Coronavirus and F1 2020 - Thread

UP100

Do note while viewing older messages that the thread title was changed from a Chinese GP specific title to a general title about F1 2020 on 13/03/2020.

Message added by UP100

With the 2020 F1 season for all intensive purposes cancelled (things will get progressively worse before it gets better), the importance of the release of F1 2020 has just been escalated to paramount! This could be the year that this game's release could be heralded as one of the most anticipated, where fans will virtually sample the Vietnam and Dutch new F1 circuits before actual F1 drivers! Bring it folks, and don't let the game be subject the corona virus, because the disease simply doesn't exist virtually! 

It's going to be interesting. There are cars built to race (at considerable cost) and no conditions under which racing can be held.

I think it's not inconceivable that the whole season is postponed and 2021 (regulations) delayed until 2022.

"Formula 1: Survive to Drive"

Posted (edited)

With all the Corona drama and F1 cancelation that is going on, wouldn't it be better to skip the F1 2020 game and continue with all the changes that still can be done in 2019, so we can continue playing F1 2019?

Just some example, Correct DRS zones, weather changes Leagues, F2 cars in Leagues etc? And all issues that are still in the game like SC to often in the game?

Just a question to the community here..would you prefer for this year F1 2019 with patches with some of above points or a new game F1 2020?

Edited by GioProductions
Info

So the question is, with all the potential race cancellations, will the the production of the game that requires much needed race data be hindered in anyway? Is this game still on schedule for a June delivery?

They probably won't have anything more than concept art and planning sketches for the two new tracks, but those were always gonna be a close call for production.

Well, as everybody knows, the coronavirus is hitting the world by storm as has it hit F1, with the first couple of rounds postponed. The question now is, what does this mean for F1 2020? With Codemasters having little to none IRL data to work with, are we possibly facing a delay. Dont get me wrong here, our health and safety is obviously the main priority, but i was just wondering if my theory could be correct, what do y’all think?

I think I don't care about a game. Codemasters make sure you guys are safe and we will have a new game next year. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, THEHAMZAGAMER12 said:

Well, as everybody knows, the coronavirus is hitting the world by storm as has it hit F1, with the first couple of rounds postponed. The question now is, what does this mean for F1 2020? With Codemasters having little to none IRL data to work with, are we possibly facing a delay. Dont get me wrong here, our health and safety is obviously the main priority, but i was just wondering if my theory could be correct, what do y’all think?

It would be nice if they *could* actually fix F1 2019 because it's still broken.

But what you have not thought about is the revenue stream. Without the F1 'new game' revenues, there may not be a Codemasters.

DLC would seem a way of extending the game's lifecycle. But the only meaningful DLC I can see selling is the updated 2020 cars and calendared tracks. And I understand this is probably not simply a Codemasters decision, but they bought the licence for this year and should be close to signing off the assets.

Unless you think custom helmets, race suits and gloves will fill the shortfall. IDK because I can't see the balance sheet. Are Codemasters a 'Laura Ashley' software house or are they a 'Tesco'?

Maybe this is the opportunity to float the model. Base game fixed (this is a wish) and annual DLC or Season Pass?

Edited by steviejay69

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately I have a strong feeling the next game will be the worst ever released by CM. Don't get me wrong, the reasons are totally understandable. Not only will they miss vital performance data from the early races, it is very likely that the development work of the game suffers also due to the current unfortunate state of affairs. That being said, there is no way they will not release a game, no matter how bad it is. At the very least they'd have to re-negotiate the license fees for this year, and with the sport facing losses in the hundreds of millions as it is, I find it hard to believe FOM would agree to such measures.

The performance of the cars will be off by a country mile both in terms of lap times and in between teams. The abysmally short support lifecycle of the games also means that I doubt very many players are willing a to pay a dime more for any extra content they might put out for the 2019 game. What comes around, goes around.

My prediction is that F1 2020 will be a re-sale of 2019 with full price, new liveries and an unrealistic performance level distribution between the teams.

Edited by janbonator
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, janbonator said:

Unfortunately I have a strong feeling the next game will be the worst ever released by CM. Don't get me wrong, the reasons are totally understandable. Not only will they miss vital performance data from the early races, it is very likely that the development work of the game suffers also due to the current unfortunate state of affairs. That being said, there is no way they will not release a game, no matter how bad it is. At the very least they'd have to re-negotiate the license fees for this year, and with the sport facing losses in the hundreds of millions as it is, I find it hard to believe FOM would agree to such measures.

The performance of the cars will be off by a country mile both in terms of lap times and in between teams. The abysmally short support lifecycle of the games also means that I doubt very many players are willing a to pay a dime more for any extra content they might put out for the 2019 game. What comes around, goes around.

My prediction is that F1 2020 will be a re-sale of 2019 with full price, new liveries and an unrealistic performance level distribution between the teams.

