Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×

Coronavirus and F1 2020 - Thread

UP100

Do note while viewing older messages that the thread title was changed from a Chinese GP specific title to a general title about F1 2020 on 13/03/2020.

Message added by UP100

14 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

If the race before the season begins is sanctioned to be off the calendar, there is no use of including it in the game, as that would be an accurate reflection of the current season. But if Codemasters have already planned for its inclusion in the game, then it becomes a bonus for players! I'd like to see it in the game for sure! We can have Jeff say something about Covid-19 to make it all official and all! 😂😂

😂 That would be brilliant. Imagine driving around Bahrain in game with no crowd... I would like to hope Codies keep China in game. Do we know if/when the FIA are going to make a final call on whether China will be moved to later in the year?

Looks like Australia may be off too, now McLaren pulled out (again, if by some unbelievable reason it goes ahead, will McLaren not be there in the game? I doubt it...).

At this rate, the F1 2020 game might be better being called off, especially if none of the new events end up running 😕

Otherwise it'll be Fantasy F1 2020

• Sad 1

If the current situation keeps developing like this we will have a virtual Championship. Would be good if all the actual drivers would participate in an E-sport Championship. This would boost e-games and further development of the game. The new generation of drivers would embrace this I think. 

Posted (edited)

Australia is cancelled.

So, yeah, get on it Codemasters: get them doing virtual races for the ones that aren't on TV 😄

Edited by VirtuaIceMan

45 minutes ago, VirtuaIceMan said:

Australia is cancelled.

So, yeah, get on it Codemasters: get them doing virtual races for the ones that aren't on TV 😄

As far as I understand this is yet to be confirmed, although it is quite likely. I do think there are at least some people who still would want to race, like always.

Posted (edited)

This post has been merged to here
Original title of the post: "Should Codemasters release F1 2020 if the 2020 F1 season gets cancelled due to the corona epidemic?" -UP100

What do you think? Should they wait another year or should they release it without a real life F1 season?

Edited by UP100

4 hours ago, 1512marcel said:

If the current situation keeps developing like this we will have a virtual Championship. Would be good if all the actual drivers would participate in an E-sport Championship. This would boost e-games and further development of the game. The new generation of drivers would embrace this I think. 

It would be awesome if we had a virtual championship, it would probably be more exciting than the actual season.

As for the game I hope they just keep the full championship I can't see anyone buying the game this year for a season that has missing races or tracks, value for money trumps realism when it comes to buying a new game 

Posted (edited)

Hey!

I've changed some things, so do check the message that is on dark red at the top of this page 🙂 

Edited by UP100

I still say it'd be a very nice game touch if Codemasters could figure out how to make it work that any teams that withdrawl or any events that are cancelled are omitted from season 1 of career mode only.

However now is time to hope that we start to see slowdown on the spread of this thing so we aren't depleting our resources.

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2020 at 5:32 AM, RyxProductions said:

😂 That would be brilliant. Imagine driving around Bahrain in game with no crowd... I would like to hope Codies keep China in game. Do we know if/when the FIA are going to make a final call on whether China will be moved to later in the year?

If fatalities from the virus rise in the next few months in other countries and  even in F1 sport or management,  more F1 races may have to be cancelled. Keep in mind that F1 is an international sport.  Looks like I spoke too soon...the Australian GP is now Cancelled due to the virus! 

Edited by FOneFanatic

Officially cancelled now.

Perhaps the game can have a "what should have been" and a "what was" championships?

Alternatively, if it's not worth the effort to make a new game, work on 2021 and just add 2020 to the 2019 game as DLC.

I have an idea - why don't they just run this year's GP eSport fashion?! Is this a possible team strategy going foward? Why not. Going forward all teams and drivers should have access to a virtual rig contraption of some sort that's linked to Codemasters' F1 game and if inclement weather or disasters or virulent diseases such as we are experiencing now should prevent mobility, then all teams should have their drivers convene to a location in Britain somewhere and run the missed races or entire season virtually!  Hello! 

Can we get some sort of insight as to what will happen with the F1 2020 game? Will you keep all the tracks in the game? Will there even be a game at all if the season gets cancelled??? 

