because F1 is a cash machine and to have a game go under half price from 2 months from released date is not a good look.

Adding all those very silly avatars to generate money was another waste of time. 

You made a brilliant game in F12019. Then you tinkered and made it almost unplayable. 

These should be lessons learned for f12020  .

Make a brilliant game  then add good quality DLC to the game. and you will find that the game will still make good money all year round. 

Now that's business. 

22 minutes ago, 2Pacalypse said:

I know that. I just wanted to explain why he has this feeling of understeer...because:

the F1 2019 game was released (and in development earlier) so they (CM) had only the regulation, that the downforce will be smaller. thats why they changed the handling.

But you know the real designer and engineers they dont care about 30% less downforce on the front wing, so they will find these missing 30% somewhere else and the game developers didnt take that in their calculation.

Thats why F1 2020 cars will be the fastest (downforce and cornering speed) ever or like I called them "Hot lap cars" because they are all good in Qualifying conditions but in the race....they have to stay back for 2-3 seconds to avoid dirty air and temperature risig of the engine tyres etc....but thats another topic 😄

It's not only engine overheating, when trailing within 1,5 seconds for a while, you also overheat the front tyres, thus wear is much bigger, grip will be less and risk of blistering within the tyres. 

most manufacturers have worked on the engine cooling for 2020 so that would be a lesser problem than the tyres overheating. 

as in every season the tyres will decide the championship for 80%. Who can manage them best.

it's not for nothing that Mercedes already is mandated to remove the extra cooling duct on the rear suspension because it's not within the allowed height of where cooling ducts are allowed. They had one built in the rear suspension arm to cool the rear tyres. Because of the increased downforce this year I expect that the tyres are beeing seriously loaded, especially in race trim with full tanks. More weight equals higher temps, higher load, thus more wear. 

since these are the same tyres as last year, expect teams to have problems in the first races where temperatures are high. 

12 hours ago, senna94f1 said:

I can tell you and I live steamed (F12019 senna vs prost legend edition 3 days early access )

The handling was superb. It was sim like and if you took assists off the faster you could go.

We ran a f12019 league and pad vs wheel was equal

Even when you braked your wheel would twitch  .

All the car setups worked.

That was on patch 1.04 .

After that it got worse and worse with every patch.

No one uses the actual f12019 cars but everyone uses the MULTIPLAYER car  .

Good news is that the last two patches something has changed for the better.  

It's a shame because F1 is a cash machine and to have a game go under half price from 2 months from released date is not a good look.

Adding all those very silly avatars to generate money was another waste of time. 

You made a brilliant game in F12019. Then you tinkered and made it almost unplayable. 

These should be lessons learned for f12020  .

Make a brilliant game  then add good quality DLC to the game. and you will find that the game will still make good money all year round. 

Now that's business. 

I keep reading that they had a good game and then patched the heck out of it and made a bad game; but no one ever gives real specifics.  What changed that made it not a good game?  I know they made some changes to make the cars faster to closer match real life.  Was this the patch the game went from good to bad?  What do you feel changed in handling and otherwise? 

(AI wet balancing is one that is always listed specifically as they went from too easy to God like to just Herculean; so feel free to leave that out)

2019 is my first Codemasters F1 game and I love it still and haven't noticed any patched killing handling or game play. (career mode player).  But so many multi title players hate F1 2019 and I'm honestly wanting to hear more specifics to why.

More on OT. the cars are a bit under-steery but with nothing to compare to it's still very manageable and after getting some setups I find I just have to adjust my driving and not over drive the car.  With the changes in aero heading into 2019 you can see how that got built into the games DNA.

It's a game and should be fun to drive. Either go for extreme realism and add assists for beginners, or go full arcade but allow better drivers to add more realism to their tastes. Having it somewhere in the middle to start with is like sitting on the fence. Nobody is really happy.

Edited by sloppysmusic
Terrible spelling!
  • Agree 4

On 3/16/2020 at 5:16 AM, AlexTT said:

2018 was better than 2017 because the rules stayed also quite stable and they got maximum return on aero from the cars.

based on drivers reactions to the wintertesting and the times they were pulling out, we'll be in for a laprecord breaking season. If it ever starts that is....

but when you come to think of it, V12 era, V10 era, V8 Era, i've seen and heard them all in real life. 

now they drive with a 1.6!!! Litre V6 turbo engine with ERS, and put out more than 1000 BHP. In my time having a 1.6 engine with 100 bhp was already bad ass.

1000+ bhp out of an 1.6 engine, completely bonkers.

To put it into perspective: I have a 2.0 litre engine in my "sports" car and the total horsepower is about the same as just the boost from ERS.

I love the fact that a lot of this hybrid tech that is developed by F1 is then transferred over to the road car industry.

An actual F1 driver said the cars feel "squishy", "feels like you are on jelly" today.

I agree with him, cars feel heavy and unresponsive IMO.  

• Agree 1

Agreed,

we use multiplayer cars , f12019 has got better again with last couple of updates but it still doesn't feel like it did for wheel users on day one release, 

I believe dayone release was patch 1.03 , f12019 was truly excellent,

then we got to patch 1.04 ,  and it went downhill,  and that's when we noticed car setups didn't work anymore,

regarding F12020 , I will definitely wait until 6 to 8 weeks after its release, and you will see price goes down by 50% .

the Schumacher 1994 and 1995 cars look fantastic,

also with there being no actual real F1 for 2020 ,it's difficult to justify even buying F12020,

i would have rather codemasters just added DLC (Schumachers 94 and 95 cars ) added to F12019 .

along with new tracks.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 9:29 AM, 2Pacalypse said:

THIS. Codemasters messed up the cars characteristics. 

Hopefully the 2020 cars will be correctly tuned, with proper downforce and grip levels.

Last year in F1 2019, depending from track to track, each car had a range of 5% all the way up to 30% of missing downforce or grip level. Console players were left behind by Codemasters and did not get a official fix for it and are forced to drive with unrealistic car performance values to this day. But thankfully on PC, due to modding, this was easy to fix for privateers (which made it even more unfortunate to realize that the official game developer of F1 did not consider to do this themselves...).

Either way, how could Codemasters prevent such a dilemma from happening again?

A) Give us a Live Season Car performance / Team performance / Driver performance service, that updates all these values accordingly after every 3 real life races to match real life performances as close as possible, throughout the whole season.

B) Give us a ingame editor mode, where we can easily adjust car performance values (grip, downforce, engine power etc.) for each individual team, as well as driver performance values (consistency, aggressiveness, cleanliness, wet weather driving, speed, car conserving etc.) for each individual driver.

C) Give us A+B at the same time, as in FIFA, or NBA, or NFL, or NHL etc., where it has been a standard feature since the early 2000's and even late 90's.

Whatever Codemasters do, improvements need to be made. F1 2019's car performance and handling was extremely off to its real life counterpart.

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
  • Agree 1