No but they will surely fix all the bugs right? the crashes? Realistic team performance is a total non-issue for me anyway because the AI sucks and online you only ever drive the equal cars. 

I would gladly pay full premium for exactly the same game, reskinned, but with all the bugs and glitches fixed.  I'd do a little dance and apologize to Codemasters for ever doubting them. FINALLY. 
That's a little fantasy tho. They are probably NOT fixing the bugs and working on new payed dlc for the next one as we speak. 

If they now made a trailer:

EXACTLY THE SAME GAME

BUT WITHOUT THE BUGS

TEAMS EVEN FIT THE CORRECT TIRES

THE GAME DOESN'T CRASH 

AND JEFF MAKES SENSE. 

F1 2020
CODEMASTERS GRANDEST
      GAME TO DATE

It would probably be a huge success. 
This is the perfect time for them to stop focusing on the nonsense and make a game that actually WORKS. before adding stuff that's only fun on a working game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, that would probably be for the best, though I wouldn't be willing to pay a full price for a recycled game that has already been more or less recycled for years. Furthermore, they probably have contractual obligations to make the cars identical to real life so they have to work on that. Sure, that's only the gfx deoartment and by all means they should be able to fix bugs while they are at it. I wouldn't hold my breath though..

18 minutes ago, janbonator said:

I agree, that would probably be for the best, though I wouldn't be willing to pay a full price for a recycled game that has already been more or less recycled for years. Furthermore, they probably have contractual obligations to make the cars identical to real life so they have to work on that. Sure, that's only the gfx deoartment and by all means they should be able to fix bugs while they are at it. I wouldn't hold my breath though..

It's the betatest that was f1 2019 that we should have a problem with paying full price for. 

If they actually fix it.. then THAT one would be worth paying full price for.

Of course they should have fixed THIS ONE a long time ago..
But yeah.. by now we know Codemasters' 'we support the game longer than ever' is just a bunch of lies and gesture politics. 
They did just enough to say look there's still patches coming, but the game is still broken to the core and 1 fix every 2 months for the hundreds of issues that plague the game.. is obviously not gonna tackle it. 

For now i keep hoping the fact that we don't hear about any 'new stuff coming' or wild stories about f3 being added is a good sign 
And they're actually focussing on the 'boring stuff' which is making the game actually gud. 

• Agree 1

I know this question is probably being asked quite frequently at this point, but we're staring down the barrell of a possible F1 cancellation period due to Covid-19. Is there in any shape or form any indication as to when we will know if there is or is not gonna be an F1 2020 for Playstation 4/PC/Xbox One, and if not... are we gonna at least get an F1 2020 skin/chassis patch for 2019 so we can at least have the Alpha Tauri and other new liveries/body shapes for the game? SO basically add a 2020 function with the same tracks etc.

I think by this time last year we had snippets of what was to come for F1 2019... I think at least a message from Lee would be accomodating more than anything. 

I'd also prefer this not to stem into a full scale discussion, so I'd appreciate if moderators and such would reply to this, or Codemasters higher ups. 

Absolutely agreed,we all know situation is not easy and nothing is predictable at this moment in time but it would be nice to have a statement or something from codemasters saying if f1 2020 will come out and how they planning to do it?

Hopefully a reply will come fast from them.

13 hours ago, Trans-Nation eSports said:

I know this question is probably being asked quite frequently at this point, but we're staring down the barrell of a possible F1 cancellation period due to Covid-19. Is there in any shape or form any indication as to when we will know if there is or is not gonna be an F1 2020 for Playstation 4/PC/Xbox One, and if not... are we gonna at least get an F1 2020 skin/chassis patch for 2019 so we can at least have the Alpha Tauri and other new liveries/body shapes for the game? SO basically add a 2020 function with the same tracks etc.

I think by this time last year we had snippets of what was to come for F1 2019... I think at least a message from Lee would be accomodating more than anything. 

I'd also prefer this not to stem into a full scale discussion, so I'd appreciate if moderators and such would reply to this, or Codemasters higher ups. 

Send an email then, don't post in a public forum? (The red squiggly lines are spellcheck flags, FYI.)

If I missed the thread, my bad, but have Codemasters confirmed that they're moving ahead with the production of F1 2020 and if yes, can we expect the same June release date this year?

6 hours ago, FOneFanatic said:

If I missed the thread, my bad, but have Codemasters confirmed that they're moving ahead with the production of F1 2020 and if yes, can we expect the same June release date this year?

The game hasn't even been announced yet and why should they bother? 

They've proven themselves unable of making f1 games. They're just gonna embarrass themselves even more. 

• Haha 1

Lets just make F1 95'  (94' had the unpleasant Senna death, 96' its only Williams, but 95 had Williams and benneton competitive etc) 

Plus it had a few different tracks like Adelaide, Argentina etc 

Would be awesome