This is a valid topic, given the number of racing leagues currently racing on your F1 2019 game, it's gonna be pretty ensured that if there is no F1 2020 release people are gonna have to resort to extra time on the game, and there are limits on how much one would want to play a game when a new one should be in the wings. So like Macca said, it would be nice to get some clarity on this situation and give us players some insight on the state of play of things. 

Cancelled races should use last year's data, but I see no reason why the game, now so more than ever, should not be published, and sooner rather than later.  Let the game fill the gap where there is the possibility of the entire season being cancelled...a very plausible outcome. 

The entire 2004-2005 NHL season was cancelled due to a labor lockout but the game based on the season (NHL 2005) was still released normally. I remember Bahrain getting cancelled in 2011 and then removed from F1 2011 but are Codemasters really going to remove Albert Park, Sakhir, Hanoi, Shanghai, Zandvoort, Barcelona and Monaco from the game and still ask for full price? Not likely but I guess it might happen if their hands are tied by FOM. 

This might even offer Codemasters an opportunity to release the game slightly earlier since they can just wing it when it comes to the performance of the drivers and teams. And fans will be ravenous for new F1 content so the sales would probably go up, too.

It‘s only a game. F1 2020 should release without any limitations!

just release it like you have planned it - as said it is only a game - race calender as it was planned, car performance until you have some data and then update the rest. With the progression system the car performance is anyway mixed after 2 seasons, Toro Rosso is so far the best team in my season, Mercedes is mid field and Ferrari LAST

With the first 4 races now officially canceled and no guarantee at this point that ANY races will be going ahead an official 2020 F1 game with the full calendar raceable is going to look very much like a cynical and sick (!) cash grab from Codies. They would be better off making a decision fast and maybe releasing DLC or some kind of fantasy F1 game instead. If there ends up being no F1 real life season or a seriously depleted one game sales are going to tank hard anyway as they are mostly driven by the real thing.

Current world problems will be and should be a game changer. This isn't hysteria its pragmatism.

Posted (edited)

They should just have the calendar in game as it would have been in real without the disruption of the virus, so all 21 races in the original order.

This is honestly a great opportunity for Codies to throw in some proper editing features that allow us to change default team performances/lineups before starting career or allow us to change driver stats like Fifa allows with it's players since they wont have as much data to go on as usual. They could add reserve/former drivers to potential slots for driver transfers like the F2 drivers, Hulkenberg, Alonso, Button, Rosberg etc. too.

This will give us freedom and will completely open up and personalise our career modes.

Edited by Liaveil
  • Agree 2

F1 fans are suffering enough by not having real F1 races. I agree health and safety are highest priority but please at least release the official F1 game.

14 hours ago, maccastewart22 said:

Can we get some sort of insight as to what will happen with the F1 2020 game? Will you keep all the tracks in the game? Will there even be a game at all if the season gets cancelled??? 

Unfortunately I'm no tsuer they can as they don't know themselves atm. This is a development that needs to be monitored before any decisions can be made. Right now all we can do is hope for the best.

34 minutes ago, Liaveil said:

They should just have the calendar in game as it would have been in real without the disruption of the virus, so all 21 races in the original order.

This is honestly a great opportunity for Codies to throw in some proper editing features that allow us to change default team performances/lineups before starting career or allow us to change driver stats like Fifa allows with it's players since they wont have as much data to go on as usual. They could add reserve/former drivers to potential slots for driver transfers like the F2 drivers, Hulkenberg, Alonso, Button, Rosberg etc. too.

This will give us freedom and will completely open up and personalise our career modes.

It's up to the FIA and everything but I agree because unlike when Bahrain got called off in 2011 it was only because of trouble in that region. Whereas the Coronavirus Is affecting the entire world. It may have started In China but I don't think anyone specifically is to blame (though I wouldn't be surprised if Isis or AlQaeda or whatever tried to claim credit for it.) so I would say let the game have all the races that were scheduled to happen regardless

is the corona virus in any way affected the development of F1 2020? even at the beginning of beta registration?